• Breaking News

    Monday, March 9, 2020

    Home Improvement: Today in "WTF were they thinking?"...

    Home Improvement: Today in "WTF were they thinking?"...


    Today in "WTF were they thinking?"...

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I was poking around in the basement this weekend, specifically looking at the drain for the washer. It pops when hot water goes down, trying to remedy. I pull the insulation around from where this comes through the first floor sub floor into the basement. I notice there are actually 2 PVC drain pipes and one was cut off. Weird. Maybe a remnant of construction? I look up the chase and, no, that pipe goes all the way up parallel to the washer drain. Weird. Not either of the bathrooms. Oh, wait, maybe it is the floor drain from the laundry area. I dump some water down, yup, water dump from the ceiling. Basically right over top of the HVAC.

    Why the hell would you ever cut that pipe off? How dumb. I am guessing that pipe used to go to the floor and over to the floor drain (about 2 feet away). Only thing I can guess is that it was in the way when they replaced the HVAC and confirmed it wasn't the washer drain and cut it. And never replaced it? I am glad we never had a major leak in the laundry or it probably would have flooded the HVAC and the refrigerator under it.

    Am I missing something? What is the best way to fix this?

    submitted by /u/DrPeterVenkman_
    [link] [comments]

    My 6 Month Shed Build

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:50 PM PDT

    Hey /r/HomeImprovement,

    I just completed a shed project that I started on fall break here in Tennessee. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I started from this plan, but ended up doing quite a bit of modifications like:

    • Using OSB/Vapor Barrier/Hardie paneling instead of T1-11 siding
    • Windows for light
    • Using 1x6 pressure treated decking for the roof instead of plywood.
    • Overhang/soffit on front and rear
    • Loft storage
    • Architectural shingles and ridge vent to match the roof we had installed on the house last year
    • Carriage bolts through all hinges and lock for security

    Anyway, I'm pretty proud and definitely glad to be done with construction. Leaving paint until after the spring pollen comes and goes.

    https://imgur.com/a/fedz2gq

    submitted by /u/2001em2
    [link] [comments]

    Shower Reno with step by step pictures

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:24 AM PDT

    pictures here: http://imgur.com/gallery/8zjXjyc

    My last post was removed so I'll try to follow the rules this time and make this more detailed.

    I took a lot of advice from there and from Home Renovision DYI on YouTube.

    Most of the step by step information is in the link but I'll say the over cost was about $1400 just in materials and I didn't even move any of the plumbing.

    It took about 2 month from start to finish just because I've never done any of these steps before.

    I think the biggest thing I'll remember next time is to MAKE SURE you install studs behind where you know your shower door will attach to the wall. I had studs one the left side and it felt so much better sinking a 3" deck screw into the wall than screwing into a plastic plug. Also just go extremely so when starting tiling. Even though I had thought about this multiple times, I still ended up putting 2 identical tiles side by side on the bottom...

    Hope this helps anyone who's on the fence about trying this themselves.

    submitted by /u/Sneaky_Emu_
    [link] [comments]

    Used some rubber mats to make a "new" porch floor

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Our back porch is also the roof to our attached garage. Because it's a flat roof, the surface of it was granulated, rolled roofing. Our kid likes to play out there and we have a table and chair set we want to put there as well. Our best solution was to get some 4'X6' rubber mats and fit them around the railings and support post.

    "New" rubber porch floor

    submitted by /u/titus2423
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for cheapest carpet money can buy for basement.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    Only going to live here for about 9 more months. Concrete is not even, I'm not going to apply glue. Going to throw it out when I move.

    Cheap quick and dirty is what I'm going for. Don't care if the carpet is in horrible condition in 9 months. It can be 1mm thick and horrible colors.

    Basement is used for storage and laundry.

    submitted by /u/AzurePlusEverything
    [link] [comments]

    Can faux boulder be used in retaining wall on a slope?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    UNderlayment over a moisture /vapor barrier

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    I'll be installing bamboo floating floor over OSB subfloor, over a moisture barrier, over concrete. Most of the decent underlayments (used to isolate the bamboo from the OSB to avoid clickety clackety when walking on the bamboo) also include a vapor/moisture barrier. I'm concerned about trapping moisture between the moisture barrier (6 mil poly) separating the concrete and OSB and any underlayment with vapor barrier on top of the OSB that will eventually allow mold, mildew and the OSB to rot. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/jmd_forest
    [link] [comments]

    Drywall job from hell. All joints are mesh with only joint compound.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    Is this crack an issue?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ynHoh4s

    Above is a link to a crack I recently discovered on my home. I have lived in the house less than a year and I don't see this mentioned in the inspection report, but honestly I can't remember seeing it before today so I'm not sure how old it is. It seems too large to me to form in under a year, but I'm no expert.

    My question would be is this crack an issue that needs addressed or is it simply settling of the house? And if there is something I can do to help, what should I do?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thezacksq
    [link] [comments]

    Water Heater Replacement & Rebates - so confused!

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    I live in Seattle WA and our water heater is leaking at the bottom (it's not any of the valves - it's the rim at the very bottom). With research, it seems very unlikely that it's repairable so we're looking at new water heaters.

    We're looking at this water heater: https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Signature-Premier-50-Gallon-Tall-10-year-Limited-4500-Watt-Double-Element-Electric-Water-Heater-with-Hybrid-Heat-Pump/1000213655

    The reason we're looking at it is because of the potential $800 in rebates for an energy efficient machine. While the [City of Seattle rebate](https://energysolutions.seattle.gov/your-home/rebates/)

    is fairly straightforward, the

    [federal rebate](https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits/non_business_energy_property_tax_credits)

    is confusing me.

    So I guess all that text leads me to my questions;

    1. Anyone know of any way to repair a water heater where the seal is broken?
    2. Is AO Smith a good brand water heater?
    3. Can anyone explain the federal tax credit in plain English? My wife and I used the standard $24,400 deductible last year and expect to do so again next year (no itemized deductions on our taxes)

    We definitely saw this post earlier, and are hoping to be able to do our own replacement like him/her!

    https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/bbozpe/my_experience_installing_a_heat_pump_water_heater/

    Thanks in advance for your help! :)

    submitted by /u/Pm_Me_Your_Qx_Rate
    [link] [comments]

    Question about exterior house soffit/fascia colors

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm undertaking a project of painting my exterior house. I'm pretty versed on the prepping portion of this project as I've researched a good amount.

    My question is the color scheme. Are soffits usually the same color as the trims/fascia? Or the same color as the body of the house? I haven't been able to find much info and the ones I did find are inconsistent.

    I've included a picture color coding the different parts of the front exterior house. If you have any advice on which portions are usually the same color, I'd appreciate it.

    This is south Florida

    https://imgur.com/a/Xm7a0Am

    submitted by /u/Im_a_male_nurse
    [link] [comments]

    Help me get out of a Catch-22 situation I'm stuck in with Empire Today carpeting.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    My wife and I purchased our home in 2013. It was built by a local builder in 2012.

    We are prepping to sell, and there's a small patch of carpet that's been tore up from our cat clawing at a bedroom door. We had an Empire Today guy come by to discuss hardwood installation, and he pointed out that the carpet we had installed was a unique design that only they sold. We ended up not buying the hardwood due to the price.

    Today I contacted Empire Today to inquire about purchasing a small 4"x4" section of carpeting to replace the damaged section in our house. The conversation went as follows:

    Me: "Hi, I'd like to purchase a small section of carpeting that matches a design sold by your company."

    Rep: "Do you have a ticket number for the installation? We don't really sell individual sections of carpet and only do wall-to-wall."

    Me: "No, I don't. The carpet was installed by a builder. One of your reps identified it as a your brand."

    Rep: "Sir, I need a ticket number. And the warranty extends only to the family that installs the carpet. So if you sold the house it wouldn't extend to the person who bought it."

    Me: "I'm not trying to get it fixed via warranty. I just want to purchase a small section of the carpet. Is there a way I can get in touch with the local office?"

    Rep: "Not without a ticket number. I still need a ticket number."

    Me: "But I am getting the sense that even with a ticket number, that would be the ticket number for the builder who purchased the Empire Today carpeting. And you are telling me that doesn't transfer, so I would not be able to get service even if I had the ticket number, correct?"

    Rep: "Yes."

    After that I hung up. It's like I'm caught in a bureaucratic loop. I literally want to give them my money and they won't connect me to anyone without a ticket number. I even went online and I'm pretty sure I know what the design is. I just want to purchase it.

    What should I do? Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find a number for a local office anywhere. I live in the Raleigh, NC area.

    submitted by /u/liamemsa
    [link] [comments]

    Need some ideas to improve my fireplace

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    I unfortunately have an off centered fireplace in my house with this tile that I am not a fan of. Anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this? I plan to do this myself.

    my fireplace

    submitted by /u/achulett91
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Fan/Light Install Help!!! 14/2 wires from power source then to light switch with travelers to second switch.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    Just moved into a house built in the late 80's, dining room had gigantic gaudy looking chandelier that was controlled by two separate light switches on the opposite sides of the room. Removed the chandelier to replace it with a ceiling fan light combo (basic wire setup, one black, one blue, one white, and a ground wire). In the ceiling are two separate 14/2 wires, both have black, white and ground wires. The primary wall switch box has a 14/2 as well and a 14/3 (red, black, & white wire with ground) that travels to the light switch on the opposite wall. I can switch either the fan black or blue wire to the main power source line and that determines which part of the fan/light comes on, can't get both to come on at the same time when one is tied to main source and the other is tied to the light switch. Even tried tying the fans black and blue wire to both hot wires in the ceiling, that worked for a second but the switches still did nothing then tripped the breaker. Short of pulling wire from the wall and replacing it any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/did-i-do-this-right
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC duct sealing

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    A mouse got into my HVAC duct and died leading to a terrible stench in my kids room. I took apart a couple piece of ducts in the basement and was able to get it out. Now I want to minimize chances of anything getting back in when I put it back together.

    Mostly I see mastic recommended. What do you do if you ever need to get something out of the ducts when you seal it like that? Or is the expectation the whole system is completely sealed.

    Pic of what I'm dealing with, it is a tricky spot. Previous owner used insulation but didn't do the trick.

    duct

    submitted by /u/NOPNOFNOG12
    [link] [comments]

    Need advise on these rough-ins in the basement.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So, I have these rough-ins in the basement from builder, I think white 4" one is for toilet flange, but I'm not sure about the purpose of "black" 4" outlet. Do you guys know what that could be for ? Thanks much.

    https://imgur.com/a/oS6lwiq

    submitted by /u/tech_j
    [link] [comments]

    In need of new tank water heater

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    submitted by /u/Hon3y_Badger
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some advice about my garage door opener situation

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:07 PM PDT

    Background: Wife and I's first house; bought in 2018, built in 1972. Split level home, attached 2 car garage, and bedrooms are all above the garage. Located in Central Ohio.

    So here's the situation: the automatic garage door opener is encased in the roof of the garage. It doesn't really need replaced at the moment but it has worried me ever since we bought the house. If it ever does need replaced, how am I supposed to get it out of the ceiling piece that it is encased in? The garage door mechanism is very noisy and with my wife and I expecting our first child this year, I've thought about replacing the unit with a newer, quieter one.

    The big question I have is how to access the unit in the first place. Do I just get a saw and cut away the drywall (or whatever it is, I'm not sure)? Also, there is a natural gas line that is routed directly in front of the unit.

    Pictures

    Has anyone encountered something like this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Speedrcer05
    [link] [comments]

    1% asbestos in the basement tile in our home, do we need to have it professionally removed?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    Testing company found 1% chrysotile in our sample. According to him, the EPA says anything over 1% is hazardous but still recommends we have it professionally removed. Should we hire a professional for removal?

    submitted by /u/SalamiSandwiched
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen faucet water pressure help

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Hi all - Looking to gauge how serious/complicated of an issue this is. The kitchen faucet runs normally with a normal water flow when the handle is turned to the left/hot water side, but as soon as you rotate the handle to the right/cold side, the pressure drops to a very weak stream. It's not slightly different than the hot water, but rather it's extremely noticeable. To the best of my knowledge there is no piping underneath that's crimped or blocked. Is this a large issue that I should call a plumber over or something simpler I can teach myself to fix? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bcs007
    [link] [comments]

    Central AC Vs. Ductless AC

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Hi all, the house we are buying does not have Air conditioning. I am trying to determine if I should get a central AC vs. multiple Ductless units. I presume with ductless I can only run the units that we need and is therefore more energy efficient. However, the ductless are kind of eyesore. I believe there are also concealed ductless units. I wanted to check your experiences with ductless units and if you have any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/ChasingBetterMe
    [link] [comments]

    Crack Between Wall and Door Frame

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am preparing to paint my office and realized I needed to do some skim coat repairs to the walls. I removed the door and found this big crack between the door frame and the wall. There was loose crumbling plaster in the crevice that I removed.

    What is the best way to fix this? I'm a beginner and am completely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Also, when I rehang the door, should I fill in the big hole on the left that was cut out of the wall? I understand the cut into the door frame is for the door hinge, but not sure what the other hole is for.

    Photos for reference: https://imgur.com/a/DDoVueM

    House is a 1920ish craftsman in central Indiana and this room is on the second level of the house.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/cornfromindiana
    [link] [comments]

    Typical cost of installing a heat pump hot water heater

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    So I just got a quote to install this model of a heat pump hot water heater: https://www.supplyhouse.com/AO-Smith-HPTU-80N-80-Gallon-Voltex-Residential-Hybrid-Electric-Heat-Pump-Water-Heater?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0pfzBRCOARIsANi0g0tlIlfghgCBA6x5E-QAAFv_hdqOJ6S9iAKv9aLFnxhDfH9700kK3v4aAuLhEALw_wcB

    To install the water heater, along with disposal of the old unit, installation of an expansion tank, drain line to sump pump, leak pan, copper connections etc, the cost came to a little over $5000. This seems like a very high number to me, but then again the heat pump water heater is about $1800 - $1900, so thats 2 - 3K for the other installs and overhead etc.

    I plan on asking other companies for quotes but just wanted to get a sense of what people have experienced with installing a heat pump water heater.

    Also, I plan on asking for this Rheem model, not the A O State, so maybe that might add a little to the cost: https://www.rheem.com/product/professional-prestige-hybrid-electric-80-gallon-electric-econet-enabled-hybrid-electric-water-heater-with-10-year-limited-warranty-proph80-t2-rh350-d/

    submitted by /u/Risley
    [link] [comments]

    Range Hood Exhaust noisy during wind

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:33 PM PDT

    I'm in urban Midwest US. Whenever it is windy outside and I'm not using it, my range hood makes a loud clatter. It sounds like a door slamming shut, over and over, coming directly from the hood. Turning the vent on quiets it.

    My builder tried putting some rubber on the exterior vent to dampen the banging force, but it didn't help much.

    Are there any better exhaust styles I could replace it with?

    Pictures of inside, outside, and outside with fan running: https://imgur.com/a/OHOFmCt

    Edit: any solution would ideally go on that exterior wall. The roof is about 12 feet higher (30 feet off the ground), and it's a flat roof that'd require a pro.

    submitted by /u/newhomeowner9
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment