• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 18, 2020

    Home Improvement: Pantry renovation removing wire shelves.

    Home Improvement: Pantry renovation removing wire shelves.


    Pantry renovation removing wire shelves.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    I've always hated the wire shelves that have been our pantry. Following our recent kitchen renovation, I wanted to build wood shelves.

    The shelves were built with 3/4 birch ply with a 2 inch edge banding from 5/4 poplar with a rabbet for the ply. Supports along the wall were 5/4 pine. Given the quality of the pine and the infinitesimally small price difference between the two, I'd have gone all poplar.

    With the shelves down and the old holes filled, threw up a coat of Kilz and then out up the supports and cut the shelves to fit, removed everything to paint the shelves and pantry.

    Painting done, my oldest ran the low voltage wires and the wire for the outlet from the pantry switch.

    Shelves were finished with Renner 2k Urethane. Two coats of primer and two finish coats with sanding in between. I let my oldest spray the primer for practice and then the bottoms of the shelves.

    Threw up the shelves, secured with screws. Light channels were stapled underneath, ran the lights and soldered the wires.

    In all about a 10 day project with some cycling and swimming in between. Longest part was waiting for paint to dry, each coat took a day.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/IcHMZvt

    submitted by /u/crabby_old_dude
    [link] [comments]

    In closing on first home, discovered negative grade - picture attached - advice?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    Like the title states, my fiance and I are in the process of closing on our first home. We learned from the home inspection and now structural engineer that the home has a negative grade on its left wall when facing the house. We're waiting on the structural engineer's report, but am curious if any fellow redditors here have experienced similar and what they did / cost to repair? I think the biggest problem with any regrading is that the driveway of the home is ~18" from the house. There is also a crawlspace vent on that side of the home as well.

    Picture attached. It appears the driveway is slightly sloping toward the house as well. Would a drainage trough and vent well be enough? Or are we looking at regrading the entire side of that home?

    https://imgur.com/a/MA0dmIV

    Edit: Adding image of backside of the property as potential water diversion:

    https://imgur.com/a/iEOrSsg

    submitted by /u/Dr3amCast89
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a laminate floor with no transitions

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    Should I replace these exterior floorboards on my doorstep?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    I am replacing the door stops on my door frame, which led me to pull up the threshold since it was in bad shape and I figured I could just replace it. I noticed the outside floorboards underneath it end right underneath the threshold. They're about 100 years old and don't look great, so I'm wondering if I should just buy a couple new floorboards, cut them to size, and replace. My only concern is that it looks like the outside pieces go under the door frame/jamb, and might require me to remove the entire door frame, which I don't want to do. Here is a closer image of the sides.

    Should I replace these with new boards? If so, can I do it by leaving the two outermost boards, and just saw out the tongue of one of the boards so I can drop it right in and not have to remove the side boards? FYI that white stuff between the boards is not mold, it's caulk.

    Lastly, if I do this, what type of flooring do I buy at Lowes? Is there a certain type that is treated for outside use or should I just paint it? I looked up tongue and groove pine decking flooring but that looks way too thick. The current flooring is only 3/4" thick. Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/sbgriffin
    [link] [comments]

    I should have burned the whole pile in place. now there are spiders/spiderwebs EVERYWHERE.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    During a backyard renovation of a house we newly moved into, I was tasked with getting rid of a pile of old rotting firewood about 4 cubic yards in size. This pile seemed as if it had been there for decades, and it was in pretty bad shape. During the slow removal process (gloves and a wheel barrow) I uncovered hundreds upon hundreds of spider eggs/nests. Now, five months later, there are spiders webs in every conceivable location a spider web could be. Luckily they haven't made there way inside, but you cant walk out the front or back door without walking straight into a spiderweb. I've unfortunately notice them on the rafters tails and facia of the neighbors house as well, although they haven't mentioned anything. Is there anything I can do short of calling an exterminator to remedy this issue or do I just have to let nature take its course and hopefully they thin out over time?

    submitted by /u/beerandgranite
    [link] [comments]

    Chimney Repair - replaced brick with...mortar?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    I'm a little lost. We had a stonemason come and do some repairs on our chimneys since we had a few cracked/spalling bricks. This company removed the bricks, but then instead of putting in a new brick, just filled the gap with mortar because he said the color match would be better. Is this normal? At the time I was too frazzled to ask more questions about it but the more I think about it the more this seems...weird. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Will it cause any damage to my chimneys?

    submitted by /u/buttercupcake23
    [link] [comments]

    Replace soffit vents

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    So I redid the insulation in my attic in July (miserable experience, don't make my mistake). I have ridge vents and realized that part of the reason it was so hot in there was that there wasn't enough air coming in the soffit vents.

    The soffits have very few vent holes. I can buy new vinyl pieces with more bent holes pretty easily.

    However, I'm totally burned out on DIY work right now and headed into my busy season for work. What type of contractor do I reach out to if I just want the soffit vents replaced?

    submitted by /u/idliketobeanon97
    [link] [comments]

    Should I fill these joints with polymeric sand?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/HWfewc6

    I'm tired of killing the weeds. Plus doesn't the polymeric sand help prevent shifting of the bricks? Can I just sweep it on or do I need to scrape out what I can between the bricks first?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ztbq48
    [link] [comments]

    Filling in a basement window

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 08:03 AM PDT

    I bought an old Frankenhouse (the original structure built in 1939 with various add-ons since then) that has a partial basement that will never be finished or used for anything other than basement-installed utilities.

    There are two of these windows, both in disrepair, that do not seem to serve any purpose.

    Window: https://i.imgur.com/S5mvmUG.jpg

    I want to fill them in for two reasons:

    1. The water-tightness of the basement is abysmal. There are multiple pipe penetrations through the wall that freely leak water into the basement. Water also gets in through these windows. Though not very much, I still want to seal every potential intrusion point.
    2. I want to raise the grade against that wall of the house. The grade slopes toward the house on that side, exacerbating the water intrusion into the basement. I want to raise the grade to 6-8" from the siding, putting it a third of the way up the window. I could get a window well, but I'd prefer to remove the window entirely. I live in an area that measures snowfall in feet vice inches (NE US), so I feel it is easier to eliminate the problem versus mitigating it.

    What are your thoughts on how to go about fixing these windows? Any advice or ideas is welcomed and appreciated!

    submitted by /u/MarauderV8
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to clean (mildew) stained shower grout?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Can't afford a full bathroom renovation so I'm trying to clean the existing grout. I want to bring it back to its original color. I've tried Kaboom spray product but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/yAx8JdF

    submitted by /u/richard_stank
    [link] [comments]

    I had this gas dryer vent installed today, and I don't feel safe about it. This can't be right.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    I had this gas dryer vent installed today by my landlords contractor. They vented it through the existing gas hot water heater vent that goes to the roof flue. They could not vent the dryer on one of the outside walls for some reason. I don't feel this is safe because won't lint get trapped in this pipe? What about carbon monoxide coming through the dryer went the hot water heater is running and the dryer is off, won't it backfeed through my dryer?

    4 images attached here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/a/X2Lmj3y

    submitted by /u/Jonb26b
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house, crawl space humidity is 80%+. Any chance I can avoid a dehumidifier?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    Living in NC. When walking down to the crawl space there's a definite musty smell. Around 400 square feet.

    The crawl space has a vapor barrier on the ground, but not the sidewalls. One crawl space vent wasn't sealed, I just put in two stacked pieces of garage door foam insulation to seal it for now. Sump pump wasn't working, the well is filled with water, and plumbers are replacing tomorrow. Radon kit will be installed soon also.

    submitted by /u/pvpplease
    [link] [comments]

    Attic flooring for storage: tongue and groove, or 3/4 plywood?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    Which is the simplest/quickest to install if my attic just has joists? I will only be using this space for light storage

    submitted by /u/swerve408
    [link] [comments]

    How to add insulation to my attic

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, pretty new to the whole home improvement stuff. Thinking about adding insulation to my unfinished attic so it can be more than just a storage room. Won't be turned into a bedroom or anything, just a space to relax in. Is it possible for me to do this in my own? The ceilings are pretty high so that might be the only part I'll need help with. Has anyone insulated their attic themselves? Any advice? Also how can I determine how much I need to purchase? And anyone who's done it themselves, how much did it cost you? (I know it varies based on your attic but I just want an idea)

    Edit: I would prefer to do it myself than hiring someone just to save myself the money lol also if anyone has a tutorial that's extremely helpful please pm it to me! My state also recommends anything between R49 and R60

    submitted by /u/pugs37
    [link] [comments]

    Old stove needs to go

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    Hi all, we just purchased a home last year. The home (log home) has a coal burning stove upstairs that is broken, and a pellet stove downstairs (that I think works). We did not use them last winter. When we did our home inspection the guy said that the coal burning stove was too big for the space it was in. Since it is broken, we are trying to decide if we should get rid of it, and free up the space. Who would we call for that? It's pretty heavy, I doubt we would be able to move by ourselves. Picture at the bottom. There is a plastic bag taped over the door because we have cats, and an open space is just an invitation to trouble for them!

    https://imgur.com/a/fJquq7m

    submitted by /u/leighaorie
    [link] [comments]

    House does not cool easily

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 04:59 AM PDT

    So I'm in Canada with a small 60 year old house which does not easily cool. The basement can be freezing at times but the main level of the home (it is 1 story plus basement) will always stay warm. Furnace is new and AC is new (this year) and even if it runs 24/7 the main level will not cool below say 23 degrees. Last night it was 13 degrees outside and my house dropped a whopping 0.5 degrees down to 22.5 with every window left open to let the cool air in. We have blackout curtains for during the day to help keep the heat out when it is sunny but even if the duct work is bad, you'd think it would cool down when it is colder out and every window is open. I also feel like if the windows were bad it would certainly not help with the AC but probably would assist when we turn the AC off and let the fresh air in so I'm not sure where to start in trying to figure out how to cool the house down or figure out where the heat is coming from.

    As a note, this is the house that jack built. The person who owned the house before us watched a lot of HGTV but never read a manual so if honestly could be anything causing the heat to not escape.

    Where should I start looking to see what could be causing the issue ?

    submitted by /u/Pickletits91
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice with unexpected discovery

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    EDIT: We're in northern OR.

    Hello! This morning I began my project to replace the mantel/surround on my fireplace. The goal was to replace it with a kit, nothing fancy, but when I finally popped the surround off I found.. something. This is what I saw. Because it doesn't seem to match any of the youtubers/bloggers/friends projects I'm working off of I have no idea what to do next or if it's safe (or possible?) to use a surround kit.

    Is this a sign that a contractor is necessary? Or with some patience can a novice figure it out? Is this a truly unusual find or am I just naive? TIA.

    submitted by /u/velveteen-
    [link] [comments]

    Crumbling Drywall Around Air Vent - Return Grille Won't Stay Up

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    • Pics here
    • One of our return grilles fell off last night. The drywall is clearly crumbling around it. I don't seem to be able to reattach it due to the poor state of the drywall around the vent. I tried adding some drywall anchors inside but they just pulled straight out when I turned the air back on.
    • What is the best option to get this grille reattached and covering the vent? We usually keep this vent closed so as to route more air to our bedroom rather than this one in the office.
    • Would appreciate any guidance!
    submitted by /u/Rhett_Rick
    [link] [comments]

    Paint color advice needed. Should the ceiling be a different color? Should I have different colors in different areas? Thanks!

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    Advice on updating garage lighting

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    So just moved into a new condo and the garage has some jury-rigged lighting. Power source is coming from a light fixture with a light bulb socket > plug adapter. from there, a cheap extension cord (no grounding) is stapled to the ceiling to some garage lights. Please see picture below to take in the full effect.

    light bulb socket

    extension cord stapled

    lights

    What is the best solution to make this set up clean and safe without major work such as cutting the drywall? Currently i'm thinking of replacing the wall light fixture to a outlet and just a quality extension cable to the lights but i am not too creative so i dont know if im missing a obvious solution. I'm really open to any and all ideas.

    ideally my budget would be minimal as i just want to make it look decent and safe but if it's just a little more spend for a better solution, please let me know.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/roboroaster
    [link] [comments]

    Sewer smell keeps happening in our house. Easy fix or time to call the plumber?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. Disclaimer: I am the worlds worst non-plumber. Electrical? Easy. Drywall? No problem. Plumbing? I'm a child. I don't know the real names of everything and I'm pretty ignorant but hoping to learn. Our house is 30 years old.

    We noticed a sewer smell coming from our basement, thankfully no back up. We poured water into all our drains, because someone told us once that that can be an issue if they dry up.

    What we have noticed is the smell is coming from the drain pipe in the floor of our mechanical room (theres a water hose from our furnace humidifier that drains in the hole).

    The first time it happened, we saw the water inside was pretty gross and so we flushed it with water from the tap and the water cleared up and the smell went away.

    Now it's happened two more times. We haven't ever had any sewage back ups, and nothing has poured out of the hole or anything. Any idea what could be causing this? Is it normal or should we be calling a plumber?

    My final question, that I'm dreading... does this sound expensive? :(

    submitted by /u/cantthink0fanything
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove that box above range microwaves?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    I hope I'm explaining this well enough. I have a microwave that hangs above the stove/oven. I'm attempting to tear out my cabinets to create open shelving. I've already removed the microwave, but there's a silver box in the cabinets above the microwave. The only thing it seems attached to is the cabinet itself and (I'm assuming) the wall. I can't see any cords, just a large box.

    How do I remove this? Or better yet, can I remove this, or is it a necessary kitchen feature?

    submitted by /u/unhappy_dedication
    [link] [comments]

    Ring doorbell and outdoors cameras

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    Looking into the Ring doorbell along with a couple outside cameras with lights (also the ring brand) does anybody have ring? Pros/cons? Or anybody who looked into it but decided to go with another option why? Or in general any other brand, do you like it why or why not?

    submitted by /u/Briy5426
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove foam and hideous wall panels

    Posted: 18 Aug 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    I bought the house about a year ago and it's finally time to remove this hideous work of a questionable previous owner in my half-finished basement. I'd rather have unfinished walls than this...I don't even know what its called? Plastic paneling from the 80s? I'm no pro but even I know this isn't the right way to finish a basement. They put up the frame, filled in the spaces with pink roll foam, and then slapped this hideous paneling up.

    So my question is: how do I safely remove this paneling AND the pink foam/fiberglass behind and around it? What tools and gear should I have on hand? Can I remove the roll/bagged pink foam without the hullabaloo of a shop vac and such? I'm assuming I'll need more protection for the loose foam you see.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/vFXzdxZ

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/goodnightneu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment