• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 10, 2020

    Home security: Looking for peoples opinions on what to get

    Home security: Looking for peoples opinions on what to get


    Looking for peoples opinions on what to get

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    Hello! So I am just getting my first home and I'm looking to get some home security. I am an apple guy and love working with homekit. (I have two homepods already and will probably be adding more). I am looking for cameras and maybe security system in the future. I am in between the abode system (because of homekit integration) and ring which I realize doesn't have that integration but I could live with it. Any suggestions or does anyone have any good feedback for me?

    submitted by /u/cantankerous_cow
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor POE Camera Cable Run - Question

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    So I'm just about done with my POE camera setup/install at my house, just have one more camera I want to place in my back fence corner, pointed towards the yard/house.

    This I my first time running any Cat5e outside so had a few general questions/ looking for advice.

    Here are 2 pictures Poe run of what I was thinking for the run.

    The blue is where the cat5e would be completely bare and not in a conduit. The red is where I would put it in the ground in a "Flexible non metallic PVC conduit" and the green is where the camera will go. The plan is to run it straight down the side of my house (from my attic) next to the gutter, use the conduit to go across the grass underground, then go up the fence behind the post and along the underside of the fence headers.

    I cannot run the conduit along the fence underground to the camera because I have multiple sprinklers/sprinkler lines on that path, which is why I reverted to running it along the fence. I was planning on using this cable that I have Cable which says its direct burial and weatherproof.

    QUESTIONS/CONCERNS: - Do you think this cable and the run I outlined will work alright and be safe?

    • can you recommend a better cat5e cable that may be better suited for this? Possibly one shielded with grounds?

    • is PVC conduit best for that short portion under ground? Or should I be using metal?

    I have done a bit of research and seen a handful of mixed reviews on grounding cat5e outdoors vs not. Leaving it exposed is fine vs. always run it in a conduit. Also a few comments about it being a fire hazard and a place lightning would likely strike.

    Any additional input/feedback on my potential setup would be very helpful. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/bjseph15
    [link] [comments]

    Anti code reset?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 02:18 AM PDT

    I just found out my system has this annoying feature, what is the purpose of it?

    I could understand if it wouldn't let you disable the alarm but it only stops you from arming it again? Am I missing something here, google tells me nothing?

    submitted by /u/cautionwaketurbule
    [link] [comments]

    Don’t like abode, now what?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    After plenty of research we decided to go with the abode home security system. We wanted something we could set up and monitor with our phones. We've been disappointed with the system for several reasons. One of the motion sensors picks up on motion only 1 out of 5 times we walk around in the room no matter where we place it. Both of our key fobs are unreliable, sometimes you push the button once and it works and other times you have to push it four times. The beeping when you turn the system on to arm it is terribly annoying, you have to listen to it beep for 10 seconds every time you arm it to home. We do like the idea behind the system but it just seems faulty. Is the ring system any better? Or another system you could suggest? We don't want to pay a monthly fee. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/hunbun93
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment