• Breaking News

    Friday, December 4, 2020

    Home security: Looking for indoor cameras I can kill power to when I'm home

    Home security: Looking for indoor cameras I can kill power to when I'm home


    Looking for indoor cameras I can kill power to when I'm home

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 10:49 AM PST

    Does any one have experience with cameras that will fit this need. Ideally the cameras would reconnect easily when given power and be remotely accessible.
    My idea is when we're home we want to kill power or have the security system kill power to the cameras when it's in the disarmed state. We don't want to feel "watched" when at home.

    submitted by /u/Sufficient-String
    [link] [comments]

    What's the oddest thing you've captured while having your home security system in operation?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 11:50 PM PST

    I'll go first :). Some months back I had a bit of an out of the ordinary occurrence. In the late evening one night my system captured some random woman pounding on my front door. She proceeded to do this to my garage door as well and then went around back of the garage to the walk-out door and pounded for a few more minutes. I have no idea what she wanted, if she was on drugs or just plain crazy. She was intent on getting someone's attention though.

    I live in a cul de sac and it's usually pretty quiet. I'll catch a few vehicles going up and down the street that don't live on the street but aside from the neighborhood trash pickers, it's quiet. I was asleep already and didn't hear any of this but my system caught it.

    submitted by /u/T3mp0r
    [link] [comments]

    Best Monitored System? Simplisafe, ADT, or?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 11:54 AM PST

    I am hoping for some advice on my security needs. I have been using Simplisafe for about 4 years in my main home. I am in the process of buying a new home in Vermont and will be traveling back and forth between the two homes for the next few months to move up on weekends.

    I am looking for something a little more maintenance free. Simplisafe has been easy for the most part but I can't stand changing the batteries. The new house has a bunch of doors though I would likely opt for just using motion sensors and security cameras with motion detection/text alerts as its in the middle of the woods and the previous owners haven't used a security system in the 120 years since the home was built.

    I don't mind paying for reliable monitoring but I really want outdoor cameras with reliable motion/night sensors and text alerts when they are triggered.

    I also am hoping for a professional install. Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/LegendsCreek
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for LAN only outdoor cameras

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 05:24 PM PST

    I'm currently looking to install some cameras, my criteria for which is:

    • Passable camera quality
    • Night vision
    • Wireless
    • LAN only, no online services, i just want to communicate with it over wifi from my PC
    • Battery powered would be nice but not required
    • Waterproof (given its outdoors)

    Looking for this, pretty much all of the cameras have some element of cloud service required or require the use of a station. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Considering giving up and making my own out of a tupaware container and a pi 0 at this point.

    submitted by /u/Natekomodo
    [link] [comments]

    Dahua NVR 4 - Max simultaneous camera feeds on web interface

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 10:12 AM PST

    I don't have an NVR here to test so I'm hoping somebody could help.

    I was wondering if it was possible to open more than 4 cameras at a time in the web interface. I can't seem to spot the icon that was there previously on the other dvr (flir analog), this one only appears to do 1 or 4 camera views. I was hoping to view all 8.

    I know you can use stuff like dss server and whatnot, but I'm looking for a pure web solution without needing to bring the NVR monitor out.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/JonSnoGaryen
    [link] [comments]

    Smoke detectors hard wired into prior owners ADT system

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 06:37 AM PST

    Hi all

    Bought house a few weeks ago. It was built in 1999 and ADT system was installed during build. Alarms started going off and we couldn't stop it so we disconnected the main power box in the basement.

    Recently got around to change batteries on smoke detectors but realized it was hard wired to ADT power supply (no batteries to change, smoke detector lights only started flashing after we powered back on ADT system).

    Trying to look into options but curious if anyone here has suggestions. Do I just need to reactivate ADT? When I called them upon moving in they implied everything needed to be updated (and we have 10 smoke detectors!!). Is there a way I can just power on the smoke detectors?

    submitted by /u/tstyle2002
    [link] [comments]

    Best Simple Door Intruder Alarms? (In the UK)

    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 07:05 AM PST

    Hi, I'm currently living in a flat and I'd like to install an intruder alarm on the front door. What system would you recommend that isn't too expensive?

    Ideally, I'm looking for one that has a keypad and a short delay before the alarm goes off because I don't want to wake up the neighbours every time I come home.

    Also, I want something without smartphone notifications or anything like that. This is because I want an alarm that will actually scare the intruders away, rather than just tell me I'm being burgled.

    We have a dog which is always running around so a motion sensor would be unsuitable.

    I'm a few floors up so my windows are probably safe.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/fireintheforest20
    [link] [comments]

    DSC PC1616 options?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 08:20 PM PST

    Hi,

    We just bought our first home and it seems to have a pre-installed alarm system (says DSC PC1616).

    Pics of what I was able to find: https://imgur.com/a/dDFmNLp

    It seems like the previous owners did not use it at all, nothing is powered up. There were three points that I discovered: 1) The Keypad-Panel, 2) What seems to be like a power unit (?) in the garage (2nd pic) that was unplugged and 3) a panel with a cover in a closet.

    I've had my eye on the IQ Panel 2 by Qolsys for a while. Is it possible to convert the existing system to something like it that will also support Z-Wave sensors along with the wired ones? I'm planning to add break glass sensors and generally expand the existing capabilities.

    I'm planning to use Surety Home for it as it seems to be a good option often suggested here. I'm a complete newbie in alarm systems so I'm looking at a few opinions here.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/netharis
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment