• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 16, 2020

    Home security: Local bad guy caught casing my house on neighbor's cameras. Measures taken so far inside. Anything I'm missing?

    Home security: Local bad guy caught casing my house on neighbor's cameras. Measures taken so far inside. Anything I'm missing?


    Local bad guy caught casing my house on neighbor's cameras. Measures taken so far inside. Anything I'm missing?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    As the title suggests, neighbors called my wife over the other day because they thought a pervert was watching our daughter and another neighbor's girl running through the sprinklers in their bathing suits. Guy came back multiple times that day and even stopped in front of our house for a bit. My wife grew up here, knows everybody, so after some asking around in all the wrong places it's actually a pretty bad dude that likes robbing houses. It's a very quiet street in a psuedo-rural neighborhood. The kind of place that's not too far from civilization, with areas of suburb type housing that's close together but also streets with fives houses and nothing but woods and the street goes exactly nowhere. We live on the latter. Broad daylight, and he was on the phone the whole time so I worry that this might be a home invasion and not a burglary.

    ADT comes tomorrow. I'm having HD cameras put in all around the outside of the home with night vision and motion sensors. Glass break sensors on all the windows and the alarm system is monitored, tied directly to the sheriff department, and cellular. By coincidence I saved an American Staffordshire pup from the pound a few weeks ago, and while he's about 40lbs, he's also less than a year old and a little on the dumb side. He's more likely to show off his skills pissing on my pergot floor as opposed to defending the home. Very handsome good boy though with a deep ferocious sounding bark.

    I'm a nurse by trade, much to the dismay of the rest of the men in my family who are all military or police but in other states, and male bonding happened at the shooting range. That's to say that on a scale of "Which end is dangerous?" and "John Wick" I'd like to think that I'm somewhere in the middle. I have a loaded .45 Remington Rand 1911 sitting on the desk with me now, and a Colt Mk IV Series 80 Gold Cup .45 near where I sleep, though I keep the Remington on the night stand at night. I've loaded five or six mags for each .45 and keep them together with the guns in mag pouches for range shooting. An AR-15 in my closet, also two steps from my side of the bed, now also loaded, along with five magazines, though the AR is set up for target shooting, not carbine. I also have a Mossberg 500A 12Ga which I've loaded and put on my wife's side of the bed. I've shown her how to operate it and we've formed an "Oh shit!" plan but she has zero proficiency with firearms. I've asked her specifically not to shoot me by accident if shit goes sideways.

    I have friends in the local SO, and State Troopers, that are driving by when in the area that are aware of the situation and this person's identity, as well as people that know this person that my wife went to school with that are keeping an ear to the ground for anything that might suggest something stupid about to happen though I don't really trust in that too much.

    Tomorrow, after ADT leaves, I plan to run to Lowe's and get reinforcements for my front door hinges, strike plates, and better locks/deadbolt to make the front door harder to kick in. I plan to upgrade the windows with either security film, or hurricane impact glass as soon as possible in the near future. I have five neighbors that are all home all the time and a couple that are nosy, which I don't mind especially right now.

    My main concern is my back sliding glass door which does have flip down plastic stops in place but is probably not shatter proof and I really think needs to also be a priority though I'm not sure what to do about it.

    I'm in a bit of a pickle here, so please, experts, am I missing anything? Thanks in advance and all advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/HedonismandTea
    [link] [comments]

    Shootings in Neighborhood - How to protect home from stray bullets?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    Hello - We have bought a townhome in SE Washington, DC. Before buying, I researched crime statistics in the area and found only one murder in a half-mile radius in the previous year. We knew there would be issues with crime like breaking into cars, robberies, and even the potential for being held up at gun/knife point walking from the Metro. However, these are issues that you can experience anywhere in the DC area and the deal we got on the home was too good to pass up.

    We have now lived in the house for two years. In that span of time, there have been three major shootings on our block. The latest one was Easter Sunday and left bullets lodged inside my next door neighbors house.

    We have engaged with MPD extensively, but we have not gotten them to commit to having a cruiser on our block other than having an officer drive through every hour or so. The shootings appear to be from an ongoing conflict between two local gangs. Because the latest shooting involved an automatic weapon, FBI and ATF are working the case with MPD and we are hoping for some concrete results in getting this gang battle squashed for good.

    However, in the meantime, I am trying to figure out better ways to secure my house and protect my family. My wife is 18 weeks pregnant. We plan to put the nursery in the front room of the house; however, the three large windows face down the street where the shots have been fired from and are very obvious weak points in the house. Fortunately, the house has a brick face on the front and side. I need to figure out a solution to make my windows more secure from potential stray bullets entering the bedroom. I have been researching ballistic windows and I will be calling a window installer to explore options for replacing or augmenting the existing glass. I have also looked at Kevlar sheeting and tried to find instances where that was used in a curtain to add a layer of protection, but I have not found any resources showing efficacy of this type of solution.

    I am also interested in additional camera options. I have taken advantage of the DC security camera program by installing a Nest Hello on the front of the house and a Nest Camera in the rear. Unfortunately, these do not have to resolution or focus necessary to capture license plates, which would be extremely useful in the case of vehicles used in Sunday's shooting. The police have so far not gotten any footage from myself or neighbors that has allowed them to track down the vehicle used in the shooting. I love the Nest abilities for checking in on things when I am away from the house, when a package is delivered, and knowing who is at my front door. However, I would like to add a system that I could focus on the street and has enough clarity to provide officers with identifying information should they need it. I am actually located in an excellent spot for this type of camera as there is a 90 degree bend in the road that I look right down. I just need to have a system capable of high enough resolution to go back and find license plate information if necessary. To be clear, I do not believe I need a license plate reader - I don't know the legal implications in my area nor do I feel it is necessary. Whatever the simplest implementation of this is what I am looking for. I am thinking a camera with an optical zoom and local recording would be the easiest solution, but open to ideas.

    Any other ideas you may have are greatly appreciated. I am scared to death to bring my unborn child in to my home. We do not have issues with being targeted directly, but unfortunately the bullets these guys are firing off don't care where they are pointed. I need to find some solutions to protect my family as best I can.

    Moving is an option, but I really don't want to go that route. Especially right now considering the difficulty of moving during the lockdown. I also firmly believe that the violent crime issue will be resolved eventually. I just need to find a way to protect my family from this unique threat until it has been resolved.

    submitted by /u/68thoroughbred
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor camera and NVR(?) suggestions

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Hi

    We've had some package thefts and a car break-in in the neighborhood recently, so I'm finally getting around to installing cameras. I may also do security film on the windows, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. Motion activated exterior lighting is probably a no-go, but not sure (may annoy neighbors)

    House looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/dCtdl6M

    I'm thinking dome cameras for the rear of the house, mounted on the siding. Bullet camera for front door and maybe a dome camera with PTZ on the balcony to cover the street (needs to resolve license plates)

    I'm looking at Hikvision and Dahua currently, but am open to whatever. All cameras would be PoE hardwired, except if I put one on the roof, it could be wifi.

    I can't decide if I should host my own NVR or not. I'm very familiar with hosting other things, and the technical aspect doesn't worry me. I already have a server with plenty of spare storage, and I have several terabytes that get cloud synced over a gigabit line.

    However, I'm also not sure I want to bother with managing it myself. I want the ability to pull up the feed remotely (thats a networking problem, i can solve that) and I want to be able to show all cameras at once on a cheap tablet or phone. I also want to back up the last ... however many days, 30? remotely somewhere.

    Budget for the entire thing is essentially not a factor, but I'd be happy if I can keep it below 1-2k.

    My questions:
    a) Would it make sense to have the cameras for the rear of the house be the type that can automatically pan and zoom on movement?
    b) Same question for balcony
    c) Does Sony still make the best starlite sensor?
    d) Do I go with a pre-made NVR? Which one?

    Does anyone have any input on my camera placement or suggestions on particular cameras / camera features I should have in each location?

    submitted by /u/Faldaani
    [link] [comments]

    Can the outdoor Ring floodlight camera be used indoors in an apartment? (And why it says it isn’t recommended for that)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:22 AM PDT

    I posted this over in the Ring subreddit but then I found this subreddit and figured y'all might be able to help me.

    So my apartment building has had some recent issues with break ins. The management company said no camera on the outside of the apartment door but suggested I get a camera to put inside that faces the door. I'm looking into a Ring camera, specifically the outdoor flood light one.

    I like that it has a built in alarm. When a neighbor almost got broken into, a beeping sensor on their door stopped the burglar from proceeding into their apartment. I like the light option because my apartment starts with a long hallway when you enter and doesn't have much natural light. So if I have all the lights off inside, even during the day, the hallway that you enter my apartment through is fairly dark. At night, it's pitch black. It doesn't look like any of the indoor cameras offer this.

    I would be installing it in the corner, where the wall meets the ceiling: https://imgur.com/a/JpXwGpr

    The website says it doesn't work well indoors and I was wondering why that is. Would the range of motion be too close, since it would be lower to the ground/target it's recording than if it mounted to the side of a house? I also read that sometimes it doesn't pick up movement or takes a second to start recording. Once the door opens, if someone was walking into the apartment, they would only be within the camera's range for 3 seconds or so. Would it start recording too late? Or possibly not see the movement in the dark if it's too close to the target?

    This is the hallway it's recording, with the arrow showing where it would be: https://imgur.com/a/V6EcXcR

    submitted by /u/duckinmybelly
    [link] [comments]

    how to hack wifi during quarantine .

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 01:33 AM PDT

    Indoor camera suggestions (and other miscellaneous apartment security advice)?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    I live in the upstairs apartment of a house-turned-duplex in a low crime area, and am usually home alone. No one currently lives downstairs. Recently I've heard the screen door being opened in the middle of the day on two different occasions and the doorknob on the front door has been loosened, as if someone tried to pry it off. This is the kind of neighborhood where people literally leave everything unlocked (I promise I'm savvier than that!), and with the current shutdown there are always neighbors home nowadays, even when I'm at work.

    There was an incident about two years ago with a disgruntled former downstairs tenant trying to break in, but that was short lived and all the locks have been changed since then; I doubt it's the same guy after all this time. (I do have a key to the empty apartment for emergencies and check it semi-regularly, so I know we don't have squatters or anything. It's only me and people I know who should be coming around.)

    So all that to say, I'm a little skeeved that someone apparently wants to get in, especially because there are many obviously more well to do residents nearby which makes a random burglary attempt seem less likely. I currently have nothing as far as security, and I'm open to suggestions.

    I definitely want to put some kind of security camera in the hallway - there is a place to mount it that will show the front door (which has a window that will show anyone tampering with the handle again) as well as the doors into both the upstairs and downstairs apartments. I have no idea what kind of camera to buy, though; ideally something under $200 that I can install myself.

    Unfortunately the door into my apartment is old and not very secure. I've broken into that door myself when I locked my keys inside, so if someone managed to get through the downstairs front door with the actually solid lock they'd have smooth sailing to get inside my apartment. This whole thing is making me realize how vulnerable my situation is, and how much I've banked on being in a safe, quiet neighborhood.

    So if you people who know what you're doing have any advice for me, I'm all ears! Where would you suggest I start for rental-friendly security?

    I would appreciate any help you can give me!

    submitted by /u/ktelizabeth1123
    [link] [comments]

    Making your own cameras

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    Show me a direction so i can start learning how to make my own security cameras

    I was hoping to one day make my own or upgrade my security system

    submitted by /u/fatboyras
    [link] [comments]

    Argus 2 camera questions about accessing recorded video/photos

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 10:06 PM PDT

    • I basically want to know if I have to take out the microSD card and view the media on my computer, or can I access everything via mobile app + router/wifi?
    • Any worthy heads-up stuff about this camera I should know about? Im in Indonesia so not many options for the wire-free battery camera.s
    submitted by /u/splishyandsplashy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment