• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 29, 2020

    Home security: Ideas to keep empty property secure?

    Home security: Ideas to keep empty property secure?


    Ideas to keep empty property secure?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:38 AM PST

    My husband has inherited his father's house, which is derelict and empty. His sister is visiting daily to feed the horse on the property until we can rehome him. This morning, the garage had been broken into. It was actually unlocked already because we don't know where the key is, we'd just put the padlock back so that it looked locked. They'd cut the padlock anyway and left the garage door and the door to the extension of the house open (full of actual rubbish and rotten food). They hadn't touched the house itself. There isn't anything of value on the property, but it's a safety hazard, there are collapsing sheds and other dangers around the place and we don't want anyone poking about, getting hurt and sueing or setting the place on fire or something. I've ordered some danger signs, but what can we do to actually deter people from going in there at all on a bit of a budget? I think a fake CCTV camera would be a bit obvious given the state of the place, it's a 200-year-old cottage in severe disrepair.

    We wouldn't really want to spend more than, say, £50 because we already have to clear the house to sell and all the expenses related to that, plus he didn't leave any money so everything is coming out of our pockets until the property sells, which we don't expect to be for a great deal. A full security system isn't what we're after, just some things to make people think twice about poking about. Putting signs up worries me as well that we'd be announcing it's empty, people don't typically put danger signs on a house they live in. We will be there a lot in the coming weeks, but my husband and I live 30 mins away and his sister doesn't have a car, so just gets a lift to feed the pony then goes home. I'm sure it was opportunistic but perhaps someone has noticed a flurry of activity and visits and realised the owner has died. I doubt it because they didn't break into the house, but you never know.

    In the UK, if it makes a difference!

    submitted by /u/not-a-tapir
    [link] [comments]

    I need help!

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:03 AM PST

    I understand the obvious as i will be taking care of this ASAP. I have warrants and live in a small town. People in this town have identified my home from previous burglaries as a great home to obtain supplies from when I'm not home due to a fact I'm a prepper. I am looking to purchase a security camera system that is secure in the sense that it cant be easily accessed by hackers like my previous cameras. What camera system or company would you guys recommend that doesnt automatically notify the police? As previously mentioned I have warrants and that would completely defeat the purpose. Even if I didnt have legal troubles I would not want the police just showing up to my home because my camera sent them there. I can handle my own security in that aspect. Ring, Arlo, Wyze????

    submitted by /u/Dear_Pineapple_4511
    [link] [comments]

    1440p vs 1080p for security camera

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 10:38 AM PST

    If i have full hd tv, will i get see any better quality video on security camera if i choose 1440p?

    submitted by /u/fostes1
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended outdoor security battery powered cameras?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:01 PM PST

    Any recommendations for local outdoor security battery powered cameras?

    ZUMIMALL GX1S - Wireless Outdoor WiFi Security Camera, Rechargeable Battery-Powered Home Security Camera, 1080P Night Vision/Waterproof, PIR Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio, Compatible with Cloud Storage/SD Slot

    Conico - ZS-GX5S

    Kami-77010

    Suggestions on brands to check out.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/tweet23
    [link] [comments]

    Avigilon cameras for home use?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:37 AM PST

    Seeing some great deals on use Avigilon cameras.. looking for feedback on what's need to use them on a home system? Do I have to use avigilon acc software to operate cameras? Feedback appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SlobbOnMyCob
    [link] [comments]

    Milestone question

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 08:05 AM PST

    Hello everyone, perhaps someone here with some Milestone experience could help me out..

    I have a fairly basic setup using Milestone Essential+ 2019 R3 (yeah yeah...I tried 2020 and ended up rolling back!). I have 5 cameras total but I want one recording 24/7. After a bit of research, I found I needed to create a rule telling my camera to always record. Easy enough.

    Here's the issue... The camera only records in the low quality stream. Now, my cameras are generic Chinese junk configured using RTSP streams. All other cameras work as they should (preview at low, record on high). However, this camera (even if I ONLY have the full resolution stream configured) will always record at the low quality.

    Am I missing something stupid simple here?

    submitted by /u/DarrenCax
    [link] [comments]

    Home alarm system that works with my existing smart home devices

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:39 PM PST

    Hi all-

    First post here, sorry its a bit long winded!

    I just moved into a new home and have brought with all my various smart devices from my previous place, and am working to try to integrate everything into the new home. So far everything works well, but up next is what to do about the pre-existing alarm system in the house. The system appears to be a Honeywell system maybe 7 or 8 years old, very basic. PIN pad, door/window sensors built into the frames, motion detectors, and I believe a temp or water sensor in the basement, all hardwired. I would like to upgrade the panel to something touch screen, app/smart controlled that could ideally allow control or interaction with everything else.

    The current system isn't monitored any longer but was installed by a local alarm company, I called them, they could upgrade the system for a sizable chunk of change (to a more modern Honeywell smart one), but the monitoring they do seems rather basic and not backed by something large (like Brinks or ADT). I called Brinks and asked them about what they could do. They are pushing basically buying an entire separate system from them, with wireless sensors and stuff id just place around the house. I HATE this idea since I dont want to have white sensor boxes glued to my windows and doors when they already HAVE them built in.

    Can anyone recommend an alarm solution that would work with my existing sensors AND tie into my items listed bellow? Id love to program geo fencing for when I leave/come home,

    At the moment all my devices are Alexa controlled:Arlo Ultra 2 camerasArlo wired doorbell camPhilips Hue lightsSylvania smart Bulbs

    I also have a MyQ garage door but that only seems to work with its own app, and doesnt connect to Alexa. And will be installing an Ecobee thermostat shortly.

    Ill also be adding a few smart locks, brand undetermined right now (Schlage most likely)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xolinlevh
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended POE camera systems? For UK use

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:11 PM PST

    Am getting new CCTV wiring put in with Ethernet cables put in around the house. Looking for POE cameras/CCTV recommendations to work with an NVR. Have seen Reolink and Hikvision but don't know much about them. Any suggestions? Ability to store locally as well as in the cloud is a bonus. Planning to run CAT6 cables but let me know if this should be anything else.

    submitted by /u/hxv92
    [link] [comments]

    Cameras that record continuously while I’m away?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:12 AM PST

    I'm interested in cameras that use my location to know that I'm away, and then record continuously during that time. It's been a while since I've researched cameras and it seems many of them simply record when they "detect" something. I would like something that just records everything while I'm away.

    Only other criteria is I don't want to do business with Nest / Google.

    Thanks for any advice.

    EDIT: To clarify, I want a camera that supports geofencing while not relying on "intelligence" to decide when to trigger the camera. It's less about having access to footage while I'm away as it is about relying on software to decide when to save the recording.

    submitted by /u/Itchy_Fisherman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment