• Breaking News

    Monday, March 23, 2020

    Home security: Affordable window screens?

    Home security: Affordable window screens?


    Affordable window screens?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Affordable security window screens

    Hey Guys, All of my old windows have rinky screens. Some are completely missing. It gets hot in the house but tons of bugs come in.

    I've been looking for a double solution for keeping bugs and burglars out. Our windows are the BIGGEST weak point in our home security right now.

    Any suggestions on affordable security windows screens. Not the window bars.

    I've only seen tapco window screens in some news video. I've seen a mention of Crimsafe window screens but couldn't find much on it. Tapco Seems perfect but I saw the price and fell out a bit.

    Any help would be so appreciated.

    I want to thank you guys in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/winnah2
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do with this system?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I purchased a home last year that was built in 1957. It seems to have had several security systems installed throughout the years and there appear to be a bunch of redundant/ancient sensors, some connected, some abandoned, all eyesores.

    Now for the upgrade questions:The current panel is a VISTA 10SE with an ADT branded keypad. When I first moved in, I reprogrammed it with new PINs and bypassed the fire and tamper zones (smoke detector seems to be older than me, and tamper is annoying for a tinkerer like myself). It's currently unmonitored.

    After noticing a flaky zone 3 (windows), I haven't really trusted it as I don't want to wake up to false alarms in the middle of the night, so I'm wanting to replace the bulky sensors with some more modern magentic switches, adding glass break and motion sensors. I've also been looking into upgrading the panel with something I can self monitor/connect to via mobile app (I've seen VISTA 21IP recommended, anything else I should look at?). A touch screen or more modern keypad would be nice.

    I am interested in home automation as well. I don't have any z-wave products, mostly wifi switches (wemo) and Nest thermostat/doorbells. I'm heavily invested into the Google Assistant ecosystem, but find their Nest Secure system underwhelming, so stuff that works with Google or OpenHab would be nice.

    TL;DR - I have an old-ass security system and want to upgrade it into this century.

    UPDATE: Answered my own question about the old sensors. I decided to go ahead and pull all the old flex cables off the doors and turns out they're just flexible extensions for the vibration sensors, lol. I removed all the abandoned vibration sensors. There's a couple left attached to window slide sensors, so those will be removed when I upgrade the contacts.

    submitted by /u/ancapn8
    [link] [comments]

    where on side of house should i place my camera?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/mApkfAf

    i have a long driveway and want to make sure i mount it correctly

    submitted by /u/rugg3d
    [link] [comments]

    Are you using outdoor rated ethernet for POE cameras?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    The ethernet cable eventually goes outside correct?

    Are you using outdoor rated ethernet able?

    submitted by /u/slkfj08920
    [link] [comments]

    Need camera system recommendations based on specific features

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am looking for a security camera system that has the following.

    Wireless network and power
    Free storage
    Activity Zones that be used without a power cord
    Compatible with Google Assistant/Hub
    Mounts allowing for a variety of angles

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Thrillhouse763
    [link] [comments]

    Arlo pro question

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    In search of the perfect wifi camera!

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    Hello! I've been searching for a wifi camera for my house which has continuous video recording and also has the ability to rewind and forward through the video playback easily. Nest has a wonderful option to scrub through recorded video where it has a timeline review and it's like looking at a time lapse. However Nest aware doesn't work in the UAE and thus I am looking for an alternative option. Would appreciate any recommendations!

    submitted by /u/noonytunez
    [link] [comments]

    vista 128b programming help

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    I am not certain what I need to program on my vista 128b panel to get it to recognize a 5828 that I am trying to add. I have a 5883h installed and working properly with some wireless door contacts. I have gone through the steps on the 5828 to make sure that it is set to vista in the appropriate fields. I have added a user code that matches one in the system. I added a device on address 29 as a alpha keypad in the vista programming. When I try to arm or disarm the system from the 5828, I see the red light on the 5883 light up so it is seeing it talk. What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/shmadman78
    [link] [comments]

    Brinks BHS-4000A as stand alone system

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    Can this system be used as stand alone without requirement to be connected to a monitoring service? The main panel with all wiring to window sensors, motion sensors, carbon diox sensor and door panels was installed 12 years ago but never activated with brinks/adt. I was hoping we can just get a battery for it and use it as stand alone intrusion warning system- it has a flashing warning light and siren. Any advice if this could work and what it would take to make it functional.

    submitted by /u/Hefty_Lavishness
    [link] [comments]

    Advice. Currently have Nest system looking for additional cameras to toss up.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    Moving soon to a single family home and was looking for added visibility of the property without breaking the bank for now. Currently I have Nest security with 1 indoor, outdoor, and doorbell. I was looking at blink for Alexa integration (no HomeKit) for the price of three cameras and sync module or arlo, 2 cams and module HomeKit and Alexa... any input would be greatly appreciated! The two mentioned are $50 more than one nest cam and you get 2-3 more compared to just one... HomeKit is nice but not a necessity I'll be fine until I add more nest cams(which I have set up in HomeKit via sterling hub)

    submitted by /u/rhinaman89
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment