• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    Home security: Someone leaving dog treats on my driveway

    Home security: Someone leaving dog treats on my driveway


    Someone leaving dog treats on my driveway

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    Hey, I've never visited this sub, nor have I ever had an issue like this before, so I hope this is in the right place.

    Over the past few days my family has found a handful of broken-up dog treats on our driveway. Our driveway is around 20m long, and we've found the first lot halfway up it, and the second lot near the road-end of it. They're pretty standard dog treats, a brand that we give to our dog on regular occasion. We've found the treats over a series of a few days, but I think they were all put there at the same time, as the treats which were picked up later show signs of decomposition.

    I don't really know what the deal is, but it seems unlikely that two broken-up dog treats have coincidently landed on our driveway like that.

    I'd deeply appreciate advice anyone has to offer, and I'd particularly appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction in regards to setting up a camera or something similar. I live in Australia, if that's significant.

    Thanks in advance, sorry if I sound paranoid.

    submitted by /u/SlaveMasterBen
    [link] [comments]

    Does a GPS need to be moving for a Gps detector to detect it?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    New Lorex system cameras not connecting

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    So I've been a Lorex client or quite a while. I just recently bought a new house, and with it, a brand spanking new Lorex Fusion 4K N842 based system, along with four E892AB cameras I ran brand new ethernet lines (6 & 6A). My network tester reports all lines functional. They all feed to a Netgear GS108PE switch, which is powering the cameras. The first camera install went perfectly. The next two... both are powered, but neither are connecting to the network. I don't get it? One, I could write off to some weird fluke. But two? And the cameras *are* powered and responding to motion. They're just not connecting to the network in any way.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/hamhead
    [link] [comments]

    Garage door openers with apps (smart garage doors)

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    I need a new one but I can't think of a good reason to get a smart one. It just seems like a weak link allowing someone smarter than the door opener to gain access. Yet they're so popular?

    submitted by /u/Spangler928
    [link] [comments]

    Has Anyone from the Northeast US used Alarm New England?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    We're lining up and alarm system for our new house and it's currently between Alarm New England and Simplisafe. SimpliSafe is the cheaper option, especially if we want to be contract-less but looking at this subreddit Alarm New England is using much better equipment(IQ2 controller and DSC power g series window/door contacts and motion sensors). I also actually consider professional installation a plus (I don't want to get this wrong)

    It seems like they fit the bill of the advice I've been seeing on this sub of "use a local company with Alarm.com equipment" but wanted to see if anyone has a strong enough personal recommendation to justify the cost difference

    submitted by /u/insomniac2846
    [link] [comments]

    Deleted clips

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:01 AM PDT

    My wife and I have ADT pulse installed for about a year or so now. However, recently we have been having marital problems and I've noticed there are clips being deleted in the early hours of the morning while I'm out of town for work. She unplugged the garage camera a week ago and I said nothing about it but I plugged it back in before work. And now a day ago she pulled into the driveway at 12:16 A.M. and a truck pulled in behind her. The clip wasn't long enough for me to see the person exit. However, a notification on the kitchen camera stated that a clip was deleted (by her) 5 mins later and that it "went offline" around 4 A.M. From the garage you have to enter the kitchen or the front door which also has a camera. Hence my suspicions. Is there anyway, shape, or form that I can find the deleted clips?

    submitted by /u/egoldbergman
    [link] [comments]

    Best all-in-one diy solution?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    I'm so frustrated trying to find a diy system that does it all well. I'm really interested in DIY systems, but none of them from what I research seem to be great at everything. I currently started off trying to go cheap by getting these Wyze cams and Wyze sense sensors. I've had tons of headaches with them though being unreliable. Constantly disconnecting requiring resets. I guess you really do get what you pay for sometimes! Are there any systems that really do it all really well? I hate the idea of having some gadgets from Ring, some from Simplisafe, some from Nest, etc etc. That gets to be way too cumbersome and hard to keep track of.

    submitted by /u/Lanky-Performer8849
    [link] [comments]

    Best upgrade or replacement for old, wired ADT/Brinks system

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/E3ke6vT

    Bought a home that has this system installed and is monitored by ADT. Is there a good replacement for this that would allow me to use the wired sensors already installed throughout the house, or should I just disconnect them all and go with an easy-to-install wireless system? I'm looking for something that can be monitored, managed from a mobile app, smart home integration & door/window open chimes.

    What would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/shawncberg
    [link] [comments]

    PoE Custom Setup

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:47 PM PDT

    Hello! My vehicle has recently been involved in a hit & run and the Police aren't willing to do much since there weren't any cameras to record the incident.

    Having done some research, I'm pretty comfortable with what I've found, but I have run into a couple of snags that I would appreciate some advice on.

    Here's the setup (I haven't purchased anything yet - was hoping for a second opinion): - Lorex D841A82B DVR - Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW Cameras - TP-Link TL-SG1005P Switch

    I live in an area that the HOA is pretty strict about external modifications to building structures, so I'm not certain that I'll be able to externally mount cameras.

    All that being said, here's my questions: 1) Assuming that I can't mount these cameras outside, will they perform decently well through a window? 2) None of the cameras will cover the front door - is there a wireless doorbell (I can't seem to find one) that will integrate into the DVR? 3) I don't need 4+ cameras - which is why I was piecing parts together rather than buying a kit. Would there be an advantage to just getting a kit?

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/motleyblondie
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any wireless outdoor floodlight/camera combos that are bright?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    I had looked into the Arlo floodlight/camera combo but it looks like I'd need to buy the solar panel and expensive proprietary charging cable to make it work well.

    Plus the floodlights seem like they are not user replaceable.

    Does anyone have any other recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Helllllothereeee
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Camera recommendations?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    I recently got my house wired with Cat6 and I made sure to have two runs to each exterior corner of the house. I have everything coming into an AV closet with a managed switch with 8 PoE ports.

    I also have a Windows box I use for media/gaming and a Linux file server that are on pretty much 24/7 and connected to the network.

    I've been looking at Hikvision and Axis. I had 3 hikvision bullets at my old house and the picture quality was great but the software was horrible.

    Do you guys have any recommendations based on this setup? My old hikvisions recorded to SD cards which was nice but my priorities now are good and easy to use software, and cameras that do well in rainy weather and at night.

    Ideally I'd like to spend <= $350 per camera but my budget is flexible. I'm not sure how much perf overhead a program like Blue Iris adds. The Linux box would work fine to host the storage but I'd prefer to keep it on a vanilla distro. I used Zoneminder once upon a time, but never again...

    submitted by /u/guymon
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Impassa ‘Alternate Comm Cell Trouble’

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a new house. I have a DSC Impassa Model SCW9057G-433 system in place, which was previously set up through ADT. I have the installer code and master code. I didn't want to pay the ridiculous monthly fees so have just been using the system 'locally' at night. Basically it will just sound really loud and alert us during the night if a sensor is tripped, but it will not contact any monitoring service or police, etc.

    Just the other night I had a trouble alarm go off at 2am. I silenced the alarm and the trouble code says 'alternate comm cell trouble' My research says that this means it was unable to reach the monitoring service, which makes sense. But why did this happen 4 months after I moved in and have been using it nightly? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the yellow trouble sign. Any help would be appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/That_Lavishness_2723
    [link] [comments]

    Best options for outdoor hard-line cameras for a larger property?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    It seems like most companies want to charge a fortune to set it up. and tried some of the wifi style cameras (think arlo) but they are so finicky and unreliable and delayed video and stop working etc..

    Any suggestions for hard-line diy or a cheap set up somehow ?

    submitted by /u/germophobe123
    [link] [comments]

    Best drone for outdoor security?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:31 AM PDT

    Looking for a manually flown (not auto-fly) drone that I can fly around the property every hour or so to check on things.. or to fly towards a far away sensor-light when it goes off. Any ideas?

    So it would need to be/have:

    -fvp camera for real time video (either with screen on remote control,goggles, or on phone app)

    -good night vision

    -relatively winter/water proof

    Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

    submitted by /u/germophobe123
    [link] [comments]

    Zmodo POE Repeater broke...

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:38 AM PDT

    Hey all, not sure where else to turn for help. I have this Zmodo Home system: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QMMFQK

    The other day the POE repeater component of it "zmodo bs-0001 POE Repeater" just died. I can't seem to get it working again, no idea what happened. Zmodo support says they would only RMA it if it was under warranty, and aren't even willing to sell me one.

    I can't find one anywhere on the internet for sale. I tried a traditional POE switch but aparently the cameras need exactly 19v POE to work (It's possible I killed them already by connecting them to a regular POE switch).

    Anyone know of anything that will help?

    submitted by /u/Benn00
    [link] [comments]

    Nest Secure “No Longer Available”

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:35 AM PDT

    https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_secure_alarm_system

    Just noticed this in the Google store. Sad cuz I've been wanting to buy one for a while. Anyone know what they're doing?

    submitted by /u/shedgehog
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment