• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 3, 2020

    Home security: Is there ever a time when DVR makes more sense? [trying not to be another random/annoying post about camera etc.]

    Home security: Is there ever a time when DVR makes more sense? [trying not to be another random/annoying post about camera etc.]


    Is there ever a time when DVR makes more sense? [trying not to be another random/annoying post about camera etc.]

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 06:09 AM PST

    Hi,

    I understand and I agree that there are too many questions on this sub regarding which security camera should one buy (its littered with questions about which camera system is better ie. DVR vs NVR or which camera brand is good ie. Hikvision, Dahua etc.) which is a little annoying.

    I understand that security cameras make a big part of home defense and such questions are warranted. I am going to do my best to not make this another random boring post (and will supplement with pictures)

    My situation is a little different : I think I only need 2 security cameras for my front gate of my house and putting up the cost for a NVR system is going to be quite expensive as compared to a DVR setup. I think if you are going to have 4, 6, 8 cameras with an extensive installation it makes sense to get a NVR on the other hand if you are in a situation like mine where you only need 2 cameras maybe DVR might be a better option (the sad part is that they are analog, rely on coaxial cables, are saved in older codec format, can't do fancy AI stuff etc.) but I heard the qualities of DVR based cameras can be comparable to NVRs (I am talking about 2MP IP Camera vs 2MP Analog Camera).

    https://imgur.com/a/7cFiKWf

    I am thinking of putting 2 cameras on opposite ends of the metal rail on top of the gate. What do you think of the setup idea? There is very limited traffic in my area and maybe a DVR may be suffice for my use-case. Happy to hear some feedback from others here.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/auzinomics
    [link] [comments]

    5-channel “mobile” NVR

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 10:27 AM PST

    I should wait to make this post until my phone charges, but then I'll probably forget.

    Some ad that popped up on my gmail was from a company specializing in security cams for vehicles. (Yes, this is home defense, but...people here are about cams and who doesn't park at home.)

    What really caught my eye was a 5-channel NVR designed for mobile use. Probably 12 VDC powered.

    People here are always asking about off grid solutions. This might be one. The company name was Reverse View Video, or somesuch.

    submitted by /u/NotFallacyBuffet
    [link] [comments]

    HDD recommendations for NVR

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 10:06 AM PST

    Looking to build an NVR system with as many as 6-8 4K Annke cameras. Already have Blue Iris. Have couple PCs I'd like to try to repurpose.

    1. Dell 7060 in Micro format with i7-8700T, 16GB RAM
    2. AsRock DeskMini A100 with i3-7100, 16GB RAM

    I do not plan to currently implement 24/7 recording but more event based triggers. Per research done here and elsewhere, I understand the CPUs and RAM in these devices should be adequate?

    However, for surveillance systems, I find recommendations for using WD Purple drives - which would not fit in the systems listed above as they only accommodate NVMe or 2.5" drives and my understanding is WD Purple are only manufactured in 3.5" form factor.

    Would appreciate any recommendations for alternative storage options.

    Thank you in advance for any feedback!

    submitted by /u/tinkershah
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision NVR HDD Size

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 02:15 AM PST

    Hi guys, any ideas if any of their 8x port nvrs support 10tb drives?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Daves88
    [link] [comments]

    Any facial recognition software recommendations?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 11:46 PM PST

    My current security setup is using OpenAI set up with DeepStackAI to scan and log each type of object and its confidence level. However, I am interested in something that will identify and categorize familiar faces. Something like how Apple photos scans your photos to look for faces and learns whos who. I want something similar for my system so I classify everyone who is on my property and when they were seen.

    Of course, I'd like to run said software locally so nothing that sends information out to a 3rd party if possible. Also hope for something that is open source.

    Edit: This is for a private property. I am not a crazy boss looking to track employees. I have always been interested in FR and even wrote a final paper on it.

    submitted by /u/Italiandogs
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when Ring alarm goes off when not home and not professionally monitored?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 09:34 PM PST

    When the alarm goes off I have to use the keypad to shut it off. But what if Im not home, alarm goes off and I want to shut it off as a false alarm? Sometimes garage motion sensor gets triggered. Will it keep going off until someone shuts it down? Havent found a way to stop it via the app in that scenario.

    submitted by /u/Jambroni99
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment