• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 5, 2020

    Home Improvement: My neighbors planted japanese knotweed and it’s ruining my yard and foundation. I’ve spent over a grand trying to eradicate it. Can I take legal action? Can my neighbor be required to remove it? (NY)

    Home Improvement: My neighbors planted japanese knotweed and it’s ruining my yard and foundation. I’ve spent over a grand trying to eradicate it. Can I take legal action? Can my neighbor be required to remove it? (NY)


    My neighbors planted japanese knotweed and it’s ruining my yard and foundation. I’ve spent over a grand trying to eradicate it. Can I take legal action? Can my neighbor be required to remove it? (NY)

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Best options for emergency preparedness and well water?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    I have electric everything, and have fuel/battery backups for just about everything except the most important thing--my well water. I currently store water, but am looking to take it to the next level. I'm researching several options including:

    • adding a hand pump
    • diesel generator
    • gas generator
    • battery back up
    • solar
    • water tower
    • underground water cistern

    Any opinions?

    submitted by /u/Glad_Breath
    [link] [comments]

    Information request: how can you build a house out of shipping containers when metal flexes with temperature change? Wont it crack the walls?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    I don't know anything about building and maybe this is way beyond the sub's expertise, but I was watching shipping container homes and it just occurred to me: how would that work out in the long term?

    submitted by /u/DirtyPrancing65
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with wasps...

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post but I'm having an issue with wasps on the exterior of my home. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of these little bastards by themselves or do I need to hire an exterminator?

    submitted by /u/BurgundyFord
    [link] [comments]

    Toilet that doesn't make your legs go numb

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    I'm remodeling my bathroom atm, and one thing that sticks out to me is when use the toilet for anymore than a few minutes my legs go tingly and numb. If I'm to replace it what would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/HardSpaghetti
    [link] [comments]

    Sick after carpet removal.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Ok. Well I'm new at this and decided it would be a great idea to rip out my carpet that is 30 years old yesterday. Went well. A bit sore. But I'm really sick this morning. It's not the rona I know.. It from the carpet. I feel like the worst allergies in my throat and nose.

    Anyone know how long this lasts? What can I do to help?

    Yes I know know that I should have been more prepared with gloves and masks i. he future. Haha.

    submitted by /u/LostWingnut
    [link] [comments]

    What’s causing this to happen to my wall and how do I repair it? Plaster wall in stairway in almost 100 year old house.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    We bought our house about 3 years ago and have since noticed this crack form along our stairway wall. The wall is plaster and the house is almost 100 years old and located in the northern Midwest. I believe the other side of this wall would match up with the second floor floor/joists or where the second floor wall meets the floor. The crack seems to bulge so what's the best way of fixing this and preventing it from happening again in the future? pics

    submitted by /u/ultracombo
    [link] [comments]

    I got halfway through removing a large load-bearing wall. But then Coronavirus.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    So we gutted a wall between the living room and kitchen. Placed up temporary supporting walls.

    I would like to know the strength/type of beam I would need to use. Unfortunately, my wife does not want anyone in the house. She has enough concern working at a hospital.

    Can someone advise me on this if I were to send all measurements and photos? I will certainly pay you. I would like to see some of your calculations and credentials.

    Thanks! DM me if you like.

    submitted by /u/aaronheine
    [link] [comments]

    Deck Painting Help!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I painted my deck with Deckover from Home Depot and after one season it is peeling terribly! Mostly from where the sun hits it the most. I want to redo it this spring but don't want the same result. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sullys2323
    [link] [comments]

    So, who knows garage epoxy flooring well? Mines coming up and I'm clueless.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 03:01 PM PDT

    Long story short: House is about 10 years old. Previous owner put in an epoxy floor it looks like. We've had it about 2 now, and I've noticed there seems to be some spots where the tires go over it time and again where it's peeling up.

    See pictures here.

    Is there a way for me to fix this on my own with minimal investment in additional tools? I've been trying to google/youtube around but am not finding something straight forward talking about this, so I thought I'd ask the pros here.

    Thanks and hope you are all staying healthy.

    submitted by /u/swim_to_survive
    [link] [comments]

    Closing a Mortgage with a Bad Roof?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    We are close to contract on a house, but just found out that the roof is not in the condition the agent said.

    We have unlikely to get any more out of the owners, but I checked with an insurer and as it hasn't been maintained, they won't underwrite. And if we can't get insurance, mortgage won't close.

    Homeowner is quite stubborn.

    No leaks, but 30 years old, 2 layers and edges are curling. Inspector says it's DOA and local (HCOL) prices are probably 20k to replace.

    There will be equity in the property after close as we have negotiated well based on the economy, but it's a catch 22.

    Any creative ways to get the roof done now by the owners without them having to pay upfront or shift that into the mortgage?

    submitted by /u/DeepSouthExPat
    [link] [comments]

    Laminate to carpet transition problem

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    Help! First timer doing laminate and getting them laid out in the room was easy. Where I'm hung up is on the transition from the laminate to carpet.

    Here are photos: https://imgur.com/a/U1UAIxO

    My cuts at the doorway weren't all totally even so right now if I lay the transition strip down it won't completely cover the carpet. If I slide the metal piece that holds the transition strip in place closer to the carpet then I can cover the carpet but this will reveal the planks and won't totally cover them.

    I'm thinking I'll need to take my oscillating tool and cut a clean straight line across the planks, then cut another plank to fit the gap and fill that space. It won't be pretty but it seems like my only option short of ripping a ton of planks out and redoing all of the ones that butt up to the doorway.

    Any recommendations would help! I'm super embarrassed by this. I thought I was relatively handy and with Coronavirus having us out of work I was really hoping to finish this room up on my own. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/zblaxberg
    [link] [comments]

    My back, my neck, my neck and my back!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Pulling up all the staples and tack strips is hard work, but worth it. Any tips for making it go faster? http://imgur.com/gallery/ptq6Xvl

    submitted by /u/Ka_Tinka884
    [link] [comments]

    The finish under my kitchen table in my hardwood floors is flaking off. Can I lay down new finish as a temporary solution? I plan on having my floors totally refinished in about a year or two.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    How do I fill in a gap between existing tile and backer board for smooth backsplash installation?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    We just installed a new bathroom vanity that was slightly taller than the older one and it left us with an awkward gap between the existing tile and the backer board. I want to tile over it with a mosaic backsplash but have no idea what would be appropriate material to fill this gap with. I am a total beginner at this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Picture of the current situation below:

    https://i.imgur.com/6NNk4Ow.jpg

    submitted by /u/hewtab
    [link] [comments]

    How to correct paint buildup & blemishes on newly painted cabinets

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    Our home came with new hardwood cabinets that my wife and I decided to paint white. We purchased a kit (deglosser, paint, hard finish).

    In painting the cabinet doors we have some buildup that I'd like to fix. There's no hard finish on these yet and I'm afraid that if I sand or use a straight blade to remove the build up that I'm going to do more hard than good.

    What is the appropriate method to fix this? Can I apply the hard coat to "lock" in the surrounding paint and then sand down and refinish?

    submitted by /u/jimofthestoneage
    [link] [comments]

    Anti siphon garden faucet

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    I just bought a new construction house over the winter. It is now spring and I tried to turn on the water hose outside but no water comes out. I check the valve in the basement and made sure it is on. I doubt there is a blockage because it is a new construction house. I'm not sure what the issue is. Is there something I need to do for first time turning on that I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/polana2
    [link] [comments]

    How should a wall be finished behind a kitchen range? Tile backsplash to floor?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Our contractor is expecting to have a thin strip of countertop running behind our soon to be installed Bluestar range, for the backsplash tile to butt to. Does this seem right?

    Bluestar specs don't seem to suggest any particular wall finish behind the range.

    My thought is to have the tile behind (and above) the range extend to the floor (or baseboard). My contractor sees wallboard back there, but then that countertop strip, I'm afraid, may push the range out from the wall further than I'd like.

    Is a there settled standard for this? Or is it a matter of preference?

    We had a in-counter stove top and cabinet-installed oven before.

    submitted by /u/darklyshining
    [link] [comments]

    Is removing ceiling fan + light a job for an electrician?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    In our new home we have ceiling fans (south coast UK so no idea why), and want to remove them to replace with just lights. Is this a job that would require an electrician or can it be a DIYer

    submitted by /u/thingsmadeofwood
    [link] [comments]

    Electrical Room / Water Pipes Close - Hazard?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    My background experience in home improvement is limited - I work in tech but love to learn new stuff or be preventative with situations.

    I have interest in a home but wasn't so sure about the electrical box location or the condition of the pipes (looks rusty / oxidation). My thoughts are that the centered pipe may burst, and cause a bad situation.

    https://m.imgur.com/a/xmOqxCt

    Should I consider any modifications to that room?

    Thank you for the help.

    submitted by /u/joeybetamax
    [link] [comments]

    Low profile doorknobs?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    I have an exterior door that also has a sliding screen door. The entire assembly is the size of 3 doors, but it's two big windows and a door in the middle, then a sliding screen. The handles and locks were old and fell apart and they were this ugly-ass gold so I replaced all the knobs in the house. The problem is that the door knobs in question are keyed and they stick out about 2 3/4", meanwhile the screen door frame is only 1 1/2" from the door. So I can't shut the door if the screen is shut. Does anyone know where I can find keyed (or even in keyed, there's a deadbolt, which is fine) handles or knobs that protrude only 1 1/2" or less? I've looked all over the place.

    submitted by /u/j3rzakie
    [link] [comments]

    A few fence building questions! Gravel or concrete? Etc...

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    After getting quotes and realizing how expensive fences are (quoted for a 6ft wood privacy fence at $6.3k for 310 linear feet) we've decided to just test our luck and do it ourselves. Been researching for last couple days but have a few uncertainties.

    1. Crushed gravel or concrete with a gravel bottom for the posts? We live in Virginia if this helps anything. Or soil is just regular dirt not clay like at all. Finding mixed answers on this and can't decide. Worried about rotting as our lot in spots holds water after heavy rains. Also is Quikrete fine to use?

    2. How do you align the first two corner posts? Found plenty of info on how to align the post between the first two with string which seems simple but no idea how to start the second post.

    3. How much support is recommended for a horizontal fence? We've read tons of different answers for this. We were planning on just screwing the slats into the posts and having a 2x2 run vertically down the middle between the slats not touching the ground for extra support. Will this be sufficient?

    4. Will a one man auger be enough to dig the post holes? We have trees on the property and don't know how far the roots run. Will a one man auger get through roots?

    5. Any good gate guides? Planning on an 8ft gate that opens in the middle (two 4ft sections) and a small 4ft gate.

    I'm sure I'll think of something else while I dream at night about putting this sucker up.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/SpecialScheme8
    [link] [comments]

    Ripping up parquet flooring

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    So we are ripping up a small section of parquet flooring in our 1960's home and it's been adhered to a particle board like base over our subfloor. As we rip it up the adhesive is pulling up the particle board with it. We plan to put down laminate click flooring so should I just sand away the old adhesive and use self leveler for the ripped up spots? The internet is sparse with how-to's in this type of project.what we have done so far

    UPDATE: turns out it was particle board underlayment. I have now ripped it up and I am laying down OSB as the new underlayment.

    submitted by /u/Cbennett3395
    [link] [comments]

    How should I plug this hole in my door frame caused by rotten wood

    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi there. I was going to re-paint the frame around my door and realized that the bottom right maybe 4-5" were rotten. I have removed all of the rotten wood but don't have much experience plugging a hole that size. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/VzR5zPh

    submitted by /u/Argblat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment