• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 28, 2020

    Home Improvement: Is caulk, other than 100% Silicone based, just a marketing gimmick?

    Home Improvement: Is caulk, other than 100% Silicone based, just a marketing gimmick?


    Is caulk, other than 100% Silicone based, just a marketing gimmick?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    I'm sealing a leaky window on the outside with 100% silicone and am wondering is there is a better product to use.

    I know you can't paint Silicone, but other than that is there any reason to go with a product that is not 100% silicone base? There are tons of caulk products that claim to be latest and greatest caulk on the market. However, is this all just marketing talk or are some of those products for real? I see 3M caulk products recommended a lot, for example.

    submitted by /u/bitttycoin
    [link] [comments]

    Hi reddit! Our water bill says we are using 32,000 gallons of water per month. I am pretty sure the toilets are not leaking, any idea what it could be?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    My boyfriend and I started renting a house for the first time 2 months ago. Our water bill is $200 and says we are using 32000 gallons of water per month. Our landlord said he contacted the city and they don't think we have a leak because they would have been notified. There is no way 2 people are using 32000 falling of water though!

    I checked all the toilets and the a/c but it all seems fine. What could be going on here??

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/konkeydong7
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade to Stainless Steel Railing

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    Full disclaimer, I don't weld as a professional, but I do occasionally weld as part of my job. A few months ago I made my wife a welded/wooden bookshelf after work, so I was able to justify spending money on a TIG welder as part of furniture making/home improvement. The first project out of the gate was a railing to replace the warped, poorly constructed wooden handrail we had that was rotting.

    https://imgur.com/a/Ue23TCe

    While metal isn't a medium commonly posted on reddit home improvement, maybe this will inspire you...or dissuade you from going down a similar path. This was the most expensive metal project I've done, mainly because it was made out 304 stainless steel. The metal alone cost $800 and I spent an additional $300 on a mistake in the design. I spent probably around eight hours in design, 24 hours on the fab, and two weeks frustratingly trying to figure out how to salvage the project.

    Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out, but I'm not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze. Much respect to people who do this for a living, surface finishing.

    submitted by /u/ZeroCool1
    [link] [comments]

    Toiletwater in the HVAC

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    Yup... you read that right. We had a shared toilet/washing machine drain pipe clog with resulting backflow over the toilet and shit/gray water on the floor.... with a HVAC floor vent in the spill zone. Ever since then, the vent/register in that bathroom has a bit of a musty gross smell, but it can also be vaguely noticed with your face in the other vents in the house. Its not noticeable when the heat is running, but only when the fan is not running.

    How screwed am I- any chance of clearing the smell if I climb in the crawl space and rinse out some HVAC ducting? Call a professional? Burn the house down?

    submitted by /u/westcoastsyndrome
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with sawdust?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    I had a tree shredded in my lot after it fell down due to some wind. My granddad wanted me to get the sawdust up, but when I went down and tried to shovel it up and it's a burden. The property is 5-acres, and the sawdust is nowhere near the road or the house. Just in the back corner of the property. I took some off the top and then just smoothed out the rest of the pile to make it flat. Can I leave the sawdust there?

    submitted by /u/swervosuave
    [link] [comments]

    Mysterious scraping sound - any ideas?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Hi, hoping some more experienced homeowners might have ideas for how to solve this mystery. About 2 years ago I moved into a 4-story condo building in the SF Bay Area on the top floor and have recently been bothered by a fairly loud scraping sound that occurs semi-frequently throughout the day. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be the cause that I can ask the HOA to fix? Here's some clues:

    • Sound: The scraping sounds a lot like furniture being moved upstairs (but I live on the top floor!) or the sound an aluminum water bottle makes when pushed across a glass table. It's a short sound, maybe about a second long.
    • Timing: The sound seems to happen mostly (exclusively?) during the daytime and spaced pretty far apart. I also think it's seasonal since I didn't really notice it during the summer, but I can't say this for certain and this might just be my poor memory or a coincidence.
    • Location: It is audible from all parts of the condo and when I talked to my downstairs neighbors (who live on the second floor), they say they hear the sound too and thought it was us moving our furniture around but it's definitely not. It sounds like it's coming from above, and when I held my ear to the wall the squeak was especially audible suggesting it's getting carried along one of the channels in the wall (water pipes?).
    • Things I've already checked: Given the metallic sound, we suspected our bathroom extractor fans being rusty, but after replacing the fans and testing+greasing the metal door-flap-thing are pretty confident it's not the extractor fans. Since it sounds like it's coming from above, I also went to the roof to listen for the sound (we have some machinery/pumps on the roof) but couldn't hear anything resembling the sound even when my roommate said it was audible several times inside our apartment.
    • Probably unrelated: A separate mystery in our apartment is that our master bathroom bathtub often dumps out gray/brown-ish water when it's set to hot and needs to run for quite some time before it runs clear again. We don't take baths in this tub (there's a separate shower) so haven't bothered to fix it, but figured I'd mention it in case there might be a connection between this other mysterious symptom.

    That's what I know so far, any insights based on that evidence or further investigation you'd recommend I do? Much appreciated so I can get my peace & quiet back!

    submitted by /u/wyatt_halliwel
    [link] [comments]

    What is everyone using for under cabinet lighting?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    Redoing our kitchen, looking to put in some under cabinet lighting under our uppers. I thought soing some rgb lights would be fun with the little kids but thats not necessary. Anyone have any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Random_User_81
    [link] [comments]

    Backyard fence privacy ideas

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Hi all! I have been loving this subreddit as we work through projects at our new home, so thank you!

    We have some fencing (as pictured in there links below) around our backyard and pool and are looking to add something to add a little more privacy. I have already seen the neighbor kids peering through the fences... not a huge deal but would like a little more seclusion.

    Any ideas for doing this without building a new fence, perhaps adding some screening or something, would be greatly appreciated!

    Photos: https://ibb.co/HNk8R0K https://ibb.co/NFh2pFT

    submitted by /u/howcouldinot23
    [link] [comments]

    Damaged flooring

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    I damaged my floors moving some furniture.

    https://imgur.com/a/FSAuMFu?

    Whats the best way to identify the brand of laminate flooring or how do I go about repairing this flooring?

    submitted by /u/everettdragon
    [link] [comments]

    Epoxyshield Garage Flooring Coating

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm looking to refinish and paint my garage and looking for an affordable option (tile flooring is a bit expensive), as I have 360sqf to cover.

    I found this product as it aligns with my pricing well., and the reviews seem really good - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/epoxyshield-garage-floor-coating-in-gloss-grey-7-1-l-covers-up-to-500-sq-ft-/1000737492

    My garage currently appears to have been painted in the past (about 90% of it), the other 10% is untouched concrete slab. Would the above product stick well with previously treated concrete? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kramer9797
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on structure and design of this garage shelving unit

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    I'm building a shelving unit in a garage that will mostly hold standard sized totes and boxes. I've measured the height and width of the shelves to fit the space. Just looking for feedback on the structure I've designed below.

    • Wall is cinderbock, so I will be anchoring the vertical 2x4s that are against the wall with Tapcon screws
    • I'm using 1/4" OSB for the shelves, which is why I added support under each shelf. Not sure if this is required?
    • Do I need additional support anywhere? I originally had a 4th vertical 2x4 supporting the left shelves, but removed it as I feel there is enough support from the cross pieces. I will also tie these shelves into that leftmost vertical support.

    Open to any feedback - thank you!

    https://imgur.com/a/kUHLgb7

    submitted by /u/spydersl
    [link] [comments]

    Leveling a heavy dresser on carpet

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 04:32 PM PDT

    I bought a used dresser that is tilted back quite a bit. I suspect this is due to the weight of the large attached mirror causing the back to sink more into the carpet than the front. The dresser is supported by floor contact all the way around the front and sides, but does not contact the floor in the back.

    I was considering putting some shims under the rear corners but I suspect they might just sink into the carpet without doing much and might even damage the floor with so much weight on a single point. Would it be worthwhile cutting my own triangular blocks of wood to smoothly shim the entire side rails, or is there some other recommended solution?

    submitted by /u/itsmekirby
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling hairline cracks

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:38 PM PDT

    So, I got an issue at home. I got some hairline cracks in the ceiling. They were covered twice already and they appeared again. Anyone has any solutions? https://imgur.com/a/hfmv2D5

    submitted by /u/christiansierra
    [link] [comments]

    Advice Needed

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    Our AC works fine; however, a year or so ago, the fan would no longer run unless the heater or AC is on. We live in an interior townhouse unit, which only has E and W facing windows. Air movement is super important. We live in Arizona, and this time of year, it can be in the 50s at night, with all windows open and ceiling fans on, it will still be in the low 70s or upper 60s inside, and the air gets stale. Drives me nuts.

    We replaced the thermostat: no change. We then had an AC guy come out (via our home warranty). He said the unit is fine, it must be wiring, and he wouldn't cut into drywall. We then had a repairman out for a separate concern, who used to be an electrician. He offered to test the wire and said it was fine: must be the unit itself, but another unrelated wire was bad.

    My question is... what do we do? Who do we call next?

    submitted by /u/MasterBallsCK
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for whole house generators?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    I purchased my first home in a new community and since I fully plan to work from home forever, I want to have a generator installed to make sure I'm covered in the event of a power outage. Here's where my head is in terms of what I think I want:

    1. I have quite a bit of IT gear that will be connected to some dedicated circuits
    2. Need something sufficient enough for the house
    3. Preferably one that will switch on automatically & off once power is stable (assuming that's a thing)
    4. Powered by Natural gas

    Are there any reliable resources out there that have done extensive reviews of generators? What about capacity planning?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/juliuspiv
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix rotten floor

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/xsiV1Ml

    I noticed some water around the base of my toilet the other day. Very slight leak somewhere. Added "change wax seal" to my to do list and kept on with my life.

    Today I happened to be in my crawl space filling gaps with Great Stuff to keep our bugs and mice and I noticed all of the mold and rot found in the pictures. And it's right under that leaky toilet I noticed a few days ago. Obviously this has been going on for some time now.

    I don't even know where to start to fix this or who I need to contact to have it repaired if it's out of my league (I'm pretty handy around the house. Moderate woodworker, just finished a retaining wall and patio, built a deck, etc.).

    Would the be a job for a flooring contractor? Plumbing? General contractor?

    Also what kind of price point am I looking at? $500 or $5,000?

    Just had to shell out some coin to fix my garage door. Oof, the 2020 hits keep coming...

    submitted by /u/Charmandazard
    [link] [comments]

    Basement waterproofing

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    Hello all.

    Need some guidance if anyone has it. We bought a house in February of this year and have noticed basement water issues in our finished basement. We've had a couple companies out for estimates on water proofing. The range of estimates go from a full interior French drain system with a sump pump ($20k) to a Safe Drain system that sits on the footer with a sump pump which is considerably cheaper. Some videos online say the wall gutter system that sits on the footer is garbage and should not be used. Anyone have any experience with those?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/xdojox
    [link] [comments]

    Furnace disabled after inspection

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have a contractor coming to inspect the furnace in my house and I was hoping I could get some information before they come. The house was purchased recently and the natural gas furnace is currently shut off, with a tag on the gas valve saying that the furnace is in unsafe condition.

    The only note on the tag says "vent term 3' above cooler." I went up and looked and it does indeed look like the exhaust vent is about 3 feet from the swamp cooler.

    Would that be a reason why they would disable the furnace? Note that the furnace and the cooler will not be on at the same time, for obvious reasons.

    This is the only documentation I can find as to why the furnace was shut off. I'll see what the inspector says as well.

    submitted by /u/Smelly-Wiener
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-Hung Interior Doors Are Sold Out Everywhere - Any Tips??

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    FTHB here, and wanting to do a number of renovations including replacing the plain / no trim, horribly painted, white interior doors in the home. We probably need 10 doors total (room doors and closet doors) We close in 2 weeks. I've scoured the big box stores like HD and Lowe's and all the regular $150ish pre-hung doors are sold out at every location, and no ship to store or home option available.

    • I signed up for email alert once they come back in stock, but assuming it's nit anytime soon, I wanted to see if you guys had suggestions on what to do. We'll be painting the walls too, and wanted to replace doors before painting the walls.

    Sorry forgot to add - pretty much every local shop closes at 5pm, and is not open on weekends. So kinda tough to take off work, to go door shopping.

    submitted by /u/Stayincalifornia2k20
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical electrical outlet spacing

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    I know NEC code requires a minimum of 6 ft spacing between outlets along the floor line, but no mention of vertical spacing.

    I want to add an outlet on a wall 1 ft above desk so I can plug in my electronics comfortably without adding extension cords or surge protectors.

    There is already an outlet below desk at about 1 ft from floor. The new outlet will be 42 inch from floor.

    Is this acceptable?

    submitted by /u/olivesnow
    [link] [comments]

    Combine junction boxes for switch/plug

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    I have a light switch and a plug in my kitchen. The switch controls the overhead light. As pictured it doesn't accommodate covers very well. Is it possible to combine these two boxes into one? photos

    I'm also planning to swap out the plug for the other type that's better for kitchens. (CGI is it? )

    submitted by /u/rachelm920
    [link] [comments]

    Rats in the attic

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    I'm currently renting a house and have a pretty great landlord - we pretty much don't hear from him, but he's super responsive when we alert him to various issues beyond our expertise. We've recently identified that we have rats in the attic. I have no idea how long they've been there, but I'm guessing this isn't a new thing. I've heard some small noises here and there over the past few months, but didn't really think anything of it. The past few days was incredibly noticeable - there's a lot of activity and it sounds like they're dragging things and are also in some of the walls.

    Anyway, the landlord is already covering pest control, so we had them come out yesterday, and they've confirmed that these are indeed rats and set a few traps. I'm too chicken to poke my head in the attic (especially while they're actively running around), but I'm concerned that they've been nesting in the insulation. Once things start getting under control, I'll have to bite the bullet and take a look (currently concerned a rat will jump on my face).

    This might be a stupid question, but is there anything that we should check for, besides insulation, when we go up to determine the extent of the damage?

    submitted by /u/lallaallaallal
    [link] [comments]

    Had a power outage with probable damage to electrical. Safest way to restart power to check?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    Oklahoma has some record ice storms the past two days, including where I live. Power went out at 10am in my city. Around that time, a branch fell and knocked my weatherhead off my house and downed my line into my side yard. We called the power company but they just took note and didn't come see it.

    Power came back on at 5am and woke us up. I heard some pops that I think were my surge protectors going off and smelt that burning electric smell in the house. I frantically unplugged everything I could and we called the power company again. This time they came abd disconnected our line.

    Tonight we got an electrician out and he repaired our weatherhead and line. We turned the power main off at the box and in the panel on our house. The power is still out in my area and we still have to wait for them to reconnect.

    My question is, what is the safest way to turn our power back on?

    submitted by /u/Ashmeadow
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment