• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 5, 2021

    Home security: Surveillance Camera System/Set with pinhole cameras? Recommendations?

    Home security: Surveillance Camera System/Set with pinhole cameras? Recommendations?


    Surveillance Camera System/Set with pinhole cameras? Recommendations?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 08:25 AM PST

    I am looking for a Surveillance Camera System set with pinhole cameras for out door use.

    I noticed there are only sets out there with casual cameras with casing to put on the wall.

    But I need one with pinhole cameras which fit in to my door spyhole and also can hide in objects for outdoor viewing.

    Therefor would be also a night vision from help.

    They should work over wireless, and only need a energy source like casual eu plug.

    And a kind of a mother box for keeping the recording and analysis for movement detection that I don't have to monitore/watch 24 hours surveillance footage.

    Thank full for any recommendation!

    submitted by /u/Doovester
    [link] [comments]

    Dahua IR Lights Using GUI

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 07:46 AM PST

    I have five Dahua cameras, three different models. I cannot figure out for the life of me how the IR lights are supposed to work using the GUI. Using manual mode, I've only been able to turn the IR on with two cameras, and then it's only happened a couple times out of many attempts. This is all done at night, with and without ambient lights.

    I'm using a PoE switch for all cameras. While using BI5, I'm not using that to control the IR or use day/night profiles or schedules.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/bgm1911
    [link] [comments]

    Car security in apartment complex?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 05:24 AM PST

    I'm moving to a new area, but it's near a shopping center and there's several reports of car break ins (even though it's gated). I won't be able to see or hear a break in, and I probably wouldn't hear my car alarm.

    Is there a system I can use for a break in alerts, say on my phone? I would be close enough for a long range fob remote starter to reach my car from my home. Or possibly a better system than the regular old car alarm?

    Also, I'm not trying to be superman and stop the perp lol, so maybe there's a better suggestion for prevention than a regular alarm or a dash cam?

    Just trying to get an idea where I could start looking. Thank you for the tips!

    1. I'd prefer not to get a Hotspot in both my cars, it's possible it wouldn't have great reception anyway due to cement garage

    2. I could probably setup a long range wifi system to get internet to and from the car from my home. Not sure that's helpful.

    3. I realize cameras aren't super helpful, esp w masks and other face coverings, but maybe helpful for insurance if something happens?

    submitted by /u/notmomo1
    [link] [comments]

    Adt command panel help

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 02:22 PM PST

    Hello, I recently just moved into a house with the adt command panel installed. I notice there was many wires in the basement but there all cut. It still seems like the system works but I can never disarm the system. I think I've read only adt can only change the code? Is that true?? Also when ever I open a door/windows it shows on the panel. But there's one sensor I can't find in the house and it keeps going off saying supervision needed... is there any way to locate the sensor? I've look everywhere, and found all of them except that one. Also, is it possible to change the system panel for a ring device?

    The panel is a Honeywell ADT7AIO

    submitted by /u/Mkduong22
    [link] [comments]

    Balancing Simplicity for Surveillance System

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 07:57 AM PST

    I am purchasing my first home soon and looking into a few camera systems. The more I look into the options, the more I realize most require a lot of management overhead. Can anyone share their experience using these systems and their decision process?

    Below are the contenders and a few important distinctions on cost or features, which I've encountered via research and testing. I was fully committed to Blue Iris after initial research but after testing, I'm not sure it's the solution for me. Definitely a ton of optimization and configuration, which is great, but I think the management overhead is higher than I care for.

    My next step is to test Surveillance Station. The license cost is unfortunate, but at least it doesn't lock you into any specific cameras. My main reservation here is reducing the lifespan of such a critical system - any other system writes to a local disk and either archives to a NAS or doesn't touch the NAS at all. SS will tax the disks in addition to the CPU/RAM.

    The Ubiquiti route is the most appealing to me outside of cost and migration concerns.

    • Blue iris
      • one time purchase (sort of).
      • Additional cost for mobile app (per device I believe)
      • powerful but steep learning curve.
      • Pretty resource hungry (even with substreams / QuickSync)
      • Windows only
      • Seems to require quite a bit of optimization
      • Easily integrates to home automation
      • Developer reputation questionable, in addition to whole system relying on a single developer (from my understanding)
    • XProtect Essentials+
      • Free up to 8 cameras
      • Windows only
    • Synology Surveillance Station
      • 2 cameras free, about $50 / camera after (minor bulk savings)
      • Licenses not tied to a particular camera - just number of cameras
      • No additional hardware required / no additional PC to patch
        • Least amount of hardware setup required
      • Potentially taxing a critical system with 24/7 recording
        • Not sure it really matters from a disk perspective if using SHR2 with spare disks on site. CPU and RAM constantly pegged probably not great though.
      • Unsure how well mobile app works
    • UniFi Protect
      • closed ecosystem = simplicity
      • Expensive cameras, especially for feature set
        • In their defense, Ubiquiti gear is generally pretty good quality
      • Heard mixed things about motion detection and IR
      • Cameras handle motion detection, so it will only be as good as the camera
        • Partly why the cameras are more expensive, and why the CloudKey requires minimal resources (pros and cons here I guess?)
      • Can't use cameras with other systems - no migration path
      • Requires cloud key gen2 ($200) (pros and cons)
        • Not necessarily terrible. Already running UniFi APs so built-in UniFi controller is nice, the battery backup is clutch, low power draw, auto-updates, built in drive for recordings.
      • Abandoned old platform UniFi Video, questionable long term support
      • No port forwarding required for remote viewing via app (although required for certain use cases)
      • Mobile app supposedly great
        • WAF
    submitted by /u/save_earth
    [link] [comments]

    Home alarm question?

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 08:59 AM PST

    I moved into my house in June and it has ADT sensors/home panel installed. We don't have service with them. Not sure if I can repurpose these or if I need to have them actively monitor them?
    I saw costco had a ring system for sale (10 piece 300 dollars) which would probably suit my house. We have arlo cameras and a ring doorbell, so I already have some familiarity with them (although I like the arlo>ring because no sub fee)....

    Thoughts on if the first route is doable, or if the second is an option others have tried?

    submitted by /u/HoDillyDor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment