• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 19, 2020

    Home security: The best home defense is a great community

    Home security: The best home defense is a great community


    The best home defense is a great community

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Reading concerned posts here about about prospective first-time gun buyers, it reminds me that our best defense in our homes is a strong and caring greater community - and I don't mean a gated community.

    Guns and ammo, window bars, deadbolts, and Abloy locks won't protect us and our families and friends from covid-19. Please reliably practice social distancing. it's by far the best home defense that everyone already has access to right now.

    Let's all continue to watch out for our fellow citizens, and those in greater need so they aren't forced by desperation into someone we need to defend against.

    submitted by /u/I_care_too
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for network cameras with ethernet option

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    Recently had one of my outdoor cameras crap out (my own fault, got too close while pressure washing) and am looking for recommendations for replacement. I run a Blue Iris server as my NVR, so I don't need cloud/SD recording. There are plenty of WiFi only cameras out there, but I'm looking for ethernet (better reliability due to range). For reference, the camera I'm replacing is an Amcrest IPM-HX1W. Also trying to stay around $50/camera or less. Recommendations?

    submitted by /u/jered6323
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas and experience for video doorbell placement that respects neighbors' privacy?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any experience with or ideas about placing their video doorbell so it doesn't constantly spy on my neighbors and people just walking by, but still covers my front door?

    I would welcome your suggestions and experiences on how to install a video doorbell in a privacy-respecting manner, before I install my first one. I am prepared to mount it anywhere in the porch area and run wiring to it as required. I feel there are likely operational issues I have not considered, and with your advice, could avoid.

    I personally do not consider it ethical or friendly to set up my cameras so they are always viewing my neighbors. I wouldn't want this done to my family. The vast majority of fellow residents, and certainly my neighbors, aren't threats to my property or family. 'Eyes on the street' are beneficial to the community and improve public safety. I doubt (porch) thieves steal much when observed! So I don't feel I should be spying on John and Jane walking by on my busier collector / bus route street, who are enhancing the liveliness of my community and my home security by walking by.

    I personally don't want to help build another Chinese surveillance state. Ring and other cameras upload footage to private companies' servers, which I have no control over, and from which footage has leaked and police have have spied on innocent and unrelated citizens, so I won't be using one of these externally-shared video doorbells.

    Thanks for your experience and thoughts.

    submitted by /u/I_care_too
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor cameras for home building site

    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    So I am going to start construction on my new house in the couple months. The house is in a remote location and wont have power for the time being. I would like to setup cameras around my enclosed trailer and both entrances to the property. I also would like to be able to setup overlooking the material location. Any recommendations short of trail cameras?

    I have been looking into building weatherproof raspi boxes with a small solar panel and batteries, and do data dumps weekly or biweekly via wifi. But havent jumped down that rabbit hole yet.

    submitted by /u/jbenj00
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment