• Breaking News

    Friday, August 7, 2020

    Home Improvement: Redeemed my shitty tile job!

    Home Improvement: Redeemed my shitty tile job!


    Redeemed my shitty tile job!

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:08 PM PDT

    Yesterday I posted about how awful my attempt at tiling my laundry room was going. Got some great advice from people on this subreddit and was able to complete the project when I was ready to throw in the towel.

    Is it perfect? Nah. But I'm still proud for not giving up!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/JfAMhFP

    submitted by /u/kmkrhb
    [link] [comments]

    A haiku to the former owner of my home

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    You did a shit job

    Nothing you fixed works at all

    Fuck you so hard, Dan

    submitted by /u/SuperSecretSpare
    [link] [comments]

    I also wrote a haiku to the previous owner of my house

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    Clarence, you're the worst

    You let the band joists rot to shit

    The hostas are quite nice

    submitted by /u/barneyskywalker
    [link] [comments]

    Soundproof windows!

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    I recently moved into a new apartment near a noisy bar. As a light sleeper, I would really like to soundproof my windows, but I'm unable to do any actual construction due to renting. Does anyone have ideas/instructions on how to sound proof or at least limit the sound coming into my bedroom?

    submitted by /u/slothievcu
    [link] [comments]

    Basement humidity/dehumidifier

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    So the past few weeks has been 70-90% humidity and I can't seem to get my basement under 45% RH, dehumidifier is made for basements...so I'm wondering is there a way to see where the humidity is coming from or is it normal based on how humid it is outside?

    submitted by /u/Johncamp28
    [link] [comments]

    Go Getter Single Mom who wants to learn home improvement skills and needs some tips.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    Logan, UT...5 years ago my husband left me for another woman, I was pregnant with our youngest and we were in the middle of a home remodel. I got the house in the divorce. It was a fixer-upper when we bought it and my ex and I learned some things as we went. It's lovely to have a place for me and the children ...but there's a lot still to be done. I've slowly done some projects but lack a lot of the tools as he took them. I've borrowed some, bought some but I'd like to start building a tool collection. I have basic screwdrivers, hammer, a drill, saw, wrench, shop-vac. But many of my projects will require more expensive power tools. Renting is expensive. I borrow when I can but feel bad asking all the time to borrow people's tools and I'm sure it's good to have my own. Where can I find inexpensive tools?

    I've researched grants and loans, I've called habitat for humanity. I don't want a hand out, I want to learn how to do things so that I can teach my boys. I consider myself book smart but when it comes to power tools and measuring things I get overwhelmed. I'm willing to power through and learn. However I can't find a community program that teaches home improvement skills. I use YouTube, and google, wikiHow and I've fixed many things. But I want to start some bigger projects like fixing the deck so that it survives the winter, replacing facia, installing gutter, painting the concrete walls and ceiling downstairs to create a study/play area. I know I'll need a saw and a paint sprayer....and probably other things I haven't thought of. Does anyone have experience finding community support for learning how to DIY? Where did you go? And where is a good place to buy less expensive tools? Or a community group of people that share tools? Is that a thing? I'm not above yard sales, thrifting, etc. are these effective measures to find tools? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Blondieboymomma
    [link] [comments]

    Repair vs Replace 170 year old slate roof that has been piecemail repaired for over a century

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I've made an offer to purchase a 170 year old renovated church that has a black(soft) slate roof. It appears that the previous various owners have taken the strategy of piece mail replacing sections of slate for a very long time.

    This means that many tile all over the roof are probably reaching or past the end of their potential life while there are also many pieces that still probably have a lot of life left scattered throughout as well.

    How does slate fail? Can the roof basically be kept serviceable indefinitely by fixing roof sections piece by piece or at a certain point do you always eventually need to rip everything up and start from scratch?

    It's worth noting that starting from scratch is going to cost absolute minimum $100k but maybe more like $150k or up so this is not a small decision.

    submitted by /u/anm89
    [link] [comments]

    Gap between wood column and concrete pier in foundation

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys. We just bought a house and the inspection report indicated a slight gap between the wood column under the corner room and the concrete pier just underneath. Looks like the concrete pier settled in the crawlspace causing the gap b/w that and the wood just above.. Had a quote from a foundation guy, which is pretty pricey. What are your thoughts on the most economical way of fixing such an issue? Is pouring new concrete around the existing pier to connect the old concrete a stop-gap solution that might provide some support for the beam? Based on previous owner, seems like this has been like this for at least 5 years when they themselves bought the house. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thx.

    submitted by /u/Phoeniyx
    [link] [comments]

    Finding Replacement or Reproduction Floor Furnace Register

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Hi. Having trouble finding this. Can find a lot but none near the size I need or quite like what I need. I have a floor furnace (works great in my small house).

    My cat recently has started playing with the registers so trying to fix them. One side has a leg broken off (can see in one pic) the other side is missing the thing that keeps it in place not even sure what to call it. It screws on and has a set screw. Pic in other pic.

    The cat has pulled both side off and I am afraid he will get under the house or trapped or injure himself so trying to fix it. Any places that make custom ones? All the ones I find seem to max out at 12x12 or 14x14 this is 17 1/4" w x 12 1/4" h also almost everyone I have found uses a screw attachment this slots in folds up and then that set screw thing keeps it in place. register

    submitted by /u/gaff2049
    [link] [comments]

    Basement stall shower

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    I have an old stall shower in my basement that is falling apart. Currently the only use it gets is as a drain for my dehumidifier, I'm worried to continue using it this way as the sides of it are rusting/peeling off at the bottom & im worried that the water may not be draining out as it should. There are dark stains on the basement floor about half an inch out from the frame of the shower all around. Am I safe to keep using it this way or should I tear it out? If I tear it out, how easy would it be to just install a big drain in its place? Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Mister_Rogers69
    [link] [comments]

    How do I cleanly remove these rail posts?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/Kzl8Roe

    I'm planning on replacing my rusted steel posts and handrails with wooden ones and am wondering how to cleanly remove the posts. I think I'll end up putting the new post bases about where the existing metal posts are sunk into the concrete. I don't think I could precisely use a recip saw or an angle grinder to cut the posts right at the top of the concrete. I'm sure I'd botch that by either leaving behind too much or by nicking the concrete in too many places. I think the right approach for me might be to cut the posts off a few inches up from the surface to get the whole rail assembly out of the way, then repeatedly drill into the surrounding concrete (that ~ 2" circular region) until the remaining post comes loose. I have no idea how deep the posts are sunk.

    Thoughts? How would you do it?

    submitted by /u/rolozo
    [link] [comments]

    In Floor Heating

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    We bought a house with in floor heating. We thought this was fantastic and visualized it must look like how it shows it on home improvement programs.

    We decided to take the ceiling down in the main floor room to put up some sound proofing insulation as there is a bedroom above it. We were surprised at what we found to be our "in floor heating".

    I guess what we want to know is, is this normal? House was built in the early 90s. Now we realize why our gas bill is enormous. Does anything think by putting the insulation around it, it will help keep the heat into the upper floor better?

    In Floor Heating Image here. (First time posting image, hope link works)

    submitted by /u/Devilscourt
    [link] [comments]

    Can I tile over painted concrete floors?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    I had an asbestos remediation company come remove asbestos tiles from the bedrooms of my home, thinking that there was 1950s terrazzo under the asbestos tiles. Sadly, all I have is ugly concrete floors with the brown mastic lines from where the tiles had been glued down for 50 years.

    I want to wait to tile the bedrooms until I have the old tile in the rest of the house removed (I may need the remediators to come out again). Can I paint the concrete floors in the bedrooms and then tile over that later, or will the tile adhesive not bond to paint?

    submitted by /u/Dilettantest
    [link] [comments]

    Garage door doesn't open on every press?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    Using the wall mount, the garage door lift buttton only works after 5-15 tries, but the light button works every time. Anyone know what would be causing this issue?

    submitted by /u/jeru_thedamaja
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice refitting cabinet door

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    The cabinet door just fell off our bathroom sink vanity and it seems the holes it was screwed into have been used a few too many times, meaning there is nothing to screw the hinge into. Is there anything I can get to fill the holes and then screw the hinge into? Or is there a better way?

    submitted by /u/gruff011
    [link] [comments]

    How can I lock my garage door when the opener is broken?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    This is similar to my garage door opener. http://elitegaragedoorrepairinc.com/about-us/

    From the error code, I believe it needs a new motor. I need to be able to lock it so people can't just lift it up from the outside and walk into my garage. I read the use manual and I see no mention of it. Thanks!

    Edit: I got it! Just put a piece of pipe into the slides to prevent it from rolling. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/weirdheadcrab
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas to update the exterior of our new home?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    Recently bought a house on a corner lot. I am trying to think of ideas for the exterior of the home. The yard is a work in progress that will help. We do not like the off white siding - but I am not sure if just changing it to white would give us the fresh look we want? We love the red brick (we need to stain the mortar repair that was done by previous owner) - I just can't think of ways to update.

    submitted by /u/ipromiseilikegirls
    [link] [comments]

    Redoing my front entry

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Bought a house a few years ago. We've been redoing little areas slowly ever since.

    I'm working on the front porch now and I'm pretty sure the front threshold is missing something but I don't know what it's called or how to buy something to fix it.

    Here's the door/threshold: https://imgur.com/gallery/Uwwo93A

    Something goes over the wood, right?

    submitted by /u/tri_nisvx
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom slight upgrade, but I might have messed up.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    I decided to clean up my bathroom which had some mold growing around the top of the back splash in the shower embedded in the caulking and also on top of the bath tub caulking. So, I was going re caulk the whole thing and also going to repaint because the paint in the bathroom was peeling in areas.

    Some problems I encountered while I was taking off the paint, I ripped some of the paint and paper on the ceiling and walls.

    So here's where I really screwed up, I didnt know they primed the walls before placing any joint compound on the walls with torn paper.

    I just threw up some joint compound on walls with just bare paper. I'm at the point where I know I've screwed up but how bad is it if a bathroom 8 x 9 feet, and about 3/4 of the ceiling was damaged by removing the paint and I foolishly just threw up joint compound by itself?

    Tell me what are consequences of this massive screw up. Everything right now just needs to be sanded and primed for paint. Too late to back track.

    submitted by /u/Croc_Top
    [link] [comments]

    Water heater needs a touch to start.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    So I got in the shower the other day after my wife went to work and and no hot water for me or lukewarm actually. Piliot light is on but the burner was not firing up. I rotated heat setting back and forth, then I cleaned some ash off the top of main gas line to burner with a screw driver and it fired up . Once it went off it didnt refire later until I did that again. At one point it did fire up on its own when I turned up the temp setting. Right now I have hot water but its not fireing up burner, so I wanted to see if it would if I touched the top of gas supply line again and it did. So I'm confused, is that happening because I'm actually grounding the supply line with screwdriver? If so do I have a thermostat issue or thermocouple issue. Piliot light has been on the entire time. Any ideas? https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/95tnhP1IAFd9 Valid until: 08-09-2020

    submitted by /u/Yonan01
    [link] [comments]

    I think I mounted my TV on Dry Wall. [advice needed]

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    To put it short I used a Stud finder which I now believe gave me false positives, and I may have foolishly installed and mounted my TV on dry wall.

    The issue is I won't be back at this place for at least 1 week. The TV is about 25~30 pounds at most, and its 43 inches.

    Should I be worried? Will it hold my TV for some time? Or is it likely I'm going to return to a broken TV and a destroyed wall? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/1stNone
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me whether I have laminate or vinyl flooring? (Problem included below)

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    https://ibb.co/xzFssWM https://ibb.co/cyj01B8

    Hopefully those pictures work. Let me know if not.

    I'm not sure if I have vinyl or laminate flooring (and whether it's glued or floating) but either way I have an increasingly bad set of problems consisting of: •soft spots in the floor •separating boards •buckling boards •one cracked area by buckling boards

    If floating, is ensuring proper expansion under the baseboards the only way to remedy this? Any other tips?

    Regarding the low/soft spots: Wondering if drilling and injecting expanding foam under the board somehow will help, or if I should take the flooring up and level properly. Any help is very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/anon__34
    [link] [comments]

    Chunk missing from brick in chimney. Best way repair.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    the house is 90 years old.

    Have a couple bricks that have a in chunk missing and couple spots of mortar to repair.

    Wondering best way to make the brick look whole.

    I was thinking of getting some red color for cement/concrete and mixing it in the mortar to try match the color and fill in to make the brick look whole.

    Any other or better ways to fix it

    submitted by /u/johnyj7657
    [link] [comments]

    Standing Water in Gutters

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    So I have a bunch of 90 degree turns on the back of my house and they rusted out. I had a gutter guy come out and he gave me 2 options.

    1. Replace section of gutters and slope the gutters more aggressively. Put a large mouth on the Downspouts and live my life.
    2. Replace all gutters, downspouts and add a down spot in this area. It's directly over my deck and the worse spot is directly over the middle of the door.

    I went option 1. He said it would be good and would only maybe have an issue in heavy heavy rain but the house is 20years old so we should get 20years before they rust and leak. Fast forward 4 months and it's leaking.

    I had a 2nd gutter guy out to clean the whole system and downspouts and he said it's too flat but with all the 90s it's as good as it can get. He said only way to fix it is to redo whole system.

    So reddit.... any 3rd option? I just need to seal it so water doesn't drip onto me when I walk outside after it rains. It also holds water for days so when it rains off and on all week it sucks.

    Secret option 3? Flex seal? Wedge in gutter to force the slope by making the gutter slightly smaller? Lots of flex seal? I don't love heights but I can go up and try something.

    Looking for ideas to try things...

    submitted by /u/AU_Thach
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment