• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 30, 2020

    Home security: New build - no security system - which one to chose?

    Home security: New build - no security system - which one to chose?


    New build - no security system - which one to chose?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm closing on a new build soon. It doesn't have any security system included, so I'm looking at my options.

    What I would need: - 3 door sensors - 9 window sensors (if there is a difference between door and window sensor...) - monitored service - pet over 50lbs, so motion detector is out, right? - moisture/water alarm for the basement - camera for outside (video doorbell?) - camera for inside - compatable with smartthings/alexa

    I looked at simplisafe, Cove and Ring. My issue is: I can't decide! I had simplisafe before and can't say anything bad about them. That was about 4 years ago, not sure what has changed.

    I'd prefer to have a keypad/control somewhere on the wall compared to a tablet (which I could probably mount somewhere too...).

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ItsMyTime2020
    [link] [comments]

    Security system won't power on when HDD is installed.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    I'm working with this security system which is an Odely model K8208-W. When there is no hard drive installed (how it comes by default), it powers on fine and functions without problems. It has a power adapter that has a solid blue light on it as you can see here. After installing this hard drive, the system refuses to power on and the power adapter flashes blue rather than the light staying solid blue.

    Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm thinking perhaps the HDD is pulling too much power? According to the manual, the HDD should be supported - it even fits inside perfectly.

    submitted by /u/_pmurtkcuf
    [link] [comments]

    Existing ADT System Usable Without ADT?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Seemingly common situation of buying a home with pre-existing ADT system. Arming/the alarm still 'works' (less monitoring of course), but my wife would like to have monitoring as well. After doing a little research, very clear that ADT is the devil and I want no part of paying them on a regular basis...

    So, wondering if 1) my system is repurposeable with a different monitoring service, and 2) what/if any suggestions y'all might have? From what I can gather it should be usable with a different monitoring system, but a little fuzzy on how best to move to something else and whether I can do it all myself (I am a techie/engineer though new to home security), or not. I'm in CT (Fairfield County) area in case that matters. Pics of system here: https://imgur.com/a/eqqHWJa

    Appreciate any tips/info, and happy to provide any other info too if helpful, thank you!

    submitted by /u/smegmanatee
    [link] [comments]

    Recent break in, seeking advice on blue iris etc

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    Double posting from blu iris I hope thats okay as theres more people here (I can delete later etc privacy)

    Would a DELL OPTIPLEX 7040 i5-6600 3.3GHZ 8GB RAM 500GB HDD DVD/RW FD9G482 work well with blue iris? $176

    could it run X3 5mp cameras and X2 4k cams at say 15 fps

    Looking at a $36 POE switch, $38 500 FT cat5 and that ebay pc.

    Not reading good things about lots of amazon cameras though like reolink.

    NOTE: I'm 1000% anti simplisafe, ADT,Arlo,Ring,Nest

    Know any decent actual home security systems? thought i seen one company site thats very cheap and diy idk.

    just came from ipcamtalk and had a recent experience with

    Fenderman

    sooo i came here instead, thank you reddit

    submitted by /u/KreaBytez
    [link] [comments]

    Roku apps

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    Just a commentary. Some systems might be available, just not for me. Anyhow...
    I have a Lorex system. Love the phone app, and the pc app works well, also. One thing I wish was available was a roku, or other smart TV app. My system runs 4k, would love to have easy access to it on my TV, which is not reasonable to run an hdmi cable from my nvr to.
    That is all.
    Edit: should add that my cameras, while they are ip, are segmented on my network with no route. Only the nvr is on my home network.

    submitted by /u/DrOrinScrivelloDDS
    [link] [comments]

    Help for a home security first timer?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm in a house for the first time after living in apartments. While I love the nice neighborhood, I've got baby-daddy drama and super concerned parents.

    I need a security system that is:

    -easy to install (or that has the option to pay someone to install it) -user friendly (I don't have the time or energy to more than push a button, and I'm not going to buy a whole computer just to house my own diy security system unless it's really, really easy to do) -simple (I don't need the whole kit n caboodle, just two cameras - I hear "hard wired" is the way to go?)

    I'd prefer a system that is self maintained, I don't want to have to ask permission to view my own videos. I heard that with RING you need a subscription just to keep recordings. I'd rather not do that.

    I'm sort of interested in the "smart house" thing where you can get all the things interconnected, but I'm living on teacher salary and still renting, so I don't think that's going to happen.

    Upon reading this, I guess I'm kind of picky. Bonus points if you can recommend a local home security company in Central Florida.

    Edit: I'd rather not have a video feed that only connects to my phone.

    submitted by /u/Olivis_Klothesoff
    [link] [comments]

    Do Simplisafe Smoke detectors also sound alarm if security system is tripped?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    I am getting ready to buy a system for a new property and was wondering if the Smoke detectors sound off when the security system is triggered? This would save me from having to put an extra siren in.

    submitted by /u/DangerRNGR
    [link] [comments]

    Good system that records video 24/7 and nothing else?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    Right now I'm using Vivint, which works reliably for recording clips when motion is detected and sending the alert to my iPhone. But the 24/7 playback is completely hit or miss. If it goes offline the only way to fix the issue is by calling support and having them fix the problem on their end. The company basically admitted that there's no way for me to troubleshoot the issue on my own in most circumstances. The playback is just not worth the extra $50 a month.

    What would be the best system that is basically just a hard drive and wired cameras, no extra complications getting in the way of storing around two weeks to a month of constantly recording video?

    submitted by /u/jbcs
    [link] [comments]

    cancelled ADT will i get refunded first months bill

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    i cancelled my ADT contract within the three day cancellation period and i have been refunded my one time payment fee but havent been refunded the first month they charged me for (they charged me for the end of august and for all of September the day of installation) will i get the monthly payment back i only had the system 2 days

    submitted by /u/im_a_noob0912
    [link] [comments]

    Commercial Security Alarm Software?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Just looking at cutting costs but does anyone know of any open source or cheapish monitored alarm software/solutions? I would like to cancel my Chubb Permaconn Monitoring service as I feel it's useless. All they do is just call if an alarm trips and nothing else happens on their end except to advise. I would like to know if there is an open source solution that can get an alert and either email/sms or call me or call a list of people until someone picks up, when an alert happens.

    edit: The alarm system is a Bosch 6000 and the invoices from Chubb show Permaconn Monitoring. Potentially something like this system or it's overkill? https://patriotsystems.com/solutions.aspx

    submitted by /u/M1S1EK
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision camera returns Device busy most of the time when getting screenshot

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm trying to build some small app that will take screenshot if something happens. My problem is that when I request screenshot http://192.168.1.64/Streaming/channels/101/picture or 192.168.1.64/onvif-http/snapshot?Profile_1 or even the ISAPI link, they work. But only occasionally. Often the camera returns <ResponseStatus xmlns="http://www.hikvision.com/ver10/XMLSchema" version="1.0"> <requestURL>/Streaming/channels/101/picture</requestURL> <statusCode>2</statusCode> <statusString>Device Busy</statusString> </ResponseStatus>

    Not sure what it is busy with, as I can normally view live stream. It is DS-2CD2385G1-I

    Not sure how to workaround it. Getting rtsp stream and taking screenshot seems overkill.

    Any ideas why this happens?

    submitted by /u/Pascalwb
    [link] [comments]

    Some recommendations for security cameras that I can also view live video from phone?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    I have been looking through amazon, and seen some ones, but im not sure if all of them have this feature.

    submitted by /u/munt4life123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment