• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 16, 2020

    Home Improvement: 95 lbs me redid our breakfast bar with built in shelves after the project was turned down by 2 contractors for being too much work with not enough profit. Pretty excited with how it turned out!

    Home Improvement: 95 lbs me redid our breakfast bar with built in shelves after the project was turned down by 2 contractors for being too much work with not enough profit. Pretty excited with how it turned out!


    95 lbs me redid our breakfast bar with built in shelves after the project was turned down by 2 contractors for being too much work with not enough profit. Pretty excited with how it turned out!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/xwZIFPI

    I did this over a year ago, but thanks to good old work from social distancing and not going anywhere I'm finally getting around to posting it! I hateeeeeeeed the laminate counter tops and breakfast bar in my kitchen and stupidly thought counter paint was going to make it better. I thankfully only did the breakfast bar, and after it dried I realized I basically ruined it and it looked so tacky and gross. SO I decided to pay a contractor to redo it and put in a butcher block I purchased. I wasn't comfortable doing it myself as I had little experience with home improvement other than tiling, and painting. The counter had a built in shelf, and I didn't want to ruin it or the wall, so I had 2 contractors come in and look at it. One said he flat out wouldn't do it, and the other said he would get back to me on a price. The second one was a contractor I had worked with in the past so I was confident in him to come through. Never heard back from the guy even after reaching out. My guess is that it was too much work, for what he could reasonably charge like the first guy said.

    I was left with a horrid counter and no one to help me. So me being the incredibly stubborn human that I am, and not accepting no for an answer I did it myself! I carefully pried off all trim making sure I could save it so I could put it right back on when I was finished. (I do not have immediate access to power tools... and they scare me LOL) I was able to take off all the trim without breaking anything, and gently set it aside for repainting. Then I had to tackle the shelf which was nailed into the counter top, as well as nailed into the ceiling, and the right side wall. There was a little bit of space between the top of the shelf and the ceiling but whoever put it in wedged wood between the space where they nailed it so it was seamless. I couldn't pry the shelf out because I was afraid of damaging the wall behind it. SO I chiseled out the wood wedges around the nails at the top using my stone carving chisels until all the extra wood was gone, then individually bent out the 4 inch nails until all the ones in the ceiling were out and I could pop the shelf off the counter, and out of the wall. This was the WORST part by far.

    After the shelf was out I removed the last of the trim, popped off the counter, and laid the new butcher block on it. It was shorter than the original counter so I had to lay down some wood scraps under the shelf to fill in the gap. Then I repainted all the parts of the built in shelf and fit it back into place where it originally was. In the end I needed to add trim to the underside of the butcher block to give it a more finished look. I still need to repaint over the nails in the trim on one board... shhhhhhh

    submitted by /u/Be_Braver
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do here?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    100 year old home. Putting deep sink in basement, tying into 1.5 threaded steel laundry drain. The handyman special S trap from Lowe's and Home Depot still doesn't fit. A standard S trap won't fit. Don't want to put too much pressure on the PVC, already stripped one.

    I'm almost ready to buy a rubber hose and clamps, with the lockdown on going to stores is such a PITA.

    Deep sink install in 100 yr old home https://imgur.com/gallery/FrJKGBw

    submitted by /u/jlabsher
    [link] [comments]

    Drywall to garage roof

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    Roof https://imgur.com/gallery/yhIuW5T

    How do I attach drywall to a roof like this? Not experienced in DIY so sorry if this is a silly question.

    submitted by /u/gtronics
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing wooden fence

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    I'm new to DIY home improvement. I'm looking to replace part of my wooden fence. I've never done this before but I'm sure I can do it.

    Home Depot sells 6'X8' pre-built wooden fence panels I'm considering using this. What else do I need to do the job?

    submitted by /u/petebestfan
    [link] [comments]

    Don't work while tired or pay the consequences..

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    Just sent an hour looking for a part to my weed eater head being pissed I lost it ordered a replacement then realized I installed it already..

    submitted by /u/bar159
    [link] [comments]

    Help adding drip edge with shingles in place

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    I'm helping a friend this weekend install a drip edge along her building. The shingles are in decent shape so she doesn't want to replace them but there was never a drip edge installed. The shingles will lift up but not enough to really get a hammer in there and nail the drip edge down. I don't want to nail them in from the face if I don't have to but that's a possibility. Is it ok to angle the roof nail towards the peak and nail them in at an angle? Will tar hold them it in place? We are only talking about 10ft pieces on each side but I do not want her to have issues a year from now because it wasn't done right.

    We are adding the drip edge because a fascia board rotted and had to be replaced due to water. That's been fixed.

    submitted by /u/notedrive
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical Crack on the side of foundation

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I was told to ask this question in this sub.

    I noticed this crack when going around the side of the house. It is a 2014 build so still has 4 months of warranty left. But it might not be covered if any cracks unless it is more than 6mm wide. This crack is 1/8" wide max.

    There is also that black membrane bag all around the foundation. Also I do not see any sign of moisture anywhere in the basement as it is unfinished. I had the house inspected and the guy said this is complete fine. Should not be an issue long term.

    I know I can get it fixed by epoxy injection from inside, but I also heard it is a bandaid fix as water can still get in the crack from outside and expand the crack. But if the vapor barrier is there, I do not know why that would be necessary.

    Just wanted as second opining.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/aHEjDO2

    submitted by /u/munis_amg
    [link] [comments]

    Home Depot Front Door Install Experiences and Price

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    I know this has been discussed before but maybe some new discussions can come of this:

    Anyone have experience with Home Depot replacing yourself front door with a new prehung door? Meaning they removed the old frame and door and installed the new one. If so about how much did that run you not including the cost of the door itself). Also, how good or bad of a job did they do?

    I'm out in Los Angeles, CA and just thinking that might be a decent option as the door frame is very old and warped at this point.

    submitted by /u/eliyetti
    [link] [comments]

    How many people does it take to remove a light bulb?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I am trying to remove this light from this socket. Should be easy, right? photo It won't twist - the white plastic or the bulb They don't push in either. There is no sneaky but of wire to grab. There is no sneaky hole for a tool.

    I cannot figure this out.

    http://imgur.com/a/MbumyoI

    In UK, modern building - built about 2 years ago.

    The only thing I haven't been able to try is suction. No suction cup small enough. Tape doesn't have enough pull.

    If there is no way to get the bulb out - is there any way to safely cover it to stop it from being so bright?

    Edit: if this is the wrong sub - then apologies. Everyone is showing off massive skills and I'm asking about a blooming light bulb...

    submitted by /u/toxicradicans
    [link] [comments]

    Paint homasote board or wall board? Will my steps work?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    I have some homasote or wall board under my bathroom wallpaper. I'd like to paint it. Will these steps work?

    1. Take off wall paper
    2. Seal homasote with a primer (so doesn't bubble)
    3. Skim/Mud it
    4. Sand
    5. Paint it

    Think that'll work? Thanks for your input. Here's a pic for reference:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/GFhisXm

    submitted by /u/Hedleskya
    [link] [comments]

    Peel and Stick Vinyl in an Upstairs hallway

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, My parents have lived In their house for about ten years and have never done much as far as renovations due to financial and time issues. The house was built around 1900 and needs some serious cosmetic upgrades. Recently I've begun doing some upgrades over time to spruce the place up for them. The previous elderly owners had lived in the house for decades, and the interior of the house matched them. The entire upstairs has a putrid puke design of a carpet that was discovered to have just been put over several layers of old linoleum. Now I had originally planned on ripping the old linoleum out to get to the very old and weathered hardwood floors, but decided against due to likelihood of the linoleum having asbestos and not wanting to dive into a project like that as an amateur. My question was would it be safe to put 1/4 inch plywood over the linoleum in a small hallway and secure to the subfloor to put laminate or peel/stick vinyl on this surface? I just want to make sure that seems like a feasible idea as I saw it mentioned online but didn't know if there were negatives to it?

    submitted by /u/dgibbs123
    [link] [comments]

    Help me pick shutter and door color

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    We want to do some improvements to the exterior but don't feel comfortable painting the green part ourselves. We plan to paint the shutters and get a new door. What colors would you suggest for those? Ideally we will box off the columns soon too and stain them a wood color.

    submitted by /u/umumgowa
    [link] [comments]

    General Electric fridge/freezer will not produce ice

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:29 PM PDT

    Fridge not producing Ice for some reason. We replaced the water filter within the past six months. Any ideas?

    Fridge https://imgur.com/a/EQo3iRu

    submitted by /u/raz_the_kid0901
    [link] [comments]

    Question about diagonal support board in kitchen

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    Does it need to be replaced? What is it's purpose, reduce sway? Also added a few funny pics from tearing down the kitchen wall.

    https://imgur.com/a/ndSLuVe

    submitted by /u/joemaniaci
    [link] [comments]

    Would like to place woodens beam in ground in yard for canopy

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    Maybe my search terms are off but I couldn't find a post with this question answered. Google wasn't my friend either.

    I'm planning to put a square canopy up over my patio in my backyard (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765RRCKV) but it would require me to put some wooden posts/beams in the ground at the periphery of the patio. I can't seem to figure out if there is a correct way to do it. I was going to dig a hole just put in 2x2inch (8-9 feet long) beams with 1/3 buried.

    Bonus question: I'm still stuck on how i'll manage one corner where there isn't ground...just still brick on the bottom and the exterior wall/siding of house. I'm lucky that three corners of the square are perfectly at the borders of my patio where a beam in the ground will work but this one corner with no ground near it...... might do a concrete bucket or something with beam in it but I don't think that will hold without toppling over. I'd rather not attach it to my siding with a pad-eye for fear of it ripping out with a bad gust.

    submitted by /u/Pooperscooper01011
    [link] [comments]

    Sinking Eyebolts into Concrete Ceilings

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment in LA. We have a small balcony that we're trying to isolate for our cats so they can get some outside time. Plastic Chicken wire along the railing slots, little bit of turf to sink their claws into, but having done all this we want to hang a tarp that we can raise and lower like an awning in case of rain. The Ceiling is a popcorn-y textured concrete, and I want to know the best way to anchor some ring/eyebolt/hook/whatever to thread tieline through as a pulley.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated. Yes it's an apartment, no I don't feel bad about drilling holes, leaving hooks is acceptable imo

    submitted by /u/Gannonball69
    [link] [comments]

    The Inter Dimensional Electrician

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    Ever handled a bare wire, while doing electrical? Then after completing said electrical project, discover the breaker wasn't off? After realizing the situation, ask yourself, "how was I not shocked? How am I not dead?" Then think about whether or not you are actually dead or are dying, and now your mind has created a prolepsis in the wake of your dying breath? Or perhaps, an alternate version of yourself, existing in a parallel universe actually died, and your soul was transferred through a transcendent inter dimensional bond, and now share the same conscienceness in a reality in which you survived unharmed living on as if nothing happened!?. . . Then discover your just bad at wiring and didn't have line voltage hooked up and your own mistake saved your life? Yeah, that didn't happen to me either.

    submitted by /u/cooper_doodles
    [link] [comments]

    Painting ourselves versus hiring a Professional

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    What has everyone's experience been with hiring a professional painter or handyman to do paintwork on the interior walls of home, versus doing it yourselves in regards to quality and cost? We are days away from closing escrow and are trying to figure out which route to go. I feel like we wouldn't do a terrible job by ourselves but also if the price isn't too much would be more willing to hire a professional. Let me know your thoughts!

    submitted by /u/saraibee
    [link] [comments]

    White limestone sink repair help!!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm new to reddit however I could use some help. I accidentally chipped a white limestone sink and I need a way to fix the holes! If anyone knows how to fix it, it will be a huge help!

    submitted by /u/Ughost47
    [link] [comments]

    Hit something shiny (metal?) behind a cripple stud? What could it be?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    I've been trying to install a climbing hangboard above one of our bedroom doors. The hangboard is mounted to two 2x4s (which form a 2x8). I'm now trying to attach this 2x8 structure solidly to the wall, by drilling in each of the corners of the 2x8 with lag bolts.

    - The corner holes on the bottom are going through the door header.
    - The corner holes on the top are going through what I believe are cripple studs above the header.

    Drilling into the header on the bottom was easy as expected. However, on the two cripple studs, at about ~1.5" into the wall, I've run into something that provides a lot of resistance to the drill (at the same height on each cripple stud). On the first hole, I pushed a little harder thinking I might have hit a hard spot in the wood, but the drill seized up so I backed off. Did the same for the second spot, same thing happened.

    If I point a flash light in both holes I can see that I've hit something silverish/metallic/reflective. Could I have hit a horizontally running pipe? I do seem to have scratched up whatever metallic surface is there, and I'm afraid I might have weakened something that could lead to a disaster in the future...

    Does anyone have a good idea of what I might have run into and if it's something I should worry about? I tried Googling but only got results about metal studs. The house was built in ~1900 but was recently gut renovated a few years ago by a developer.

    submitted by /u/melikeclimbingrocks
    [link] [comments]

    Repairing worn out finish on my kitchen cabinets

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    My kitchen cabinets have lost their finish on some areas either due to wear or water. What are my options for repairing this? https://imgur.com/a/xeV6fy7

    submitted by /u/clipboarder
    [link] [comments]

    Why is one anchor bolt longer than the others?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    I finally managed to drill 4 holes in a concrete wall to attach a pull up bar, but when tightening up the anchor bolts, I noticed one of them is portruding much further than the others. Even more worrying is that I can still keep turning that one, while the other 3 are already very tight.

    Any idea how/why this has happened, and what I should do about it?

    Here's a pic of what I mean:

    https://imgur.com/6vMBOSj

    And here are the anchors I am using:

    https://imgur.com/SVkSnjz

    submitted by /u/ki-rin
    [link] [comments]

    Help building a retaining wall on a huge slope

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    Just like the title says. My backyard has a giant slope and I would like to dig into it and build a retaining wall.

    submitted by /u/braindeft
    [link] [comments]

    Drywall to garage roof

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    Roof https://imgur.com/gallery/yhIuW5T

    How do I attach drywall to a roof like this? Not experienced in DIY so sorry if this is a silly question.

    submitted by /u/gtronics
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment