• Breaking News

    Friday, August 7, 2020

    Home security: Bought an house with old security system? Reuse window sensors?

    Home security: Bought an house with old security system? Reuse window sensors?


    Bought an house with old security system? Reuse window sensors?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:42 AM PDT

    Great video on personal safety when exiting your home garage and what to do to mitigate risk.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    Which 2 cameras for patio? Dahua IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 or Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-I 8MP (patio plan included)

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    EDIT: I fucked up the title. The hikvision I was referring is: DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP

    First a little bit of my setup. I have a server using a Ryzen 3950x and plenty of storage (currently 80TB) where I run BlueIris inside a Windows VM. Storage and cpu power is probably not a limiting factor in my case I think because of the number of cameras that I have:

    I currently have 2 * Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP which I use indoor and in my backyard (which is really small, 2m * 3m). In total I would have four 4k cameras.

    This is the patio: https://imgur.com/a/RpZNcLj with dimensions and placement of the two cameras (red circles).

    I'm planning on adding two cameras to cover my main patio and I saw this Dahua which is varifocal, so that would be an huge advantage over the Hikvision which are fixed (2.8, 4 or 6mm) lens.

    There are street lamps nearby and I also have Philips hue lights which I could trigger to turn on on any motion if that's needed to help for night vision.

    Price on both cameras is similar and is within my budget.

    How do these two cameras image quality compare? The hikvision one limits @ 16834kbps while the Dahua one limits @ 8192 kbps.

    Anybody can give me their opinion? (or recommend a different camera).

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/_HyDRaD_
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for well integrated door sensor and siren system, after a burglary.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Hello, recently we had our home (that I rent from my father in law) broken into by a junkie. I don't want to go into all the details but I have decided that I want a chance to defend myself if this should ever happen again, (we werent harmed but they could have easily killed all of us in our sleep). As such I have simple requirements, the police wont get to us in time and I dont care if someone breaks into my house while im not there, so I do not want an external monitoring service. At all. All I want is an alarm system that is well integrated, has phone apps, is loud as hell (hopefully that will be enough to deter them, otherwise my defensive weapon will be used). And most importantly wake me up. I am a heavy sleeper, waking me up is very hard, so it must be very loud. I would like it to also have a keypad as well as the phone app.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AudioTechYo
    [link] [comments]

    Wood vs Metal fence. Is metal worth it?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:39 AM PDT

    We're buying a house and need to build a fence. From researching, and just personal experience, a 6ft wood fence is not really hard to climb over. I was thinking of pricing out a metal fence with an ornamental top, kindof what you see in apartment complexes with little metal spears. Does anyone have any opinion about metal fencing vs wood, security wise?

    submitted by /u/naturaljim
    [link] [comments]

    Low Battery Warning on Vista 20P

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I recently plugged back in a Vista 20P system in a house that we purchased a little while ago. It was unplugged by the previous owner. I've got a low battery warning on my keypad (wired). I replaced, fully charged, and conditioned the replacement battery and it's been in there for about a week.

    I do have RF devices on this control panel. Actually I think most of the sensors are wireless. Is it possible that the low battery warning is for something other than the backup battery? If so, how do I determine what it's referring to?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/IWTLEverything
    [link] [comments]

    Conduit vs PVC for outdoor wire protection

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Hey,

    Later this month, I'm gonna be wiring some cameras. This will be on the front, back and both sides of the house. That being said, is it better to use cheap plastic PVC pipes, or metal conduit pipes? I'm only doing this because of my 2 story house with the attic being up very high.

    What are the chances or someone bringing a 24 foot ladder and cutting up the PVC? I live in a rainy climate, so would PVC trap water more than metal conduit? Would it even matter since the wires should be water proof.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Competitive_Cherry11
    [link] [comments]

    The Best Home Security Cameras of 2020

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Me and my parents live outside of the city and there is no wifi available here, anyone have any recommendations on cameras?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    We live in a farm area down in texas and there's been multiple home robberies where people get their homes emptied and we've had our home broken into before, it's a pretty shady area here since it's outside the city and it's surrounding one of the bad cities in my area.

    Me and my Dad want cameras and we'd feel much more safe that way and we're looking for cameras that i can look at through my phone maybe live feed if possible, is there anything like a 4g camera or something i can see from our phones without any wifi?

    submitted by /u/KinkyPinkHighTeck
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to find an 8ch DVR that I can access remotely via app

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    I am trying to find one that can connect to my network via WiFI as running an ethernet to the router from where the DVR needs to be is going to be a pain

    submitted by /u/Grifftech
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment