• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 20, 2021

    Home security: New here, intro and access control question

    Home security: New here, intro and access control question


    New here, intro and access control question

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 02:37 PM PST

    Hi guys, found this sub through a question I asked in r/HomeNetworking

    I am in the enterprise security business but am buying my first home so wanted some input on residential access control. Truth be told, I've just been spoiled by my current apartment who offers keyless entry with a ButterflyMX intercom, readers on exterior doors, and punch locks on unit entrances.

    I have not yet experienced Wi-Fi deadbolts or locks, I assume it is similar to other Wi-Fi locks like Salto/ASSA have, but hopefully much cheaper. A few people I know have used punch locks whether it be buttons or keypads for their front doors. What do you guys think for a "smarter" keyless solution? I will be changing all the locks anyway as the new owner so just thinking about a slight upgrade for convenience sake. I have 2 entrances I would want keyless entry to, potentially a small shed that I would want to secure.

    As far as video goes, I believe I have that covered. Have some demo cameras, switches, and unlimited access to CAT6a. I am getting a partner of ours to hook me up with a demo license to use their software and app and just need to dig up an old server or computer to record to.

    Any input would be appreciated and let me know how I can be of assistance! I'll try my best with recommending what I know from my short time in this business but looking forward to learning more about the residential side!

    submitted by /u/bpt1047
    [link] [comments]

    UPS and power supply instead of panel battery

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:42 PM PST

    The DSC has a 12V 7AH backup battery. Has anyone run a power supply from a UPS system in lieu of the battery?
    A UPS would have a few hours of run time on it when the grid is lost. I suppose the DSC is supposed to holdup for 24 hours? Would the DSC electronics accept the input (would have some ripple and maybe different impedance)? This would save having to replace the battery every 3 or 4 years and make use of a larger battery.

    submitted by /u/golksc
    [link] [comments]

    Ring Security + Ring Camera OR Blink Camera

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    Just moved into a new house and I'm setting up a Ring Security system (just the sensors and alarm with monitoring - which turns out being $10 a month).

    I want to add cameras to the system. However, Ring cameras are fairly expensive. I found Blink cameras are considerably less and have better reviews.

    The info on the company websites is super unclear about the cost breakdown for these and I don't know what random blogs to trust. For those who know, can you please help with the answers below:

    -does it cost more to add Ring cameras to the basic Ring monitoring plan for sensors?

    -will Amazon blink and ring work ok together? I understand I will have to monitor both apps

    -what would the monitoring cost be for amazon blink? (My Family has blink and pays nothing, but it seems from online there is a fee??)

    -overall recommendations on which cameras are better?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/whitecarcoalition
    [link] [comments]

    Best home security system with military discount

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:10 PM PST

    Hello!! Just bought a home in texas and I'm looking for a good home security system that has military discounts ? Any recommendations Thank you!

    submitted by /u/filetmignon90
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for gate lock with key, optional keypad and ability to open using front door opener wiring

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 11:45 AM PST

    We're installing a door gate at our condo and I'd like to be able to reuse the door opener wiring (controlled via old style intercom) to also open the gate. I would also like a key and code. (Key for USPS key keeper which will be built onto gate). I would like for the keypad to open the gate as well as be able to use the same wiring for the door to open the gate. Can someone recommend something to start with? I already have home automation and doorbells for smart home control. For the gate I'm just looking for a non smart system.

    Located in California, US

    submitted by /u/nachumk
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for camera recommendations

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 10:05 AM PST

    Hi Reddit I am looking for suggestions for security cameras that meet the following criteria

    • Highest possible quality images day and night
    • Video gets stored only on my own personal Linux computer as normal playable video files NO CLOUD or SD cards. I will be encrypting the system
    • Ethernet only, no wifi
    • Cost and storage space are not issues

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions

    submitted by /u/Catman152
    [link] [comments]

    Any good recording devices for continuous AUDIO recording indoors? I want to record some conversations but won't always be able to start and stop it on my own

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 12:48 PM PST

    I want something for continuous recording, preferably to the cloud so i can check anywhere (but without monthly fees) or to a SD card.

    I am not using this for legal purposes. If it is a rechargeable battery that can lasts several days or weeks at a time, that would be most optimal.

    I am hoping to spend under $80, but its pviotal the audio recordings are decipherable (i have wyze cam but audio is hard to tell apart.)

    Thanks, please don't worry about legalities. I am not using this in a courtroom and don't need the consent in my country.

    submitted by /u/DoctorQuinlan
    [link] [comments]

    Need ZoneMinder camera. Must use Wi-Fi, IR, and be powered off AC (or USB with wall adapter.)

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 11:56 AM PST

    Making the front door of my apartment more secure for when I’m gone?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 11:13 AM PST

    I only have one entrance to my apartment and it only has a deadbolt. I don't really care about when I'm home but am looking for more solutions for when I'm gone. I know things like door bars only work when home...any suggestions? I'm petrified that somebody will break into my apartment and let my poor cats loose outside. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/andromeda_a
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for very bright - "turn night into day" - exterior motion lights

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 06:01 AM PST

    Looking to get a few very bright motion lights for the exterior of my house. Ideally Id like to have them all on a switch so while we are home we can go outside and not get blinded.

    If there are Solar options that have some method of turning off and can be as bright as possible Im open for it. I went into this assuming Ill have to wire them in.

    submitted by /u/rushmid
    [link] [comments]

    Camera that automatically shows video feed when motion is detected?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:59 AM PST

    Does anyone know of a camera that automatically shows video feed when motion is detected? Preferably on a smart phone, but I could use dedicated tablets. Or is there software solution that can do this?

    Currently I have a set of Arlo cameras but am willing to upgrade. Cost isnt really an issue - these 6 Arlo cameras came with the house so I wont be out any money.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/rushmid
    [link] [comments]

    How to protect our property from burglar who might come back with a signal jammer for our Arlo wireless cameras?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:10 AM PST

    This week in the middle of the night, a burglar crept into our yard towards our front door. He stopped when he saw the infrared lights (red) on an Arlo camera that is mounted on a pole 10 feet from our front door. Then he approached close to the side of the camera and stared at it then turned and exited our property very quickly.

    He was wearing gloves, a cap, and a face gator. Only his eyes are visible. His movements were very controlled and calm throughout. Everybody who has seen the video says he looks dangerous and like a career burglar and they comment on his meticulous air and how he looks like a thinker.

    So I am really concerned that he had a good reason to approach so closely to the camera to stare at it after already obviously seeing it was there. I doubt he didn't understand immediately that it was a security camera. This makes me think he came closer to it and studied it because he was verifying the brand so that he can come back to use a jammer or something.

    I want to do something else to protect our property. I hope some of you might have some suggestions. I want to keep our wireless cameras but add extra security on top of that.

    I am thinking of adding a wired system as well but I can't do that very soon. In the summer, my husband and I can run some lines under the ground and try to build a system that can't easily be cut but there is only so much we can do because the electricity to the house is not secure. It runs to the side of the house and is accessible by just about anybody. Trying to set up some sort of backup generator for it would be expensive and difficult because our house is not large enough to hold a massive generator so it would have to be outside which leaves the entire thing vulnerable to being tampered with.

    I was looking at wireless systems that don't use wifi but I haven't found one that doesn't have some concerning bad reviews.

    At this point I don't know what to do. This guy really concerns me. I have given the video and still shots from it to both the state and local police of course but I know that is unlikely to help. I don't recognize him. I think I would recognize him by his body, distinctive walk, and the only good shot I have of his face with is just one cheek, eye and part of his forehead. He has long hair so it seems likely he wasn't in prison recently. I have considered going to county booking to look at arrest photos but I doubt that will help much.

    I am so mad at myself that I didn't see the alert from the camera until the next day. It is because I have a lot of relatives and friends overseas and they text, viber, and what's app me at night pretty often since that is their day, which wakes up my husband and screws up his work day since he has a real job unlike this piece of sh*t burglar. So I always mute my phone. I wish I would have caught this SOB.

    If anybody has any good ideas for me for a way to secure our property against him for when we aren't home, please tell me. We are worried about protecting our belongings when we aren't here not when we are here for the most part. Our state has a strong castle law so we can shoot him both in the house and in the yard. It is when we aren't home that I am really worried he will come back. He seems to study his victims before making a move. He looks like he did prison time and like he doesn't want to again so he is a planner. That is what I got from watching the video of him about a hundred times.

    Update: We are going to by an UPS (uninterrupted power supply) so we'll be covered for about eight hours if electrical power is cut to the house. But that still won't help if somebody uses a jammer.

    submitted by /u/korea0rbust
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless DIY camera system UK

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 04:37 AM PST

    Looking for a wireless camera (with alarm) for a house. Eufy looks good however the door bell and internal camera do not record to the HomeBase. My other concern is if the house is broken in, the likelihood of the thieves taking the HomeBase- can the recordings be duplicated elsewhere?

    My requirements: minimum 4 wireless cameras, 1 internal (preferably wireless) camera, wireless doorbell all with the ability to record to a local hard drive and duplicated at an alternate location. Outdoor siren would be an added bonus.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/archkee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment