• Breaking News

    Monday, August 3, 2020

    Home security: What are the hardest to break windows?

    Home security: What are the hardest to break windows?


    What are the hardest to break windows?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    What type of windows would be considered "safest" or best to deter break ins?

    submitted by /u/acciocoffee98
    [link] [comments]

    IP address of camera's change everytime the modem power cycles.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    This has caused me some grief because I couldn't figure out what has been going on with my parent's security cam setup. I have a dedicated computer there running blue iris. They cameras just stopped working a few times. Turns out everytime my father thinks the internet is slow he power cycles the modem/router. He does this by pushing the button on the powerbar that the POE injector switch is plugged into as well. I'm quite rusty on my networking. How do i prevent the IP addresses of the cameras from changing everytime the power is cut to the modem.

    submitted by /u/slowtdi
    [link] [comments]

    Are cheap Amazon POE Cameras worth the risk?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm currently looking at adding two cameras to my system. I'm running a dedicated Blue Iris machine, and the below linked cameras should be compatible.

    Based on the specs and reviews of the cameras, they seem like viable options. Keep in mind I'm not securing Fort Knox here, so absolute top of the line quality isn't really required. I'm more seeking a middle ground between cost and performance.

    Apart from the Amazon listing, I'm having a really tough time finding any other reference to them online... I'm assuming they're a re-brand of units that I've yet been unable to find...

    So my question is: Is it worth taking the risk by giving these things a try? Also note that for additional security, I plan on keeping them blocked from WAN access using the firewall in pfsense, as I've heard of some sketchy practices by the firmware of some of these cheaper cameras.

    First camera I'd like to try is a PTZ with adjustable zoom 2.8 mm - 8mm and is 2MP

    https://www.amazon.ca/ext%C3%A9rieure-optique-Inclinaison-Motoris%C3%A9-installation/dp/B074N2TRRR/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=poe+dome&qid=1596419240&sr=8-7

    The second is a more basic, fixed 3.6mm 5MP lens

    https://www.amazon.ca/ONWOTE-Security-Megapixels-Vandalproof-Waterproof/dp/B07D1HNDB1/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=poe+dome&qid=1596419223&sr=8-3

    Thanks in advance for any information or opinions!

    -jason

    submitted by /u/rubinox355
    [link] [comments]

    gigabit Poe switch vs normal Poe Switch, is it worth the money?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    Hey guys I'm planning to install 4 RLC-422 reolink cameras with this switch :

    https://www.amazon.com.mx/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005P-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B076PRM2C5/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=poe+switch&qid=1596406690&sr=8-5

    The same switch costs double if it's gigabit:

    https://www.amazon.com.mx/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005P-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B076HZFY3F/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=poe+switch&qid=1596406690&sr=8-1

    Is it worth it? I'd like to record 24/7 using an intel NUC 7I7BNH, blueiris with a big hard drive and homeassistant.

    I'm not adding additional cameras, so I don't need a bigger switch for now.

    I'd appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/Badstraw
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm with delay exit and entry on 2 "sequential" doors - garage to house, garage to street

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    I am looking to get a new home system (new construction) likely DSC with Envisalink, but regardless, I want to put the panel at the door that exits the house and into the garage. The garage also has a door (not an overhead, just regular entry door) that exits out onto the driveway that we do use a lot, or would use to enter if the overhead doors didn't work.

    So I would want to be able to arm the alarm, exit the door into the garage, then exit the door from garage to outside. I would want to be able to enter the same way - enter from driveway into garage, then from garage into house. Assuming I am not fumbling for keys or otherwise delayed, is the best solution to:

    1. Make both doors part of a single zone with a delay on entry and exit? I assume that open/close of one, will not effect the other in terms of stopping the countdown and doing some kind of instant arm.
    2. Make the two doors different zones, each with its own delay? I don't think this will work but throwing it out there.
    3. Less desirable choice - only alert if garage to driveway door is open, but don't actually include it in arm/disarm/monitor functions
    4. Mount panel in garage and door from garage to driveway has delay, door from garage to house is treated as interior door. (not desirable either as I lose notifications of zones open, door notifications, etc.) but I could walk around garage without disarming alarm.

    Any other suggestions in this regard?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/ChromeDome00
    [link] [comments]

    Alarm box location or help identifying what alarm system I have

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 10:04 AM PDT

    I am renting a house that has an alarm panel but it is not powered on. I can't seem to find where the alarm box is visibly located. Do all alarm panels require an alarm box?

    The panel does not have any indication of brand or make or model of the Alarm Panel. Just a phone number to call "ABC Alarm Inc. ". The front panel opens even further but there are only user instructions on what the buttons do. The instructions just show "422-4805 Rev B".

    https://imgur.com/a/kP4mnZx

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/scoobydoobiedoodoo
    [link] [comments]

    Recovering my Interlogix Simon XTi 5

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    I bought this unit under LiveWatch (now Brinks) years ago. IMHO it's still a great system, and the LTE communicator means it has a good serviceable lifespan ahead. I'd like to get it working again for a side project. The problem is, Brinks randomizes the installer code every few days.

    My account with Brinks was closed in good standing with a zero balance. I purchased the equipment outright at the beginning of my contract; it was never leased or financed.

    Is there any way to forcibly reset the installer code? It goes without saying that I have full physical access to the system, as well as the master code.

    submitted by /u/CatOfTheDecade
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment