• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 19, 2021

    Home security: Asian homeowners are being targeted in my area. How can I be prepared?

    Home security: Asian homeowners are being targeted in my area. How can I be prepared?


    Asian homeowners are being targeted in my area. How can I be prepared?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 10:32 AM PST

    I know of two families who were targeted in my neighborhood because of their ethnicity. The police and insurance adjuster said that a majority of these homes were targeted because they tend to have expensive jewelry and cash in their homes. No electronics were taken. A quick google search confirmed the same.

    I don't keep valuables in my house, so I don't care about theft. I just dont want to be targeted and have the emotional burden placed on my family.

    The victims had their phone and cable lines cut while they weren't home, disabling video recording and security. One home owner was able to see them showing up with tools, was very determined to break in through the back door, and did some serious property damage.

    I have cameras on order, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for someone determined to get in and leave within 10 mins. I have Simplisafe which I believe has a cellular backup. I haven't tested it to confirm that it works.

    I have a small fire proof safe and a gun cabinet in my bedroom closet. Both are not bolted to the floor. The small safe has ammo and weighs about 150lbs. I hoping that they will just take it and leave. The gun cabinet is a cheap Stack-on. I'm considering moving my guns to my responsible neighbor, who is also a gun owner, until I can purchase a more robust gun safe/residential security container and possibly moving it out of the bedroom closet to a less suspectable room. I familiar that most safes are worthless until you get to TL-15 rated ones.

    I've also randomized my smart lights during the evening, and leave the tv on.

    What else can you do when you know you are a target? And know that you are being watched?

    I am so certain that it will happen, that I've considered putting a sign on my backdoor stating that I there's no cash or jewelry in the house. Is that a ridiculous idea?

    submitted by /u/throwawayramenbowl
    [link] [comments]

    IP Camera System with local / NVR storage

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 09:31 AM PST

    Looking for a higher quality solution with IP / PoE cameras and some kind of local NVR client and storage software.

    6-8 cameras range - mostly outdoors. I can wire for PoE if needed (don't want to change batteries etc). And hardwire I think removes hassles of wifi.

    Have a pretty beefy machine already (48GB ram) that I run 24x7 that I could use as a storage service (plenty of space for more drives). Looking for rolling 14 day storage at high to very high quality.

    Cameras and client / storage software from one company or separate are fine.

    Recommendations welcome.

    submitted by /u/keepitreasonable
    [link] [comments]

    Will we ever see a Surveillance Camera with a 1" image sensor?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 03:41 PM PST

    Larger image sensor = better light sensitivity = less ISO noise

    submitted by /u/Plastic_Strength_248
    [link] [comments]

    Indoor camera with night vision no visible infrared light light wyze pan cam.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 05:43 AM PST

    HI,

    I am looking to get an indoor camera with night vision but do not want the infra-red light to show.

    I have set a camera in the kids' room but the infrared light scares the little one at night. :-)

    I have tried a few but currently wyze pan cam is the only one in which the infrared light is not visible. However Wyze pan cam with rtsp works very poorely with my home setup for cameras.

    The regular wyze cam v2 has the infrared light visible as well.

    Any suggestions, please ?

    submitted by /u/aalupatti
    [link] [comments]

    I'm thinking switching from adt to simply safe, is it reliable?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 06:54 PM PST

    Should i leave ADT for newer stuff?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 01:21 PM PST

    Hey guys, I'm with ADT for 5 years now.

    They have their equipment installed in the house but my last 2 year contract is ending in 5 days. Just called they said 35$ a month if i lock 2 years. They are not replacing my old main module with their new touch screen, and i dont have cameras included in this. Just basic door and window censors. I feel like i should be having a doorbell cam or at least an indoor cam but they said they won't include it in this price. (I already paid the equipment in full 5 years ago) so this monthly cost is just for monitoring.

    I have been looking at ring and other systems.

    The main thing with ADT was when i'm away i turn off my internet and ADT doesn't need it. I'm afraid if I go with ring/google stuff i will have to keep internet on and if electricity is gone i'll be in trouble.

    Any suggestions? Anyone was in the same boat?

    Thanks

    (LA Area)

    submitted by /u/SpyCracker
    [link] [comments]

    Powerline adapter or WiFi router for connecting CCTV DVR?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 07:08 AM PST

    I know that to hook up my security system's DVR to my home internet is necessary for remote viewing, but what is the easiest of the two?

    Pro's and con's?

    What information is needed and how easy is it to get? I am a novice.

    There has been some theft in the area the last few days so I would like to get access to remote viewing as soon as possible.

    My only shopping centers to get either one of these are Walmart and Best Buy. And the price between a powerline adapter and a WiFi router is pretty significant.

    submitted by /u/rouxinajar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment