• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 24, 2020

    Home Improvement: I replaced my hot water heated a few years ago and it occurred to me that there must be some kinda maintenance I should be doing. Uh...is there anything I should do?

    Home Improvement: I replaced my hot water heated a few years ago and it occurred to me that there must be some kinda maintenance I should be doing. Uh...is there anything I should do?


    I replaced my hot water heated a few years ago and it occurred to me that there must be some kinda maintenance I should be doing. Uh...is there anything I should do?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 02:00 PM PST

    Thanks a lot for the info guys.

    submitted by /u/ballsackee
    [link] [comments]

    What am I supposed to do my tree encroaching to next door neighbor?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 05:14 PM PST

    I know the obvious answer would just be "trim it" but I'm a first-time homebuyer and just not sure due to the size of the tree. For reference, we have no HOA.

    So I just bought this house and we have a somewhat large tree on our front yard. Parts of it hang above the neighbor's property. I often see a nice retired couple keeping up with their yard and it seems like they're having to pick up some of my leaves and branches on their property. The reason why I'm not sure about just "trimming it", is that it's large enough that I can't really trim it enough to not be over their property. I would just need to not have the tree at all (?). Obviously, I'm also not sure about just completely removing a matured tree neither.

    So what should I do? Some options I thought of are:

    -Get rid of tree (don't really want to honestly. Might also need approval from the city)

    -offer to help pick up leaves/branches on their property? (do people really do that?)

    -Trim the tree like crazy and make it look funny

    -I don't know?

    submitted by /u/Main-Phrase9902
    [link] [comments]

    Old smoker's house

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 05:58 PM PST

    We're looking to buy a house that a smoker lived in for 50+ years. We were made aware there's something called 3rd hand smoking. Apparently if you smoke in the same place long enough the smoke seeps deep into the structure and will leech out over time. Just wondering how difficult it would be to get rid of it, and if it'd be detrimental for our health to live in even after we do necessary repairs. Are the repairs simple as slapping on some paint and possibly replacing the flooring? Or should I expect to replace drywall and insulation as well?

    submitted by /u/Sugar_Toots
    [link] [comments]

    I want to remodel my master bathroom. Where do I start? (Huntsville, al looking for mentor)

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 06:12 PM PST

    I'm not a very handy person, but I'm willing to learn. I'm mostly a hands on learner. Is there someone in Town willing to show me the ropes? I can compensate you for your time as we go :)

    submitted by /u/bloomingbroccoli
    [link] [comments]

    Painters tape ripped off paint and a layer of green drywall paper. What did I do wrong?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 08:03 PM PST

    So we're in the middle of a major house renovation. Overall, the contractor has done well, however we've had to have a couple talks about quality evident shortcuts.

    Today, I was going to mount a towel bar in the bathroom. The drywall on this wall was the kind with the green paper. They painted a week or so ago. This morning, I placed a strip of painters tape on the wall, placed a level over it, and drew a level line on the tape. I then used this line to Mark the holes for my towel bar. After drilling the holes for my anchors, I peeled off the tape....along with a huge chunk of paint. Leaving behind a fuzzy green section where there used to be paint. The back of the tape was also fuzzy and green.

    I assume that the paint soaked into the green board and bonded with the paper, which then caused it to be weaker than the tape adhesive?

    What has gone wrong? Did the contractor skip priming the green board maybe? Something else? I have used painters tape for probably 15+ years without issue.

    submitted by /u/dieseldork03
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy Fence Sticker Shock: $3700 for 115’ L-section and no gates. Too high or fair estimate?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 01:32 PM PST

    Currently getting estimates for a 6' wood dog-ear standard privacy fence. It's a L-section with no gates/hardware/etc.

    The first quote came back at $3700, significantly more than I was expecting. My own estimate was based on Google research of $15-30/linear foot (labor+materials).

    The quote shakes out to $32/ft which is more than even the maximum typical project cost (according to Google).

    Does this seem like a fair quote? Was told it's a 1.5 day project for the contractor.

    And I am NOT DIY savvy enough to do the project myself. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/JerryGaryLarryLenny
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid question on lag screw/bolt and plastic anchor

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 07:22 PM PST

    So this came with a wall mount pull-up bar...

    https://imgur.com/a/Vh5soX7

    And I assume that the lag screw is meant to be fastened to a wall stud. So why the plastic anchor? Is that anchor a masonry anchor? I can't imagine supporting a pull-up bar on just drywall is a very good idea

    submitted by /u/neuromancer88
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior brick sopping wet to the touch after rain (in covered areas)

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 04:08 PM PST

    This is probably another stupid question but I really have no one to ask and it's proving difficult to Google.

    Just purchased a 1950s house with painted (ugh, I know) brick veneer. I saw pics of the house from 2012 and it was painted the same back then too, so I know this isn't some recent thing. It's actually held up quite well, so they must've done it "right"

    Anyways today is the first time it's rained since we moved in. I was outside poking around after the rain and I noticed the brick was sopping wet. Like if I slapped my hand against it, it sounded like slapping a shallow puddle. It was like this all over the exterior of the house, but what got me thinking (worrying, lol) is that it was equally wet on the covered patio and covered entrance. Right next to the wet brick was bone dry painted wood paneling. So that got me really wondering...

    Is this some sort of issue? Does the moisture just stick to the brick or something from out of the air? If it wasn't clear, the brick is sopping wet in places where it could not directly rain on. I did go around every square inch of the house interior and confirm there was no moisture penetration. I also know there's no cracks on the rolled asphalt roof (was just walking it the other day,) and the soil level is right where it should be.

    Im probably worried about nothing, but when you know nothing and don't know what's normal, it's hard not to.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AnImportantScratch
    [link] [comments]

    I messed up and tossed moth balls into attic, help!!!!!

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 10:15 PM PST

    I was told by a neighbor to use them to get the last squirrels we had out of our attic. I foolishly didn't look up how bad of an idea this is. After 30-50 minutes my wife and I knew I fixed up. So at 8pm last night I got my 3m respirator, full zip up suit and went with gloves and a trash bag and for 45 minutes picked up what I think was All of them. Aired the whole house out for 2 hours. Went to bed with all the windows open.

    It's 1am now and I woke up with a dizzy feeling which I know is from the moth balls. So either I missed a bunch of them or I need to do something. I'm hoping it's just the bedroom window is right under the vents for the attic to outside,Sofet? And the wind is blowing it into my face.

    Regardless I know if it's that strong to wake me up. I need to do something else tomorrow asap.

    My house is small 1080sqft so it really smelled badly when the whole box was up there. Luckily my attic doesn't cover the entire house and the living room and dining room aren't effected now with them removed. Just our bedroom which is the area I tossed them to as that's where the squirrels were getting in.

    Help!!?

    submitted by /u/spike_africa
    [link] [comments]

    Messed up by putting dry ice down stainless sink. How screwed am I?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 08:46 PM PST

    Like the title says. I'm an idiot and absentmindedly threw dry ice in the sink without thinking. I've ran some warm water through it to get it to melt but idk what the damage truly is.

    Should I just have a plumber come out and have a look? Definitely doesn't have the same "stainless steel" shine to it.

    submitted by /u/Dandelion180
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven / Rising Floor Joists

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 03:39 PM PST

    Hi:

    I'm repairing/replacing a few joists in a very old rowhome in the Mid-Atlantic and then gluing and screwing a new plywood subfloor, underlayment and then engineered hardwood over that.

    Third floor is complete, turned out pretty good and with some repairing/sistering/shimming pretty flat.

    However, on the second floor I've run into a problem with a questionable addition (done lord knows when, but a very very long time ago). The "reference floor", which 70% of the 2nd floor is even with, is about 2 inches lower than the back of this addition. So it slopes UP roughly 2" over a 10'-14' foot span.

    Just so you know what you're looking at in the picture, the laser level is 2" above the joist, but is even with the bottom of the brick in the background.

    I have no interest in shaving joists, they are old school true 2" by 8" beams, which leaves me with (in my unimaginative head) either A) making the slope as evenly rising as possible, or B) creating a 2" step near the doorway and leveling the whole room.

    Anyone run into issues like this and if so, what did you do to solve? All ideas welcome. Thanks!

    Side note: yes there is water rot on a few joists that I'm replacing.

    Rising Floor Picture

    submitted by /u/PancakeJamboree302
    [link] [comments]

    Buying shipping/storage containers...

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 03:57 PM PST

    Has anyone on here gone this route for a quicker/cheaper way to get extra storage area or a workshop? How did your process go? Did you save enough money to make it worth the project?.

    My idea is to get 2-3(possibly 4) of those 40ft containers. Have 1 or 2 of the buried and then use the remaining 1-2 as a top/above ground level. It would be used for mostly storage and as a small indoor shop. The bottom ones would be connected and as much open Floorplan as possible with a simple staircase and then the top floor would be an indoor workshop. I would be do all of the interior work myself (framing, electrical, simple drywall, nothing fancy.

    If it makes any difference, this is in middle/southern GA My goal would be to have it done under 60k if possible.

    submitted by /u/KryptopherRobbinsPoo
    [link] [comments]

    Previous homeowner lied as much as possible and we're trying to make asbestos it. The best of it*

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 08:54 AM PST

    I'm at my wits end. House was built in the 70s in Quebec. Previous homeowner bought it in the 80s.

    Examples of his lies:

    1. The roof was redone in 2013 (multiple quoters were OFFERING to testify in court. Turns out the receipt he showed us was for the detached garage roof, not the house. Roof was at end of life and had to be replaced before winter)
    2. Never had a mouse infestation (house was severely infested when we moved in)
    3. The tenant in the basement apartment would be compensated to vacate the premises before closing day (he was still living in the house, smoking like a chimney and doing drugs, so it was our problem to evict him, the tenant was awful and threatening us)
    4. No water damage (We determined this was a lie almost instantly due to basic renos)
    5. No asbestos.

    I'm an idiot. I started ripping up the old sheet vinyl in the closet of my toddler's room, and the linen closet. It had already been half ripped up and was a big eyesore. It also smelled of cat urine so my plan was to rip it out, clean, and zinsser the crap out of it. My dad told me to STOP IMMEDIATELY and get it tested. We're in the process of using our emergency savings to do the ridiculously overpriced tests.

    In the mean time, I'm losing my mind. I'm getting stuck in these internet tunnels reading about how I basically have to burn my house down, and we're all going to die. It breaks my heart that I'd have to throw out my child's favourite stuffed animals, all of his clothing, basically replace everything. And replace our whole linen closet too, my old baby blankies, everything is quite possibly ruined. I'm scared to even do laundry because it might affect our washing machine and spread everywhere. I just want to roll up in a ball in the corner. Ugh.

    Thoughts on this flooring? Any advice?https://imgur.com/a/EXc7DdX

    submitted by /u/johnnybravocado
    [link] [comments]

    Tough flooring choice in a new house

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 09:59 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I have a question that my wife and I need some help deciding. I hope this is the right place to ask.

    Some background, my wife and I are building a house in the Pacific Northwest USA through a builder that allows you to customize your home. Pretty common stuff. Anyway, thanks to covid and shortages, we've now had two of our flooring choices (it will cover the entry hallway, kitchen, and dining area), discontinued due to no supply. We're reselecting again and here's our dilemma.

    They've offered us a free upgrade from laminate to LVP since our first two options were discontinued. That sounded great at first until we realized that the choices of LVP - there are only two available - weren't fantastic. They're not our style and there is still one laminate that we like. Our question is, should we go for the higher quality LVP floor (free upgrade), and a color we don't necessarily love, or go with the lesser quality laminate in a color we prefer?

    Also background - we are a young married couple, probably going to start having kids next year and potentially a large dog someday. We do have a very goofy cat, but he's not likely to be an issue either way.

    Here is the laminate: https://www.cascadelaminateusa.com/product/laminate-hardwood-summit-bachelor-oak/

    And here is the LVP: https://www.cascadeevp.com/choice-collection/ - specifically the black walnut color, but I think it's all the same on that page otherwise

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/mseank
    [link] [comments]

    A good idear?: Hiding electrical wire behind baseboards

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 03:05 PM PST

    I'm installing new baseboards in a bedroom. A wire ran through the room, along the the old baseboards, from the air handler (inside the home) to the ac unit (outside the home). The wire was just sitting on the floor. I've went ahead and pushed the wire behind the baseboards into the expansion gap.

    See: https://i.postimg.cc/1t0v0P0n/IMG-20201124-082250.jpg

    https://i.postimg.cc/rp113jD7/IMG-20201124-082245.jpg

    Was this is a good or bad idea? Will the wire be cut (somehow) one day and I'll be forced to remove the baseboards?

    submitted by /u/Grahf0085
    [link] [comments]

    Paint roller or sprayer? Floors will be replaced

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 01:59 PM PST

    Hello all, I am doing some work in a house I will be moving into. I am going to be repainting the walls and redoing the floors. I've never painted a house before, so I'm looking for the best tools for the job. I have the luxury of being able to do some work before I will be moving in, so I am going to repaint, then refloor the place. Any tips, tricks, or equipment recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/trip4osu
    [link] [comments]

    Which dryer brand ?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 10:40 PM PST

    Which do you prefer for a gas dryer ?

    1:LG 2:Kenmore 3:Electrolux

    Thank you !!

    submitted by /u/MatteBawse
    [link] [comments]

    Running Water Line For Fridge

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 01:37 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I'm visiting my sister for thanksgiving and trying to help her with a project while I'm here. She doesn't have a water line to her fridge and unfortunately it's on the opposite side of the kitchen from the sink and dishwasher.

    My first thought was to go under the house and run a line there. Unfortunately it's a very tight fit under there and between the crawl space opening and the spot where the fridge is there's a drain pipe restricting me from crawling any farther.

    2nd thought is to run it through the attic and down the wall behind the fridge. I'm not worried about freezing as she lives in Austin. But, I'm not sure where the best place to tie it in to water would be. Sink is under a window so it wouldn't be easy to run the line to it.

    Any other ideas or things I'm not thinking of would be helpful.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mr_MacGrubber
    [link] [comments]

    Fire pit advice

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 01:25 PM PST

    We recently had a large custom stone, wood burning fire pit installed in the backyard. The inside and bottom are lined with fire brick.

    We love the fire pit the only problem is that it's too deep to radiate much heat to anyone sitting around it. Is there something that is safe for use in a wood burning pit that we can put in the bottom, on top of the fire brick, to raise the floor 6 inches to a foot? Would lava rock work and what are some alternative options? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Funbun32
    [link] [comments]

    Now what?? After what seems to be a poorly installed roof

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 08:39 AM PST

    New home owner. Living room has a vaulted ceiling with beams. When I bought the house I knew the roof would need replacement...so I did this fall with a reputable company.

    A month later the roof sprung a leak during a mild rain/sleet storm. Called the company, they came out and looked, and said I had ice dams and would require $2k of heat cables. Oh, and they can't put them in until spring.

    So I called around and a different roofing company came out to look and the guy was pretty incredulous that a brand new roof with the appropriate ice and water shield would leak. Also, we aren't even into winter yet...so how much ice (even if there were) could have formed. He recommended I call the other company back to force them to fix it...except the other company says it's a separate issue and won't do much more.

    Help?! What do I do now? I kind of agree with the second company...literally we had one day of freezing weather and I'm sure there was a little bit of ice, but to cause a brand new roof to leak?! How do I argue this with the first company to make them fix it????

    submitted by /u/chanel101010
    [link] [comments]

    Can old paint that was on a roller get on a newly painted wall when using it?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 04:44 PM PST

    Don't have a pic but with my roller covers I roll them through duct tape and get all the lint off. Painted my daughters room using an old roller handle that I thought was clean. Looked this morning and there looks like small pieces of dried paint which I am guessing came from the roller ends?

    submitted by /u/Significant-One1713
    [link] [comments]

    How to measure the quality of a deadbolt lock?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 05:40 PM PST

    I want to buy a good quality deadbolt lock (no plastic parts) I see them from $20 to $150 dollars. Should I just assume if I pay more, I'll get a stronger more secure lock?

    Should I go by brand? Or do all brands have deadbolt locks at different price points?

    submitted by /u/moshe4sale
    [link] [comments]

    Can efflorescence form on drywall, or would that have to be mold?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 07:07 PM PST

    Just wondering. Asking for a friend of a friend

    submitted by /u/Assignment_Pond
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas/tips for redecorating my room! ( 18F )

    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 09:02 PM PST

    Hi I have a fairly small room, not much space. But I do wanna make it cuter or prettier. I prefer minimal designs, and pastel decor! I however have no clue how! Im wondering if anyone can help? Including maybe paint colour recommendations ( and brand ) and places to buy decor under a certain budget!

    I also wanna ask, how much does it usually cost to redecorate ? I'm not gonna buy new furniture though, maybe just a plant, new paint, wallpaper maybe?

    Thankyou!

    submitted by /u/sad-angell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment