• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 26, 2020

    Home security: SOMEONE STOLE MY CACTUS! It's time for a camera. I live in an apartment, so I'd like it to be wireless and definitely have night vision. Any suggestions?

    Home security: SOMEONE STOLE MY CACTUS! It's time for a camera. I live in an apartment, so I'd like it to be wireless and definitely have night vision. Any suggestions?


    SOMEONE STOLE MY CACTUS! It's time for a camera. I live in an apartment, so I'd like it to be wireless and definitely have night vision. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 05:14 AM PDT

    Like the title says. I woke up and my cactus which was outside my apartment was gone :(

    I live in an ehhhh kinda neighborhood but I didn't think I'd have to worry about stealing, apparently not. So now I'm gonna get a camera and mount it right above the door for everyone who comes by to see.

    Looking for a wireless night-vision camera, I know nothing about them though so I didn't wanna just pick the first one that popped up on amazon. Any suggestions or brands to look out for?

    submitted by /u/civeberg
    [link] [comments]

    New Home, New Defense - Need Feedback and Suggestions

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I'm moving in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to possibly change up my home security system. We've used a Simplisafe system for quite a while, probably for over 7 years. It's been fine, we use it mostly for doors/windows/motion sensors and the "active monitoring" which has only triggered maybe once or twice in the entire time we've owned it (due to our own faults, of course). Paired with that, we recently bought a Ring doorbell 2 when it was on a cyber Monday sale. It's been OK but nothing special, in my opinion.

    For the new house, I've been doing some research and hot damn the rabbit hole for home security is deep. I've looked into all the big names: ADT, Brinks, Nest, Ring, Vivint, etc., and after digging in around this sub and a couple of others I've looked into Blue Iris, Surety, and a few others. At this point, I'm thinking about getting 2 separate systems, one for active monitoring and one to manage PoE cameras that I don't have to necessarily wire and install all at the same time. I'm thinking Blue Iris + Surety is my best bet for managing this (I already have a superduper HTPC I built for VR that can run Blue Iris no problem). This would allow me to put window and door sensors all over the house + cameras that can be managed from anywhere.

    Does this seem like a good plan? Any gaping holes I should be considering? Long term I expect to do some home automation stuff that I might tie in with Surety as a bonus.

    submitted by /u/NeoGeo2015
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a camera that only records when door opens, so it just keeps track of whose coming and going?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    MY CAR IS COMPRIMISED.. help

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I have a older car, like 07. And the front door key hole doesn't work (fob doesn't as well sometimes)so i have to leave it unlocked. Because of that someone keeps breaking into my car!

    I leave nothing in there, AT ALL. They have went in my car atleast 10 times in 2-3 months and found nothing but empty out my glove box phone boom and leave stuff open.

    I believe it's someone who's on drugs early morning in my apartments who does it for quick change for a quick fix.

    They are also extremely sneaky, i check on my car all the time but never on time. & they left my trunk open once i'm guessing looking for tools to sale but... they didn't close it fully. I'm guessing to keep quiet.

    Does anytime have any ideas or tips to find out who it is? I don't need to hurt them but i don't mind if i do. All ideas will help.

    submitted by /u/imtrecasso
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone got any opinions on these Home Depot security cameras? Thinking about installing 2 of these outside my shed so I have visibility on both sides of my house

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    Wired power but local or cloud data storage

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Long time fan, first time poster. I currently have 3 security cameras at my house, but they are wireless, and because of that, they have power saving technology that only records if it detects motion. We were vandalized last night and the cameras didn't pick up the motion, so unfortunately no video to go along with it.

    I have a two story house so I can't run wires very well to where they need to be, but my front porch has a power outlet on the second story patio. I'd like to get a wired power camera that records 24/7 to either a local sd card, or a cloud.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/jbock114
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade keypads in hone

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 08:16 AM PDT

    My husband and I just bought a home with a couple of these throughout. We're looking to upgrade the keypads to something a little more modern. A few additional details:

    • The smoke detectors are tied in
    • The previous owner said they didn't have it connected to a service since the late 90s
    • We'll also do self-monitoring instead of through a service

    Do we need the same brand? Can we just swap these control units with new ones or is there something else we need to do?

    Appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/dontmindthedoghair
    [link] [comments]

    <New Build> Pre-Wire Exterior Security Camera

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I just went under contract for a new construction townhome. My goal is to have two security cameras outside (one by front porch, and one in the back by garage). I do NOT want to commit to any subscription fees. I've been searching all over online for tips and such, but I am getting a little overwhelmed with the amount of choices, and admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy person.

    I figure that even though it might be more expensive now since I'm locked into a specific company for pre-wiring, it might still be easier in the long-run to have them do it.

    Here are the packages they offer:

    • Package 1 (prewire cat5e to 4 camera locations, non-terminated) = $395
    • Package 2 (3 outdoor hardwired cameras, 1 alarm.com video doorbell, 1 2tb streaming video recorder, $19.99/month subscription)

    Is my best option to just get Package 1 and choose to have it wired outside? If so, what would I need to do afterwards? Would I just be able to get PoE cameras myself and install?

    Thanks so much for all your help!

    submitted by /u/swchurnkitty
    [link] [comments]

    SimpliSafe Cameras/Doorbell- does anyone have any experience with either and, if so, would you recommend them?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Looking into getting security cameras set up around my house since there's a frequent car hopper that likes to cruise up and down my block. I think he's tried my front door a few times too, honestly. So, obviously, I'd like to protect my home from types like him and him.

    I am comfortable with installing my own devices no problem and don't mind paying a little extra for round the clock monitoring or whatever- but I don't know anyone with these cameras or doorbell and was wondering if anyone would recommend using them? Or has experience with how awful they are and does not recommend?

    Else, what would you recommend I use?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/turquoise-nightmares
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best camera system without audio recording for under 1k

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    I am looking for 4-6 cameras.

    Audio recording in my state is Illegal unless I want to plaster a bunch of security cameras with audio all over my house. Clear enough for people to see at night.

    Any recommendations? There is a lot of Chinese junk I am seeing at best buy and amazon.

    submitted by /u/grio43
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an indoor camera I can trust.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I'm in the market to get an indoor wifi cam. ($30 range) I'd like local storage, two-way audio, RTSP, no subscription, still working if wifi stops.

    When I check out reviews on Amazon (yi, eufy) there are a few that talk about the camera (or apps) doing there own thing and sending data to questionable places.

    I was considering the wyze cam v2 but that company seems to be all over the place right now, rather then making better cameras (scales and headphones??). Also, other cameras around the same price offer a lot better quality.

    So what is recommended that does want I would like and isn't going to send data all over (or has a community that created an open source firmware that takes care of that stuff)?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/ohshitwaffles
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment