• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 24, 2020

    Home security: How to hook up Security Cameras to an Old PC?

    Home security: How to hook up Security Cameras to an Old PC?


    How to hook up Security Cameras to an Old PC?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 12:42 PM PDT

    My security camera DVR kicked the bucket recently and instead of buying a new one I am trying to repurpose relatively new PC I have laying around.

    My question is how do I connect the camera to my pc? The cameras don't have an Ethernet connector just a standard BNC and power.

    Would using an rj45 to BNC then connecting it to a gigabit switch work? Would the rj45 to BNC adapter cause a major lost in video quality? Referring to this adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXQ12CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wBpBFb3GNAAXD

    submitted by /u/ilikepotatopies
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for "false alarm proof" alarm for front of a van.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 03:41 AM PDT

    PIR motion detection is easy to trigger with sun on dashboard. Glass break triggers with loud sounds. The only reliable option is switches on the doors to detect opening. Any ideas how i can detect entering through or breaking window with extremely low chance of flase alarm?

    submitted by /u/eastwes1
    [link] [comments]

    POE Camera system. What if someone were to plug in their laptop and access your network?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    I know its not likely, but while planning my next move and leave wiring for cameras when I get data drops placed around the house. The idea of someone pulling up a ladder and accessing my network popped into my head. I know this is more of an issue and possible if I were to use something like BluIris to a desktop and a regular POE switch. But how likely/possible is it if I had a dedicated NVR system/switch and someone tried this? Is there anyway to protect this from happening?

    submitted by /u/Deadliftingfool
    [link] [comments]

    Solutions to convert hardwired ADT to Smart Home Alarm

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    I have an older ADT hardwired system. I am not interested in their Pulse system with the high monthly monitoring rates. And my rates are pretty expense compared to some of these wireless alarm systems (Simpli safe and Ring).

    I would like the ability to monitor and control the alarm from an app as well as keep my keypads (would like to upgrade them to something newer, but not critical) and sensors and smoke alarms. I am leaning towards the Safe Hub6 as the install seems pretty basic, uses my existing equipment and gives me the "smart" functionality. I am also considering the Konnected upgrade. Installs seems a bit more involved (willing to do) and uses Smart things and Alexa.

    Can anyone who has installed either let me know their thoughts or if other options?

    submitted by /u/flirtyhubfl
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading system: Reolink or Amcrest

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Hello all! I'm upgrading my arlo camera system as I've been increasingly unhappy with how long it takes for the app to bring up live view, sometimes up to 3 minutes. I'm looking to replace it with a system for ~$500. My goal is for 3 cameras; 1 to watch driveway/street from above garage door (want a wide angle for this), 1 to watch down from front door, and 1 to watch back door. I would like to have some expandability, like say an indoor camera in the garage or a doorbell camera, but it's not a must have. And I'm looking for a PoE system cause I'm tired of having to replace batteries every month as I live in a busy area. I've come up with 2 system options and want some opinions/criticisms of it.

    Option 1: Reolink ~$380

    I like the price point of these, but I have seen some concerns with video quality. Plus I'm not a fan of the mounting/locking method of just friction on the 520s, but thats not a deal breaker.

    Option 2: Amcrest ~$500

    A bit pricer, but it has a much larger selection of cameras to add on at a later date. Also I've read that it's a rebrand of Dahua, with good video quality and materials. But I'm not sure the added price point is worth it.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/da_frenzy
    [link] [comments]

    House off main road: lit up or grey man

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    Title: house is off a main road, debating if outside lights really do deter crime or if they draw unwanted attention and which is the lesser of evils. Curious as to people's thoughts cuz I can see both ways

    submitted by /u/heyvina
    [link] [comments]

    Home voice recorder

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    My partner and I find it useful to have all of our conversations recorded so that we can listen to them later. This is a rather odd desire, so I'm having trouble finding a good device for it. Our requirements:

    - It needs to be able to record audio continuously, I don't want to have to turn it on and off all the time. It should delete the oldest parts of the recording to make room for new recording, and be able to hold at least the past 2 days of audio.

    - I need to be able to easily access the recording from a specific time. For example I may want to listen to "yesterday at 10:00", and I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so. I definitely do not want to have to transfer gigabites of recordings to my computer in order to listen to them, so it should either stream to my computer in real time or have its own speakers.

    - It needs to have good audio quality. I should be able to understand a quiet conversation from the other side of a large room.

    - It does not need to include a camera, although that would be a nice bonus.

    - It does not need to be small or disguised. Everyone is going to know it's there.

    I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

    submitted by /u/KingSupernova
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment