• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 19, 2021

    Home security: People keep messing with my car; need a discreet camera

    Home security: People keep messing with my car; need a discreet camera


    People keep messing with my car; need a discreet camera

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 11:41 PM PST

    Title. Last year, someone stole my license plate, and I'm pretty sure someone got into my car and stole my purse as well as some other documents (luckily nothing important beyond sentimental value was in my purse, but if I'm correct, I got a ticket because of the documents). I really don't trust my neighbors, and many people come and go.

    Because of this, I'd like to get a camera, but I'm not sure what to get. I'd get a doorbell one, but that'd be obvious and probably be stolen really quick if I'm right. So I was hoping for something discreet that I can easily hide, whether inside or out, though inside I'd have to figure a way to hide it in the window.

    Sadly I don't have much to spend on it, I can make stuff work.

    Please, I really need some recommendations for this.

    submitted by /u/Vykyrie
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a home without ever meeting previous homeowners

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 09:28 AM PST

    TLDR; had to purchase a home online due to being overseas. Never got to meet the previous owners before moving in. Just found this in my closet and I want to know more.

    https://ibb.co/qmKSkN1

    I moved into this house back in August and don't have any way to contact the previous homeowners. I've been super busy so didn't have a chance to inspect all of the house but as I'm getting settled I'm starting to look closer. I just found this box of wires and the model number "PC1616" stamped inside. I don't have a keypad anywhere in the house that I'm aware of so I'm not sure what this could be connected to. If anyone can help me by describing what else I should be looking for around the house or if I can use this for anything I would be very grateful. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/traconi
    [link] [comments]

    How to identify the type/brand of wall mtd PIR sensor (and how can I post pix here) ?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 09:11 PM PST

    We'd like to try to and use the existing PIR unit that's already in our home when we moved here (& the generic looking front door magnet sensor, too).

    Thanks for suggestions on how to identify these units.

    https://imgur.com/FOGFY4O

    https://imgur.com/undefined

    submitted by /u/eyeseeitallnow
    [link] [comments]

    Inside cameras

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 06:33 PM PST

    Hello. I'm concerned about dinner things that happen in my home when I'm not around. I don't have much disposable income at the moment. I have a computer with 500gb I can dedicate to the cause. I'm not exactly sure how, but I would like to set up one camera on each floor. I would be these cameras to record to my PC directly. I would like to be able to control and moniter remotely. I also want audio. I do not want them to be overt. I would like them to be battery power capable. If completely covert and stationary, the ability to move camera field of vision would be a bonus. Would anyone be able to suggest reasonably priced cameras that fit these criteria and perhaps program/methods for recording/controlling? Thank you for any advice you could provide

    submitted by /u/I-shipped-my-pants
    [link] [comments]

    Gate Alert/Alarm - Please Help!

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 05:17 PM PST

    Hello everyone! I am new here and I'm hoping to get some advice.

    I recently have had issues with unknown persons coming onto my rental property through my front gate and stealing items from my fenced off patio.

    The place I live in is a rental unit so I am unable to install anything that requires you to hard wire the unit in. Due to specifics regarding the type of residential rental the units in the complex are, we are not allowed to have any additional security devices and are not allowed to secure items to the exterior, exterior fencing or other structures. This means no cameras, no locks on the gate and no chaining your BBQ to the fence. However I was recently told by the housing company, if I can find a wireless gate alarm that sends the alarm signal to a hub inside of the home rather than producing an exterior alarm, as not to disturb other units with the gate chime, I may be granted permission to install one.

    I am looking to obtain a wireless, magnate style gate sensor that mounts with some kind of zip tie system (as it cannot be bolted or screwed on) and relays the gate open signal to an interior placed hub that plugs into a standard wall outlet for power rather than hard wiring the unit in. I was looking into the Honeywell L3000LB systems that link up with the Honeywell outdoor gate sensors that are advertised as being able to secure with metal style zip ties and appears to come in a rental-unit friendly format as well (if I understood the website information correctly that is).

    As it stands pursuing this route would cost nearly $500 CAD, shipping and taxes in for the panel and the sensor. Is this the recommended route to take or is there any more affordable options? I am looking to be alerted to persons opening the front gate during the evening while I am asleep and if possible while I am at work during the afternoon (the at work option isn't fully necessary but would be preferable).

    Another issue I am having is availability of products within Canada versus the USA (I am located in Canada).

    Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/kip-kin
    [link] [comments]

    Does a device to use DSC wireless sensors on a Honeywell lyric system exist?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 12:49 PM PST

    I'm looking to upgrade a DSC 1832 system to a Honeywell lyric, and as the title states, I'm wondering if a device exists that can act as a repeater that changes the wireless signals to something the Honeywell wireless receiver will comprehend, so I won't have to replace all of the wireless sensors that are already installed.

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sporfsfan
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing keypad to a Honeywell 6160 then blank.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 03:53 PM PST

    Hi all. I am trying to replace a keypad for an Ademco home security system to a 6160. I installed it ok, I think. I hit 1 + 3 and see that it's addressed to 31. I edit that to 16 (only one keypad) but it stays in edit mode after hitting the star key. Like it's not accepting the 16. It doesn't go into a boot or start up process. Any suggestions on trouble shooting?

    submitted by /u/iikkaassaammaa
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for outdoor Wi-Fi camera with Pan Tilt Zoom.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 03:47 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for an outdoor security camera that has Pan, Tilt, & Zoom functions - is not battery powered, and does not require an NVR. I'm looking to get 3 to replace Xfinity Home Security.

    What I've found is either battery / solar powered, requires an NVR, or doesn't have PTZ. I'm disappointed in Reolink's lineup, because the RLC-423 checks all these boxes, but doesn't have Wi-Fi and requires an NVR. I cannot have POE cables running to a central location for this setup, which makes it difficult.

    To summarize, I'm looking for a camera that has: -Pan, Tilt, Zoom -Wi-Fi -PIR motion detection recording -Dedicated power supply / POE -No NVR requirement -iOS / Android App control & playback

    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful!

    submitted by /u/silverdy357
    [link] [comments]

    Patio lighting controlled by pir

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 06:02 AM PST

    Hello, I'm wanting to turn on all outdoor lights when someone is detected on my rear patio by a pir sensor. I have security cameras but they are not IFTT and niether is my wall switch so here is a work-around. My thoughts are to install a wireless pir controller to energize a relay that would simultanoeusly isolate the existing dimmer/fan combo wall switch and turn on the lights. I haven't found a lot of resources on the internet so this is what I came up with. Remote PIR ac control

    I did find something similar but a bit pricey: Wireless dimming module/occupancy sensor

    Wireless motion sensor

    submitted by /u/cwevans
    [link] [comments]

    Expanding sensors + wireless for Safewatch Pro 3000

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 10:35 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I moved into a house a few years ago with a wired ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 EN (which I understand to be equivalent to a Honeywell Vista 20p). We disconnected it from power when we moved in, and for a variety of reasons are looking to start using a home security system regularly. To give you a sense of our home, we are in a narrow urban rowhome with a tiny backyard.

    Problems:

    1. The sensor coverage is inadequate. We only have sensors on our front door and back door, plus a motion detector. I want to add sensors to 5 windows on the first floor, and maybe a few on the second floor (kids).
    2. The in-place motion sensor is located high and probably old. I have a 55lb dog so getting the right motion sensor is key.
    3. I'm not tech-illiterate but not particularly savvy either.

    Wants:

    1. Professional monitoring (ideally budgeting ~$30 monthly and no contract)

    2. Expand window sensor coverage, add glass break sensors and ensure motion detector is appropriate for a large dog (if possible...or maybe no motion detector with the right combination of other features)

    3. Features offered by some of the commonly used DIYs, like keyfobs and app monitoring

    Questions:

    1. Does it even make sense to repurpose my wired system? I am leaning toward just scrapping it because the sensors in place are so inadequate. I'm not sure if modifying to be able to add 5 window sensors, glass break sensor and +/- new motion detector to this existing system is more of a headache than it's worth. I have seen on this sub that the wired components can be reset and reused, but at some point I wonder if going with a newer, wireless system would be best. We have Nest thermostats but otherwise are not big smarthome people, and our house is old.

    2. How do you typically use glass break sensors with window sensors? Does using one defeat the purpose of the other?

    3. What is recommended for basement coverage with inoperable small windows? I'm thinking a single motion detector since typical window sensors wouldn't work. Plus small windows in concrete walls make me think glass break sensor isn't ideal.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gn0cch1
    [link] [comments]

    8ch 4k DVR Swann to Reolink 4k NVR 16ch. Is NVR upgrade worth it? I have had BNC Cable issues.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 08:20 AM PST

    Right now I have a Costco Swann 8ch DVR system. I need 10 cameras total so I am looking at the 16 channel Reolink.

    The 16 channel 4k NVR system with 8 cameras is new on ebay from reolink for 730. a 2 pack of cameras is around 150 to get to my 10 channels.

    I am considering NVR because I have heard they are a much better system.

    One issue I have had with my DVR is BNC cable reliability. My cameras that are on long 200ft runs oftentimes cut out and have distortion issues. I am hoping to resolve this as well as upgrade.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/541Spencer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment