• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 18, 2020

    Home Improvement: My "I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm on quarantine" 3 day front yard overhaul.

    Home Improvement: My "I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm on quarantine" 3 day front yard overhaul.


    My "I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm on quarantine" 3 day front yard overhaul.

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 02:54 PM PDT

    Before and After.

    As stated, I have no idea what I'm doing. Got a bunch of mulch from Chip Drop, covered the grass in many layers of cardboard, built three planter boxes, put in some lavender, a rhodie, and two other things I already forget what they are. Planted a bunch of perennials in the bed to the left, and a bunch of veggies in the two beds to the right.

    I expect that the grass will creep through, the veggies won't grow, and the flowers will die. Oh well.

    submitted by /u/jumpin_jumpin
    [link] [comments]

    We flipped breakers and now certain things won't turn back on

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 04:57 AM PDT

    My husband and my dad were flipping breakers on and off to find a couple of outlets so they could swap it out for three-pronged ones. Now all of a sudden the stair lights to the basement won't turn on, and neither will our TV and soundbar (they are not on the same wall if that matters). All the breakers are on...any thoughts on what may have happened or how to fix?

    submitted by /u/365untilpretzelday
    [link] [comments]

    Contractors with crews - is buying food for you at a job seen as a kind gesture, or trying to bribe you somehow?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    EDIT: TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A CONTRACTOR NOR DO I HAVE A CREW, I'M JUST THE HOMEOWNER IN THIS SITUATION

    For the last three days I have had an insulation crew of three on site at home working on tearing out old fiberglass, air sealing, blowing in cellulose, etc. I am the homeowner and hired out the work to a local company.

    Each morning I have grabbed the crew some food as a treat before they start their day. Yesterday was donuts and coffee, this morning was breakfast pizza. The crew was appreciative and enjoyed the grub, it seemed like.

    With that being said, I sort of wondered in the back of my head whether or not they may have thought I was trying to bribe them in some way? I didn't get them food with the sole intention of trying to get extra work out of them, but I guess in the back of my mind I hoped that my going the extra mile would mean that they wouldn't cut corners on their work. I also did it because insulation work is miserable in general, and I wanted them to feel appreciated.

    I'm probably way overthinking this, but just wanted to hear some opinions on it, thanks!

    submitted by /u/PerestroikaPal
    [link] [comments]

    Gfc outlets are freaking out

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    Houston, tx. Our gfcis are all freaking out. This morning they started popping even after they had been tripped. The popping got faster and louder- one pop on top of another in rapid siccession until a buzzing started. So i shut off power to the whole house at the breaker and left it off several hours. Turned power back on and no popping sound.

    Multiple neighbors are having this issue today too. I am waiting for the electric co to come out.

    Electric co told neighbors their gfcs are old and need replacing (neighborhood built in 2005 so prob true). But it seems weird that they would all go at once like this and for them to go in multiple houses in the neighborhood.
    Has anyone had this happen to them before? What could it be besides the gfcs?

    Update: electric co never showed up to my house so i called to follow up. They said it was a problem with a fuse at a transformer in the neighborhood and its been fixed (thanks for letting me sit around all day). Hope that makes sense, I'm not entirely sure how it all works. We'll still probably get our gfcis checked to be sure + extra careful. Thanks for everyones input.

    submitted by /u/adennfox
    [link] [comments]

    Took me 5 months to finally change the basement boiler tank

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Honestly, one of the bright sides of this lockdown is now I actually have time to do it and can't make excuses anymore to do any house work around here. Now I'm tempted to remodel the bathroom... I've already bought all the necessities...

    Procrastination does pay off!

    submitted by /u/Redplushie
    [link] [comments]

    New roof, but was this done right?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/ukmqOnt

    We had a new roof put on today. They couldn't finish the whole thing because rain is coming so they did about half. I went up there to check it out and, while I'm no roofer, this doesn't look quite right to me.

    I see a lot of caulk up there and a big black "thing" along the area where the siding meets the roof.

    Granted, the house is old and so is the siding, but those first two pictures are the area where we were having a leak, hence the new roof.

    The skylights were replaced too and those are looking pretty rough.

    I'm freaking out a little big because I want to make sure this gets done right because it's costing us a pretty penny. I sent these pics to the project manager for the company, so waiting to see what he says.

    Curious to hear if I'm freaking out for no reason or if I need to tell them to fix when they come back...

    submitted by /u/portocac13
    [link] [comments]

    Not a great DIYer, but figured I'd try my hand during the quarantine. What's the easiest way to fix a front door that is drooping a bit, needs a little lift to get it to close properly?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Thanks for your help! I can provide more info as needed.

    submitted by /u/Eric264
    [link] [comments]

    Repairing a hole in hollow core door

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    Can anyone tell me a good way to fix a hole in a hollow core door? I have a hole about the size of a quarter and I'm not sure how to patch it up.

    submitted by /u/UrsinusGrad
    [link] [comments]

    Hos long do i wait for acetone to remove epoxy?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 03:34 AM PDT

    I have hardened epoxy from ages ago and i read i can put nail polish remover over it to remove? How long do i wait before trying to chip? Thanks

    submitted by /u/AwkwardCauliflower6
    [link] [comments]

    What am I not understanding here? Cutting for a ceiling can fixture, I'm certain I need a 6 1/2" hole

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    Home Depot kitchen disaster

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Home Depot and I have a difficult relationship right now. Yes, I've learned my lesson on using a big box store.

    I don't think I could ever list all of the issues that we've had, but I'll hit some big points.

    TL;DR- HD took 7 months to complete a 12 week job. They're offering $2500 to compensate the disaster. Does this seem appropriate?

    In August 2019, I started working with the designer. For weeks, she kept inserting other customers plans into my kitchen and disagreeing when I corrected her. (She put in an apron sink when I wanted undermount, microwave placement, putting in a wine cooler when I wanted a wine rack, etc.)

    In early October, my cabinets and countertops were ordered and cabinets were delivered to my garage at the end of November. 8 doors and 2 cabinet boxes had to be reordered due to damage and were delivered in mid January.

    When I asked the store what to do to prepare for installation, they told me to move all of the cabinets into my house to acclimate to the temperature. They did offer to send someone from the store to help me, but could not confirm that an injury would fall on worker's compensation and not my homeowners insurance.

    At cabinet installation, there was a filler piece not ordered so the upper cabinets couldn't be complete. A week later, the filler was delivered but was the wrong size. A week later, the correct filler was delivered and installation was complete.

    After the lower cabinets were installed, I was sent to approve my countertop slab and was told I should have done so in October when they were purchased. I was not told to do so in October. When I went in January, the countertop I'd selected wasn't available until the end of February so we made a different choice.

    5 days after the upper cabinets were installed, I was breaking down the boxes left behind for recycling and discovered that they never replaced the 8 cabinet doors.

    I dealt with Home Depot for 7 months to get a simple kitchen installed. They advertise 12 weeks for complex kitchens, which mine certainly isn't. I'm in negotiation with the store manager and customer care. They have offered $2500 as their final offer. Does this seem appropriate? I don't think that it does, but I also realize that I am emotional about the situation and may not be looking at it through a clear lens. I have requested to speak to a district or regional manager several times but have not been given their contact information.

    Any tips or advice? Is $2500 appropriate for the timing mess or length of time (nearly two months) I did not have a functional kitchen?

    submitted by /u/Coffee-and-Naps
    [link] [comments]

    Tv Mounting but more about the drilling

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    I am working on mounting my tv, and I mostly am having trouble with the drilling in general. I'm not a super handy person, but I'm a teacher and stuck at home bc of COVID so trying to get projects done around the house.

    I drilled pilot holes with a 5/32 drill bit and then a 11/64 drill bit, and was able to put those in no problem. When I went to move onto the actual lag bolt (quarter of an inch maybe) it will not go in the stud I keep getting resistance even at a higher torque level.

    I found the stud, I was able to get the first two pilot holes in...it doesn't make sense why those would go and this bigger one won't. If I was in a nail or metal I would think the pilot holes wouldn't go either. Does anyone have any advice?

    drill bits

    Drill

    submitted by /u/mcgee1663
    [link] [comments]

    Drill in foundation wall?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    I have an older house, built in 1933. The basement wall (foundation for the house) is some exposed brick. I would like to mount some things on the wall. Can I do this or would it cause water to leak in? Do I need something special besides anchor screws?

    submitted by /u/TaijiInstitute
    [link] [comments]

    [basement stairs] - how do I get rid of this post!

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    So, now that we're quarantined, I figured what a better time to work on the basement. This stair post (pics in link) is a real pain in the ass. With this located where it is, I can't really get any furniture (or a full sheet of drywall) into my basement. Plus it's an eye sore.

    I'm reaching out to you guys to weigh in to see if it's structural, or any suggestions of a work around. I was going to get a jack, pimp it up, remove the 2x4s then slowly let it down to see what she does, but figured I'd see what y'all had to say about it.

    Those walls you see are exterior walls, poured concrete, below grade..

    Stay safe and wash your hands!

    post pics here

    submitted by /u/rother555
    [link] [comments]

    Decision time for painting or gel staining kitchen cabinets

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    I'm looking for advice on whether I should paint or gel stain my dated, cherry-red, builder's grade (at least partially laminate) kitchen cabinets.

    My goal:

    Either a slate blue or grey paint or a more neutral walnut stain.

    Some factors:

    -Will a gel stain work on this already med/dark wood? I see the General Finishes Java gel stain on every post about this and it looks way too dark for me.

    -The baseboards on the cabinets have been re-done and have a white toe-kick that I will also need to match to whatever color.

    -The back side of the island has gouges in it from the previous owners. I will either have to fill with putty or replace that entirely.

    The situation: Current Cabinets

    Thank you for any advice, sage or otherwise!

    submitted by /u/Actuallynotaninsect
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have stand alone Service Line Coverage for their home? If so who?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    So I've searched around and my current homeowners and others around don't offer Service Line Coverage. I recently found out that I have no conduit electrical from house to street and a long driveway that I don't want to have to dig up. A recent line issue underground on the sidewalk happened and the guy working for the electrical company informed me about this option...

    submitted by /u/HoldonTightlyLetsGo
    [link] [comments]

    3% Asbestos mean no big deal?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    Took a few samples to get tested and result came back for 3% Chrysotile for Paint Texture or Spray Applied, with one sample being a 2%

    With a number that low would I be wrong in removing the popcorn texture myself?

    submitted by /u/cerealqueef
    [link] [comments]

    Deck stair replacement, weekend budget project

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    Thought I'd share my deck stair replacement. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Link to the photos here:

    https://imgur.com/a/ki9gbHK

    I purchased all new treated 2x6 for the stairs for 80$. Rustoleum flat black spray paint $7.99 x 2 cans. Solar led lights $29.99

    Had all the drill bits and tools needed already. I reused almost all of the hardware, wire wheeled them to clean off the rust, then gave them a coat of black spray paint. Same with the railing, sanded and cleaned, then applied black spray paint. Took me about 6 hrs with all the painting and cutting boards to fit. All in all, pretty happy with how it came out, on to the next project!

    Edit:photos

    submitted by /u/Levimack2
    [link] [comments]

    Window rattle

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    I live in a 3 yr old modular house. I have Andersen windows. 3 nights ago I noticed a rattle or vibration in my bedroom window. I live near a busy road. It was mild or low but it still managed to wake me up. I noticed it again last night. Any suggestions on how to approach this situation?

    submitted by /u/wowugotit
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased a house, garage is separated and real nice. It has a vent that I think was for a wood stove. Since I am building a garage gym would this be a viable heating option?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    I am in Minnesota so working out in the dead of Winter in the garage would be brutal. I've worked in shops that used torpedo heaters but if I can steer away from the fumes from that (nostalgia aside) i'd like to.

    With this vent for the wood stove already installed from the previous owner.... I wonder if I could do this.

    Thoughts? If I dont I guess I should probably cap the vent?

    submitted by /u/hcbit
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a new Over the Range Microwave but what is this wall made of?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    Hello

    So I'm trying to install a new microwave but I'm not sure which screws to use for this wall. The garage is behind this wall and it doesn't seem to be the typically drywall and studs.

    At first I thought it was a concrete wall of some sort but I'm not sure. Any ideas on what it is?

    I've attached pictures from the microwave side and garage side.

    https://m.imgur.com/a/JhGaBfu

    Thanks for your help and stay safe!

    submitted by /u/TingGreaterThanOC
    [link] [comments]

    Curved Window in theater

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    I have these windows in my theater that I want to hang dark red curtains on. However, the wall curves out and I am struggling with the right type of rod.

    Some have told me my only real option would be a "track". I am nervous that would be ugly.

    Thoughts? Suggestions?

    PIC OF WINDOW

    Notes: area behind TV will also be red. Ceiling black with optics (stars) and the walls will be a dark gray. replacing the carpet with theater carpet as well.

    submitted by /u/Agentsmithv2
    [link] [comments]

    Saddle valves installed as bleed valves on boiler

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7kAIObi

    So 10 yrs ago we got a new boiler. The techs who installed it saw no bleed valves, and installed saddle valves. I was a young first time buyer and figured, "Guess this is normal?"

    Fast forward to today, we're selling and have an inspection tomorrow. Any way to put lipstick on this pig? Should I remove the tubes in the meantime?

    submitted by /u/13stepboogie
    [link] [comments]

    Will this sump pump set up work?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/E6jyCFb If not what can I do to get a proper set up?

    submitted by /u/H-OAP
    [link] [comments]

    Stainig wood/a lamp

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    Hello my dear experts,

    i'd like to stain my dining table lamp (made from Lindenholz... i think it's called lime wood in english) with a water based wood stain that i've already bought.

    The guys in the YouTube videos work with really big boards and i was wondering if there's anything i need to consider or do different when staining the small pieces of the disassambled lamp. Is it necessary to sand the pieces beforehand, like they do with the big boards and furniture? And do i need to varnish them afterwards? Because we won't touch it all the time.

    I don't want to work on it more than absolutely necessary because i really love this lamp and i don't want to ruin it... but i also want to change the color.

    Every little piece of advice is more than welcome. Thank you very much! :)

    submitted by /u/MrsMahr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment