• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 27, 2020

    Home Improvement: How do you learn about home maintenance?

    Home Improvement: How do you learn about home maintenance?


    How do you learn about home maintenance?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 04:36 PM PST

    Yes, yes I follow the pinned message on this sub. I vacuumed the inside of my furnace and I'm replacing my hot water heater anode in a few days. But, something new always pops up like someone mentioning a water pressure regulator or an expansion tank that I've NEVER heard of before.

    There should be an app that helps you with all of this. Does anyone know of one? Or how do you learn about this? It's hard because you don't know what you don't know.

    submitted by /u/LifeLegacy
    [link] [comments]

    All of my windows have this condensation line every morning...what can I do to stop this?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:51 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/AGBxIZS

    This is the worst that I've ever seen the condensation on my home this year. We keep the house about 66F and current temps outside are ~20-50*F for lows/highs. This is condensation on the interior of the house that I can wipe away. Not between the panes of glass.

    Do I need to add insulation on the bottom of the windows where they contact the sill? Why would this happen now when I've never had insulation before?

    I do have a 65g aquarium in the 1800sq ft house...this is the first year that we've seen this problem though.

    submitted by /u/Phyber05
    [link] [comments]

    Am I crazy, or is this a paper plate?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 09:10 PM PST

    I'm staying in a recently renovated home. It was originally built in 1900. My guess is what used to be a chimney was cutoff? What I can't get past is the uncanny paper plate looking "cover" for something that is heavily painted over. So I ask, is this a paper plate?

    submitted by /u/focoguitar
    [link] [comments]

    Encroachment - neighbor built “pop-back” extension onto my property!

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:16 AM PST

    So I've recently become aware that my immediate neighbor built his rowhouse "pop-back" extension two inches over our property line, lengthwise (see photos - his house is the red brick one on the right, mine's the white one on the left).

    I bought my house (first time home buyer) 4 years ago, purchased, newly remodeled, and flipped by the seller earlier that same year. My neighbor has been remodeling his house for 5+ years, possibly way longer. He's never actually lived there (the house has been uninhabited this whole time). He built the pop-back extension sometime before I bought my house, most likely before my seller bought the house.

    Point is this encroachment was previously unknown to me, and possibly to my seller, and possibly even to my neighbor until this week. It was not disclosed to me during the sale 4 years ago, and I only found out because I talked to some surveyors from the city who've been snooping around back there intermittently this month, and I did manage to speak with my neighbor who acknowledged the problem yesterday - though he played dumb about it.

    So, question is, what do I do? Is my neighbor in trouble? Is he (or the city) required to notify me officially? Knock down the encroaching extension? Settle with me financially? Do we go to court? Did I get duped by my seller four years back? Unless this is resolved does this affect my property value and make selling my property more difficult in the future?

    Thanks!

    https://imgur.com/a/AeuCLn5

    submitted by /u/just321askin
    [link] [comments]

    Drilled through a water pipe

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 04:03 PM PST

    Drilled through a water pipe.

    This morning while putting up a shelf I drilled through a water pipe. Since then I have cut a hole in the wall and fixed the pipe. However during the whole ordeal plenty of water got out of the pipe and went pretty much everywhere. I've dried and cleaned the walls and floor but am worried about water inside the plasterboard wall and it causing mold. Anyone got any advice on how to dry the inside of the wall or how I can stop any mold.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/throwabae1334
    [link] [comments]

    Is it weird to paint your interior one color?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:17 PM PST

    I'm going on vacation next week and was gonna start painting the inside of my house. I'm interested in using "Champlain blue" by BEHR. I need to paint the kitchen, 2 bedrooms, living room, hallway and bathroom. Do you guys think it would look strange with one single color?

    submitted by /u/AliG1990
    [link] [comments]

    Finishing basement on new build home

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:11 PM PST

    Hi everyone. Planning to finish the basement on a recently purchased new build home. It's a walkout basement (not sure if it makes a difference) is there any concern with the foundation settling and cracking behind the drywall?

    I am worried any cracks that could happen would become hidden which is obviously true. Should I wait a year or two to finish the basement? I appreciate any comments from experience.

    submitted by /u/Intelligent-Pick9555
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP- I've been trying to fix my toilet for hours...

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 09:16 PM PST

    The mounting nut underneath the tank is completely stuck. Needle nose pliers, wrenches, NOTHING is working; I can't get enough traction around the nut to make it budge. It's round instead of the what seems to be the more common octagon-style. We only have 1 bathroom in our house so I'm am effed if I can't figure this out ASAP. Please, please give me some new ideas to try. I am a complete amateur DIY-er, but at this point I know what I need to do, I just can't figure out how the hell to do it!

    submitted by /u/lc11220217
    [link] [comments]

    Composite deck turns white in areas I clean

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 01:45 PM PST

    My composite deck turned white in the areas that I scrubbed today. I used soap and water. I wet it first and then rinsed it afterwards. I used a medium scrub brush. How can I get this white residue off my deck?

    composite deck

    submitted by /u/maverickDS
    [link] [comments]

    Garage door question

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:56 PM PST

    Just changed the weather strip on our door as the previous one was torn at the end.

    Turned out great, only downside is that now it's letting even more light /weather in on one side.

    So: 1- is the Garage door / ground not level? I tried pushing down the corner but don't want to bend anything. B- I greased the wheels and rails thinking maybe rust was holding it up.

    2- buy a taller WS?

    Thoughts anyone?

    submitted by /u/UnsanitarySnipez
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding replacement window parts

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 07:31 PM PST

    Recently bought a house and noticed some of the windows are missing a piece along the top. The piece missing is plastic (underlined in yellow in the picture) The second picture is the side view of the piece.

    Anyone know what this piece is called so I can find replacement ones?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7jy0c00

    submitted by /u/okayeswhy
    [link] [comments]

    Started chipping some old paint to prep for repainting. Huge chunks came off and now I'm left with a massive mess I'm not sure how to approach.

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:12 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/swn3w6x

    As you can see, sometimes it went straight down to bare...something. Is it plaster? Some old ass drywall? I dunno. This house is full of mysteries.

    Any advice on what those walls are made of and how to attack this job would be greatly appreciated. I've done my share of drywall mudding, but never something this big.

    submitted by /u/Sadistic_Sponge
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to make your garage look good on a budget?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 04:57 PM PST

    Recently purchased a house and the garage is far from my ideal garage. The concrete is bare, has some cracks, stains, and dried resin puddles. I've always wanted epoxy floors, but I feel hesitant dropping a few grand on floors.

    I've looked into garage tiles like racedeck, but for a normal 20'x20' garage, that's still going to cost at least $2000.

    So I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives. I thought about just renting a buffer and sanding it down and put a coat of sealer on it and call it a day. Not sure if it's a good idea though. And I heard it gets slippery when wet.

    I would love to hear what you guys have done or had in mind.

    submitted by /u/Sunder92
    [link] [comments]

    Does this light bulb inside the box serve a purpose? I have two like this. I tried to remove the light and go down to a one gang box with just the light switch. The breaker keeps tripping on the new one, so it seems like the light bulb is needed?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:53 PM PST

    Does this light bulb inside the box serve a purpose? https://imgur.com/gallery/QXmEP0R

    submitted by /u/leroi7
    [link] [comments]

    Leaking window during really bad storm

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:04 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    We had a really bad storm the other night with lots of wind in FL and we found one of our downstairs windows leaking from the very top where the window meets drywall (pic attached). The next day I went outside and tried to inspect for any potential areas where water could get in but couldn't visibly see anything. I even took a hose and tried spraying the window and all around it and couldn't replicate the leak. From what I'm reading online based on where it was leaking. the entry point could be anywhere up the side of the house and maybe this window was just the first exit point for the water? I was of course hoping it was just caulking around the window.

    To complicate things a little more - I posted this on my neighborhood FB page to see if anyone had anything similar happen or if anyone had recommendations for who could come take a look and 3 other people in my neighborhood with the same exact floorplan had this happen all within the past couple years to the SAME EXACT WINDOW. Unfortunately none of us are still under warranty. 1 of those people recaulked the window but it ended up leaking again 6 months later. Another 1 had someone come out (not sure if this was a window company or roofing company) and they couldn't find anywhere water could be getting in. The other 1 just had it happen about a year ago during a bad storm and hasn't had it happen since so they haven't done anything.

    There is a 2nd story window directly above this one (in case that's relevant). Figured I'd post on here in case anyone else has had something similar happen and if you guys have any advice on who to contact first for this.

    https://imgur.com/a/3g105yH

    Really appreciate any insight or advice. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/throw26181811
    [link] [comments]

    Hot Water takes a long time to reach faucet

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:07 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I am a new home owner living in California.

    We just bought a town house and things are great except for one thing. It takes over 5 minutes for hot water to first reach the faucet or shower. It's pretty annoying.

    There is a large gas powered hot water tank in the garage. The weather is warm. The house was built in 2012.

    Does anyone know what could be causing this? Should I have the tank replaced with gas less. I am happy to hire a pro and not do diy, just not sure what professional to hire.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/mosouth85
    [link] [comments]

    Servicing and maintaining HVAC

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:00 PM PST

    Is it necessary or recommended to yearly, periodically or routinely have a check-up done on your heating and cooling units when there are no seen or potential issues? Any dangers or risks in not doing so? Can you tell I've never had it done on mine?

    submitted by /u/detekk
    [link] [comments]

    Bang/pop sound after new toilet installation

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 06:57 PM PST

    Installed my first toilet in my new house to replace the one that came with it. After installing it, checking for leaks and flushing it a bunch an hour or two had passed and it was time to "inaugurate" it. When sitting down I heard a semi loud pop/bang. I don't want to say crack noise, because I think of like an egg cracking. More of like tile breaking type noise but more of a quick pop. It's been a few days and no leaks, but I'm worried it was the wax ring that broke because it was cold? Any idea what it could be? Should I go ahead and lift it up and replace the the wax ring? Is that noise normal?

    TLDR; installed new toilet and heard a dense popping sound/bang coming from under the base when sitting on it for the first time. Is that normal or bad?

    submitted by /u/alidism
    [link] [comments]

    Best plan for these stairs?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 04:53 PM PST

    I'm the type of girl who just can't sit still. As I sipped my morning coffee today, I thought, "What can I get into before work today?"... and decided to rip the carpet off the stairs that lead to my bedroom, curious what I'd find since my house is 140 years old.

    I was thrilled!

    Before: https://ibb.co/bRzcwwv

    First peek: https://ibb.co/m0RNFqg

    After ripping out carpet: https://ibb.co/rdJ38ZZ

    I know I have hours of plucking out nails and staples ahead of me. I have no real plan after that. The same carpet is upstairs for now. I don't know what color LVP I'll be doing eventually up there (probably some kind of grey UNLESS there's magically beautiful original hardwoods like I have downstairs). I don't know what color the walls will be, but I'm thinking a deep, soothing blue-grey (I used SW Chelsea Gray on my master bath vanity and loved it).

    Questions:

    The deteriorated plaster... fix with joint compound, spackle, or something else?

    Any guess what wood that is?

    Take those boards out and replace with single board treads? Leave them?

    I want to stain the treads and paint the risers white like this, I think... https://ibb.co/VMftrpx Is there a better idea I'm missing? I need it bright since there's really no natural light.

    It's an old farmhouse and I do everything by myself. I wanted to make skirt boards, but my skill level only allows for that if I cut new treads. I'll never get them fitted right around the little lip that hangs over.

    How would y'all tackle these?

    (edit for typo)

    submitted by /u/ten96dispatcher
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner: paint myself or hire it out?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 06:26 AM PST

    is hiring a painter for interior walls a "luxury" or something that might make sense for 2 new homeowners with a 6-month old and not a whole lot of time on our hands?

    submitted by /u/Heavy_Cheddar
    [link] [comments]

    Did I kill the mold here? Is it okay to seal it with Drylock now?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:38 PM PST

    Picture in the Imgur link. Did I kill the mold here? Is it ok to seal now? I scraped it and then did a deep scrub with detergent, then bleach, rinsed it, let it rest over night, did another scrub with bleach, let it rest for thirty minutes, rinsed it and did one last clean with soap

    https://imgur.com/gallery/gkFG0mN

    submitted by /u/ClarenceWorley42
    [link] [comments]

    How to cover this gas line sticking out of the wall?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:51 PM PST

    I'm looking for nice a way to cover this gas line plug sticking out of my wall (photo). It's an eyesore that is no longer needed, I believe a leftover from the oven in an extra basement kitchen area. It sticks out about 0.75" from the wall.

    I know they make domed cover plates for plumbing cleanouts (such as this), but those typically screw right into a plastic cleanout plug. In this case, it's a metal plug/cap. Ideally I was hoping to find something similar (domed blank cover plate) that I can screw into the wall with wall anchors. I'm not really sure what I should be searching for though. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/DoesntReallyLikeCats
    [link] [comments]

    Stone veneer over options?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:42 PM PST

    Is it possible to slap a stone veneer over this hideousness? The concrete and brick look is definitely not working for me.

    Wall

    Advice is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Jaysa102
    [link] [comments]

    Advice fixing prefinished hardwood flooring from slight moisture exposure

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 01:14 PM PST

    My dog spilled some water, and by the time I noticed it, this is happening to a few of the boards. That being the worst one. Plan so far is to delicately sand the whole board, tape it off, and reapply finishing. I'm not sure if this is the best approach. Advice from someone who has dealt with this would be very helpful and appreciated!

    Also, the type of wood is Ipe (or Brazilian walnut) if that helps.

    submitted by /u/thedapperissue
    [link] [comments]

    Southwest - How is my lightswitch wired?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:05 PM PST

    First - I know I am an idiot and have already got the name of an electrician to take over.

    I wanted to put in a wifi enabled light switch and thought the bundle of white wires were the neutral wires. Should have known better because there are about 6 wires in the bundle for a 2 switch socket. The white wires I'm referring to is the bundle with the red cap between the arrows. Anyway, I grabbed one and ran it to the smart switch. The switch got power but the lights went haywire and none of the outlets worked in the room. I reversed everything and all is good. I am just curious what the bundle of white wires would be. Seems to be for the whole room. Any way to identify which one should be the neutral for the switch? I got curious and looked at a few other rooms and they seem wired in the same way.

    https://imgur.com/a/PJu5uVR

    submitted by /u/mendeddragon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment