• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 19, 2020

    Home security: DIY Home Security, looking for suggestions

    Home security: DIY Home Security, looking for suggestions


    DIY Home Security, looking for suggestions

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit! I want to put together my own security system for home with preferably 4 cameras at the minimum. I would like to put together my own system with a spare PC i have lying around collecting dust. I am looking for suggestions on all pieces of the hardware needed for this as this is something i have no familiarity with. If there is a good combo out there for cheaper than making my own setup, I would definitely consider that too. Here are some of the guidelines of what I'm looking for more specifically

    • wide viewing angle
    • decent night time visibility
    • enough hookups for at least 4 cameras
    • whatever hardware my PC would require (add in cards for example) from what little research i've already done, a lot of cameras seem to use BNC hookups
    • storage suggestions. considering a Seagate surveillance 1tb currently
    • Operating System. I'm leaning towards a variant of Linux.
    • Software. I don't even know where to start with what software I might need
      • i'd like to have something that maybe will alert my phone through an app or something?

    Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Icarus-86
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an NVR built to accept wired, wireless, AND wire-free cameras?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a 6+ channel NVR with Ethernet ports for POE cameras and a receiver for wireless/wire free cameras. Additionally, I am interested in a platform with the BEST ios app interface. I (think I) understand that I can use a POE switch to a multi-channel NVR built to connect to wireless/wirefree cameras, but am wondering if there are any purpose built systems out there. I'd love to hear your experience working with products or setting up a similar system.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/7777777677
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment window security, not alarm

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:23 AM PDT

    Hi, I can't put permanent bars in my apartment window so I am looking for an alternative. I already have locks on the window so I am looking to buy or rig something to prevent or seriously slow down someone from getting in. I know I should be concerned about fire codes and being able to remove this thing quickly in case I need to get, but I am more concerned about preventing a break in and will use it when I am gone more so than when I am home. Can't find anything at hardware store or home security places that suit this. Please help. Thanks so much for your consideration

    submitted by /u/ktw2569
    [link] [comments]

    Audio recording system for home office

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    Hi,
    I hope I provide enough detail to keep the post, 1st-time poster here.

    I'm looking to install microphones to record audio at my home office (at mid to high quality), if possible with camera.

    It's not so much for home security but not capture interesting conversations I can then transcribe. I'm really tired of using my iphone and mostly always forget to turn the recording on.

    The room is about 15x5, so I'd probably be looking for 1 or 2 microphones. Ideally I'd like the microphone to send recordings directly to my computer, if not, an sd card I can quickly transfer to my macbook.

    Can anybody give me any guidance? I've looked everywhere but having a hard time finding anything that's good good audio quality for a cheap price.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/thales_reborn
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink Cameras

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    Hello! So, we've bought a couple reolink cameras and bought a DC to POE converter, and have the Ethernet cable plugged in from the converter to the camera. There is no data being sent over the Ethernet cable. I can't seem to get the camera to work, is there anything else I need to do or I'm doing wrong? Do I need to send data over the Ethernet to get it working as well?

    submitted by /u/JJOSH16
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment