• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 7, 2020

    Home Improvement: The floor in my shed was completely rotted out so we replaced it. We left a note for whoever sees it next.

    Home Improvement: The floor in my shed was completely rotted out so we replaced it. We left a note for whoever sees it next.


    The floor in my shed was completely rotted out so we replaced it. We left a note for whoever sees it next.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    Just wanted to share some love for my cheap vinyl flooring.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    It isn't what I would have installed (and I'll probably change it out), but I have been living in my new home for a year and have learned to appreciate it. I have two little dogs who love to come into the house all muddy, and I am constantly spilling things in the kitchen, and this flooring has been really forgiving. No grout stains to clean, no tile cracks, and it is very soft on my feet.

    The old owners made the cheap choice, but it's been working great for me.

    submitted by /u/sk8erboi1985
    [link] [comments]

    Polybutylene is ruining my life!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    I am in the process of selling my house. It is a brick ranch built in 1997. The roof was replaced in 2014, and the hvac in 2015. Also the kitchen and bathroom were both redone in the last three years. That said, I went into inspection expecting no major issues.

    My sale is about to fall through because of polybutylene pipes. This is the plumbing that was original to the house. Everything that had to be redone or replaced during remodel was done so with sharkbite pex.

    Apparently home owners insurance won't cover the polybutylene plumbing. Has anyone ever heard of this?!?!

    submitted by /u/__Gettin_Schwifty__
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased a home!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    After reading a thousand posts, many thanks to this sub for the advice, suggestions, comments and things to take into consideration. The support offered here is immeasurable.

    submitted by /u/MadameKravitz
    [link] [comments]

    After a little DIY carpentry and plumbing, we've got a dishwasher!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 08:29 AM PDT

    This was a fun project, and a first for me. Demo existing cabinets while leaving countertop and end support in place, install some new plumbing connections under the sink, run the water line and drain house through corner cabinetry, frame in the dishwasher space and then resize existing drawers and doors for the resulting extra space. All in all, I'm super satisfied with how it all turned out. Dishwasher is working perfectly, and I think it looks pretty good to boot.

    submitted by /u/xerxes_fifield
    [link] [comments]

    How to soundproof master bedroom door?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Howdy all

    This is the door to my bedroom. It opens up to a very noise and active part of the house where the kids exist happily :)

    How do I soundproof this door so it doesn't wake us parents up?

    As you might see, there is a 1 inch space at bottom of door. Not sure if this is normal.

    Thanks folks.

    bedroom door images

    submitted by /u/callmewoodchuck
    [link] [comments]

    Is this granite or quartz?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    Curious what the countertops in my relatively new to me house are made of so I know how to best take care of them.

    https://imgur.com/3rtapsO

    Edit: here's a photo of underneath the overhand. It has a rough, unfinished texture and appearance https://imgur.com/p8E84b0

    submitted by /u/beeej517
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a new house, trying figure out who makes these cabinets or if I can repaint them

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    Hi guys. Long-time reddit lurker. My bf and I just bought a house. We love it. One thing that drives me crazy are the dark cabinets that a previous owner installed.

    https://imgur.com/a/6AIyIiR

    I was wondering if anyone could recognize the manufacturer? Or if anyone's knows if they are the type that can be repainted.

    I really appreciate any help/advice.

    submitted by /u/nylener
    [link] [comments]

    What is this roof thing called?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    The front roof / wall thing on our house is pretty ugly. I'd like to look at what other people have done, but I don't know what term to use that describes this part of a house. Any ideas?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/fyVgluS[Photo on Imgur](https://imgur.com/gallery/fyVgluS)

    submitted by /u/LipstickSingularity
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC Guy says system was installed incorrectly... significant drainage issues.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    We've had continuous problems with our attic HVAC. The repair guy sent by the warranty company says that the drainage pipe is clogged so I fixed that with the shop-vac. He's also installing new coils due to a leak.

    Most importantly he says the system was installed incorrectly. For starters he says the unit should have been raised up so it wasn't sitting directly in the tub. He also says there should have been a drain coming off the basin. He doesn't believe that installing a line onto the basin tub would work.

    I'm wondering should I install a condensate pump so the water drains from the unit into the pump and then out of the drainage line?

    submitted by /u/AJ_Chicago
    [link] [comments]

    BI-MONTHLY: Inspect & clean washing machine filter. This is in none of the maintenance lists referred to in this subreddit.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I could not figure out, for the life of me, why my washing machine smelled like rotten eggs. We tried multiple "self-cleaning powders" and very hot water cycles but the stench kept coming back.

    Turns out, the filter at the bottom of the washing machine was absolutely clogged with nasty. Clean it every two months as recommended by my Samsung unit.

    submitted by /u/FirstAccountCreated
    [link] [comments]

    Rocks in toilet

    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    I found about 4lbs worth of small rocks in the tank of my toilet. I scooped them out because the tank started to make this weird noise. Should I put the rocks back or replace them with something else? Someone told me they were for an inexpensive DIY so the tank filled with less water. This toilet is roughly 40 years old if that helps with anything.

    submitted by /u/pink_batty
    [link] [comments]

    DID I just do something super stupid and very dangerous!? HALP

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit, I have no one else to ask but you, maybe you can help? I am a single mom, I was trying to cover up a phone jack/coax outlet in my daughter's room (it was close to her bed/pillow area) and when I unscrewed the jack cover there were phone wires attached/screwed in. I just cut them with a scissor and then put the new blank outlet cover over it—and now I'm freaking out about the wires. Do they carry electricity? Did I potentially just create a huge fire hazard? Thanks so much in advance, I feel like such an idiot for doing this first and then asking questions later.

    Edit: here an image of the wire. I haven't been on Reddit in years, took me a minute to remember! https://imgur.com/JemCVHl

    Also, I don't have electrical tape but I have Duck Tape and Gaf Tape... should probably go get electrical tape...

    submitted by /u/SpidermanUnderpants
    [link] [comments]

    Master suite add on?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    My husband and I have been discussing adding on a master suite to our house. Right now the master bedroom doesn't have a bathroom so this would be a bedroom and bathroom and closet add on. We would like the door to the bedroom to be this window, then close in the door pictured (leads to garage). Is this possible with the way the roof has different levels?

    https://m.imgur.com/a/1MEqxL3

    submitted by /u/pro_humpback_rider
    [link] [comments]

    Hooks That Can Support Weight of String Lights

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    I have a number of outdoor string lights that I wish to hang. Each string is quite heavy. I have a metal overhang in my backyard, stucco exterior, gutters, and a detached garage. I wish to string them between my house and my garage.

    What are my options to keep them up? My biggest concern is the amount of weight they will need to hold if I use hooks of some sort. Has anyone done something similar that can guide me to what kind of hooks or nails I can use?

    The distance is approx 30 feet. The lights are ~13 lb per string and we might be using a few strings.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/-Mammonite-
    [link] [comments]

    Attic Insulation Help

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    I have no knowledge of this kind of stuff, so I went on youtube and looked online to research.

    I've learned about R values and found that there are many different kinds of insulation such as spray foam, loose fill, blow in, fiber glass, denim, and maybe more that I failed to come across. I'm looking just to do it myself.

    Regardless of price, what types of insulation can I find at Home Depot or Lowe's that's easy to install with no equipment and not harmful?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/TheRealFakeKorean
    [link] [comments]

    Help understanding front door quote

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/gnL60IG.png

    Hey guys, looking to replace a front door with side lights. Just was hoping someone could take a look at the quote and point out some important things to look out for. Maybe it'll be helpful for others who are looking to replace doors in general.

    The gauge seems appropriate being below 25, and I know steel isn't the best but looking to keep costs down. But it is provia which from what I read is high quality. I'm in Maryland. But this quote was with half glass on side lights and no glass on door itself.

    submitted by /u/jhu8
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a cost effective sound/privacy wall.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    Hey Guys, Im looking for cost effective options to build a fence in my back yard. Im looking at an area of 80 ft that backs up to a busy rd, where I current have nothing but a few bushes. Wanting to build a fence behind my line of bushes so I have a backyard.

    Looking for fence ideas that could make it more private / cut down on noise. I figure if I built a typical preasure treated fence I am looking to spend 2k-3k so I am looking for better options that wouldnt cost more than 2x a wooden fence.

    How much does it cost to build cindee block fences or those freeway sound walls?

    Are there any good prefabbed products out there?

    Im located in the bay area, California.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/bt1996
    [link] [comments]

    American Range vs BlueStar vs Capital?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    I thought this would be a more common question since they compete directly with each other and they're really the only options in their class. However, I couldn't find any direct comparisons on here.

    So, I'm in the process of buying my first home after living in apartments all my life and I'm VERY interested in upgrading the range to a "proper" (IMO) one with true open burners.

    In researching it, there are only three brands that sell true, commercial-style, open burner ranges. American Range, BlueStar, and Capital.

    Specifically, I'm looking at these:

    https://www.appliancesconnection.com/american-range-arrob430n.html

    https://www.appliancesconnection.com/bluestar-rnb304bv2.html

    https://www.appliancesconnection.com/capital-mcor304n.html

    They're basically clones of one another from each brand.

    Are there any big reason to get one over another? I can't decide for the life of me.

    submitted by /u/ksoviero
    [link] [comments]

    Floorboards uneven shortly after professional sanding & polishing

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    We moved into a new apartment about 6 months ago, and hired a company to sand & polish the wooden floor. Looked fine afterwards. Several months in, more and more spots of unevenness (see pics) started to appear. We are only 2 in our household, no big parties etc - so see no reason why this should happen. I have contacted the company but do not expect much.

    What can we do ourselves to fix this? Any way, with weights & re-applying polish or something, I can push the ends that stick out back into position? Want to avoid nails etc..

    Would really appreciate some insight from people that know what they are doing (I am not haha).

    Thanks!

    https://imgur.com/t221B5z

    https://imgur.com/2KThVIJ

    https://imgur.com/cnzW4g0

    https://imgur.com/V4CPhPp

    submitted by /u/wvdoesDK
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing a garage door.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Due to an unfortunate series of events, my kid closed the garage door on her scooter and it folded up in the center.

    I called two big name door companies who both sent out people to give me a quote. The whole garage door installed is like $17xx, including new tracks, tension spring, and all the hardware. He offered a 'patch job" for $13xx, but wouldn't offer a warranty on the patch job.

    Other guy comes and basically the same story, but he says he can save a few hundred bucks by using my old windows and hardware.

    My 16'x8' garage door is $700~ at the big blue store.

    I have the idea of just doing it myself as I am fairly handy.

    Is there anything I should know, before I bite off more than I can chew? Any special tools, anything I should know?

    Just for clarification, the tracks, and even the rollers are fine, all 4 panels are just bent in the center.

    Lastly, when it comes to windows, can I just cut holes in the new panels for the windows I currently have?

    Thanks in advance for all of your help.

    submitted by /u/WholesomeThrowaway66
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another caveat from the neighbor.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    My neighbor has once again approached me about a 'problem' I have.

    Today's issue is what I want to say is the curb water valve( shut off valve at the curb) which is behind our house in an easement. He pointed out that it isn't oriented up and down as he says it should be. Proceeds to tell me the cap doesnt fit tight and some sleeve is still fixed on the exposed end. Suggests I dig down about 18 inches and try to straighten it out. Offers himself to do the work, to 'save me a buck' and warns about dirt getting down into the pipe. I'm likely going to call a plumber to ask, but hey reddit has some knowledgable individuals frequenting these subs. So my questions are...

    Is his information valid, and if it is should I call a plumber?

    I know if it has a cap that should be addressed, but does it absolutely need to be vertical?

    submitted by /u/Acontortrix
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a broken window:(

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    I broke a bedroom window in my apartment on accident. I opened the window to air out the room and it got stuck so I put a little "umph" to it and it slammed down and cracked. The window brand is "kentworth" it's window that is divided in 2 the bottom half slides up. In the window it's 12 little squares. I'll try and link a picture similar to the window. How can I replace the bottom half where only 2 of the squares are cracked other than that the window is okay. Would I have to replace the whole window?window that's similar to mine

    submitted by /u/-SEAZER-
    [link] [comments]

    Cracks in drywall from settling or something more serious? Best way to repair / prevent further damage?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I attached a picture for reference.

    Like the title states: I have some pretty unsightly cracks in the drywall of my two upstairs bedrooms directly above the windows.

    I live in a small. 1200 sqft cape.

    In one room (tan paint) it looks like a traditional drywall crack, it connects at the ceiling and runs along where the ceiling and the wall connect for about 2 feet.

    It also looks like the beginning of hairline crack where the ceiling angle connects with the dormer.

    In the other room (dark green paint) it looks like there's a couple cracks but this looks like a bad drywall joint job. Again from the top of the window connecting at the ceiling and running a bit where the ceiling meets the wall.

    I'm attempting to figure out the most efficient way to fix this, if possible. I hope I won't have to completely tear down drywall. I also hope that this isn't a more serious underlying issue at play here.

    Any advice / direction would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

    PICTURE

    submitted by /u/nviccione
    [link] [comments]

    Crappy slope in gutter (too flat)

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 09:03 PM PDT

    Older 1980s house. Gutter slope seems to be not sloping enough and doesn't drain well on the one side. It's about a 20 foot run to the downspout.

    Do I need to redo and take off gutter and and fix slope or can I put a pinhole somewhere on side further from downspout to release the water that is on the far side and not draining well, install another downspout etc ..what's the best option?

    submitted by /u/4444buttface
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment