• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 22, 2020

    Home Improvement: What are some inexpensive home improvements I can do during the pandemic? Bonus points if they are simple.

    Home Improvement: What are some inexpensive home improvements I can do during the pandemic? Bonus points if they are simple.


    What are some inexpensive home improvements I can do during the pandemic? Bonus points if they are simple.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I built a shed!

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    Thanks to the help of a lot of commenters on a previous post, I built a shed in our backyard! Got it done in about a week and a half last fall, but just now getting to post pictures. https://imgur.com/a/2i7ErzZ

    submitted by /u/thuetten
    [link] [comments]

    How to tell if a house has undergone the "HGTV treatment"?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 04:32 AM PDT

    especially when house hunting. other than checking last sell date to determine if it might be a flip, what other cues can a first time home buyer look for when examining renovations? how can someone determine if work has been done shoddily and corners have been cut?

    submitted by /u/Heavy_Cheddar
    [link] [comments]

    Am I helping, or hurting local businesses by purchasing from them right now?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    On one hand I'm helping support the economy, and people get paid... but on the other hand, I'm putting them in danger. We're not on a shelter in place order, and a good amount of businesses are still open. My opinion on the pandemic is that everyone should be at home isolated... but of course essential businesses are to stay open. Obviously I don't want to go to home depot for non emergency reasons.... But what if a locally owned lumber yard is still open and will deliver? I have a few projects I'd like to work on if I'm locked at home for a month that require lumber. I can't decide if I'm a jerk for putting people at risk by being out delivering lumber to me, or if I'm helping them make money and they want to be working. I work at an essential company and a lot of warehouse people aren't happy about being at work during the pandemic while other staff members can work from home.

    submitted by /u/GFK2K
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good things to fix around the house during this time?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Pretty much just want to know what people can fix up around their house without having to go to the store if you already have the standard tools. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/billythygoat
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to sand these soffits?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    What would be the best way for me to sand these soffits? this and this.

    I've been looking at a electric drywall sanders like the Porter Cable 7800 but I'm not sure that it'll be light enough to work up side down for a while... Maybe an orbital sander?

    Or the wood is too far gone and needs to be replaced?

    Thanks fellas!

    submitted by /u/olbez
    [link] [comments]

    Quality differences in brad nails? 18 gauge

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    I am gonna pick up the Milwaukee M18 nailer to install a lot of trim throughout several houses. I want to ensure that I am buying good brad nails, if it's worth thinking about. Has anyone found certain brands to be better than others, or are they all the same? Do I need to avoid ones that say "glue collated"?

    submitted by /u/three_horsemen
    [link] [comments]

    Heating problem

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    My house is a 2 story with a basement. Usually, the basement is cold, the main level cool, and upstairs is warm. Over the last week or two, it's become that the basement is freezing, main floor is cold, and upstairs is HOT.

    House is about 70 years old but fully updated. We've lived here for 2 years now and k don't recall this happening in previous years.

    At first I thought the weather changing was impacting the temperature inside, but now it's so bad. The whole house is uncomfortable by being either too hot or too cold. I just don't know why we have this problem all of a sudden. Of course, now is not a good time time have a contractor come in so I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/GreenFoolery22
    [link] [comments]

    Stair remodel

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    I finally had it with the cats destroying the carpet on the stairs today and ripped it all up. Blame the cabin fever caused by being stuck at home since Wednesday but it seemed like a good idea at the time...

    Anyway, this house was built (very poorly) in 2013, so the treads are MDF and the risers are OSB. I have a plan for the risers but I'm wondering how reasonable of a person I am if I don't want to replace the treads and instead paint them. I'm really not looking forward to ripping up the stairs and installing new ones that can be stained.

    Our budget is $500 and we have 15 stairs, plus the top one. Upstairs has carpet so I have no idea what to do with that top stair, but downstairs has dark brown engineered hardwood. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/HighFastFlyer
    [link] [comments]

    Need difficult to steal driveway markers

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Basically this place is in the sticks and there are precisely zero lights or landmarks. I still miss the driveway half the time knowing good and well where it is. The little reflector sticks get stolen quickly by intoxicated yahoos with nothing better to do on any given night of the week.

    What are some reasonably-priced options to add some lighting or reflective surface that isn't tacky or vulnerable to theft? House will go on the market so as much as I'd like to install concrete gargoyles with light-up eyes I think it's best not to. Cannot do anything to the mailbox.

    submitted by /u/bonbons2006
    [link] [comments]

    Overthinking something regarding home heating oil- I just swapped companies based on price, do I need to specify anything when getting delivery as far as "type"?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    I had a fillup coming next week and their price is $.60+ per gallon higher which seemed absurd based on current oil prices. I called a new company and set up a delivery, more of a "mom and pop" shop and told them I needed home heating oil delivery, it was a quick phone call, and now I want to make sure there aren't different types I need to specify and could run the risk of damage to my boiler. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/guest123420
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Ceiling fan

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    I've a fan that has hung for a few years with no light(the people fixing the house left before finishing). If possible I need what that part is called and possibly where I could get it.
    https://imgur.com/a/rmlbo0p

    Here's one with the part and without. It's the thing the light hangs off of. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lychanking
    [link] [comments]

    Basement wall shifting inwards

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    I am looking at purchasing a house that has this large crack/shift and the bottom of one of the basement walls. It is pushing inwards about 2-3 inches and spans about 10-12 feet of the wall. The sellers have pictures from when they bought the house 3 years ago and the crack was there and the same size. House had drainage tiles installed in 2005 which may have fixed the issue. Would you have any concerns with this wall? How can it be fixed and about how much would it cost?

    submitted by /u/ReadMyNips
    [link] [comments]

    Tile Grout Color Opinion

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 01:51 AM PDT

    So the house I moved into has really ugly white grout in the kitchen/bathroom/ main entrance which I've tried cleaning and give up (it's badly stained). I decided I'm going to use grout stain (Polyblend), but can't decide on a color. If I get white, will it resist staining and dirt better than the original grout? Or should I go with a darker color? Was thinking o fan a light gray maybe.

    I attached photos from the original house listing. Only change now is the walls are a nice gray color. Thanks!

    kitchen photos

    submitted by /u/Ak072090
    [link] [comments]

    What’s this duvalacky that’s in every new door handle set?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    I can't figure out how to put a picture up but it's flat metal about 2 inches long by maybe 5mm with a sharp bend in the middle. One end is pointy and the other end has a tiny hook on it. They're never part of the actual door set either.

    submitted by /u/LurkForYourLives
    [link] [comments]

    Weird electrical issues going on in various bedrooms of my home. Where should I start?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 11:34 PM PDT

    My master bedroom power went out, but there's no heavy load going on. Just a box fan and TV. I flipped the main off then on, but the power is still out. About 5 minutes later the power comes back on, but in a reduced capacity. Lights are dim, fan is running at half speed. It seems to only affect a couple bedrooms. I have absolutely no clue what's going on, or where to begin troubleshooting. It's 1am, so I am kind of writing this in a panic. Any ideas on where to start?

    Im in the US. There's a streetlight outside that's out, but if it's at the street level, not sure how it would be affecting specific breakers in my home.

    submitted by /u/lozyk
    [link] [comments]

    Lights out without a breaker trip

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    Tonight, suddenly, a few lights in my house stopped working. They're all on the same circuit. That circuit breaker has not tripped.

    I grabbed my non contact tester and a normal light switch or outlet only makes the tester beep when extremely close. This particular circuit makes the tester go off from around a foot away.

    What are my options here? I pulled every light bulb on the circuit out with no change and it's constant, not like there's one particular magic cycle that turns things on so I imagine it's something bigger. I am fairly capable with minor electrical issues, is this one I should absolutely not get into?

    submitted by /u/hassimir
    [link] [comments]

    Due to COVID-19, what projects will you complete early or start working on?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:25 AM PDT

    Since staying home, I've been able to work on painting the house, washing all the faux blinds, and getting rid of things we don't need anymore. It's been soothing to get it all done. Hopefully, I'll be finished with these three things by next week and starting on my next projects.

    submitted by /u/christmasMom87
    [link] [comments]

    Popcorn ceiling removal caused shower drain clog

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    We recently had contractors hired to remove popcorn ceilings and noticed a clog in the bathroom shower drain immediately after. This is in a new house that passed inspection and we have not utilized the showers since the contractors started. We noticed a weird smell and discovered standing water in the shower drain. The shower drain was not covered during the popcorn ceiling removal. We believe some popcorn ceiling remains were flushed down the shower drain and have now created a clog. We tried to suck/blow out the clog with a shop ax with no success. We have also noticed a spot downstairs under the bathroom now. What steps should we take to remove the clog and how should we resolve the leak seen from the downstairs ceiling? How concerned should we be?

    submitted by /u/bills4everyo
    [link] [comments]

    Bathtub Removal ?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    I'm trying to remove a bath tub on my basement (slab) and it doesn't seem to have a standard screw out drain assembly? I guess I'm not quite sure what other types of assemblies there are? Guessing the tub is original, built in 1991 not sure that helps.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dahlberg123
    [link] [comments]

    List of basic battery powered hand tools to build basic structures and do basic tasks.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 11:04 PM PDT

    That's basically it. I'm frustrated. I was once super confident about fixing things and working with tools. Then I met my kids dad. All of his tools are modified in some way where they are dangerous and don't work properly. He's a carpenter. They work for him. I hoping if I get some proper tools if I'll get things done faster with less frustration.

    submitted by /u/brandnewdayinfinity
    [link] [comments]

    In wall drilling to run Ethernet cables

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I am looking to do this little project right the first time and am looking for a tip or two to make sure this goes well. I am looking to hard Ethernet wire a couple of spots in my house during the big lock down to try and increase speeds of laptops for video conferencing.

    I know this requires a long flex bit but what advice would you have to make sure this little project goes well? What is the best way to make sure the long bit doesn't go off track and ruin something?

    Thanks in advance. Pacific NW.

    submitted by /u/runznar
    [link] [comments]

    Paint Peeling in Bathroom

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    So we had our bathroom renovated in 2019 and it was a complete nightmare and hasn't been finished yet. Now because of COVID-19 my dad has time to finish the bathroom. Today he was measuring the walls to put up the mirror above the vanity and used painters tape for guidance and when he took the tap off, the paint peeled with it. Should this be happening? The walls were painted back in October/November (I can't remember what month) and we only just started using that bathroom today for showers. We used the Benjamin Moore Bath & Spa paint.

    submitted by /u/westnerberg
    [link] [comments]

    What is this growing under my roof eave? (Los Angeles)

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:37 PM PDT

    Hi, there's been mild dry rot in this spot for awhile (it's a standard shiplap board on top of a rafter tail), but I recently noticed this light brown stuff (fungus???) growing out of it. PICS HERE (We've had heavy rains lately, so I wonder if that caused it to grow.) Area is approx. 3 x 3 inches. I'm pretty sure there isn't a leak on the shingles directly above, as the roof is fairly new. QUESTION: Should I scrape the rot out, put wood hardener, then use epoxy filler, then sand, prime and paint? Is there are special treatment for the rot? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/kingtaco_17
    [link] [comments]

    What’s this part called?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:01 PM PDT

    I was trying to tighten the set screw on my Moen shower handle and heard an unfortunate crack. Knowing that's usually a bad sign, I removed the handle and noticed the plastic bit the handle slides on to is snapped on the bottom.

    Does anyone have any idea what this part is called? I've been looking online for a parts diagram but I have no idea what the model number is on this handle and would like to avoid taking apart the entire thing to find out.

    Pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/4hg8Exr

    :)

    submitted by /u/chili_elf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment