• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 9, 2020

    Home Improvement: What is the most important home improvement tool?

    Home Improvement: What is the most important home improvement tool?


    What is the most important home improvement tool?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    A full tank of gas.

    Seriously, I must have been to HD and Sherwin Williams 18 times this week.

    Also, I've worked at a hardware store for 12 years and that's my only hardware joke - - please include more below. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/madeinbuffalo
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove an old satellite dish on roof?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:20 PM PDT

    Like the title says, we have an old dish on the home we just bought. Not worried about it form a safety perspective, but just wondering who to call to remove it? Will the cable company send someone?

    submitted by /u/helpthrowawayanxiety
    [link] [comments]

    Wish me luck, I'm finally finishing my basement!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    We bought a house 3 years ago with a semi-finished basement (walls framed and drywalled and 3/5 rooms have floating tile ceiling, but floors are exposed concrete slab). We are finally pulling the trigger on finishing it! We are painting, having a dry waller install an arched doorway and ceiling in the 2/5 rooms that are exposed beams, installing dricore and laminate floors throughout and potentially getting the HVAC extended to the rooms down there (waiting on a quote before we put the ceiling in). I'm so excited to literally double our living space but also dreading the days of painting and cutting and placing flooring ahead.

    Right now we have 700 square feet we only use to throw empty boxes in. Hopefully by christmas we have a family room, kids playroom and guest bedroom that I can be proud to show my friends and family.

    submitted by /u/namefits
    [link] [comments]

    Some improvements are happy accidents: kitchen island remodel

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    About a month ago I posted on this sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/hn7qh7/hole_in_our_island_cabinet_made_it_worse/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    We randomly noticed a dent in our island. First suggestion was to push it from the inside. Well, there's an actual piece of wood inside the cabinet and this part was glued on top so no hope of pushing it through.

    Then I tried wood filler. As you can see from the original reddit post - that just made it worse!

    And thus: island remodel project! Gallery

    I like to think the gallery goes through my process. I thought about painting it. I thought about replacing the panel. Idk, I just was not excited for either of those! So I started browsing to see what options I had. I included the inspiration for my island - a stained shiplap island.

    I bought the planks from Lowe's and used construction glue and finishing nails. I then took a drawer and a spare piece of wood to Lowe's and had them test some of the stains. Red mahogany was the closest. I knew it would never be perfect and as you can see the shiplap is certainly a different style of wood that shows more of the grain. They were never going to match perfectly.

    I'll be honest, when I finished the stain, I cried! I felt like I just made it worse - again! But after a few weeks it grew on me. This weekend I finished the moulding and that really finished it! I love it and I'm glad I didn't go with white. I can always paint it all white later, but I love the darker wood tone. This wasn't a project I planned or thought about until I was in a situation where there was a hole in my island! Anybody else end up remodeling something you weren't planning to?

    submitted by /u/Hes9023
    [link] [comments]

    How much time to build?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    This is a 14 foot by 20 foot cabin I'm trying to build. I'm trying to plan a budget and am looking for some advice for how long things will take.

    Here's a basic picture of the framing. https://imgur.com/a/cIih01u

    The plan is to outsource someone to pre-build the framing (6 or 12 pieces) and then truck it to the build site and put together before adding the exterior. It would have a metal roof and a simple wood or vinyl siding.

    I want to know how many hours this may take a semi professional to do?

    Any input on the strategy and timing would be appreciated. I'm also open to doing pier blocks instead of anchoring into the ground. I'm not sure if that would be easier/cheaper.

    Edit: I probably won't be doing insulation and inside walls/paneling immediately.

    submitted by /u/username9909864
    [link] [comments]

    Please help us figure this out...

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    I'll try to write this a clear as possible...

    My husband and I bought a house last year. The house was built in 1976 (?). We've been using a lot of our Covid time making improvements. I'm really loving spending all of this time turning this old place into a space we love.

    The problem:

    There is a pantry in the kitchen that had an old hollow bi-fold door. It was ugly. So, I went to a reclaim store and bought a new bi-fold door to replace it. We decided we'd like it better as French Doors so we took off the hinges and the 'bi-fold' hardware above and below the door area. We are now ready to attach the new (to us) French doors. The problem we have found is that there is no stud where the doors need to hang. I got some drywall anchors that say they can support up to 75 lbs. We have only been able to get them halfway into the wall and then they break in half.

    We're novices, I'm sure I sound like it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything that we've missed? Any ideas on what we can try that might work? Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/jessiboom9000
    [link] [comments]

    How do you seal a window without causing damage?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    I have a cockroach problem, and a broken window probably doesn't help. It doesn't seal correctly, but I'm unable to fix it right now. Is there a way to temporarily seal it, without causing irreversible damage to the windows? I've started to use painters tape to patch it up with bits of garbage bag, but this process is ridiculously tedious, and I'm not even sure it's working.

    submitted by /u/tenthplagueb
    [link] [comments]

    Fixing a little piece of shower-adjacent drywall?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:07 PM PDT

    I need to repair a small sliver of drywall next to the shower. What's the best way to go about this? I could cut away the damaged drywall but I'm not sure what to attach the new drywall to since there's tile on the left and metal drywall corner on the right. Any thoughts? Thanks

    Pic: https://imgur.com/a/1GM3iTw

    Red is damaged drywall. Green is metal corner bead.

    submitted by /u/tinyhurricanes
    [link] [comments]

    generator longevity tips?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    I recently bought this:

    https://www.tractorsupply.com/static/sites/TSC/downloads/ProdContentPDFs/1027593_Man1.pdf

    And was wondering if there were any longevity-improving tips, like using a different motor oil or spark plug or something like that.

    submitted by /u/GetInHereStalker
    [link] [comments]

    My house was in a flood and it's been stripped to the studs. What would you look at doing if you had full reign?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    Recent floods this spring completely ruined my house. I'm covered with insurance and the restoration company has taken everything down to the studs. What home improvements should I look at putting in. It was a basic 70s design and now I have a blank canvas. What tips tricks and improvments would you do if you had free reign?

    submitted by /u/IsaacsApple
    [link] [comments]

    Can a 72x81 sliding door closet set fit in a 70x80 frame?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    Went to home depot, and the 70x80 dimension our contractor gave us is a odd measurement according to the sales rep. He stated that 72x81 will fit as it can be adjusted, but he will not commit 100%. Should I go for that dimension? Or do I need to custom order, which according to rep cost more and cannot be return?

    submitted by /u/BigDrew923
    [link] [comments]

    Acoustic Ceiling Tile Alternative To Grid

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    I have a basement that needs a ceiling. The only surface grid system I have available is garbage and expensive.

    Anyone have any experience with alternative ways of attaching drop ceiling acoustic tiles to either joists directly or 1x2 stringers? Velco? Staples? Ideas? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/no_more_secrets
    [link] [comments]

    This idiot has been cutting drywall wrong for years!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    About 15 years ago I had a close friend (who's a general contractor) offer to help me finish my basement for free. Back then he showed me how to "properly" cut drywall. Running the blade down along the t-square to break the paper. Then pushing harder on another pass, and running 2-4 passes total to cut "just about 3/4 of the way through the drywall" before bending it and cutting the backside paper.

    I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos recently, prepping for some minor DIY renovation work, and it recommended one of those speed drywall runs, where 2 guys complete an entire section of a house in like 6 minutes. During this, I noticed the guy measuring and cutting was basically running the knife down the line once before bending it. It didn't look like he was putting any pressure down at all.

    Dumbfounded, I start Googling and low and behold, I've wasted so much extra time cutting drywall incorrectly. And each time I made a bunch of passes, I'd always manage to cut off the line at some point so my cuts were always super sloppy.

    I'm an idiot..

    submitted by /u/xdozex
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any subreddits that can give me ideas on how to use a particular space in my house?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    Not asking for free designing, I just don't know what I can do with an area of my house and need ideas.

    submitted by /u/tyrepenchar
    [link] [comments]

    Open plan kitchen advice

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Hi, we've just bought our home, and (on advice from family who know more about this stuff) have opened up the wall to the kitchen to let light in. Would anyone like to suggest how we finish this off?

    No "you probably should have planned this earlier" messages please, I know we deserve them :) https://imgur.com/95WWzQf.jpg

    submitted by /u/theoob
    [link] [comments]

    Screening in my patio. I have a question about framing the bottom of the door.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    I'm going to screen in my back patio. I've designed it in SketchUp but I need some design advice. I was working off some examples I found on the internet. In those examples, the bottom 2x4 continues through the door opening,

    Here is a picture of my model. I've circled the 2x4 I'm talking about. https://imgur.com/a/TAJTIuN

    Should that bottom sill continue through the door frame or should it stop to the right of the door? I feel like I should remove the bottom 2x4 from the doorway to avoid tripping.

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/ciscotree
    [link] [comments]

    Shower pan over tile?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Can I set this pan over tile or did we mess up and prematurely set this tile. If so should I just break the tile out of best way to move forward thanks. tile

    submitted by /u/Cousins55
    [link] [comments]

    AC Window unit voltage

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    My buddy just purchased a brand new window unit for his apartment and its installed already and expanding foam to close the gaps. It wasn't until after installing it that we found out that its 240 V and ive been told that the average American home only does 110 V. Is there any way to make the unit work? I hate that would have wasted his money.

    submitted by /u/BluePhoebus
    [link] [comments]

    Can you change paint finish?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    I recently painted my bedroom a dark navy with semi gloss Behr paint. It's WAY too shiny and reflective. Is there any way I can decrease shine without repainting or sanding? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Many_Qu3stions
    [link] [comments]

    Uhhh...... so what now? Replacing a 1955 toilet

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    So hubby and I were going to replace the baby blue 1955 original toilet to the house. (We assume its the original at least) we've already run into a ton of hiccups. Apparently the waterline is attached to the valve. Okay so we need a new valve too now. I was like "hmm okay, let's replace the toilet and get the valve once the toilet is on" Well we take off the old toilet, scrape off the wax ring and..... then there is this. What do we even do?! Hire a plumber? 🤣 photo

    submitted by /u/Be_Braver
    [link] [comments]

    What is this crack in my wall?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:57 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/tMphd5K

    It looks like steel wool poking out in this opening in the brick veneer of the outer wall of my residence. Is it supposed to be like this? What is this?

    submitted by /u/daric
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen remodeling timeline feedback?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    Does anyone who's been through a new kitchen remodel could tell me if this timeline makes sense? Bonus point if you used Ikea cabinets, and IKEA's subcontractor for assembly and installation... I'm Trying to plan ahead because... Covid and two young kids. The plan below assumes that all items required for the cabinets are in my garage by Demo day... whatever that date means given current shortage of cabinets?!?

    (Days below kind of exclude weekends...)

    Day 1 - Demo Day 2 - plumber, electrician, Gas line installed (we are replacing electric stove by a gas stove), drywall fixing (if anything damaged during removal of current cabinets) Day 3-8 cabinets assembling / installing (by Ikea subcontractor Kitchen Helper) Day 9- Counter Template (by Ikea subcontractor for counters) 3 weeks later..... (approx) Day 30 - Counter Installation Day 31 - plumber (sink install, etc) / electrician / final drywall touch up / backsplash installation Day 32 - backsplash grouting / appliances installation

    Does that make sense? Anything I could get going during the 3 weeks waiting for the counters, to have some degree of a functional kitchen even without the counters? I see people with temp plywood counters... but is that really an option? Will the plumber need to come twice if I do that,

    Anything I'm forgetting?

    Thank you so much for you feedback!

    submitted by /u/maxandmolife
    [link] [comments]

    Any experiences with Retrotread?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    I just started a quarantine project and it's not done so I thought I'd take a break from my frustrations by getting frustrated with another project.

    In short, the previous owner replaced carpet right before selling and they put in the cheapest carpet in the world, which my cats have lovingly helped to an early grave. Removing the carpet from the stairs is long overdue and I'd rather go back with a hard surface for vacuuming purposes.

    We were pretty much sold on just tearing the old treads/risers out completely, but they actually run under the skirt board. Sure, I could remove the skirt board and put it back, but then I would scuff the drywall, then repaint that spot, then repaint the whole staircase for it to match, and I'm trying to be better at spotting a rabbit hole before I dive in.

    Cutting the overhang off the current treads is also a little to wishful for our unsteady hands too. So now I'm looking seriously at painting pine risers white and slapping retrotreads on there. I saw a few in store today but wasn't too thrilled to see one of them warped on the shelf. Lowe's has a generous return policy and wouldn't really give us grief even if we ordered 16 and took back 12. I'm just concerned about how these things hold up in the long run and if anyone had issues with them warping after installation.

    Plenty of reviews had people using liquid nails and then seeing warping the next day. Is there a better adhesive? Could we skip adhesive and just nail it? Does anyone have a better idea that skips retrotreads altogether?

    submitted by /u/PlannedSkinniness
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do to my backyard? [Picture included]

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    Current: https://imgur.com/a/S6Mu5fp

    What I think I want: pergola/gazebo for shade, new concrete/pavers to replace the existing concrete (cracked), seating,BBQ. Part of my backyard is also not level.

    What I don't want: maintenance, plants, weeds.

    What do you all recommend for functionality + home value? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/stevestillwonders
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment