• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 22, 2020

    Home Improvement: Anyone interested in an "I have ____ what projects could I do?" thread to help us stay busy but not go to the hardware store?

    Home Improvement: Anyone interested in an "I have ____ what projects could I do?" thread to help us stay busy but not go to the hardware store?


    Anyone interested in an "I have ____ what projects could I do?" thread to help us stay busy but not go to the hardware store?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    Kind of like the websites that tell you what to make for dinner after you input what you have in your fridge/pantry.

    I bet a lot of folks are just trying to stay busy with house projects, but it's also not the time to be making the repeated trips to the hardware store just for the sake of staying busy. Thought this could be a way of getting some good or at least amusing projects ideas!

    submitted by /u/jumpin_jumpin
    [link] [comments]

    Felt pretty darn proud of my bathroom today.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Made these signs by hand today out of sheer boredom due to the current social climate. What do we think?

    Fun(ny) Bathroom DIY!

    Materials: Wood, paint, paint pens/markers

    I wrote/drew what I wanted on a regular sheet of notebook paper and than went over the back with a graphite pencil, turned it back over, placed it over the wood and than outlined my letters and figures with a pen. This allows a what you traced with pen to show on the wood very lightly so you have a stencil without all the fuss! Quick and easy.

    submitted by /u/TriciaTakesPills
    [link] [comments]

    Installing new toilet. Water supply question

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    I'm planning to use Pex for the water supply. It will go through the floor. How do I keep it from moving? In other words how do you secure the pex so it doesn't get pulled or moved?

    submitted by /u/SpaceForce2016
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling-mounted light not flush to ceiling. How can I fix it?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/fQqMYe7

    I've linked to an image of the situation above. How can I get the light flush to the ceiling? Want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I go in there and cause any damage.

    submitted by /u/BatricePergeron
    [link] [comments]

    Storm door installation mess up - is there something I can buy to cover this hole????

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    My wife and I installed a new Anderson storm door on our house today (Ohio). This particular door requires a good amount of hole drilling for installation and directions were not clear. We ended up drilling the holes for the latch/keyhole mounting too high and I had to redrill them 1/2" lower for it to fit. The result was that some of the top hole now shows above the mounting plate cover....

    Photos: https://imgur.com/a/agr01Bj

    Is there a product that will hide this exposed hole? Something the same finished white color as the door would work well. The hole goes through both sides, so it could be a decorative white bolt or other metal that threads through.

    Thanks for any suggestions!!

    submitted by /u/kingjor12
    [link] [comments]

    Rust around drain in sink

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    What's the best way to fix this? Because of its size, I haven't been able to find a sink to replace this (it's a basement bathroom) and would like to fix this if possible...able to use porcelain paint?

    https://i.imgur.com/gX3lPMm.jpg

    submitted by /u/ChooseAUsername1024
    [link] [comments]

    Should I screw down my (already nailed down) subfloor?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    I'm remodeling a recently-purchased house, and currently have all the flooring removed on the main floor (above a daylight basement). The subfloor is 1" tongue-and-groove plywood, nailed down onto floor joists spaced 16". Should I take this opportunity to screw down the subfloor?

    I hate squeaky floors. I once passed on an otherwise great house because the floor squeaked everywhere and I didn't want to deal with it. This house I'm remodeling was built in '89 and so far the subfloor is solid.

    With subfloor 1" thick, do I even need to worry about squeaks? If screws are recommended, should I focus on specific areas like hallways or room transitions or everywhere? On a sheet of subfloor I would think that 3 screws on each long edge and a couple in the middle would be sufficient, but correct me if I'm wrong. And are regular decking screws OK, as long as they're driven below the surface?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/riot_camel
    [link] [comments]

    Dryer venting advice: Through the wall or through the floor (photos)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    I'm adding laundry in a first floor closet in my home and I'm seeking advice for venting the dryer. The easiest option would be venting straight through the exterior wall of the closet, but a plumber mentioned that he would go through the floor and run a vent on the basement ceiling to a basement window well.

    Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/YewD83l

    Is there any obvious reason why I can't drill straight through the exterior wall?

    Going through the basement would add a bunch of 90deg bends and a lot more work in general.

    As far as I can tell the vent would meet code:

    • 12" above grade
    • 3' from property line (I have a survey drawing of the property)
    • Near a gas meter, but I read that 3' distance should be adequate. I couldn't find a specific rule in the Wisconsin state code and I have contacted my utility to double check.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/gradi3nt
    [link] [comments]

    HELP. can I make my hot water last longer?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    We recently built a house and our old house had a gas hot water heater and seemed like we never had it go cold in the shower. Now at this new house we had built it has an electric and after 15-20ish minutes it goes cold and we can't get everyone through. I've adjusted the temp but I didn't think it would be good on it to max it out can I do anything else??

    submitted by /u/Vilarjett93
    [link] [comments]

    Splotchy Ceiling - how do I fix this?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/bjny2rt

    I just bought a home. I believe the previous homeowner removed the popcorn ceilings by scraping and then maybe they used the wrong paint?

    Does this need a skim coat or can I paint over it with ceiling paint?

    submitted by /u/itsreaditpeople
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be worried about these support beams in my basement?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Question: Shower water pressure low only for hot water.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    Hi. So I know nothing about plumbing but I figured this may be right the place

    I noticed that in my shower, the water pressure is fine when It's set to cold. But as soon as I turn the hot water on, the pressure decreases by like 50%.

    I have been having issues with the water heater, but usually when I press the "reset" button, within 15 minutes the hot water throughout the house is restored.

    I also had the entire unit replaced last year, as the water heater was leaking and flooded the downstairs neighbors apartment.

    Does anyone know if I could fix the hot water pressure myself? I'm in self-isolation for covid19, so I'm bored and have plenty of time to kill.

    submitted by /u/sweet-rendezvous
    [link] [comments]

    Need pressure washer recommendation

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    For commercial use

    submitted by /u/Positivity2020
    [link] [comments]

    Walk In Shower

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am new to Reddit. Before the pandemic, we received an estimate to take out our tub and shower to replace with a walk in shower. We were told that the ceramic tiles above the shower would have to be removed. Because it looks like it might be awhile before we get the shower installed, I removed the ceramic tiles and am now left with glue on the walls. The glue is on a porous like cement surface. Does anyone know if this substance can be scraped and painted. I am in my 70's but still enjoy doing home improvement.

    submitted by /u/Puffer49
    [link] [comments]

    Breaker Labeling

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    What are people doing to label breakers on the flip up lid 100 Amp breaker panels? Looks like I have 3/4 of an inch per breaker and a side panel space of 1 1/2 inches. Do you have a go to Avery Label? There is on room on the inside of the lid, since it flips up to a horizontal "table" when open.

    submitted by /u/WayneWBerry
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for diverting downspout?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    One of our downspouts discharges into a flowerbed that is surrounded on all sides by our house, and the sidewalk. We really haven't found a good way to divert the water away from the house except with an downspout extension over the sidewalk. This gutter also sees pretty heavy use because of the angle of the roof and it's the only downspout in that corner.

    So with the heavy water discharge, its not really the ideal setup. The water is constantly washing away mulch (although we do plan to put rocks down this year), the heavy water has killed the grass along the sidewalk and driveway because that's the water runs down, and in the winter ice builds up really badly.

    So we are trying to figure out a better way to divert the water so that we can save our lawn, get rid of the winter ice rink on our sidewalk, and preferably look a little nicer while getting the water away from the house.

    https://imgur.com/YduBWte https://imgur.com/FJFVhhj

    submitted by /u/jugglingporcupines
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to install a fain into an old apartment bathroom?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    We live in an old apartment building, built cca. 1978. The vents in the bathroom are small and are not equipped with fans. The vent opening is 6.5" x 8.5".

    Is it possible to install a fan onto the existing opening, without having to widen the opening?

    Rado

    submitted by /u/Rado001
    [link] [comments]

    How to Renovate a Warped Floor?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    I have a floor that has a slight, but noticeable bell shaped curve in it(higher in the middle than the sides). The floor is sound though. If I jump on it and move around, everything is supported well, its just not flat. The original flooring is hardwood, it's just hardwood for 1890-1930ish and very old with many random holes through out the years (cant be refinished).

    I was thinking a new sub-floor OSB over-top, but what challenges would the bell curved floor pose?

    I want to do either vinyl sheet or tile, but I know the tile might be a stretch.

    Do you have any recommendations for me? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/RealestRealestate
    [link] [comments]

    Can you guys give me some insight as to what this structure is that is wet from condenstation?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    My basement glass block window (20 years old, original to home) has a red/purple metalic strip on top of it that is always wet to the touch from condensation. The sides and bottom of the window do not have this strip. Any window gaps/concrete cracks has been sealed with spray foam and vulkem chaulk, and the outside brick facade has been tuck pointed. Despite all this, the metallic piece is cold and condensates from the warm basement air.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/R7VJG3d

    https://imgur.com/cz5K0Rm

    What is this piece and why is it so cold? Can it be mitigated or is it time to demo it out and replace with vinyl?

    submitted by /u/heypipiopi
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help. No cold water supply.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    I'm remodeling my downstairs shower. It was built in 1962 (mid-century modern, tri-level, upper Midwest) with an old two handle control system. The problem is, only the hot water side works. When I open the cold side, nothing. I've checked every shut off I can find in the crawl space and elsewhere and they all seem to be open. I'm suspecting there is something wrong with the valve at the handle. It has seen very little use in at least twenty years. Anyone have experience with this? Can the valve corrode shut to the point it doesn't release any water at all?

    I'm seeking any advice I can find before I start tearing up floors and ceilings.

    submitted by /u/GiltLorn
    [link] [comments]

    Gutters into French drain

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    My apologies if this question has been asked before. I searched but couldn't find anything.

    My backyard slopes away from my house and my gutters flow away from my house so no issue with water around my crawl space. The issue I'm having is erosion from the gutters. I have 4 gutters coming off the back of my house I can't seem to stay ahead of the erosion since I moved in last summer. I was thinking about running each of them underground through a 10 ft French drain into a pop up valve for overflow. Is this a good idea? If so, should I change anything about the design? Any other ideas for how to deal with the erosion?

    Thanks for any information you can provide.

    submitted by /u/ewhuff
    [link] [comments]

    Best method for insulting upstairs bedroom?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    So I took down the walls in the upstairs bedroom with the intent to re-insulate and new drywall, but the a-typical construction has me concerned about proper insulation method. I had planned on foam channels from the soffit eaves to the ridge vent, followed by Fiberglas batts, then drywall. However, where the wall meets the roof, there is apparently no access to the eaves for ventilation, it just meets at an 8" x 8" beam. Should I just insulate without ventilation? Should I forgo the vent channels? Thoughts.https://imgur.com/a/oyVUXGQ/

    submitted by /u/Justagreewithme
    [link] [comments]

    Basement staircase: Should I go skirtless?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 04:48 PM PDT

    *washes hands*

    Hi everyone!

    I know skirts for staircases are very practical, but I tend to lean towards modern/minimalist design. There's something about a staircase like this that I enjoy more than a standard one with a skirtboard.
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/f0/cd/74f0cd7529dda4a895742681070c3fbf.jpg
    https://www.houselogic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hardwood-floor-finishes-stairs-retina_retina_83d9349e10b967b46c499b88b29e1d6c.jpg

    Do my walls have to be perfectly straight to achieve something like this? Is it more work for my contractor? Is it worth it? Skirtless staircase owners, I need your two cents!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/clark_harrison
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment