• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 19, 2020

    Home Improvement: I'm breaking up an iron bathtub. Learn from my mistakes.

    Home Improvement: I'm breaking up an iron bathtub. Learn from my mistakes.


    I'm breaking up an iron bathtub. Learn from my mistakes.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 01:07 PM PDT

    My basement has a bathroom with an avocado green built in bathtub, enameled cast iron. It's a small bathroom with a low ceiling, and we're turning it into a laundry room. The tub had to go, but it weighs about 500lb - and there's not even enough room for two guys to straddle it and lift, let alone maneuver it around and out the back door.

    I learned that it was possible to break up old cast iron with a sledge hammer, so that's what I decided to do.

    When you hit the tub with the hammer, it's incredibly loud - so ear protection is a must. And when you hit it, the porcelain enamel flakes off and showers you and your surroundings in a thousand tiny (and large) shards of glass - so wear goggles, vacuum, protect the floor and nearby things, etc.

    Our tub was very thick (a quarter inch in the thinnest spots, nearly an inch at the rim), so it took a lot of blows to create the first crack and begin breaking off pieces.

    Once the tub begins to break apart, the pieces are very sharp, and often bristling with shards of porcelain - so gloves are a big help.

    And of course, the debris weigh a ton.

    submitted by /u/iglidante
    [link] [comments]

    I built a raised bed garden this weekend.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    It took 2 days, lots of water, and some patients. The garden is all done, and now the wife can plant to her heart's desire.

    The fruits of my labor.

    Now with 100% more instructions!

    *I'm going to assume I forgot some step/detail when I wrote down how I built it. There wasn't any written plan going into this project. I gave it a good think and bought the materials. Somehow I ended up with an extra sheet of galvanized roofing, but I can return it later.

    submitted by /u/nineteenhand
    [link] [comments]

    Oh the joys of fixing old houses!

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 07:17 AM PDT

    1917 foursquare Just discovered that the fir joists in my house are not all the same width. They range from just under 9" to 10"! They run atop the same beams and walls with no particular pattern to the odd sizing. We have found some strange build things, but this just seems to take the cake! While slowly levelling and lifting, there were hints and clues along the way that something was just not right, but finally when we doubled up some joists yesterday to accommodate a bathroom, we discovered something unexpected. The two joists that sit side by side were more than 1/2" off from each other. All our difficulties getting things straight and level with this project now made a little more sense. How are the floors even with joists off so bad you're wondering? Well there are random fir strips between the original fir flooring and the plank subfloor to even it all out, and Ohh it was also the perfect space for mice - they had their own mini realm right below our feet! I'd love to ask the builders some questions.

    submitted by /u/never___nude
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a ladder, bought now I'm questing if I'm too heavy.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 02:22 AM PDT

    I am.on a budget an got a good deal on a 16 ft extension ladder type 3. Good condition.

    I bought it so I could get on my roof (12'), clean the gutters, and shed.

    I am 6'2 and I fluctuate between 190 and 200 lbs. I didnt know really anything about ladder class when I bought it but saw type 3 had a 200lbs weight limit. Am I safe?

    submitted by /u/Messarion
    [link] [comments]

    Why can’t AC ducts be installed in the wall, as opposed to on the ceiling?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    Edit: YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for all your help!

    Forgive my ignorance, and any wrong terms I may be throwing around.

    My family bought a tiny, old house that needs a ton of work. They are trying to get air in the former sunroom. This room has insulation and drywalls, insulated ceiling, etc. The previous owners were in the process of converting it to a room.

    We got quotes from contractors, some of which terrified us. They all said the central unit can support the extension BUT the ceiling and roof of the room have to be raised, in order for the ductwork to go through.

    Costs:

    $10K to raise the ceiling of a less than 150 sqft room. Floor to ceiling is currently 7'10 feet. There's insulation and decorative wood panels.

    $1.7K to extend the AC. The nearest AC duct is like two feet away.

    $4K for a mini-split system but they required building a brick wall.

    —————

    I asked why it can't go on the wall, without raising the ceiling of the entire room, and I never got a concrete answer. I was brushed off by all of them in such way as to imply It was an asinine question.

    I notice that many new homes have ducts on the walls.

    Can someone explain why the duct can't be installed on the wall? The wall in between is most definitely load-bearing. I'm just curious. I don't understand where it is wrong.

    I've read forums that say it's not the most efficient way to get AC but can't understand why it wouldn't be doable in an old house yet it is seemingly becoming more common in new construction.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/achybreak
    [link] [comments]

    Underground dog fence

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    I laid out my underground electric dog fence wire and thought it wouldn't be that bad to bury it. I was wrong. I just saw an "ez trencher" and want to go rent one. My only issue is that I already laid out the fence so there is no spool. Anyone ever use one of these ez trenchers without the spool?

    Edit: added words: electrical and wire

    submitted by /u/jshea621
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got around to labeling my breaker panel

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/aw9dfVT

    Wish I had before pictures, but you know the drill: half the circuits were mislabeled or confusing, or missing since I added a few circuits, or wrong since I cleaned up old circuits.

    Great label maker too 👍

    submitted by /u/trd86
    [link] [comments]

    Are we crazy? Thinking of DIYing storm drain pipe replacement.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    We've discovered that the drain pipe connected to our downspouts is crushed (old clay pipe). We'd have to replace from where it leaves house all the way to retaining wall. See pics here:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O9b11tVRRXg6JIGiqqNmsZr_Xb0pD-SN/view?usp=drivesdk

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AEHYEiZdjcKccfyFcp5KgIpAauc3d_F_/view?usp=drivesdk

    Plumbers want to use excavator but say they can't guarantee saving the retaining wall.

    The procedure seems simple enough for DIY, and if we hand dig we can be careful around the wall. Any input would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Rastalives77
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with wood attached to brick wall from old window planter?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    When we first bought this house last spring, the home inspector suggested we remove an old window planter on the front of the house. Yesterday we did just that. The only problem is we are left with 11 pieces of wood jutting out of the side of our house.

    They are solid and go through the wall. As new homeowners, we are clueless as to what to do next. It has been suggested to cut them flush and seal/paint over them. Is this the best route?

    Photos

    submitted by /u/CarryUsAway
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build a 6ft privacy fence. Do you guys have any advice?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    I want a basic privacy fence but I don't want to pay the $5k I was quoted. I feel confident I can build it myself, but any advice from someone who has done it before is welcome. It's going to be 6', 200 linear ft with 1 gate. I am using basic pressure treated wood from Lowe's and will seal/stain when I'm finished. I am looking for any tips from people who have done this and any snags you may have run into along the way. Wish me luck guys!

    submitted by /u/jshrn15
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas on how to close wall openings?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    We purchased a house recently and the upstairs bedroom has openings in the wall that lead down into the house (pictures below). We have a toddler and a baby on the way so we really want to try and at least dampen the sound to the rest of the house. We can't afford to have a contractor close the holes right now so we're trying to think of cheaper ideas for the time being. I thought maybe we could cover them with soundproof foam but I couldn't find any pieces that large. Also, they have to be covered from inside the bedroom because the other side is two stories tall. So I come to you to see if anyone has any other ideas for us! Thanks in advance.

    Here are the measurements:

    Two large holes: 70"x46"

    Small hole: 23"x36"

    Angled hole: 70"x88"

    https://imgur.com/a/1Cl5Rwz

    submitted by /u/ohwhattheheck
    [link] [comments]

    Tankless Water Heaters - Navien

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Hi there, I have some questions about tankless water heaters. I am at the stage of product selection. I'm choosing a tankless water heater as I have little space to work with in my utility room. The previous owner lived alone and had a 60L electric tank which is not nearly enough for my family.

    I find tankless water heater reviews aren't as common online as appliance reviews or rankings. Most of the time it's a water company's opnion piece on the product rather than consumer reviews. My water heater installer recommends the Navien brand of tankless water heaters, and for my house (2 bathroom bungalow) he recommends the 180,000 BTU model.

    I'm looking for feedback on the Navien brand. Has anyone installed them, what's your opinion? Does anyone have one, have you had issues over the years.

    submitted by /u/jellyking_1990
    [link] [comments]

    What in the world kind of sink connector do I have?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    So I am trying to replace a bathroom sink faucet and the connections on the new faucet don't match up to the bizarre domed things connected to my water lines. They are also a few inches too short to hook up direct to the lines which seem to have connections that match up to the ones on the new faucet. I've been to several hardware stores and haven't seen anything that looks anything like the weird domed connectors and I don't know what they're called to look them up. Our house was built in '97 if that helps at all. I either need something to lengthen my new connectors or an adaptor that will hook onto the weirdo ones. Please obi wan ke-reddit, you're my only hope and thank you!

    submitted by /u/matthewmichael
    [link] [comments]

    Ants in my bedroom HELPPPP

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 04:55 AM PDT

    Hi. So I have had an ant problem for the past 2-3 weeks. I think it's because I used a sugar scrub in my hair (brown sugar + olive oil) one time, but it was like three weeks since i did that and the ants started appearing a week or so after I did it. These ants frequent the bathroom and my bedroom, which is right next to the bathroom. I rarely eat in my room and haven't ate there since the ants took over. I have 0 food in my room. My room isn't dirty — we washed my sheets, vacuumed, disinfected, but they still keep on coming. We put out Terro baits in my room and the bathroom for a day and it caught about 20 ants between the 2 baits. But, they were still appearing so we put another one in my room and left it out for 2 days and no ants were in it. So we thought it was clear for me to sleep in my room again but I seen one crawling on my laptop last night and then one crawling on my bed this morning. I'm fed up. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like they're attracted to me and always crawling on me. Can someone tell me why they keep coming and what else I can to get them to leave me alone?? Please help thanks!!

    edit: I don't think they're coming from outside.. probably the crawlspaces. I have a window in my room but it hasn't been open since like last year. i live in a big apartment building on the second floor.

    These boys are really tiny black or dark brown ants idk what specific type of ant but thats how they look. And they aren't flying ones either

    submitted by /u/carinorn
    [link] [comments]

    Should I paint this part of the door?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/3rKAhY4.jpg

    Edit: okay decided to try to remove the paint from the bolt lock; any tips on how to do this?

    My husband is obsessing over this section of the door, an old latch strike, which I've left unpainted. It's metal, and I believe it should be left as it is, plus it will scratch when the latch hits it. What do you guys think would be best aesthetically?

    The painted metal section ON the door (where the knob is) I felt I had to paint; it had several layers of paint from decades ago and I thought it best to just paint over yet again. Does it looks funny though? It was like this when we bought it, I've just painted everything that was a cream colour with white.

    submitted by /u/TintinTheSolitude
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing an Oven Coil?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    So my oven coil went out and made me think I was in a warzone for a second.

    Looking online this seems like a fairly simple repair, I'm not the most handy person but I can do a few things, never really worked with an oven before. So far the part has been extremely difficult to find (Tried GE website, Amazon, and Home Depot but can't seem to find the correct part)

    My question is two-fold: First basically everyone is telling me that this repair isn't something that should be done on your own has anyone done this before? Is it a really advanced repair. Secondly is there another place to possible look for the correct part? Its a baking coil GE Model: J-BP71E0J1BB

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rwh151
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a sink to a toilet room!

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    Hello! I have a house with a "half bathroom" in the basement which is literally just a tiny room with a toilet in it. There is a utility sink on the unfinished side of the basement just outside this toilet room - how difficult would it be to add a small corner-mounted sink into the half bath? I have never taken on this kind of plumbing project before but I have to imagine since there's already a sink and toilet it would be pretty possible to tap into the lines for an extra sink. Thanks for any ideas you might have!

    submitted by /u/excitedheart
    [link] [comments]

    Finishing a basement in two phases?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    I'm moving into a house with an unfinished basement that I would like to have finished and add a full bathroom. I would envision one area to be roomed off and left unfinished as that's where the HVAC and water heater are. The rest of the basement besides the HVAC area and bathroom would be left completely open to have room for a workout area, home theater area, and leftover space for storage. If money wasn't an issue, I would have everything finished at once. Could I have the "open" area finished (drywall, floor, ceiling, electrical) and then come back a year or so later to wall off the HVAC area and add a bathroom? Or would it be better to just save up and do all of it at once? Total basement area is roughly 1200 feet.

    submitted by /u/sandman8727
    [link] [comments]

    Resources to Become "Handier"?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 10:49 AM PDT

    I've always wanted to become better at fixing things myself, especially around the house. I'm not completely hopeless, but my skill set is basically just the basics. I'm willing to do the work, I'm just usually nervous I'll do it wrong and need to hire a pro to fix it anyway. Now that I've got some more free time at home I was looking for recommendations for really good beginner materials for common projects around the house that can be done without hiring a contractor.

    Some examples. Maybe working with drywall (removing, adding, etc), fixing or adding molding, basic electrical work. One specific project, I have a bathroom that I'd love to do a very basic remodel...just keeping the bones as is and replacing bathroom vanity and floor tile. That seems like something that can be done without a pro with some basic knowledge, but maybe I'm underestimating.

    Anyway, if you guys have some solid sites you enjoy for beginners to learn basic skills, I'd love to check them out. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/geli7
    [link] [comments]

    Removing thinset from plaster walls

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    Remodeling my bathroom and removing a few rows of ceramic wall tile. The tiles popped off fine and I've been going at the thinset for awhile now. I've been using a 2" paint scraper and a hammer to knock off the ridges and then 36 grit sanding with my oscillating tool and it's been getting the job done, but slowly.

    About done for the day and going to wrap up tomorrow, but figured I'd pop in and see if anyone has any suggestions to make it easier? Walls are dual layer plasterboard with gloss coat.

    I have a heat gun, steamer and just about every hand tool under the sun, but didn't try heat yet because I wasn't sure if it was going to make it worse or not (visualizing taffy-consistency mortar smeared everywhere is what made me hold off). Anyway, any tips? I'm going to be skim-coating the walls and reinstalling the bullnose tiles when I'm done so I'm not overly concerned about a few gouges.

    submitted by /u/Thracka951
    [link] [comments]

    Helo all! Water heater question

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! Quick question for you. I replaced my 50gal water heater about 3 weeks and noticed the pressure release valve has a slight leak to it. Should it be leaking? My last one never did. Sometimes it's a drip sometimes it's a small steady stream. If I apply slight pressure to the little valve lever (not sure the technical term) it stops leaking but once I let it go it starts to leak. Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dremag2009
    [link] [comments]

    Heat Pump Water Heater and Clothes Dryer in same space?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 01:48 PM PDT

    Hello! We have a heat pump water heater in our basement, and are considering investing in a heat pump clothes dryer as well. Basement is approximately 1000 sq ft and we live in the northeast. Any concern about not enough humidity in the air for both?

    submitted by /u/priamos
    [link] [comments]

    Soil up to siding on house

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    Is it bad to have the soil line come up to the siding in a house, or should the dirt be below the siding line, where there is foundation? Cleaning up a side of my house and encountering this. Wondering if I should lower the soil line up to the house.

    submitted by /u/molder5
    [link] [comments]

    Had to dig down 12 ft to repair a broken sewer line. Now I plan to backfill dirt and gravel and pour new sidewalk over work area? How to avoid dirt settling and sinking over time?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    In Chicago.

    If the concrete sidewalk is poured within a day or two of the backfill going in my concern is, even with tamping, backfilling a 12 ft hole is going to drop...alot.

    Should I wait to pour the sidewalk? If so, how long?

    Can I use the hose during backfill to keep the dirt compacted and reduce voids?

    Pics - https://m.imgur.com/a/7hH1x3D

    Edit: the plumber is concerned too much tamping might dislodge or break the clay pipe.

    As of now my plan is lots of water and light tamping for the first 6ft. Then water and heavy tamping for the 2nd 6ft.

    Any idea if this will allow me to pour the new sidewalk on top without risk of soil compacting under? I'm afraid the new sidewalk will sink and/or crack.

    submitted by /u/nickkid09
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Schluter KERDI curbless shower pans

    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    So I'm the planning process of renovating my bathroom and I'm looking at different shower systems. I particularly like the schluter preformed pans and I'm considering going curbless.

    One thing I don't understand is how to compensate for the height of those pans. The schluter instructions show how to recess the substrate floor by sistering the floor joists and cutting sheets to fit between them. But that gives you a 3/4" recess, no more. The preformed pan I'm looking at is 2" thick at it's highest side. How do you compensate for the 1 1/4" remaining without cutting into the floor joists? Or raising the entire bathroom floor, which I'd to avoid. Has anyone experienced with these shower systems, I'm kind of at a loss here.

    submitted by /u/ellipsis9210
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment