• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 17, 2020

    Home Improvement: 4 year old son decided to play a "prank" and flooded our upstairs bathroom. Water flowed down the vents and dripped into our HVAC system. Our power shorted out too. I've turned off the main breaker. Please help me figure out my next move.

    Home Improvement: 4 year old son decided to play a "prank" and flooded our upstairs bathroom. Water flowed down the vents and dripped into our HVAC system. Our power shorted out too. I've turned off the main breaker. Please help me figure out my next move.


    4 year old son decided to play a "prank" and flooded our upstairs bathroom. Water flowed down the vents and dripped into our HVAC system. Our power shorted out too. I've turned off the main breaker. Please help me figure out my next move.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:40 AM PST

    I'm a novice and only know basics. Money is extremely tight right now. Is there any possible way of fixing this myself, or am I SOL?

    submitted by /u/MissAriary
    [link] [comments]

    Putting a freezer in our Midwest garage - questions

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:39 AM PST

    So, my wife and I are thinking of getting a chest freezer for our detached garage. We live in Michigan and are rolling into a cold winter. I understand that you need a specially rated freezer to put into a garage, but I'm wondering about putting one in our garage.

    I see models that can go to 0 degrees. If the temperature dips below 0 degrees, which is the safe temperature to freeze food, would a freezer have a potential shut off to protect the compressor. If not, would it be advisable to power down the compressor (unplug the freezer) to protect it. Our garage should still be warmer than the outside, which rarely dips below -10 degrees, so would it be safe to put a freezer there?

    submitted by /u/thefirstlaughingfool
    [link] [comments]

    The builders we bought our house from installed the outdoor AC unit RIGHT outside our bedroom window. I'm desperate to reduce the noise.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 05:38 PM PST

    Hi, first of all, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I realize this is probably an odd request. This is our first home and we've lived here for almost 4 years. At first the AC noise wasn't that bad, it was actually kind of peaceful, like white noise. Lately, it's gotten very "hummy" though (I can't explain the noise exactly, but it's kind of like a fan blade may be out of alignment, and it is vibrating against some other metal part?? I'm very sensitive to frequency changes and whatever it is drives me insane). My husband and I have been sleeping on an air mattress in the living room for about 5 weeks now, waiting on an AC tech to come and service the unit, hopefully it just needs a good tune up and it'll be back to business.

    Just in case the tech can't actually fix the noise though, are there any ways to block the noise coming into the bedroom? The unit is about 2 feet away from our bedroom wall/window. Any tips or tricks on reducing the noise (short of moving the unit, which I'm wont to do out of desperation just so I can sleep peacefully again) would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/anonymoose_octopus
    [link] [comments]

    Clueless and worried about the unknown of home repairs.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 10:26 PM PST

    My first ever post. The only way we are able to do things is because of Youtube. I need help from someone in construction, contractor, etc. My family and I have been living in our house for 10 yrs.

    Our bedroom has one wall that has white bead boards on the first half of it with a ledge separating the top half of the wall and the bottom half where the bead board is on. We do not have a head board on our bed. I have recently started to notice when I move around and the bed touched/bumps the bead boards, there is a slight crackle sound. I eventually discovered that the bead board is separating/ungluing (?) from the wall. I didn't see it as a problem so we have let it be. Today i noticed that the paint is starting to peel off, it's oil base paint I believe. funny thing is that it's only in one area, not the entire bead board area. There are other spots where it's also separating but not as much as where the paint is starting to peel.

    I dunno what to do and this isn't helping my anxiety. Do we replace the bead board? Do we nail it down? Help me please.

    Greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/momwifetryinmybest84
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! Bar fridge slightly too tall for outdoor bbq bar wall!

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:03 PM PST

    We decided during COVID to spruce up our outdoor space and built a BBQ Bar out of Fortress Brick. The brick is supposed to be 8" tall. We did 4 rows of brick =32" tall...right?

    So we purchased a mini fridge to sit in the wall under the granite which was also 32" tall.

    EXCEPT.... the fortress wall brick is actually slightly shorter than 8" each and the refrigerator doesn't account for the hinge which makes it about 1" too tall for the brick.

    Granite is scheduled to be installed Dec 1.

    If we added another full layer of brick, it would be too tall for the BBQ. I cannot find a similar refrigerator with a true dimension of less than 32" tall. Cutting and installing a new row of blocks 1" tall would be a HUGE undertaking, as we would have to cut new blocks for the entire wall which is over 12' long.

    I'm looking for suggestions for anyone who has been in a similar situation.

    https://imgur.com/a/37PllWW

    submitted by /u/ImJustAGirl14
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about building permit?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:28 PM PST

    Hi all, first time home owner. I'm going to check with my contractor tomorrow to see if they pulled a building permit. I did not, totally slipped my mind (this is the first actual work we have had done to the house). They took out old paneling and are replacing with drywall. They are adding 4 recess lights (via an electrician) and put in a half wall. This is all mid construction. If they did not pull work permit, what is the best course of action? Halt construction? Or just get it inspected before painting etc.? How long do permits and inspection take for a job this size?

    submitted by /u/Mikejg23
    [link] [comments]

    Vulkem caulk hasn't cured after 3 weeks, my house smells

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 03:18 PM PST

    About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a contractor replace a few pieces of siding outside my office. It was just below a window where water had gotten in and damaged the siding (the windows have already been replaced).

    He told me used "a ton" of vulkem inside the wall cavity. Even though he installed the vulkem from the outside, I could easily smell it inside my office. It's been 3 or 3 weeks now and it still smells. Enough to be bothersome and even hurt my eyes a little.

    Does this mean it hasn't cured yet? Now that we are entering cold weather (I live in the Midwest USA) will it ever cure? Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/stillnet
    [link] [comments]

    Not planing on doing it anytime in the near future but (I don’t know if this is against the rules) I want to install a room full of small pools and streams how should I heat the water?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:16 PM PST

    I just want to have a room full of water features that I can swim in.

    submitted by /u/Warringtonschool
    [link] [comments]

    Microwave and wall duct fix?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:43 PM PST

    Hey folks,

    Ordered a new microwave and as all good DIY projects go, I have run into an issue. Turns out the original microwave was never properly lined up to the external wall vent ducting (see Imgur image). I'm wondering if anyone has run into this as well and if so, is it okay to knockout only one side of the back panel on the new microwave or do I have to knockout bother rear panels (in which case I imagine I would need to fix the ducting and that would be a pain).

    Worst case scenario, I will just vent via the front of the microwave and circulate it but that's definitely not ideal as I live in the PNW and prefer to keep condensation inside my home to a minimum.

    Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

    Thanks everybody.

    https://i.imgur.com/XeMt2Nv.jpg

    Off center wall ducting

    submitted by /u/ctodReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Unusual Striped Damage around a Carpet

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:42 PM PST

    Does anyone know what's going on with this carpet? This "striping" seems to go around all edges of the carpet (even in the closet). I've never seen anything like it and so far haven't found anything while googling. Both carpets are like this in the only two rooms with carpet in the house. Would like to know what the cause might be. This is on a house that we are purchasing and under contract on.

    Carpet Damage

    submitted by /u/buzzbuzz11
    [link] [comments]

    Replaced outlet wall plates, found holes in drywall around edges. How do I fill these?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 07:55 AM PST

    The previous outlet plates were larger than standard. When I replaced them I noticed holes in the drywall surrounding the wall plates. How can I fill these?

    Example photo

    submitted by /u/selines77
    [link] [comments]

    Basement stairs remodel!

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:53 PM PST

    It took me 4 days to transform our gross, dingy basement stairs into something I'm proud to share! There was much swearing and exacerbation over the number of staples used to secure carpet padding as well as how un-sticky the "peel and stick wallpaper" was but, in the end, it was worth the sweat!

    https://imgur.com/SLwgGxZ

    https://imgur.com/a/yg2SiNp

    submitted by /u/OhEmGeeRachael
    [link] [comments]

    Snaked our bathroom sink pipe, but now that it's put back together, the pipe is leaking.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:37 PM PST

    I should point out I know next to nothing about piping and whatnot. Our bathroom sink backs up often and we tried to snake it today (normally we just pull stuff out of the drain itself). We of course had to take the PVC U-pipe thing off to do this. Which uses two PVC things you tighten/loosen. Upon tightening it back up we ran the water and the pipe started leaking where the PVC pipe is. See picture.
    https://imgur.com/dBvSB3l

    I tried using this tube I found (see picture) of yellow stuff that goes on pipes. I know enough that you put it on the threading (right word?). I put it on and tightened it back up. But it still leaks. Not sure what to do. I should also not the tube had on instructions. So maybe I messed something up. Though still doesn't explain it leaking before.
    https://imgur.com/hzQdNpQ

    submitted by /u/zfreakazoidz
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Buying a Washer and Dryer and Help with Hoses Glued (?) to Valves

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:36 PM PST

    The Kenmore front-loading washer and dryer in the house have given out after about 8 years. I'm looking for help picking a new washer and dryer that can hopefully last longer, and I want to confirm that I need to book a plumber to change the hoses unless there is something obvious that I'm missing (the cold hose connected to the blue knob leaks at the valve and the black knob has a second hose that I probably won't need anymore https://imagebucket.io/uploads/5a664/). There is some plumbing putty ("glue") to attach all three hoses to the valves (I swear I didn't do this) and I have no idea how to safely remove the hoses without breaking something. I'm sorry I can't describe this better, I really give plumbers a lot of credit and I know I'm not describing things properly lol.

    I really appreciate the wisdom on this subreddit, I've read a lot of past posts about this question. I'm limited in my options so I want some feedback on my two most likely picks.

    I have looked into buying used, but it isn't an option for me because I would need help that I don't have at this time.

    The brands available in my area are GE, Maytag, Samsung, Amana (?), and Frigidaire. From what I've read, GE and Maytag seem to be the most reliable. I don't have a preference between top-loaders or front loaders, but it seems that top-loaders are more affordable and skips the mold problem that I would need to prevent with a front loader washer. Are top-loading washers more reliable too?

    I was hoping to get some feedback on these two options:

    1) GE 4.4 Cu. Ft. High Efficiency Top Load Washer & 7.2 Cu. Ft Electric Dryer - White

    2) Maytag 4.9 Cu. Ft. Top Load Washer & 7 Cu. Ft. Electric Dryer - White

    I appreciate the help in advance. I'm definitely not an expert and my mind is spinning trying to decide, so it really means a lot.

    submitted by /u/Dark_Link99
    [link] [comments]

    Protecting the wooden base of the cabinet from steam

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 07:09 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/5xRPxLA

    I use an instant pot in my kitchen. The problem is the above kitchen cabinet runs through the entire kitchen counter. It has some light in its base and is made of wood. I am worried that in the long run the steam from the pot will harm the cabinet and it may become an expensive repair.

    Please suggest some clever DYI ideas to protect the cabinet base.

    submitted by /u/sksum123
    [link] [comments]

    Sagging Beam in Garage

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:59 PM PST

    I have a sagging redwood beam in my garage that supports the roof. The beam is about 8' from the slab floor, and runs parallel to the roof peak, which sits about 5' above the top of the beam.

    Is there any code restriction (CA) to sandwiching the beam with flat-stock steel on each side (roughly the width of the beam,) jacking the sagging center back into place, and bolting through pre-drilled holes in the flat-stock to hold the beam in place?

    It would be stronger than the existing beam, it would correct the sagging. This would be much easier than removing and replacing the beam, but I want to make sure it won't cause a problem when selling in the future.

    submitted by /u/The-darth-knight
    [link] [comments]

    Tankless water heater constantly humming.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:56 PM PST

    My tankless hot water heater has been constantly humming for the past day. I feel like it started when we turned off the breaker to work on another house project. I don't think the tank is running but the exhaust motor. The system is only two years old and a rinnai. Do I need to call the installer or is there a trouble shooting I can try?

    submitted by /u/sillykitty
    [link] [comments]

    Lights in garage - what is this called?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:34 PM PST

    Hello,

    This is what I currently have in my garage: https://imgur.com/a/06W7NDh

    The lumen output is very minimal. How do I go from there to install a light socket? The hole is 8 in in diameter, and most light socket I find are 4 in. Eventually I was looking at installing that: garage flush mount light

    Which seems to have higher lumens output, and decent reviews, which would fit my needs in my garage without having to install additional lights.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Lssomething2
    [link] [comments]

    Crawl Space Rodent issue

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 10:16 PM PST

    Looking for advice on controlling/exterminating rats in my crawl space. I've had exclusion work done in he past but they are just digging under the foundation walls (crawl is a dirt floor). Does anyone have experience in adding a 'rat slab'? Is it effective or worth it? Or is my only hope periodic trap setting and checking?

    submitted by /u/timmorris82
    [link] [comments]

    I was tinkering with my wine fridge while it was laid down on its back with the power turned on. Now it doesn't work. Help!

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:57 PM PST

    I was working on adding LED lighting and had the fridge lying down at angle of about 30 degrees. I noticed the compressor making louder operating noises for a minute and then it just stopped completely. I continued working for about 5 more minutes before standing the fridge up again. I figured it would turn on, but it's not working. After a couple hours, I tried turning it on again. I heard the compressor hum for about 5 seconds before hearing a click (the relay?) and the compressor cut off.

    I had no idea that fridges needed to be kept upright, and I'm worried that the compressor oil has drained into the condenser coils or something. Please help me figure out what to do next. I have a multimeter if that will help with diagnosing the problem.

    submitted by /u/ninjaambassador
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy in shower that has a large window

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 03:45 PM PST

    We have a large window in our shower as seen here.

    As you can see it is rather large and spans from just above the waist all the way above the head. While it does have frosted glass that isn't see through, when showering you are standing a few inches away so in the evening people on the outside see a perfect silhouette of my man boobs and the outline of the wife's real boobs. I've watched enough stalker murder shows to not like this.

    Are PVC plantation shutters my only viable option to increase privacy? Was hoping to not drill holes in the waterproofed wall to fix the shutters in place but not sure what else to do. I think EVENTUALLY I would have the window resized when it comes time to redoing the siding on the house but looking for ideas in the meanwhile.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/NoThrill1212
    [link] [comments]

    SPC floor with deep faux wood grains? Is it going to be hard to clean?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:34 PM PST

    We are remodeling our kitchen and chose SPC flooring because one faux wood style happened to almost perfectly match the color of our real wood floors, and we couldn't find any good contrasting from the options we had.

    Well, the flooring is installed now and I just noticed how deep the grains are. Aesthetically it looks good but I'm wondering if it's going to be hard to clean. Has anyone had faux wood floor with deep grains? How was it cleaning wise? Do the grains tend to collect grime?

    submitted by /u/You_Yew_Ewe
    [link] [comments]

    Temporarily remove wrought iron bannister

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Greetings all, I need to remove our indoor wrought iron bannister to move some furniture between floors. I'm a complete novice with stairs and bannisters, so please excuse me, but do I need to completely unbolt the iron shoe from the floor to pull the bannister up, or can that remain in the floor? It looks like there is a little screw that I removed via allen key, but that didn't help my cause. Or does this just need a bit of elbow grease?

    https://imgur.com/a/mQGWN0e/

    submitted by /u/thedudeisnice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment