• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 19, 2021

    Home Improvement: [OPEN DISCUSSION] Weekly thread

    Home Improvement: [OPEN DISCUSSION] Weekly thread


    [OPEN DISCUSSION] Weekly thread

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 09:59 PM PST

    Welcome to the (roughly weekly) Open Discussion thread.

     

    We do this for a few reasons. We know some folks are hesitant to create a new post for a small question they may have. Well, this is the place to ask, and discuss. At the same time, with a growing community we find ourselves having to limit the posts that may be off-topic to the primary purpose of the sub (home improvement questions and project-sharing posts). These topics include home warranty companies, general painting advice, room layouts, or rants about companies, contractors, and previous owners. While these may be of interest, we are trying hard to provide a venue that will both allow, and constrain, the conversation. Thus, this thread. Thank you for participating.

     

    Just a reminder to stay away from any personal or disrespectful commentary. From the sidebar:

    Comments must be on-topic, helpful, and kind. Name-calling, abusive, or hateful language is not tolerated, nor are disrespectful, personal comments. No question is too stupid, too simple, or too basic. We're all here to learn and help each other out - enjoy!

    If you haven't already, please review the sub guidelines.

     

    Have fun and stay safe folks!

    submitted by /u/dapeche
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone track their routine home maintenance projects in a spreadsheet they would be willing to share?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:48 AM PST

    As a new homeowner and total spreadsheet nerd, I'm looking to set up something to track all of the monthly, seasonal, etc. maintenance tasks around the house. Was curious to see if anyone on here had done something similar they would like to share as a template? If not, I'll definitely share what I come up with for others!

    submitted by /u/_apresmoiledeluge
    [link] [comments]

    First time doing flooring. ~1000 sq ft. of LVP. Thanks to you guys for answering my questions along the way!

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 06:08 AM PST

    Decided last year to rip out all the carpet and lay LVP on the entire first floor of my home. I had a few questions along the way and you guys helped me out so I thought I'd share some pics of the project. I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone is considering doing a project like this!

    https://imgur.com/a/9yeQH8c

    Some details:

    I decided on LVP because it seemed the most durable for pets and the fact that it's 100% waterproof. It also is one of the cheaper options. From all of my research, I ended up with Smartcore from Lowe's. It's made by Coretec which seems to be a major player in the game. I also liked that it has a thicker wear layer than some of the alternatives. I purchased 54 boxes which came in around $2800. I ended up with just a little bit of extra.

    After ripping out the carpet and padding, I needed to bring up the floors in the carpeted areas to meet the height of the linoleum areas. For this I used 5mm plywood underlayment. Easy enough to work with, but required many many staples. I borrowed a coworker's pancake compressor and staple gun for this part of the project. The underlayment was stapled every 2inches on the edges and every 4inches in the field.

    From there the next step was to undercut all doorway jambs to allow the LVP to slip under. I've seen many people use those contour gauges to scribe around door jamb molding and it always looks terrible. The right way is to undercut the jamb and slide the flooring underneath. This was time consuming, VERY loud, and a pain in the ass. Worth it. I bought a Dewalt oscillating tool for this portion of the project. I have since used this tool for many other things around the house. I don't know how I went all this time without one of these multitools. Great purchase.

    The LVP is marketed as easy to cut with a utility knife. Let me tell you that if you're doing more than a closet, you'll want to get a LVP/laminate plank cutter. It was single handedly the most important tool for this project. I went with THIS one from amazon. I still needed to score and snap the long edges when I got to a wall. That was probably my least favorite part about the project.

    When it comes to plank flooring, I hate the look of repeating patterns so I made sure to lay them as random as possible. I see far too many floor projects where people lay the floor in a brick pattern and it looks cheap.

    Since I hate the look of quarter round, I decided to rip out all of the baseboards and start fresh. The box stores sell contractor packs for pretty cheap. I pre-painted them with Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane in satin. These got tacked up with 18ga brad nails using a Ryobi Airstrike nailer which I purchased specifically for this project.

    When installing baseboard, I highly recommend learning how to cope inside corners. You'll never get a perfect joint when you miter, so take the time and learn how to properly cope. Instead of a coping saw, I used my miter saw along with a dremel for each cut. After cutting out most of the profile using a miter saw, I grab my Dremel tool with a 1/2in sanding drum and 'carve' out the rest. Much quicker than using a coping saw and file. This part of the project is very satisfying. Especially when everything works out and you have a real tight inside corner. Message me if you want more details on how-to cope with a miter saw. Outside corners get mitered. I finished the baseboard top edge and joints with Big Stretch caulk which will hopefully last 10+ years without cracking. I hate shitty caulk jobs. I used Plastic Wood filler in white for the nail holes. Used a putty knife to apply then after it set for a little, went back over the nail holes with a damp cloth to wipe off the excess around the holes. I used white so I won't have to touch up the holes with paint.

    I tried my best to not cut corners and use the correct install methods for the whole project and it paid off. With that said, I learned a lot, saved thousands, and will never do this job myself again. Thanks for reading!

    Not pictured: 2 sets of kneepads worn thin. Bruised knees. Swollen fingers from missing my target with the mallet. Heating pad for stiff back. Swear jar full of quarters.

    submitted by /u/freshme4t
    [link] [comments]

    First house, yay! Trouble installing new stove, boo!

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 08:32 PM PST

    Hi y'all!

    I am trying to install a gas range in my kitchen but am having trouble.

    I bought a new hookup kit from Home Depot and have all the right fittings. All of the male fittings have gas teflon tape on them and I've leak tested them extensively to confirm I don't see any bubbles.

    However, when I put my nose close to the regulator I get a faint smell of gas. My wife smells it too.

    A few thoughts/questions I had.

    1. Could this be due to the unit not being connected to 120v in so the gas is running but the pilot light hasn't been ignited? (Owners Manual doesn't mention a pilot light...)
    2. Is a leak detector like this going to be able to pinpoint my issue?
    3. Could it be a faulty regulator from the factory?
    4. Should I pussy out and just call someone to install it for me?
    submitted by /u/UsingMuse123
    [link] [comments]

    Previous owners wallpapered over unfinished drywall. Can we save the drywall?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 02:05 PM PST

    Recently, we learned that the previous owners of our house wallpapered over unfinished drywall in the living room. Then they painted over the wallpaper. The house is 40 years old, so it's the heavy kind of glue. We've found it possible to get all the paper off without damaging the drywall too much, but the glue is another matter entirely. Any time we take a sponge to the wall to get the glue off, the drywall paper comes up, too.

    From what I've seen so far, it looks like our only options are to never have started the project (too late for that), ignore the glue and re-wallpaper over the mess, or to replace the drywall.

    Is there any other way to deal with this without hurting the drywall? Can we sand the glue down or something?

    submitted by /u/CanIHaveASong
    [link] [comments]

    How do you properly adjust these doorknobs?!

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:03 PM PST

    Ok, just moved into a glorious 1940's cape cod with these door handles on every interior door. I recently took one apart and learned nothing about how to adjust them so they turn freely, but not like they're falling off.

    Most of them are on either extreme of impossible to turn or falls off when you look at it funny.

    Also, it seems like lots of the glass knob parts are loose. Can I try to get super glue in there?

    They have a set screw on the knob itself, and they thread onto the post that sits in the latch mechanism. Simple enough, but is there a trick to adjusting these damn things?!

    submitted by /u/eric33190
    [link] [comments]

    Sewer issues months after sewer line was replaced

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 09:52 PM PST

    I recently bought a home and just a couple of months before then, the sellers had done a sewer scope that revealed a sewer line break.

    They addressed the break which included excavating to damaged sections, replacing with PVC pipes, installing exterior cleanout with riser to grade, etc. I'm copying a lot of this from the invoice.

    It was a pretty major amount of work which entailed repairing to the mainline connection. When we were touring, half of the street in front of the house as well as the sidewalk was blocked off because the street had just been restored post-repairs.

    Anyway, fast forward to now. It's been about 5 months since the work. The drain just outside of our home started spewing sewage...

    There's a warranty on the work that was done. They stopped by and said it appears to be roots. And that while it isn't part of the warranty, they will send someone to address it.

    Let me be honest here and say I don't understand much about sewer systems and I've been reading up a little bit but still feel uninformed so please bear with me.

    1) I had assumed that a new sewer line meant that all the pipes and fittings were updated (to PVC) or is that not usually the case?

    2) If it's a yes for 1, do roots really grow that fast? I don't imagine dealing with roots is something that has to come up couple of times a year...

    3) Anything else I should know in either ensuring the work is done correctly or anything else I should know for maintenance?

    submitted by /u/ellie_wankenobi
    [link] [comments]

    Water Softener, home automation device, suggested features

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:57 PM PST

    I am working on a home automation project to monitor the level of softener salt in my (and others) water softener. What sort of features would people be interested in seeing in this sort of solution.

    Right now, you install the device to the lid of your water softener, and then connect the device to your home wifi with your phone. You can then go back to the website for the device and see the fill level wherever you are and you can also turn on email notifications to prompt you when you are running low.

    You can see the project progress at saltmonitor.com

    submitted by /u/watertechjason
    [link] [comments]

    My Contractor keeps missing deadlines. I’m looking at options.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 03:39 PM PST

    I had a fire in April of last year and hired a general contractor for the full scope laid out by my adjuster. Looking back I made a remarkable error by not having milestones with penalties established. I did a good deal of research but surprisingly I didn't get that piece of advice. The estimated completion date was mid November and every day my little remaining patience is evaporating. I would think the 100% completion payment would be strong enough incentive to push things along but there are clearly other piories for the company I hired.

    In Louisiana we've had several hurricanes this year and contractors have flooded to those areas picking up work. I understand completely but I name this as the primary reason my project isn't done. The company I hired has mentioned all of the additional work to me and but committed that it wouldn't impede my project. We've missed 70% of deadlines from every single item. The last being trim is weeks behind what the original date was. The company isn't meeting my expectations and the pm is clearly trying to pacify me but moving things along as it works best for the company.

    I'm am also a pm for a large company, though not in construction. I see the signs and I find arguing does little good without power to enforce. I would like to see if anyone would care to share advice or experience with terminating a contract in progress. I feel bringing it to the table will result in ether a faster speed of completion or they accept, which brings on me finishing it after reconciliation. I'm very frustrated and even if it means more work, if I can move some of this pain to them then at least there is a small sense of justice.

    submitted by /u/SpankyJ_17
    [link] [comments]

    Drain clog - help me trouble shoot

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:17 PM PST

    We are having a slow drain from the sink/dishwasher. We've had a plumber come in and do a 25 foot using a snake, paid $450, then had him come back the following week, do a $200 60 foot snake. Issue persists. Obviously we are going to have a different plumber over the next time, but want to be knowledgeable about what could possibly be going on and what the remedies are before we shell out more.

    submitted by /u/miss-muffet-ca
    [link] [comments]

    How to clean bathroom exhaust duct?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 02:38 PM PST

    Hi all.

    I was reading on the wiki about the importance of cleaning your bathroom exhaust fan, which I am in the process of doing now. It is a hideous mess, completely caked with junk. It's been making a super loud humming when it's on lately which I had been ignoring until I read about it being a potential fire hazard.

    I'm pretty sure that the exhaust duct is probably filled with junk as well. Is there any way I can go about cleaning it out DIY? It's on the top floor of the house and I don't have attic access to it, and the external side isn't easily accessible either. Thinking I could either try to suck it out with the shop vac, blow it out with the shop vac, or maybe try to fish one of those dryer vent brushes through it, but really not sure on the best approach.

    Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/inequity
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment Living: Is there ANY way to cut down noise and vibrations from neighbors?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 02:37 PM PST

    The noise in the space I am in is torturously unrelenting. I can hear every footstep and word of the neighbors, They own a dog that runs back and forth pounding its feet on the floor, there is constant construction outside and the it's of a busy street with nightly garbage trucks, sirens and buses! The neighbors' mere footsteps sound like I'm in the inside of drum, let alone the voices, television and music.

    I am stuck in the lease for almost another year and cannot sublet without permission.

    Are there ANY tips, products, or experiences on at least:

    • Reducing the vibrations from neighbors above's footsteps and voices
    • Reducing noise from outside without reducing the light?

    I'm mostly interested in hearing from anyone who has had any experience or success in this? Please.

    submitted by /u/blackhairjones
    [link] [comments]

    Building an a dedicated office, need to soundproof new wall.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 09:48 PM PST

    I am cutting a room in half to make an office. The office entry will be an exterior door. The room sits on 1" foam insulation, 2x6 joists, 5/8ths floor sheeting.

    My question is about the new wall I am building, I am going to do 2 layers of 5/8th sheet rock, with green glue acoustic compound between the layers, in both sides of the wall. The studs are 2x6 with R13 insulation.

    Ideally the walls are decoupled to eliminate sound travel through the studs, so I brainstormed this idea with a friend (see the diagram) it's somewhat decoupled in the wall expect the ends and top and bottom plate.

    Is this worth doing or would the rain be marginal?

    https://imgur.com/a/hKti2fJ

    submitted by /u/lolspung3
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a standard drywall repair job?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 08:23 PM PST

    I am buying a house and there was some water damage and mold around the washing machine connections in the laundry room. We put into the purchase and sale contract that the seller would be required to remediate the mold, fix the leak, and repair the drywall. We had the final walkthrough tonight and are supposed to close tomorrow, but I am not feeling satisfied by the repair job.

    Here is a link to a picture of the repair.

    https://i.imgur.com/zu9ReCz.jpg

    Am I being overly picky about the quality of the repair? The contractor says the mold is gone now except for that small surface mildew on the left side that can be wiped off. I'd appreciate any advice you guys have!

    submitted by /u/shnackshack31
    [link] [comments]

    Oven Door Latch - WP4451424

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 06:08 PM PST

    Recommendation for Ductless mini split Air Conditioner

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:47 PM PST

    Looking for the best Ductless Mini Split Air.

    submitted by /u/terrys8128
    [link] [comments]

    Holes in my floor

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:45 PM PST

    Why do you think my 70 year-old house has these holes in the floor? We've found six scattered around our three bedroom, single story (full slab basement) house. We had the worst chimney effect I'd ever seen when we moved in and I've been filling gaps and cracks all winter.

    submitted by /u/GorillaKhan
    [link] [comments]

    Modernize Gas Fireplace Insert

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:56 PM PST

    Hi there. Our home was built in the early 2000s and the gold trimmed gas fireplace insert (pic below) is looking pretty dated. Are the two gold sections on the top and bottom replaceable, or do I need to pay for a whole new insert? The unit is a vented gas Heat n Glo. I've been searching online but not running into any straight answers.

    https://imgur.com/a/cqUCP7b

    submitted by /u/WiBorg
    [link] [comments]

    How would you build a door at the bottom of this staircase?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 02:37 PM PST

    https://i.imgur.com/XxfzQ3F.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/cEGvjCq.jpg

    Got a baby on the way and want to turn the downstairs of our split-level into a guestroom (since the current guestroom is turning into a nursery). I was initially thinking of a sliding barn door but not sure how I would mount it or block the gaps on the side due to the short wall running around the perimeter of the room. Ideally the door would block both sight and (some) sound. Any ideas? Frame the whole thing in and put a traditional hinged door in? Hatch style that pulls down from the ceiling and makes a cool hissing sound?

    submitted by /u/chalsp
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen countertop and backsplash

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:28 PM PST

    Help! I want to replace the counters and backsplash in our kitchen but have no idea where to start. My questions are these:

    Is there someplace to go to have them both done by the same people?

    Is there an order we have to do it in or does it matter?

    submitted by /u/lizzycase
    [link] [comments]

    Cutting trim and quarter round

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:20 PM PST

    I am probably just an idiot but I am rennovating my bathroom and am in the process of my first time installing quarter round but I keep cutting the ends the wrong way fornthe corners. Any advice on knowing the correct angle to cut it every time? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/grabbagreenhornet
    [link] [comments]

    Please, please, tell me how to hang these shelves.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:18 PM PST

    I believe I have lath and plaster walls. The building I live in in ~100 years old. I have two shelves I'd like to hang. They're pretty lightweight, but I want them to be able to hold 40-50 pounds. I cannot, for the life of me, find the studs. I've tried a stud finder, magnets, the tiny holes near the baseboard, and knocking. Nothing. Can anyone lead me in the direction of what to use to hang these shelves? I don't want to put any extra holes in the wall that don't need to be there!

    TYIA, I'm going insane.

    submitted by /u/kcslp_j
    [link] [comments]

    smaller exhaust pipe restricting dryer?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:07 PM PST

    So moved to a new place and dryer seems less effective. Works, but seems to take longer and clothes are not as thoroughly dry. Same dryer, same settings, but instesd of dryer venting to usual sized vent at former house, it vents to this pipe, which runs through exterior wall. The pipe is only about ten inches long, and is probably only an inch or so smaller around than the dryer duct, but because it pinches the airflow, I'm wondering if this might cause the dryer to be drying less effectively. Sould I widen the hole and extend dryer duct through exterior wall?Dryer Vent

    submitted by /u/updike5678
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix this leaky faucet?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 04:42 PM PST

    Bought my house and finally moved I a few days ago, just today they finally turned the water on. But I saw once I turn the tub on and off it will leak like this non stop. I have two bathrooms with two tubs. Both have the issue independent of each other.

    Every one in awhile itll go from a drip to maybe a half oz will just pour out all at once.

    Any idea what's wrong and how I can fix it? Is it a $1000 plumber job or can anyone do it? All help is appreciated thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Fortheloveofcinema
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment