• Breaking News

    Friday, November 20, 2020

    Home security: Arlo Pro 3 4-pack is on sale for $500 and I'm leaning towards getting it. Is there a better option for the same or lower price?

    Home security: Arlo Pro 3 4-pack is on sale for $500 and I'm leaning towards getting it. Is there a better option for the same or lower price?


    Arlo Pro 3 4-pack is on sale for $500 and I'm leaning towards getting it. Is there a better option for the same or lower price?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 08:05 PM PST

    I don't need cloud storage. I do need wireless cameras.

    I don't know anything about security cams so any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/dynasoreshicken
    [link] [comments]

    What are some options for home security cameras without a subscription?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 01:44 PM PST

    I am looking for indoor and outdoor home security cameras for my home. The idea that I need to pay extra for using them monthly after I bought the hardware seems stupid to me so I want to know if there are any reliable cameras that have no subscription.

    I am actually looking for a camera system that comes with its own software.

    My specific requirements are:

    1. No subscription
    2. I should be able to view the video remotely on a device live
    3. Be able to store that video onto my device (phone/ PC etc) or SD card
    4. I don't need cloud storage

    Please let me know if such a system exists and my apologies if this I too broad or vague. I am new to this. Please ask me any questions if that brings any clarity.

    submitted by /u/Sinister_Monster
    [link] [comments]

    How to make home more secure with cameras?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 12:08 AM PST

    Backstory: I need some advice and tips on how to better secure my home. I have a half brother, and we share a mother who previously lived with me and my husband and two toddlers. She got much sicker than I could handle so I put her in a really nice assisted living community with other people of her age and medical issues. I still visited her almost everyday. This past summer my half brother decided to take it upon himself and remove her from the home without my knowledge so he could be her caregiver (a bad one at that) since he's done that he's been combing by my house and demanding I give him things she left behind but I told him all her personal things were at the assisted living and I have nothing left. He then broke into my house twice to take things from my home. I've confronted him and called the police and they said I should set up security around the home. So I got door alarms, and a Ring door bell video thing for the front. Any suggestions on how I can secure my windows better than just locking them? Any suggestions on inexpensive cameras I can put at my back door? Any other things I should do? TIA!

    submitted by /u/shutdownandfrozen
    [link] [comments]

    I’m starting a bonsai collection and wondering what I could do to protect them from theft, as they will be kept outdoors. Any ideas?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 09:53 PM PST

    What are the best home alarm options in 2020?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:00 PM PST

    Did a bunch of searching through old posts but didn't find compelling recs.

    I am buying a 1960s home and plan on upgrading all of the systems, including home security.

    What are the best options at this point? I've heard ADT is awful.

    submitted by /u/BawceHog
    [link] [comments]

    Sensor system to protect against flooding/leaking in home?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 06:58 PM PST

    Is there a reputable sensor system to help protect against flooding? Laundry room, basement etc.? A pipe burst at a friends house causing $60k+ in water damage.

    Bonus points if it someone had the ability to shut off water source.

    submitted by /u/BawceHog
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some in/outdoor security cameras and dvr with minimal data usage but remote viewing

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 08:59 AM PST

    My family owns some land we use for hunting, it's in a wooded area with minimal concern. However, we had someone break in and steal find some things back in 2003 or something and ever since we have been paranoid lol.

    At any rate, we don't need some high tech stuff but some gear I'm looking for is a dvr/nvr system that I can connect to remotely, preferably with my phone but by pc is fine. We have a jetpack that is connected to Verizon data network and it has 24gbs a month. Id prefer to only utilize data when I check the streaming. I usually utilize ip cameras at my home and such but they destroy data.

    Sorry if I'm not being articulate. I just want some cameras that can see our grounds and inside the cabin and I can connect to it remotely without destroying data :) Any suggestions are appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Swordheart
    [link] [comments]

    2gig sensor panel testing and Alarm.com app

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:50 AM PST

    I just changed out the battery on my recessed door sensor. The panel seems okay, it beeps and calls out the sensor name when I open the door now. But my Alarm.com app still shows the door as closed, even if I have it open. I've never tested my sensors before and I'd like to try it out. I saw a great video explaining how to do that. I'm confident that I know how. But my anxiety is about the alarm going off. When I test the sensors (in test mode), will the alarm really sound off or will it just beep?

    submitted by /u/sharper43
    [link] [comments]

    Security Camera Upgrade?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 04:43 PM PST

    Hi I'm using a fairly old system I had for the past 4-5 years wired cameras to my system which records on a hard drive. I'm wonder what is the cons of getting a system which saves on the cloud?

    submitted by /u/heydurmyboy
    [link] [comments]

    Organizing camera wires in your house?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 03:45 PM PST

    I have wires from security cameras running through my house and it's looking like a disorganized mess/trip hazard. What are some tips on how to run these wires so it doesn't clutter the aesthetics of your house? I need wires to run through 2 or more rooms (all on the same level).

    Edit: the cameras are on the porch and go through the window trim to inside, and then needs to go up about 12" to meet the ceiling, or down 6' to meet the floor. Trying to figure out if best to run along ceiling or floor baseboards and what to best use to secure in place.

    submitted by /u/lindenberry
    [link] [comments]

    Simple 1-2 security camera system for business/home

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 07:42 AM PST

    BACKGROUND/CONTEXT

    I have a small commercial building I renovated recently and am looking to add a camera or two on the front and back for security, and to simply monitor the outside area. To start, the plan is to have a camera mounted up in the area of the front stoop/entrance. It will cover the front of the building and sidewalk and will be easy to wire to the network router/dedicated computer in the main office/studio. The region where I am located gets very cold in the winter (regularly 0 F and as low as -20 F with wind chill and other factors) and there are snowy/stormy conditions, so those need to be considered for the build of the cameras. Great performance in complete darkness is not a critical requirement as street lamp posts are along the sidewalk of the main street in the front, and motion lights are on the back of the building.

    RESOURCES/EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE

    • A PoE camera, recently purchased the Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera in black (IP8M-T2499EB-40MM) with the appropriate PoE injector. 1 way audio capability for capturing audio.
    • Dedicated MacBook Pro that lives on a desk to run as a print server, seedbox, etc. Older model, but functional enough. Battery is holds a charge poorly at this point so it stays plugged in constantly.
    • An older NAS (WDMyCloudEX2) that isn't used for anything right now. Has 2 x 1TB drives in it: WD Reds.
    • A decent router with 5 ethernet ports.
    • The workstation and router will be approximately 40-50 feet away from the position of the entrance camera, and I currently have enough ethernet cable to span this.

    WHAT WE WANT THE SYSTEM TO DO

    • Utilize an open source virtual NVR like Shinobi.
    • Record any activity (with audio) from the front camera based on motion detection (don't need human detection, any motion starting recording would be fine).
    • Keep any recorded footage for a specified period of time, automatically overwriting the oldest footage to maintain space on hard drives.
    • Monitor in real time via a live feed via a desktop and mobile app.
    • Have some kind of alert in an app or text/email when motion is detected.
    • *BONUS* Share real time feed as live webcam view (this might be for a different camera in the future with a similar field of view of the downtown street).
    • *BONUS* Set recording lengths based on time periods (i.e. Record longer clips when motion is detected between 8pm–4am, etc).

    FUTURE PLAN/CONSIDERATIONS

    • Add a PoE camera at the rear entrance beneath a pair of motion-activated lights and wire this into the same router/computer/NAS setup. Doesn't have to be another turret camera, it could be a bullet or dome style.
    • Add a third camera on the side of the building, repeat above.
    • Add a speaker or 2-way audio capability to the entrance camera to speak delivery people, visitors, etc.

    That's about it, any tips or previous experience from anyone on a setup like this? Best practices? Any "pro tips" from your experiences?

    submitted by /u/papercrate_amr
    [link] [comments]

    Locating DSC wiring/sensors

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 10:23 AM PST

    Hello, we moved into a house with a DSC PC1832 panel with all the wiring and sensors on the doors and windows set up already. At the risk of sounding dumb, where are these wires embedded? In the door and window frames? I don't see any signs of sensors just from inspection

    I'm wondering because my deck door is a little loose and when it gets windy the door wiggles a bit and triggers the alarm. I'm looking to fix the door but not sure if that'll screw up the wiring in any way

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/timoseewho
    [link] [comments]

    Having a hard time finding cameras/doorbell camera compatible with our 5Ghz WiFi network. Suggestions?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 09:01 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment