• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 24, 2020

    Home security: Experienced an attempted break-in, reolink to the rescue (in more ways than one)

    Home security: Experienced an attempted break-in, reolink to the rescue (in more ways than one)


    Experienced an attempted break-in, reolink to the rescue (in more ways than one)

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    A couple weeks ago, someone attempted to loot/break into my place during the chaos of the wildfires on the west coast. Fortunately didn't end up taking anything, but they did destroy one of my cameras. The camera in question is mounted to a fence post, and there wasn't any way for me to secure the cable, so it's easily accessible. It was clear they just attempted to unplug it, but weren't smart enough to figure it out, so they just ripped it apart. The Plug separated from the rest of the cable, breaking the wires.

    Fortunately the Sheriff's office was able to use the footage I captured to confirm they already had one of the people in custody, and they knew who the other person was.

    On a whim, I sent Reolink customer service an email, asking if I could get a wiring diagram to attempt to repair the camera myself, and they simply said "send it back, we'll send you a replacement."

    Damn good customer service, I've already bought more cameras, but I have even more confidence in them now than I did before.

    submitted by /u/ruckertopia
    [link] [comments]

    I made a rookie mistake...

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:17 AM PDT

    Hello All, a few months ago I bought a used Ring doorbell from a guy off Next Door. I'm such a green horn I didn't know that the original owner needed to unsubscribe it until I tried to set it up. Long story short, the guy ghosted me and after three very long phone calls to Ring, they said I was out of luck they would not switch it to me. Just wanted to share this information so no one else gets hosed. Wish I had found this sub earlier! Cheers!

    submitted by /u/museumsdude
    [link] [comments]

    Back yard kid monitor advice needed

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    TDLR AT THE END

    Long version: I have a young kid who is interested in being alone in the back yard to play independently. We had done this a lot at our old house that had windows and a door facing the back yard and I could provide reasonable supervision and hear her if she got into trouble or anything. Generally, she's really great and well behaved, and knows how to keep herself safe and just wants to make mud pies. I trust her. I just don't trust the rest of the world.

    Now that we have a new place the windows and doors don't provide the same access and now with the addition of another baby I'm distracted and otherwise occupied a lot of the time. We wanted to put up a baby monitor outside so we could hear her and mostly just for piece of mind. The baby monitor we have isn't for outdoor use, although we live in a pretty mild climate and it could be put under an awning.

    I just want to be able to peek back and see she's ok, and make sure nothing crazy is happening. Should we just get another baby monitor? They're pretty expensive and I'd hate to have to carry around two monitoring units, and not made for outdoor use.

    I can be a bit of a tinfoil hat person- I'm not thrilled to have anything "smart" inside the house like Alexa or Google Home. I'm pretty low tech and just want to be able to see my kid to calm my own anxiety. I had thought Arlo was a potential candidate because it didn't require a base but that information could be outdated at this point. I'm getting a lot of targeted ads and just frustrated with the whole thing and how expensive it all looks.

    TLDR: looking for an easy inexpensive simple outdoor camera for monitoring kids in back yard.

    submitted by /u/kmfoh
    [link] [comments]

    Home voice recorder

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    My partner and I find it useful to have all of our conversations recorded so that we can listen to them later. This is a rather odd desire, so I'm having trouble finding a good device for it. Our requirements:

    - It needs to be able to record audio continuously, I don't want to have to turn it on and off all the time. It should delete the oldest parts of the recording to make room for new recording, and be able to hold at least the past 2 days of audio.

    - I need to be able to easily access the recording from a specific time. For example I may want to listen to "yesterday at 10:00", and I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so. I definitely do not want to have to transfer gigabites of recordings to my computer in order to listen to them, so it should either stream to my computer in real time or have its own speakers.

    - It needs to have good audio quality. I should be able to understand a quiet conversation from the other side of a large room.

    - It does not need to include a camera, although that would be a nice bonus.

    - It does not need to be small or disguised. Everyone is going to know it's there.

    I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

    submitted by /u/KingSupernova
    [link] [comments]

    [Rcmdtn Rqst] Detached garage next to house. Lots of tools. Used to have a camera with Push. Suggestions?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    I own a house and the garage is only detached by a few feet.
    I can do electrical work just fine. I know how to run cables for about anything. DIY guy but I actually attempt to do it right. I mention all this so we can skip the simple stuff.

    I used to have an Arlo wireless. I moved it around a lot but never really got it set up a way that I liked. I'm looking more for deterrents than identification (in my experience it use less unless you know the person).

    1 garage door, 16 feet wide. 1 side entry door. I do have plans to connect porch and garage someday so entry door would be behind an additional storm/porch door, but no time soon. Got school loans to reduce.

    The camera issues:
    I have a roommate that I got tired of setting off the camera.
    Geofencing is ok, but it tended to kick in too late and still got me coming home.
    Freaking batteries. Even with expensive ones they don't last very long.

    It has a window but I think I'm going to get a new (steel) door next spring without one. In the meantime I think I'm gonna paint it.
    Side door is current a normal keyed entry but I do have a deadbolt to swap in for the knob. Frame is in need of reinforcement tho.

    Just more/better locks? Go with more motion security lights? (There's a cat, I think, that sets off my light almost every night. Haven't actually spotted it yet.)

    We don't have a lot of break-ins in my neighborhood but my collection of tools is getting on the expensive side so I wanna be a bit more active.

    I only got the cameras to check for deliveries really. They kept leaving them in the rain no matter how I marked the delivery notes.

    submitted by /u/AndaleTheGreat
    [link] [comments]

    Replacement for Wyze Cam v2 (for pointing out through windows)

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Recently I've been questing the reliability of these cheap $20 Wyze Cam v2s. I have 4 of them, and 2 of them crapped out. Wyze sent me free replacements. But there are other reliability issues like having to power cycle because the live feed freezes or getting notifications like 5 minutes after the event or SD card footage being corrupted.

    That being said, what indoor cameras do you guys recommend where I can point them outside through the windows? I would love free local storage and person detection.

    I live in an apartment with really strict rules regarding putting stuff outside. The only real option I have is to point cameras through my windows.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/GarageRich
    [link] [comments]

    New house. DIY vs Pro security system. What sensors to get???

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    Abobe seems to be the best DIY and cheapiest.

    The local installer seems to be the best pro, they offer $200 for a Qolysis IQ PANEL 2 with 4 door/window sensors and a free camera with WIFI and cellular for $35 monitoring with $10 extra for the on-demand camera. Extra sensors are $100 each!

    My wife works from home so I am not trying to cheap out. I do plan to apply an antishatter widow film with extra locks, metal door frame insert with door braces. We have a mean looking doberman. I still need to train her with firearms.

    What about which sensors to choose? For home mode would a panic button and 4 sensors be enough? For away mode, we can put our large dog up and have 1-2 motion sensors.

    submitted by /u/kb185
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a "secure" indoor security camera that I can monitor if my security system goes off

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a simple camera I can view quickly if my motion sensors go off (I have the Ring monitored security system). I'm hesitant about the indoor Google / Ring cameras. I almost feel like I should just get a baby monitor since I'm hesistant about even the Wyze cams given some comments regarding where they are sending info to.

    submitted by /u/Knd321
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest way to get a Speco D8VT online?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    The house we bought came with a Speco D8VT and 8 wired cameras. I think the previous owner had a whole-home entertainment system that this was wire into but they took it with them.

    What's the easiest way to get the live feeds online? I'm open to replacing the D8VT with some other unit.

    submitted by /u/Mort99
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation wanted: 16 channel NVR with ~8-12 cameras

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a camera system for my father-in-law's property. I was originally considering a Wisenet NVR system since I'm familiar with and work with Wisenet equipment and software at the day job; however, their website leaves me with less than fuzzies. It lists models that aren't available or discontinued, models that can't be found for sale anywhere, and their CS number rang for over 5 minutes before I hung up.

    I'd like an NVR with POE that I can also hook to my LAN and add remote IP cameras (using a wireless Ubiquiti PTP shot) for structures not directly attached to the house. 8 channels might do it but I'd prefer 16 just in case. IP cameras that can be powered by a midspan injector would be needed for the wireless shots.

    I'm not familiar with other brands of NVR enough to tell crap quality from decent, so I'd like to get opinions/options from folks with experience. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/kurzweilfreak
    [link] [comments]

    Had some trouble in the night so looking to get some home security (UK). Previously tried the Ring Video Doorbell but it’s not quite suitable so I’ve got a few options which would be great to have feedback on please.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 02:20 AM PDT

    Good morning everyone.

    I and a number of other people on my street have had the blue wall copings taken in the middle of the night. Not the worst crime in the world, I know, but I have been left with a rather damaged and now ugly looking wall to sort. None of the neighbours have CCTV so I'm thinking of getting someone to install something. It would be great to have your recommendations please.

    I live in a terraced house, off a very busy main road. I don't really have much of a front garden, so I'm only two or three steps away from the pavement. I have had a Ring Doorbell previously but got rid of it after it kept being activated from cars or people walking past the house. I changed the radius and even had a lengthy conversation with someone at Ring who tried to help with the settings, but it still kept going off all of the time. So I think I need some actual CCTV.

    I only have a small house so think I could get away with one camera at the front of the house and another one for the back garden. I have seen, on Facebook, people post their CCTV footage and nine times out of ten it's impossible to make anyone out due to the poor quality – mostly on the night time. So I'm cautious of spending a few hundred £ and god forbid something happens where I need to call upon the footage only to find out it's been a waste of money.

    A few local (Birmingham way) options I've found are:

    ColorVu system (as the chap said they stay in colour even during the night). £525 for two cameras ("5MP and more than double 1080p HD"), installation, and I assume it includes the recorder/HD as well.

    Hikvision system. Two camera (5MP) including recorder, 1TB HD and installation for £400.

    Two OYN-X Fixed Turret 4K 8MP cameras, Kestrel recorder and installation. It also says "2 weeks saved and auto re-record". I'm not sure if that's a feature of the recorder or if that means they manage/host (?) the recordings? Unfortunately that was on offer for £399.99 but the offer expired yesterday and it's back up to the normal price of £549.

    Before I started looking at options I had a budget in my head of £400. As it stands that would only allow me to get option two, but if it's worth paying the extra then I will do.

    Would you recommend either of the three options above, and do you think the prices are fair?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Subredhit
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex and aftermarket camera, my experience

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Just to throw this out there. Seen some posts asking about adding other cameras to a Lorex NVR. Not just here, but other places online as well. I just thought I would add my experience.
    I have a PoE system from Lorex with 4K cameras. I also have a cheap Wansview wireless IP camera that I thought what the heck. Went into the system, did a manual add for a camera and selected ONVIF. Put in the IP and port info along with the login credentials, boom camera is on the system.
    One thing I am noticing is that when I select grid view for my cameras, no matter if it is 4 or 9, that camera will time out. I will then have to right click on that camera and select Main stream to get it to show. But, only showing that camera it pops up just fine, and quickly.

    submitted by /u/DrOrinScrivelloDDS
    [link] [comments]

    Loud drone sound from Lorex system?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 05:24 AM PDT

    I have a 16 channel Lorex Surveillance system that it's loud drone sound has started to get on my nerves. I keep it high up and almost touching the ceiling but it's still bothersome

    Is this typical for surveillance systems?

    And any recommendations to reduce the sound?

    Was thinking of building a foam insulated box to keep it in

    submitted by /u/Tossaccount80
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment