• Breaking News

    Friday, December 4, 2020

    Home security: Security Cameras

    Home security: Security Cameras


    Security Cameras

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:25 PM PST

    This is probably a very common question here, so sorry in advance. For the past few years, I have been using Arlo cameras around my house. At first, this was very optimal and easy to setup. Now, these cameras barely work, and Arlo is beginning to charge for storage. I also liked the idea that they were wireless. At this point, I need to move forward and need help finding a good camera setup. They do not need to be wireless. In fact, I would prefer them not to be so I dont have the burden of constantly charging them. I just don't want to have to pay a storage fee or subscription fee. PLease, please any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/travelingjock
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless door peephole camera recommendations

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 08:23 AM PST

    I'm looking for a standard-looking peephole camera for my front door, but have a hard time finding exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps you guys have some recommendations?

    What I'm after:

    • Peephole must look like a standard peephole from the outside.
    • The screen that shows the video feed will be placed in the living room, so it should be wireless.
    • Preferably good video quality
    submitted by /u/norsk_saus
    [link] [comments]

    Camera wiring for a house without an attic and basement?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 07:15 PM PST

    My house doesn't have an attic or a basement. Is it possible to run wiring for roughly 10 security cameras without leaving the wiring vulnerable to being cut by intruders? I'm trying to do this without completing busting up the drywall on the entire perimeter of the house to hide the wires in; I imagine such a job would leave clear damage that is difficult to patch, and would also cost an arm and a leg.

    submitted by /u/venomarcher
    [link] [comments]

    Camera suggestion Help

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 10:02 AM PST

    I'm looking for a wireless outdoor camera that records on a SD card without significant Chinese involvement (data mining). 2K preferred. I found the Defender brand on Home Depot. Wasn't sure how good they were

    submitted by /u/TheHoliestMacaroni
    [link] [comments]

    Electronic Front Door activated block?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 06:25 PM PST

    Is there some sort of electronically activated and deactivated bolt type deal where when it is locked the electronic device puts a bar near the door to prevent a break in even if they pick the lock. When you press a button on the app or on your phone the bar would retract and you could enter. That way I not only have the key security but also an electronic device that bolsters the door. Maybe this is risky though since if it messes up I'd have no way of getting in.

    submitted by /u/franksinatraisbest
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up VLAN to isolate IP Cameras

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 11:56 AM PST

    I have 4 Reolink 5MP cameras that I am trying to install. I want to isolate them from accessing the internet but I need them to be accessible by my Raspberry Pi 4 running Zoneminder. I am using an 8 port managed switch to connect and power the cameras. My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to setup the VLAN so the cameras are not able to connect to the internet, but my RPI can still access them.

    Equipment

    • Router: TP-Link Archer A7
    • Switch: TP_Link TL-SG108PE
    • Cameras: Reolink RLC-410-5MP

    Switch Setup

    Port Device
    1 Camera 1
    2 Camera 2
    3 Camera 3
    4 Camera 4
    5 Raspberry Pi
    6 Router

    VLAN Setup

    VLAN ID Ports
    1 1-8 (Default)
    2 1-5
    3 5, 8

    This is my current setup. I can still ssh into my router and it can connect to the internet. The router cannot see the cameras (which is what I think I want). My worry is that the cameras are existing inside their on VLAN with the RPI now but there's no DHCP service running on that network so none of the cameras are getting an IP assigned and there's no way for my RPI to find them.

    Is there another way to do this?

    submitted by /u/yuuuuuuuut
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor long range solar WIFI camera

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 05:47 PM PST

    I have a decent amount of property that I'd like to monitor with cameras. I have a long range WiFi system that will reach to the end of my property, approximately 1,800 feet. Are there any options available for and outdoor, solar powered WIFI camera that would operate at this range? Ideally I'd like a PTZ camera but would settle for fixed. I'd also like motion detection with alerts, night vision and continuous recording. Seems like a tall order but figured I'd ask. I'm willing to pay for the system. Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/torttion
    [link] [comments]

    Systems compatible with apple home kit

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 11:46 AM PST

    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has recommendations for alarm systems that integrate with apple home kit.

    I've begun working with someone who builds apple networks commercially, and we have quite a few customers who would like the security integration.

    DSC iotega seems to be a failed endeavour, and as of yet seems to be the only DSC system compatible. Does anyone have experience with Honeywell in this regard? Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sporfsfan
    [link] [comments]

    Security system / cam for a small flat

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 02:06 PM PST

    Hello all.

    I just got a cheap Eufy pan and tilt security cam (uses SD card for storage), but only now realized that the notification alerts are not stored in the phone. These notifications are all kept on the SD card... Meaning that if there's no wifi, electricity, or if it gets stolen, I would lose all the data.

    The thing is, I got the cam more as an experiment, but my neighbor just got robbed today, so it got me thinking twice...

    What would you guys recommend that is not super expensive, for a 1 bedroom?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/ricak
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Wi-Fi camera system suggestion needed

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 01:47 PM PST

    I recently tried to install an outdoor security camera system, but due to the utter lack of access to key areas from my attic, installers determined that it would be infeasible to run wires.

    I've therefore been searching for outdoor Wi-Fi cameras instead. Are there any such cameras with the following features?:

    1. The ability to save the recording to a hard drive instead of just an SD card (do I need an NVR for this, or is there another way to save the footage)?
    2. Night vision of at least 50 feet
    3. Support for at least 10 cameras

    If reception is a problem, I'm willing to upgrade to a mesh network. Regarding the NVR, I'm not sure if the 8-channel NVRs are truly limited to just 8 cameras, or if they mean they are limited to 8 wired cameras. Is there a limit to how many Wi-Fi cameras can be connected with the NVR?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/venomarcher
    [link] [comments]

    DSC Low Battery Alert at Panel after 'touching' alarm system

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 01:42 PM PST

    Had an issue with a wireless zone that required rebooting the panel (unplug power, disconnect batter, replug, reconnect).

    That cleared the first error. And surfaced a low battery error (Strange; battery was fine for a while before this... but ok).

    Battery tested fine with multi meter (13 or so volts).

    Ordered a new batter; 12.8 volts out of the box. Installed it in panel several hours ago.

    Still have the low battery alarm.

    Could I have broken something by power-cycling it? Could something have shorted out?

    submitted by /u/Ramias1
    [link] [comments]

    Smoke & carbon monoxide detector questions

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 09:25 AM PST

    When these are installed through the alarm system that is based on Alarm.com, what happens when they are activated?

    Alerts user from app, I'm sure. If the system is armed, will it go into an alarm state? What about with the monitoring station? Did they do anything with this info? Will they call?

    submitted by /u/TXN4FREEDOM
    [link] [comments]

    Re-Purposing an old HIK Vision DVR.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 12:26 PM PST

    I have an old HIK VISION DVR, but can remember any of the passwords to access it. This is not an issue as it was used years ago. My question is; If I buy a new hard drive, will I be able to use it or will I still need the passwords to access it?

    submitted by /u/Aliesta5000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment