• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 18, 2020

    Home security: ADT regional manager insults me to try and convince me to pay for their services

    Home security: ADT regional manager insults me to try and convince me to pay for their services


    ADT regional manager insults me to try and convince me to pay for their services

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:14 AM PST

    So two evenings ago I had a supposed non-commissioned "Regional Manager" stop by cause we just bought our home and was trying to sell me on their system. He claimed supposedly that during closing on our home that the title company had mentioned he would stop by. I do not remember this being brought up but it is possible. Or...its just another way to get me to leave the door open for a few minutes.

    After a bit of talking I told him I wasnt interested and he stated "So protecting your family isnt worth much to you."

    I went OFF on the guy telling him how awful of a comment that is and their security system is not some magic bullet for guaranteed safety of my family. Fuck that guy, I will NEVER use ADT if they will employ a douche bag like that.

    UPDATE: Called my title company and they said there is NO WAY they give out our information to any companies and this dude must have just gone to the court house to collect all the names of people who just purchased property. Slimy move on his part.

    submitted by /u/Samwise_Gamgee1
    [link] [comments]

    Help brainstorm to catch a burglar

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 11:39 PM PST

    Hey all, I've got a situation my mum is in a different state and has had trouble with her neighbour.. we didn't believe her that someone was stealing things like wood, tools, small things around the yard until my sister moved a massive wood piece into the garden as a feature.. and I got a phone call from mum saying it was stolen. It needed 2 people to lift it! And the house is fully enclosed with a fence since then I've gone for visits and installed cameras but the yard is a decent size and can't capture it all. She has reported it to police but they can't do anything as we don't have proof. So I was thinking about getting a gps tracker and installing it into something they might take... looking for ideas on models that have plenty of battery life, live tracking and with voice recording. Also suggestions for what to put it in...i was thinking a pot plant or something easily taken and not too obvious... Thanks

    submitted by /u/Great_odinsraven
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Wi-Fi Camera with good Motion Detection

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 03:17 PM PST

    Howdy:

    Looking for recommendations for outdoor wi-fi cameras. I have a r/reolink Argus Eco with a solar panel currently.

    Issues I'm having with this:

    1. I can see already that solar wasn't a good way to go....several days of overcast and now I'm recharging the camera with an external battery pack. Camera needs to plug in...but not near an outlet so will have to extend the cable.
    2. Worst issue. The PIR motion detection is sub-par. It is rated at 30 feet, and doesn't really see that far. I'm coming from an old Uniden Guardian G755 which used pixel detection, and I'm finding PIR to be really disappointing. Reolink seems to be one of the only companies who actually publishes their PIR distance, so this is difficult to research. Are there modern cameras which still use the pixel/frame difference technique?
    3. Camera really needs to be Wi-Fi. It is mounted on a detached garage, aimed at the house. Running ethernet/PoE cables isn't a realistic solution at this time. I've added a Netgear Range Extender to the side of the house nearest the camera, and that seems to have given a nice Wi-Fi boost to the garage.
    4. 24/7 recording on a wireless NVR is possible, but I'm concerned any educated intruder would easily recognize it for what it is and simply take it with them. Downfall to SD recording is when they simply knock down the camera and take it with them. Best option I think is motion-activated upload to cloud so that intruder cannot eliminate the recordings. We are on very limited bandwidth DSL with .9mb upload..but this method does seem to work for one inside camera....hopefully adding more cameras to cloud upload won't overtax dsl. (no...my small western maine town isn't even wired for cable)

    That is a lot to read and digest. All thoughtful responses are appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/JobiWanKenobi1701
    [link] [comments]

    Car Battery Backup for Honeywell Vista?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 02:51 PM PST

    I have a Honeywell Vista 20-P, and was replacing my battery as part of standard maintenance, and instead of just changing the 12v 4-7ah battery, which only gives around a day of battery life, connecting a car battery or multiple 12v 7ah batteries in parallel should give me a longer life.

    I wanted to ask if anyone on the subreddit had done this with a Honeywell or DSC panel.

    I know that you have to wire in parallel to not increase voltage, and also have the right F1 terminal connectors.

    If you have done this, how long is the expected running time of the system on this battery?

    --

    I know that getting a whole home generator is the next step, but the pressure of the gas line to my house is a bit too low for a NG generator.

    submitted by /u/Westleydchen
    [link] [comments]

    Standalone camera for home

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 01:59 PM PST

    Hi all, since we moved into a new home we don't have any alarm system so I would like to install two cameras to cover front and back yard until our landlord put alarm system. What are you recommendations? I live in Ireland, so need something that I can order from EU. I have great network coverage all around house and yard so that's no issue. Also I have two windows where I can put cameras inside the house to cover both yards so that's also good thing, so they can be connected to power and network 24/7. I was thinking is there any standalone cam that can record and which I can access remotely to check videos and etc? Thanks

    submitted by /u/sashabcro
    [link] [comments]

    New to home security and having technical difficulties

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 05:40 PM PST

    I rent a room in a house and my live-in landlord has Lorex set up. He has the DVR connected to the modem, and his phone is connected to the system. I've seen the cameras in real-time on his phone, so I know it's all up and running. He purchased the system from CostCo sometime in the middle of the year I believe.

    I'm trying to set this up on my PC though and am having difficulty. Here's the info I do have:

    - Our model number: LHV16212

    - the device id

    - the password

    - the username

    - I have the option to connect my computer to our internet via ethernet cable or WiFi, not sure if that matters.

    I went to the model page on the Lorex website, scrolled down and dowloaded Lorex Cloud Client For PC. When I did so initially, and opened the program it asked me to create a password and some security questions, I assume that was for my own personal PC and not for my landlord's login, so I proceeded accordingly. When I went to add a device, I used auto-search. Our device did come up, but when I put in the username and password, if I remember correctly it told me I had incorrect login info. I've double checked with my landlord and the password and username are correct, but I will triple check after this to be thorough. So instead of auto-search, I tried adding the device manually. Didn't work either.

    I tried calling Lorex and the person informed me I needed to know these four things before calling back: model #, device ID, username and password. I only had the username and password at the time. I notice when I go to manually add a device, it asks for a device name. Is this the model # it's asking for? Because nobody from tech support said I need "Device name" using that exact wording.

    For "method to add" I chose the Device ID option instead of the IP/Domain option as I do not know that info. I notice the Device ID option says P2P, not sure if that's relevant. It also has port automatically filled in but I do not know what port means so I left that with the auto-fill.

    Anyway, it still didn't work. I tried multiple times and it always said it wasn't connected, invalid username or id, except one time where it just said it wasn't connected, with no reason.

    Today the technical support told me totally different things about how I need to know the firmware and IP Address (which I no longer know because now even the auto search feature doesn't show the device anymore). They also asked how the DVR was connected and I couldn't answer at the time but I now know it's via ethernet. They said a little more but I unfortunately was not able to fully comprehend because I am new to this and there was a language barrier.

    Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? I'm trying to bug my landlord about this as little as possible to avoid back-and-forth so I'm hoping I can get a concise list of all the information I need from him before calling back, so I don't have to keep doing this.

    Thank you for taking the time to read this, I do greatly appreciate it as I am honestly frustrated. Something valuable was stolen from me and it's possible the thieves live in our neighborhood, so I'm desperate to get logged in.

    submitted by /u/guacsolid
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I install the alarm cabinet?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 02:45 PM PST

    I'm going to DIY my install and I need to know where my alarm cabinet/controller is going. The reasonable choices are inside my main entryway closet (in conditioned space) or on the other side of the closet wall, which is the garage/crawl space.

    The upside of the hallway closet is that you have to break into the main house to mess with it, rather than just the garage. The upside of the garage is that it's less likely to be touched/disturbed by moving things into the closet or by curious kids.

    submitted by /u/toptaptip
    [link] [comments]

    Ring or simplisafe?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 02:23 PM PST

    I really wanted ring but no glass break detectors seems like a deal breaker. Simply has them but is more per month too. Does either service offer some type of free video storage for a few days if I ha e monitoring?

    submitted by /u/nickcasa
    [link] [comments]

    Best NVR?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 12:44 PM PST

    So I need to buy some security cameras for my home. Lady came over and nicked my dog this afternoon and it's in town so...needed some anyway and I've been putting it off.

    I've had some cheap systems in the past and this house is a lot bigger so all I know is that I want at least 8 inputs, maybe 16, PoE and a processor that's fast enough to satisfy my easily frustrated mind. Last two systems wouldn't scan back very far until hanging up and freezing or would lag interminably between clicks from the mouse etc. I want something that's snappy with enough storage for at least several day's worth of video, a week would be nice but I'm not sure storage for even 8 4+MP cameras is viable for a week.

    Decent nightvision, mounted outside, will run cables myself, they'll be about 20' off the ground for the most part so don't "need" voice etc unless maybe putting one 2-way on the back door.

    ONVIF sounds interesting and, being short on time, I guess I should just plan on going with it.

    I could probably start with the NVR and 3-4 cameras. Price? Always important but not vital. I'd like to stay below $500 but whatever, if you would buy something else worth more I'm open to learning some more but right now it's either the $199 walmart special or just buying the priciest Amcrest I can find and some cameras and hoping they work together.

    Help! Pretty please :)

    submitted by /u/metalski
    [link] [comments]

    Wire backup DSC battery

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 11:57 AM PST

    Can I wire back up DSC back up batteries in series so if power goes out I have a longer back up time?

    submitted by /u/Act_Front
    [link] [comments]

    Home CCTV Setup

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 11:08 AM PST

    I'm currently running 6 ReoLink IP cameras on a switch using BlueIris. Is there a budget friendly NVR solution that I can run? I'm looking for a standalone appliance. My main criteria is ease of use and remote viewing from other computers within the same network. A decent IOS app would be a plus but not required.

    My experience with cheaper NVR's from brands like Swann and NightOwl leaves much to desire on the reliability and desktop application.

    submitted by /u/AutoCrossMiata
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Safewatch 3000 Sensors Removed

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:38 AM PST

    Hello all. Quick question as I needed a little help. I have the Safewatch Pro 3000 installed (ADT) that is installed in my home. Zones 1 and 2 had my exterior doors connected to them. We just had the doors replaced and I will be monitoring them with a different system. However, I want to keep the rest of my system active (e.g. windows). To bypass "not ready" displayed and get the green light to show on the panel, can I jumper terminal 8/9 and 10/11 with wire? Do I need a 2k ohm resistor on the jumper?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    submitted by /u/MadEquinox
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to see status and monitoring disabling system?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 03:45 AM PST

    I have a home system already (panel is a DSC5516 and panel is PC1616). I want to be able to check that the system got enabled without having to go out to the panel. I also want to be notified if the system gets disabled during certain times (e.g. if someone turns the system OFF at 1 AM, let me know).

    I'm fine with keeping my current subscription. I can't tell what options would require me to dump my provider and set it up myself. I also have a SmartThings system that I would like to integrate with, but that's not necessary. For some of the solutions, it seems like the Smartthings trigger only occurs if the system is enabled/disabled through the app, but I want to know when the panel is changing the status. Or do I add a second panel that would beep in the master bedroom?

    submitted by /u/uncrustabill
    [link] [comments]

    Frontpoint without monitoring service?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:33 AM PST

    I'm purchasing a home that has a Frontpoint security system set up and the previous owners will be leaving it behind. I'm not interested in paying for the service (it's an extremely safe neighborhood, I work from home, etc) - will I be able to do anything at all with the hardware they leave behind, or is it essentially bricked without an active service?

    I'm sure I won't be able to connect to it from elsewhere but if it can still alert me to a water leak in the basement while I'm at home, for example, I'll keep it. If not, I'll ask them to remove it before closing.

    submitted by /u/rpi_cynic
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment