• Breaking News

    Monday, April 13, 2020

    Home Improvement: I finally found a stylish hair catcher for my bath tub :)

    Home Improvement: I finally found a stylish hair catcher for my bath tub :)


    I finally found a stylish hair catcher for my bath tub :)

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 03:39 PM PDT

    my 5 second invention— a hair catcher

    I've been looking for a functional and stylish hair catcher for a while. Today I made it :) It's the invention I am very proud of— cost nothing but solve the problem. I believe I can make it better , but for now, it is good enough. Hope it helps :)

    submitted by /u/5gigi5
    [link] [comments]

    Installed some outdoor drainage

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    We've been in the house for a little over a year and a half, and suddenly last year the steps started heaving. At least that's what we noticed first. Then I started noticing why: all the water from a whole patio was draining into a sidewalk which was then draining into.. well, nothing. So I fixed that.

    https://imgur.com/a/AWGQ8U6

    submitted by /u/cosmicsans
    [link] [comments]

    I’m expecting a tree to fall on my house today....what should I do (short of cutting it down yesterday)

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:35 AM PDT

    Condensed version, my neighbors have a super old black oak tree about 20 feet from my house. In the fall during a mild windstorm it dropped a 30 foot branch into my yard, just narrowly missing the house.

    Today, we are expecting a wild windstorm. Sustained winds at 50mph and gusts of 70+mph. The ground is super saturated and wet, making trees less stable. The winds will be coming from such a direction, that this tree is most likely going to drop, or at least drop branches, directly on my house. If this happens, it will most likely take out my entire first floor.

    Short of having the tree cut down prior to this, is there anything I should do to prepare myself? Ive already confirmed my home insurance and have the details for it. I've got all my devices charged up and my super valuables moved into the basement. Maybe I'm overthinking this?

    EDIT: it's actually a black walnut. Unsure if that makes a difference.

    UPDATE: as of now (16:30) the winds have shifted away from the house, so I'm a bit less worried. The forecast has also downgraded the expected gusts to 50-60 mph. We're sheltering in our (finished, thank Jesus) basement for now. Will keep you updated.

    UPDATE 2: tree in question
    basketball hoop for size reference. You can see on the right side where a large branch broke off last year and narrowly missed the house.

    submitted by /u/Augusta13
    [link] [comments]

    Please critique my caulking job. How did I do?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/Uv0i6F9

    I'm in a new home that's settling and drying out. My bathroom counter came apart from the wall. The builder sent someone to fix it and I thought the job was sloppy. I fixed it myself cleaning it out and a fresh bead of caulk. I'm a newbie. Did I do okay? The bead is slightly bigger than I would've liked but there was a mess up the wall from the previous repair that I couldn't clean off without damaging paint/drywall. Please critique.

    submitted by /u/LifesOptimist
    [link] [comments]

    Power went out while wife was in the shower, unaware the power was out she ran all the pressure down. Oh we’re on a well.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Kicked the auto pressure switch on (held it for 30 seconds and is reading 100psi (is that too high in the expansion tank?)... I can get the the water to flow in the basement but having a hard time getting it to go up to the main floor and 2nd levels. Feels like the expansion tank is dry and full of too much air...please help!

    submitted by /u/hfxadv
    [link] [comments]

    water removal company said it would be 180/hr, got a bill for $1600 for 2 hrs

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    I had a bit of a plumbing issue at a rental house, the backflow preventer flap malfunctioned and caused a backup into the basement, after a plumber got out to fix it, I ended up calling a water removal company to do some cleanup. I was referred to them by another plumber I called that wouldn't be able to do anything without them draining the basement (the plumber I actually used was able to fix it without any drainage first).

    Since I was out of the country I was doing everything remotely and coordinating with the tenants. The water removal company said they could come out and didn't say anything much about price, I asked before we hung up and they said it should be about 180 an hour. Later after they started the tenant said they said it should take about 1-2 hours.

    Afterwards the company tries to get me to sign a work authorization over email, it has a price list of everything they do, as well as an authorization for $12000 and authorization to put a lien on my house. I'm not that comfortable with this and I never end up signing. I ask for an invoice, they say ok, they also ask me to sign the work auth again, I just kind of ignore that, and about a week and a half later they finally send the invoice and it's about $1600.

    basic breakdown is: about 750 for labor, for 2 hours (350 for technician, 400 for supervisor), (after hours rate, normal is $120/135/hr). 185 for extraction truck, 1 hour. $20 for 0.5 boxes of 42 gallon garbage bags. $105 for 2 gallons of disinfectant. $220 for dump fee pickup. $150 for 12% resource & clerical fee. $150 tax.

    Basically I am wondering: are these prices fair, and am I justified that this seems like a bit of a bait and switch tactic how they deliberately didn't give me prices ahead of time and tried their best to get me to sign something with no price first.

    submitted by /u/m3S7cm55
    [link] [comments]

    I have noticed when it rains constantly in during a day that my downspouts will send the water to the front of my garden. It sort of creates a moat. Is this an an issue? Is so anything that can be done to fix it. Or is it nothing to worry about?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    What is the best way to repair cracks in plasterboard? If the cracking is movement related, won’t it just crack again?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Here is a photo of my situation.

    Many recommend repair with jointing tape and compound, however if the crack is movement related won't it just crack again over time?

    I know caulking would have more tolerance for movement, but it would have a poor finish.

    How would you approach this?

    Advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/KombuchaPro
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for Washing Machine mold??

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    Hello!! I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to clean/remove extensive mold growth on the rubber seal of a front loading washing machine.

    I recently moved into a condo that is about 10 years old and noticed my washing machine smelled and had a lot of black mold: https://www.reddit.com/user/nouriny/comments/g0usp1/mold/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_term=link (photo of my machine)

    I would like to try my best to clean it before giving up and paying for a replacement. I tried to spray vinegar on the seal and let it soak but it just all runs down to the bottom of the seal, how do I clean off the mold on top? That's where most of it is.

    Any tips are appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/nouriny
    [link] [comments]

    Effed up countertop

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/6cT4bQh So we recently had our master bathroom renovated. We got a 72" vanity with double sinks, and I just noticed that the countertop was placed crooked. On the left side of the vanity, the countertop sticks out about 1cm past the front of the cabinet. On the right end of the vanity, the countertop is about flush with the front of the cabinet. For some reason, the cabinet isn't up against the wall on the right side. The top is siliconed on to the cabinet, and there is a separate backsplash piece that is siliconed to both the countertop and the wall. Questions: How difficult is this to fix? Would there be plumbing involved? Is this something we should attempt ourselves, or should I get the contractor to come fix it? Is there a possibility of the countertop breaking (carrara marble) in the process of disconnecting it from the cabinet?

    submitted by /u/carrie0005
    [link] [comments]

    Has anybody fixed concrete brick foundation walls shearing themselves?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    It looks like the concrete blocks moved as a result of wet earth on that side of the wall; can I fix it myself using a shovel and rented equipment? pic of the shearing gap in the 80 year old concrete block foundation

    submitted by /u/Bostonrc32
    [link] [comments]

    What is the purpose of creating a drainage system to the curb?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    This week 2 of my neighbors have had drainage dug to the curb. What is the purpose? Do I need to do it this? I live in a town where hurricanes and flooding run rampant.

    If you have seen all of my other r/homeimprovement posts you know I am a new homeowner who needs a lot of guidance...

    submitted by /u/sk8erboi1985
    [link] [comments]

    How should I close this void / gap in my garage?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I currently have a decent sized gap near my garage door. This is in the bottom corner where the slab has settled in different ways on each side of the door. Hopefully you guys can tell me the best way to fill this.

    My first thought is to throw concrete to fill in the spots where the concrete used to be, then foam the gaps from there, but want to make sure I'm not screwing something up with this approach

    https://imgur.com/a/NQ4CrOj

    submitted by /u/bmwill
    [link] [comments]

    Dehumidifier reccomendations?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Have a small apartment with two people in it. Have to clean mold every few months and had issues with it growing on a few shirts in closet, in corners of room, and other susceptible fabric types. I notice condensation on windows whenever we shower or cook food typically.

    Wondering if a dehumidifier might help slow down growth of mildew/mold?

    Like anything these days when I try to get honest reviews - its hard to come by. Everything seems to be just affiliate marketing crap they get a commission off of if you click and buy. Thinking of buying one that is larger just so when we end up moving in to a bigger place its function is transferable from small to large space.

    If I were to buy one...what is a good reliable brand, energy efficient, and has an automatic timer? Local Costco sells Danby 50 pint w/ pump.

    submitted by /u/ender41990
    [link] [comments]

    Can I put composite deck tile straight over concrete slab?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    We have an ugly concrete slab patio and I want to cover it. But as it is there's only about a 4" step up to the door from the slab, so building the traditional wood deck over the slab would add too much height.

    Found these and wonder if it could be a reasonable happy medium. They seem to have grooves underneath that would allow for water to pass through and drain, but they're still pretty low to the ground.

    Would I still need sleepers? Or could I roll with these?

    submitted by /u/Aware-Reaction
    [link] [comments]

    Heavy rains, water spills over my gutters. Why?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/6kTOX6l.jpg

    I swear my gutters are cleaned out! It just seems whenever there are heavy rains here this one corner tends to spill over. Anyone have an idea why?

    submitted by /u/Lurklog
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me with my renovation problem

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    I'm taking carpet off the stairs and see they are hardwood until I get to the landing, there its got this ugly lip going to old subfloor, any ideas how I can integrate new hardwood here? There is a similar problem at the top of the stairs, only a couple inches of that old wood then the area which we are redoing in new bamboo hardwood. I think we're kind of stuck here and not sure how to make these stairs for the rest of the update. I had hoped to keep the hardwood stairs but with the landing not blending I'm not sure how to proceed. Any thoughts?

    https://i.imgur.com/7JsRTSu.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/ORRFMTh.jpg

    submitted by /u/razzac11
    [link] [comments]

    We had an earthquake now our house makes noises.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    We had a 5.6 magnitude earthquake a few weeks ago and our house has been making pops and creaks ever since. I thought it was just natural sounds from the temp/climate going from super cold and damp to warm, sunny, and dry. I can't visibly see any cracks in walls or ceilings. Haven't been up to the attic yet but I'll look.

    There is also a specific load bearing wall that has the newly installed cabinets that makes popping noises when I walk by it.

    Any thoughts? If this is something I need to investigate further, who do I even call?

    submitted by /u/DoingitFortheMusic
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Ceiling Thatchery?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    What's the deal with this ceiling? Definitely what damage, but what's the ceiling made out of?

    https://ibb.co/cbm0QMX

    submitted by /u/IHaveQuestions007
    [link] [comments]

    Tank or Tankless Water Heater

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    Moving into a new townhouse in a couple weeks and the hot water heater needs replacing. It's just my husband and myself now, kids in the future. Do you recommend tank or tankless water heater and why? We're trying to be cost efficient, and water is covered through HOA costs. Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/SwimmingThroughSpace
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips for getting rid of a cigarette smell coming from bathroom exhaust fan?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    Hey /r/HomeImprovement! Long time caller, first time listener.

    Bought a 1970s condo a few months back. It had a faint smell of smoke, but nothing a fresh coat of paint and carpet cleaning couldn't fix. After moving in and living in the space for a while, I noticed that I would catch a whiff of cigarette smoke every now and then. Nothing constant, but just enough to frustrate me. After blocking off certain parts of the house to trace the smell, I eventually found that it is coming from the bathrooms. There is an HVAC vent and exhaust fan in each bathroom, but I think the source is the exhaust fan. I'm assuming the root cause is one of the follow:

    1) Someone (or many people) smoked in the house before I moved in, so it's just a matter of cleaning out the smoky ducts.

    2) Maybe my neighbor smokes in their house, and we share the same bathroom exhaust fan ductwork. Would that be a likely scenario for a smoky smell seeping into my place?

    I've read all the warnings that having your HVAC ducts cleaned isn't worth the cost (my HVAC technician even warned me against it). However, what is the popular opinion on cleaning the bathroom exhaust fan ductwork? I've already taken the fan out and cleaned it as well as what housing and ductwork I could reach without any specialized brushes. Do ozone machines work for this type of situation? Any other recommendations?

    Sincerely,

    I Wish My Bathroom Just Smelled Like Poop

    submitted by /u/RayCharlesDarwin
    [link] [comments]

    Lumpy lawn

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Live in the Midwest, lots of snow and freezing which begins sometime in October and this year ended probably back in February. We also have a ton of squirrels and likely night critters. My lawn feels like somebody threw a bunch of land mines which exploded all over the place.

    Any suggestions on what I can do to make it a little better? I'm not looking for perfection ... but it has to be a bit better. Help!

    submitted by /u/hdpq
    [link] [comments]

    Mini fridge

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    My mini fridge was unused for 5+ years and I would like to use it.

    Do I just plug it in and wait for it to cool or is there any maintenance I should do for an appliance that was in storage for year?

    submitted by /u/awkwardly_competent
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with how to paint this buffet table

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:33 PM PDT

    I recently got this buffet table for free and I've been wanting to paint the whole thing white instead of it being two colours. I've never done anything like this before and need some help with how to do it and what to start with. Do I need to sandpaper it before painting? What kind of paint/brush do I need? Do I need to put anything on top of the paint?

    Here's a picture of what it looks like: https://imgur.com/Cc91ukX

    submitted by /u/ndndgal93
    [link] [comments]

    Panel over plaster help

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    Hi, I've stumbled into a bit of a renovation project on a home built in 1908 in the midwest. There's a lot of work to be done but given Covid-19 I won't be getting down to business for a while. Anyways, the walls are all old bumpy horsehair plaster but in the kitchen there seems to be paneling over it. I've linked a picture that shows how uneven it is...is this indicative of any issues other than looking like crap? Water damage, heat swell, general buckling, sagging from age, shitty install??? Thanks in advance, I have never taken on any projects involving plaster walls or anything slapped over them. wall

    submitted by /u/mausxrat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment