• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 20, 2020

    Home security: Deadbolt at the bottom of a door

    Home security: Deadbolt at the bottom of a door


    Deadbolt at the bottom of a door

    Posted: 20 Sep 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    I have a family member who recently threatened to come to my house with a loaded shotgun. Aside from notifying the cops, and customizing a Simplisafe system, I'm considering installing additional deadbolts near the bottom of the doors.

    The thought is that if he smashed the glass to open the main deadbolt, he still wouldn't be able to open the door because of the bottom deadbolt, giving us more time to escape. I know it's not impenetrable, but i would be buying time in this scenario.

    Can i get some feedback about whether this is a good idea in addition to the other measures i will be taking?

    Edit: Thanks everyone, this has given me GREAT ideas and support. The whole thing feels less scary talking to you all.

    submitted by /u/ebola1025
    [link] [comments]

    Big window - how to protect

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Big window - how to protect

    Theft of a bicycle that was locked up in the back yard has me thinking of getting some security.

    Girlfriend's apartment. We're in a state that's warm year round, so the window is left open most of the time. She also wants her small caged pets to get fresh air.

    We have a Wyze (above monitor) that monitors the door and window, but alerts are an issue. I'll probably upgrade to cloud recording.

    As it's a rental, and for other reasons, I'm sure steel security bars are not an option.

    Any ideas for a way to alarm the window?

    I'm comfortable if it involves DIY.

    https://preview.redd.it/2tc8o5ctl7o51.jpg?width=2880&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=db037fa817622d7621a227f2136b76b3fcbb4be8

    submitted by /u/sock2014
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment camera setup

    Posted: 20 Sep 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Hey Everyone,

    I am looking for some information on a apartment camera setup. I would like to get one camera that is oriented and the door (only entrance or exit) and one looking at my car in the parking lot.

    I need both cameras to have night vision. My car is about 150 feet from where the camera is setup but there are lights in the parking lot. I also want to keep them running 24/7.

    I've read about vulnerabilities with wifi camera setups so if anyone has info on how to keep that secure or if there are other options. I'm in the USA.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/therealronmcdonald
    [link] [comments]

    Malicious Attempted Motorcycle Theft or Vandalism

    Posted: 20 Sep 2020 09:44 AM PDT

    Past weekend motorcycle was attempted to be stolen or vandalized(wires cut) by someone in my apartment building. My Moto has been recently targeted by false police calls, anonymous notes/threats, and once knocked over. I dont have a loud exhaust nor do I rev out (I prefer to not draw attention to myself and respect peoples peace and privacy). But the fact that there may be someone saying "Good morning. neighbor!", while simultaneous wishing malice upon me or my family is down right wrong. So in attempt to finding this culprit, I am going over 4 Days of footage(the window in which I had not ridden the bike) on grainy building cameras (decade old cctv), this is a long and arduous process. I wonder if there is software I can feed the footage through that can sort clips of footage that only picks out motion footage around the bike. In other words a app or bot that I can set parameters to sort footage that only contains moving motion around a particular area on the camera recording. This would dramatically cut down searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

    submitted by /u/LurkingTreeTiger
    [link] [comments]

    My van is my home. Any advice on setting up cameras?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    I have a unlimited mobile data router in the van so you can assume i have "WiFi". I would prefer a more diy approach using analog car reversing cameras. As these are neat to mount and small. Any way i can view my system remotely? I already knkw how to set up to view on mini monitor in the van. Do i need a mini pc to run some software and connect cameras to? Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/eastwes1
    [link] [comments]

    What should i do

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    for the past few days when i open my back door it sounds like someone is walking around my back yard. and tonight I heard them run away right next to my porch when I opened the door, and I just went back outside and I heard it again. its really creeping me out idk what to do since I'm only a teenager.

    submitted by /u/ZornWokens321
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be possible (barring extreme prices) to coat my motorhome in kevlar/lead?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    I'm worried about stray bullets as I live in a bad neighborhood, but I also worry about the nuclear reactor nearby, which is the reason for the lead.

    submitted by /u/nilederg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment