• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 19, 2020

    Home security: Looking for fancy IP camera suggestions for urban cityscape

    Home security: Looking for fancy IP camera suggestions for urban cityscape


    Looking for fancy IP camera suggestions for urban cityscape

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    I'm in a high rise, and my balcony faces a busy urban area with lots of construction and street activity, as well as mountains and the horizon. This is more about soaking in all the interesting stuff happening outside, vs being part of a home security system. I'm looking for suggestions for IP cameras that would be best suited for this application. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts. The criteria I've settled on are:

    • PoE
    • PTZ
    • High zoom (at least 30x?)
    • Good night-time color performance, but IR likely irrelevant due to height and distance
    • Outdoor rated (but the weather is mild and there's also a balcony above mine)
    • Supports pole mount or standard tripod head: I can't drill into the wall, and I'd like to have temporary/portable installations
    • Not particularly large or heavy

    I don't know the search keywords or category camera that would fit the bill. All the camera models I've found are very expensive and very obscure: for example, the Axis Q6075-E seems like a good candidate, but Axis doesn't even have a marketing video for it, and I couldn't find anyone talking about that model.

    Despite this, I convinced myself that I wanted the Axis Q6075-E. But I'm having second thoughts. Despite the price, it's 'only' 1080p. The Axis Q6128-E is 4K but makes no claims about low-light performance. Also, despite their slick marketing, Axis seems to really not want randos buying their stuff. I'm aware of Hikvision and Dahua, but their higher end cameras are hard to find and aren't price-competitive, from what I can tell.

    My only prior experience with IP cameras is with the UVC G3. I've got one set up outside right now and the fidelity has been disappointing, day and night.

    submitted by /u/RushCareful
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for info

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    Hello! My husband and I just bought our first home and we are looking into getting home security. A company called Kangaroo popped up as an ad and it looks to be a good deal but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

    submitted by /u/reesypiecy12
    [link] [comments]

    Bugler in the garage - need advice on hardening the house

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    I had a break in last night, and apparently need to harden my home.

    Any advice on flood lights and motion detect cameras?

    submitted by /u/wongs7
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment door doesn’t have a peephole

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    I'm moving into a new apartment where the front door is a paneled glass door, so there isn't a peephole in it. The apartment building itself has an external door that is locked and luckily there is a camera where we can buzz people in if they ring our unit. However, I'm still a bit worried about people coming into the building and knocking on our door and not being able to see who's there without revealing myself. Has anyone else encountered this situation? Are there any alternatives I can consider? I realize that because of the style of the door a peephole can't be installed anyway, but it would be helpful to know how others have handled it.

    submitted by /u/darkphoenix188
    [link] [comments]

    Any hope for seemingly useless PoE IP webcams?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    So I have one, that seems to work. Its Motion Detection only. 2nd one. Diff brand, is completely useless. I don't know if its hacked, phone is (done factory reset), router is (new router. Changed administrator login).

    I posted (on my local cities sub) months ago about repeated nonforced entry, being followed and harassed (not schizophrenic, paranoid, etc. People are subtle enough to avoid legal issues- overt enough (throat slitting motions) to be real). Got bullshit nonanswers and seemingly gas lit only responses to Xb1 being plugged back in and in random games (you need a PW to even log on), the words "you're dead" burnt into wall, items missing/out of place/damaged.

    Recently, they've begun deactivating my "good" Webcam if I go anywhere and don't have it in real time feed (i.e at work and can't babysit app/camera), I've changed passwords. Emails. Etc. The useless one they simply disable 2 minutes after I plug in (again, changed everything.) The "useless" one is a 24/7 record option w motion detection options.

    Now, I dont know how they're doing it, but it is clear that after breaking up w someone who is a legitimate sociopath (was why I broke up. I stupidly called her on shit instead of becoming a gray rock and having her lose interest) who upon hearing my breakup, went on a monolgue that ended w "ill fund your suicide".

    I called cops over multiple times and they are hilariously inept/indifferent/corrupt. I called about "youre dead" being on my wall, "huh. They have bad grammer. Forgot the ' ". I called about a dirty pair of panties w shit stains hidden amongst my bathroom sink pipes "are they yours?" (I'm a dood and don't CD), I called about long black hair clogging my shower drain when I myself am buzz cut/losing hair after cancer "that happens sometimes ".. HAIR just appears in shower drains!? Never given report #s or proof of anything documented.

    Anyways. Their new game is coming in whichever way I dont have good camera facing, either window or door. So that tells me they've 1) hacked the camera 2) hacked my phone.

    Any recommendations for cheap setup? Or any way to set up router to be more secure? I was working at fast food but had to leave after moving towns and bus not being feasible.i get ssi + sell plasma and it covers bills+ a little extra, but i can't afford the NVR (?) Setups so am looking for something that'd work w current set up or under $100.

    Thank you for reading

    submitted by /u/Prinners37
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up reolink rlc-410 cameras

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    I'm trying setup two reolink cameras for my sister. I was looking at tp-link switches (one for $40 said p76 batteries required? And another for $50 didn't mention those at all) should I get that or would two injectors be better? She got two cheap injectors but they were 24v and not the 48v that they require. I was hoping to run two 10' cables from the roof to a switch/injectors and run one down to the router (which I'm going to have to move to a better spot.) Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/NotEstevez
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for single camera with wired power but no huge DVR.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    Hey guys and gals,

    its probably just me missing the simplest solution again but I am looking for over a week already so please hear me out.

    I just moved to an apartment on "raised ground floor" wich is nice since it comes with a small terrace that, with its own door and staircase, serves as separate entrance to the flat. Nice. Problem is, with it being so frequented, do not want to barricade it but still use it for storage of my bike and and kids trailer as well as a secure site for package delivery. Asides from the obvious measures (good locks, floodlight) a camera is the obvious choice to improve the situation. A single unit would suffice but I just don't trust in any of those flimsy battery cams (Argus, Arlo, Wyze, Blink, ...) but is the only other way to drop 250 bucks on an 8 channel DVR for a single camera?

    What I am looking for:

    • Proper (beefy) camera body. (Dome/turret style preferred)
    • Light weather resistance (outdoor but way under the roof.)
    • The higher the resolution, the better (obviously)
    • Night vision (IR)
    • Wired power (Mains power available, PoE possible with injector)
    • No expensive sever. (A RasPI e.g. would be totally fine)
    • Working software

    A camera like the Reolink D800 would check all my boxes and I definitely don't mind dropping €100 on a camera that quality, but €250 more for the only compatible 8ch DVR? There has to be a middle ground or solution.

    Thanks in advance for every hint.

    submitted by /u/Pumpken
    [link] [comments]

    Simplest VPN vs VLAN setup for isolating NVR + IP Cams? Feeling overwhelmed.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    I'm almost done wiring and installing my camera system. It's a hikvision system branded by Nelly's. "H-Series"

    I have a very rudimentary home network that is simple and it works. I have a Motorola modem and a mesh router system. That's it.

    I'd like to figure out a simple way to increase the security of my security camera system while maintaining the ability to access the feeds remotely easily. But I have a few questions about what the best way to go forward is. This isn't really a hobby of mine, and i'm trying to find a system I can do once, correctly, and have to perform somewhat minimal maintenance on going forward if possible.

    Also, am I overthinking this?....

    I considered running OpenVPN on a Pi (or getting a Netgear VPN Router, but i like my current mesh system already...) but i'm wondering how complicated / annoying it would be to have to use a VPN every time we wanted to look at the cameras or change the thermostat temperature etc. Would my wife be able to figure it out from her phone? Would we be required to use the VPN to access ALL devices on my network, including for example, my nest thermostat? If anyone already does this and can comment on how much of a pain in the a** it is or isn't, that would be appreciated.

    Alternatively, what are the pros and cons of creating a VLAN on the network to isolate the cameras, as opposed to a whole-network VPN? Is there a general consensus on the best way to go? I understand a remote-access VPN would encrypt the traffic both ways, but i'm unsure if that's really necessary, or if a VLAN as a way to "hide" the ports of the NVR is a simpler solution. Does the VLAN get password protected? Is it easy to access remotely? Does it actually provide that much security?

    If a VLAN is the way to go, do i just need to add a switch between my router and my NVR? Would I have to install any special apps on our phones to be able to remote-view the cameras?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/SampsonRustic
    [link] [comments]

    DoorBell cam and Video Cameras

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    What does everyone suggest for a cloud-based doorbell cam and Video Cameras system? I would like to go with the same brand if possible. I have a google mesh wifi which I can run POE ethernet to the camera if needed and or electric and doorbell wireless if possible. I would probably add on the cameras in the future.

    submitted by /u/snowboarding420
    [link] [comments]

    Best 360 degree with audio security camera? That allows to zoom in out. Etc

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    Security Techs

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    Technicians - curious to what intrigued you to get in to the field of security alarm systems and what do you enjoy most about it?

    submitted by /u/Firealarmlife
    [link] [comments]

    One Mad Lockdown

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    Has anyone experienced with the Lorex model W281AAC-F?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    Costco has this Lorex outdoor Wifi security camera (W281AAC-F) for $130 CDN. I can't find any review anywhere on the internet or Youtube. Does anyone here has experienced with this camera?

    submitted by /u/WasabiTdi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment