• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 5, 2021

    Home security: Looking for advice as a suburban woman

    Home security: Looking for advice as a suburban woman


    Looking for advice as a suburban woman

    Posted: 05 Jan 2021 01:46 AM PST

    Hello,

    I am a woman effectively living alone in a suburban townhouse, along a golf course. I live with my father, but he is disabled and so effectively I'm the only one really going outside that someone would see.

    There has been a steady increase in both burglaries and sexual assaults in my area. Having survived both in the past, I'm prepared to do anything to prevent it from happening again. There are also some past enemies that I'm concerned might want to hurt me.

    I've taken the usual steps of training myself to always lock doors, windows, close the curtains, etc. I have gotten close with some of the neighbors, though some others are of some concern to me (long story there). Most of my interior doors (except for closets, etc.) lock.

    I'm considering several options for home security. Having a gun is off the table as the property owner does not permit them on the premises.

    The obvious solution would be a security system. That is the main option I'm considering (and part of why I'm posting this thread), but I have some requirements for which ones would be the best.

    1. Must cover windows as well as doors.

    2. Must be some kind of loud noise to both inform me of a burglary and stun the offender.

    3. Must be a very strong deterrent.

    4. Unlikely to be triggered by the lawn care workers, animals, or golfers looking for a lost ball.

    5. Must have cameras linked to my phone AND computer.

    If all these requirements cannot be met by one system alone, is it possible to combine different ones?

    The deterrent value is probably the most important part. What, other than a sign, would be the best external deterrent, before someone even enters?

    I'm convinced that in my situation, the most likely motive for a break-in would be to sexually assault or even kill me. Does this likely motive translate to different steps that need to be taken with security?

    I apologize if any of my questions are stupid. I don't really know anything in this field.

    Thanks,

    Victoria

    submitted by /u/Victoria5475
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless alarm system or hardwired? What are the differences/benefits?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 03:19 PM PST

    There are a lot of wireless DIY alarm systems out on the market and I've been wary of them thinking that they won't be as reliable in regards to connectivity compared to hardwired systems.

    Specifically with PIR sensors, I assumed hardwired meant they would be continuously connected to the central hub to go off when triggered. But I also understand hardwired in most cases means related to powering the sensors and wireless battery operated units usually have a battery life of 12 months or so.

    I'm now confused as to whether to keep trying to find a hardwired alarm system or just go for a wireless one.

    Note: I have wiring in place so can go either way but I just want something that's going to be reliable and trigger in times of need.

    submitted by /u/hxv92
    [link] [comments]

    Overwhelmed by options - help me find a simple peephole cam to see out of my apartment?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 12:52 PM PST

    I've tried googling this, but I am getting a lot of results for cameras you install outside your front door. I live in an apartment building, and all I want is a camera that looks through my peephole from the inside and broadcasts to my phone or my computer so I can see when packages get dropped outside my door without me having to constantly check.

    Is there a popular product I should consider, or is there a specific search term I should be using to find what I want? I don't need a doorbell or an intercom or anything. I don't want to replace my existing peephole, but just place the camera over it to look through it. All I want a camera feed looking through my own peephole so I don't have to stand there and do it with my own eyes, lol.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/platinumplantain
    [link] [comments]

    Eufy or DIY, sway me?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 12:12 PM PST

    So backstory: I have the Eufy doorbell and have had a mostly good experience with it. On occasion it has flat out missed a person on my porch which is not ideal and or we have received the notification much later after the event. Reboots or clearing the on board storage seem to get it behaving correctly again.

    My mostly quiet neighborhood has had some theft recently. Unfortunately the two I heard about were both my neighbor. First all of his tools from his work trailer, then his daughters new prius was literally lifted, catalytic converter stolen, and put back down in the middle of the night with no one noticing.

    I'm ready to up my security a bit now and so is the financial advisor (wife) so we started in on reading and watching reviews. Most of the easy consumer stuff kicked me in the direction of more Eufy products. Figured having it all in one app makes it much easier for my other half to navigate as she isn't super tech savvy. Looking to put up 4x cameras to cover each side of our house. Going with the homebase 2 kit with 2x 2c cameras and purchasing two more cameras separate.

    Now here comes the tinkerer techy side of me. I run a Unraid server, have tons of NAS storage, a ubiquiti ERX SFP with some poe ports, and enough tech savvy to be dangerous. Maybe I can cover our house for cheaper or the same price (~$500) and end up with a overall better setup with more expandability and more features.

    Basically what I need is motion detection, locally stored video files, audio in is nice, reliability, notifications to my phone, and ability to see cameras on phone app.

    Bonuses niceties would be two way audio and 24/7 recording not just on events.

    My house is not wired for ethernet so setting up poe stuff is going to obviously be a much bigger project than just mounting Eufy cams everywhere. I can handle it, just a project.

    Thoughts or recommendations? Thank you all.

    submitted by /u/Ride1226
    [link] [comments]

    Are security companies ripping us off?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 06:05 AM PST

    So a few months ago I was going to get an ADT system. I was going to get a simple package of door and window sensors, along with 3 cameras, 1 indoor and 2 outdoor. The price for the equipment was about $1200, with a multi-year contract at $60 a month. They came to do the install, hit a water line in my living room and flooded my downstairs. $20,000 dollars in damages, I did not continue with the service.

    I began looking at Vivint. They seemed technologically advanced compared to other companies, and I gave them a call. For the same setup listed above, plus a doorbell camera, they wanted $2300 in equipment, with $60 a month monitoring.

    Is it just me or does it seem like they are marking up the cost of these cameras 10 fold? I can't imagine these cameras cost them more than $50 each, which they turn around and sell for $500-$600 each? I was always under the impression that these companies made the most of their money on monitoring fees. Knowing how much they mark these things up really makes me hesitate on what system to get.

    I currently have ring and absolutely hate the wireless security. I want a good wired security company that doesn't break the bank.

    submitted by /u/Bama99
    [link] [comments]

    Victure, your smart indoor guardian.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 06:46 PM PST

    Cctv dvr box & router suggestions?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 01:48 PM PST

    Asking for a friend. Whats a good easy to setup dvr(correct me if im wrong, the main box with HDD and computing power) and also a router since what his ISP has provided(free of charge,it works but is very cheapo) is not up to scratch we believe. Nothing too overboard in terma of pricing ...

    submitted by /u/tomashen
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions wanted for hidden security camera

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 12:08 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I hope this is the right sub; I figured you all would have experience with security cams, and I have been having difficulty finding what I am after.

    I am trying to monitor some land where we've had some issues, and am trying to find a camera that we can hide in logs, fake rocks, etc. to monitor a roadway to the property. We will need to power it by battery, but believe we could modify most cameras to work with battery power.

    Ideal features:

    • Motion (event) detection
    • Local micro SD storage
    • Ability to transmit over a local network to a central collection point
    • Tiny. I've thought about the Wyze cam system, but they're a bit too large for what I am after.
    • Weatherproof/resistant - silicone can be used to help with that as need be I suppose.

    Needs to be sensitive to IR light, and would love if there was a way to hook in to that circuit to trigger a remote-mounted 940nM panel.

    I found this model, which would be perfect, but it is rather a bit expensive.

    Any suggestions are much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Historical_Name_1635
    [link] [comments]

    New ADC-VDB770 install trouble

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 12:02 PM PST

    Just got the new ADV-VDB770 and can't seem to get it installed on ADC through Hawk Security. Hawk doesn't seem like they've ever even heard of it... and want to charge me to come out to install it.

    I get the doorbell onto my network, and the adc app picks it up. I click on it, give it a name, and it immediately says installation failed, contact dealer.

    Anyone have any idea?

    submitted by /u/rmanTX
    [link] [comments]

    24 Hour Supervisory on Pwer Series Pro

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 04:06 AM PST

    Looking to put in some normally closed zones that supervise some compressors. They turn off routinely for defrost cycles and so I don't want the alarm responded to by the station immediately. I cannot seem to get this to work on the new Power series pro panel. I have had to program them as Panic alarms and silence them under Zone attributes and then leave special instructions at the station. I've talked to DSC technical support but they seem just as clueless even though they built the damn thing. Any help would be outstanding thank you.

    Cyprien

    submitted by /u/kingcyp
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Door Alarms for Metal Doors??

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 11:36 AM PST

    Hi y'all, I'm looking for advice on a door alarm for an apartment door. I've found some inexpensive ones online however the reviews on most mention they are not very good on a metal door. I'm just looking for the simple motion detecting ones that are not monitored, just battery operated with a chime and alarm, preferably one that will send notifications to your phone but that's not a must. TIA

    submitted by /u/Typo_Qeuen
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with 30+ camera system

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 09:11 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have just started my new position at a cannabis company and one of my first tasks is upgrading the security system. Because of blind spots we will need 2-4 cameras per room. We need indoor and outdoor as well. I'm looking for something that saves for at least a week, and that can also be accessed at any time through the phone. I don't have an exact number for budget , but my goal is to keep it as reasonable as possible within the constraints. I'm really not even sure where to start in terms of: type of computer needed, storage, cameras, operating system. Any help is appreciated. I'm in Southern California, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Imjusttryingtothink
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a specific device not sure if it exists

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 07:04 AM PST

    I was looking at the motion sensor alarms mainly used to protect peoples garages, that have a key fob so can activate and deactivate remotely. But I want one that can also send me a notification on my phone if it is triggered. I live in the hood and people don't call the police for alarms so if it can shred the intruder's earballs that would be a big plus, also needs to be as affordable as possible. I'm protecting a couple of grand worth of computers in my apartment but can't afford a proper security system or content insurance. If I can't find what I'm looking for I might get a motion sensor camera with the notification functionality as well. I'd appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/dodgeyneighbours
    [link] [comments]

    Need DVR recommendations (I think)

    Posted: 04 Jan 2021 07:04 AM PST

    I just moved to a new place and have several of these - https://imgur.com/a/W6afxrz

    They are all connected via what look to be 2 coaxial cables each to one bedroom. I bought a standard DVR but no luck in getting any video. I'm completely new to home security but from what i can tell they maybe old and need power over coaxial.

    Is anyone familiar with the camera and can advise on how to hook up or are they too old?

    submitted by /u/pat_the_mac
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment