• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 23, 2020

    Home Improvement: Hi just wondering what people think of putting the washing machine and dryer upstairs in a house?

    Home Improvement: Hi just wondering what people think of putting the washing machine and dryer upstairs in a house?


    Hi just wondering what people think of putting the washing machine and dryer upstairs in a house?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    My dad is doing an extension to our house and he's thought of doing this as it removes the reason to have a larger utility downstairs. We're just worried there's something we've not thought about that we should consider

    submitted by /u/SHoo98
    [link] [comments]

    Help please: I replaced 10 electrical outlets today, and now some outlets that I didn’t even touch are not working.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    • None of the breakers are tripped

    • GFCI outlet resets and is working fine.

    I've been painting, and replacing old outlets and switches. I did two rooms with no problems at all. All the outlets worked.

    Today I did another two rooms, and now a number of outlets throughout the house are not working.

    I'm thinking that all the nonworking outlets are on the same circuit, but I don't know how to find where the problem is.

    Edit: I got a outlet tester, and the bad outlets are saying they have a hot/ground reverse.

    I'm not sure how to fix that though... Could my ground wire, which is bare copper in every single outlet, be touching a hot terminal?

    Edit 2: Ugh... I just opened up every single outlet, and the four switches I did today. I cannot find the issue. All the hot wires are attached to the brass screws, all the neutral wires are attached to the silver screws. I used a shepherds hook and side wired each one. As far as I can tell none of the ground wires (which are bare) seem to be touching an exposed hot wire. I remove the fins only on outlets hooked to a light switch.

    I just don't know what to do. I'm not a fucking moron. But I'm about to lose my mind.

    submitted by /u/Khajiit_hairball
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove screws after snapping of the head?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    Like the title implies, I have snapped the head off of a few brass screws for a hinge on a small cabinet door.

    I refinished a small cabinet and was reassembling the door. In hindsight I should have re-drilled the holes to clean them out of stain and varnish. While hand screwing the new screws in I snapped the heads off. I tried to drill them out but I'm making it worse with my kicking from one side to the other. What is the best way to remove the broken screws so I can put the door back on? Any help is appreciated.

    UPDATE: I was able to just drill out the holes with a larger bit and was able to eat away enough of the old screws to be able to get the new holes in the proper place. Just waiting on the wood filler to fully harden so I can drill new pilots and try again, this time without snapping them. Hopefully. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Hopefully this can prevent some others from making the same mistake.

    submitted by /u/HatefulHipster
    [link] [comments]

    Painting basement steps- filling in gaps

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    I am removing my basement stairs carpet and would like to repaint the steps. (steps ) So far I have pulled up the carpet and padding and many staples. I still have to remove many annoying small staples (I ordered a tool which should hopefully make this easier than pliers) My next step is to use Elmers wood filler and sand the steps and then paint them a blue-grey color.
    My question is how to address the gaps between the stairs and the wall. I'm not sure if I should - paint trim the same color as new step color and install that around the border - use product like great stuff foam filler and a caulk product.

    I am very new to any of this so any advice is appreciate. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/orange319
    [link] [comments]

    Floor is Sinking!

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    I moved into my home at the beginning of January and haven't ran into any problems with it until a giant gap between the floor and the wall itself appeared, about 1.5 inches wide, which wasn't there when I moved in. It's only happening in one corner where my bed was, though, and I haven't seen any similar gaps anywhere else in the house. I'm not sure when the gap appeared, but I did have a concrete driveway put in near the outside wall recently, if that makes a difference. The room is about 162 square feet, and the gap is on the corner towards the outside? There is a crawspace beneath, but no plumbing or AC vents along that wall.

    Any ideas on the best way to fix it, or even a cover-up solution in the meantime?

    Home details:

    2 bedroom 1 bath, built in 1930, renovated in 2010. Brick exterior.

    Floor Gap Pics

    submitted by /u/WhyPlatypusWhy
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to find a screw similar to this one?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    Inherited an older Pack 'n Play that is missing one screw. Missing screw is identical to one pictured below. Phillips head, long shanks, shore thread, slight over 1 inch long. Called Graco and they weren't able to supply part. Any way to find a simlar screw at Home Depot, etc. that could substitute? Not even sure what to call this style of screw. Woudl like to avoid throwing Pack 'n Play in garbage over 1 missing screw.

    https://imgur.com/a/QX8zRNV

    submitted by /u/biggytre
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of person should I hire for mounting a security camera + Wireless AP for wires already run?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    Hello, I recently had a low-voltage guy come out and terminate my wires for my security cam + AP, and he was able do so from my second-floor window.

    However, there is no way you could actually mount the AP + Cam from the window as it is too far away.

    Pic: https://i.imgur.com/u1rH87o.jpg

    This is pretty high up (about 25ft), but I am unsure what type of PRO to contact, because it's not really low-voltage wiring anymore (it's already ran and terminated). Would an electrician still be the right person to contact?

    Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kev1000000
    [link] [comments]

    A little before and after. Not perfect, but looks a lot better.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/Ddeyb79

    Dealing with a manufactured home is a never ending challenge where they cut every corner. Gang boxes are cheap and never really level.

    The switch on the right was replaced. Was a super cheap contractor grade. Now a Leviton. The switch on the right is a TP Link smart switch I installed a few months ago. Used some rubber spacers to get things out enough that nothing looks too recessed now, and a level to try as best I could to even it out. Not 100% perfect, but looks a damned sight better than before.

    The Leviton switch is "white" but in the photo looks a little off. But in person it looks just fine.

    submitted by /u/HawkeyeFLA
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for conduit outlet covers

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    I just finished painting my dining room and replacing all the outlets and I would like to put new covers on. Currently, I have metals ones and would like to replace them since they have brush strokes all over them and are ancient but am having trouble finding them online and I didn't see them at home depot. Anyone know what to search for online or where to find these? I need 3 outlet covers and 1 light switch cover.

    Conduit outlet cover https://imgur.com/gallery/OCPsX1L

    submitted by /u/LevelFourteen
    [link] [comments]

    Removing insulation batts without the ichies

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    The time has come to gut my retched "guest house" so that it may become a repository for the various crap I acquired during the renovation of my main house. I'm pulling sheetrock now, and within the next day or so I will be yanking out the the moldy fiberglass batts soaked in a cocktail of various rodents urine.

    I don't like this part, if I didn't sell that hard enough.

    Usually what I do is put on a jump suit, ski mask, respirator and goggles; then hook the insulation with a rake, mash it into a contractor bag with a sledgehammer, and heave the bag out the door. Even with these precautions, fibers still burrow in and find crevases. My armpits and the backs of my knees just get torn up every time. Also, the idea of suiting up in heavy clothes in the middle of August just doesn't appeal to me now that I'm in my 30s.

    It's 2020, the future is now. Has anyone found a better way?

    submitted by /u/Barry-umm
    [link] [comments]

    Shower Pan Question

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    I had to remove the shower pan from my master bathroom because of concerns about water leaking. The shower walls are tile and the shower pan was plastic/fiberglass.

    I had to cut out the old shower pan using an oscillating tool because there was a flange that's went behind the tile to prevent water escaping. I don't see how I can get a new flange behind the tile, and I don't have any extra tiles to retile if I remove the bottom row.

    I'd rather not retile the entire shower if possible. I don't mind it the way it is and I'd rather not spend the extra cash. Is there any way to replace this shower pan without taking up tile? I tried to look for shower pans without the flange, but I'm concerned that it wouldn't be watertight and I'll end up back in the same position of having to remove it again. Any advice is appreciated. I've attached pictures of the shower. I can post more if needed. Thanks for any advice!

    Shower Pics

    submitted by /u/Akahajee
    [link] [comments]

    Is this acceptable or should tile be extended to the door?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    Can't get discoloration out of hardwood floor! Need advice. Help please!

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    Stained area on hardwood floor https://imgur.com/gallery/ZqNQJRa

    I've been sanding for 2 days with 24grit paper on a drum sander. I have made MANY passes and simply can't get this discoloration out of the middle of the room. Will this show up if I leave it as it is? Any tips on what to do here? Thanks

    Edit: thanks for all the advice so far! Here's a before picture of the floor so you know what it started as: https://imgur.com/gallery/0dv9gwE

    submitted by /u/wolf-nipple_chips
    [link] [comments]

    Deck overhaul. Worth saving the joists?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Hi all, I live in a 16 year old house. The house isn't that old but the deck is on the north side and it's pretty wet here in Seattle most of the year. The deck boards are pretty much all rotten. I haven't decided yet whether to hire someone to get it done professionally or drag it out for a full year and do it myself. The more I look at it, the more complicated it looks and the more discouraged I get. I was originally going to just replace all the rotten boards. But after removing a few, the joists underneath look a bit worse than I expected. And at least 2/3 of the nails were rusty and crispy and wouldn't come out. I had to snap or snip them and leave them inside.

    Here's a few pictures of the joists joining the beam from underneath as well as the joists looked from above with boards removed.

    https://imgur.com/a/xP2GkpB

    What would you recommend? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/delingren
    [link] [comments]

    How to cover red paint?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:43 PM PDT

    I'm buying a house where the owner painted most of the rooms a dark red... some of the rooms are red on bottom and white on top. I want to cover the walls with an ivory white, but I'm not sure how to prep the walls to prevent e red from bleeding through.

    I'm reading some people recommend a gray primer, but if I'm trying to cover with ivory white would that work? Should I use latex base or water base? Anything else I should think of?

    submitted by /u/Elderberry_goose
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Sun Shade Options?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    I have a back patio that extends from my house under a 24" each a couple extra feet. The problem is theres a big Douglass fir that is dripping sap on everything back there (picnic table, chairs, bbq) thats pretty annoying.

    I'd like to do some kind of sun shade that would block this however pretty much all the ones I see are just for blocking sun and not water so I'd be afraid either sap would still drip through, or when it rains I would get a diluted sap going through it.

    Has anyone ever made something like this? If so what did you use for the material. Or any other ideas short of just extending the roof?

    submitted by /u/rockdude14
    [link] [comments]

    How strong of a fan will I need to prevent back flow into a window exhaust system?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Was debating on whether to put this in ask science or similar subreddit but I feel like the post would get buried there. This is related to improving my home, so why not.

    I'm planning on making an enclosure for my PC, similar to a 3d printer enclosure, because it puts out tons of heat that raises the temperature of the room to uncomfortable levels. The biggest concern I have is differences in outside/inside pressure because if air were to blow back down into the vent it would potentially screw with my PC. My question is: How much fan/CFM will I need to make it okay and not have that happen? I'm planning on purchasing an inline duct fan, but wondering if I'll need to install an extra exhaust fan (similar to ones in bathrooms) in the enclosure to ensure no back flow.

    submitted by /u/cwif
    [link] [comments]

    Exposed foundation, Central Massachusetts

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 08:03 AM PDT

    HI all. I have some exposed foundation all around my house and it's really ugly and clashes with the red vinyl siding. I'm looking for ideas on how I can make the foundation look finished. What are some options?

    Image: https://imgur.com/a/zDcp85e

    submitted by /u/punch_yo_buns
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing exterior home trim paint color

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    Hi all - I'm looking for some help on what color paint to use for an exterior home painting project.

    The main purpose of this is to repaint all of the wood/trim panels as they are starting to rot and for preventive maintenance purposes. This may also give an opportunity to give the home a fresh new look, but I'm really struggling to pick a photo that complements the home brick work well.

    I was initially thinking a dark color, but now think I'm best off with a lighter beige-like color. Any thoughts or opinions will be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

    Edit: The window trims will also be painted, so the question of whether to use different shades between the window trim and house trim also exists!

    Three home photo links:

    https://imgur.com/GxMOSeE

    https://imgur.com/aP2H6d5

    https://imgur.com/Vyec3LX

    submitted by /u/lungara28
    [link] [comments]

    Need help picking out kitchen island lighting

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    I am almost finished remodeling my kitchen but the only thing left is the kitchen island fixture. Not sure what to pick out. I have two sockets for light above the island and wondering what would look nice and match. Any suggestions appreciated! Here is a photo of the kitchen.

    submitted by /u/RemmyNHL
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some help on filling a 1" gap between tile and door frame - Minneapolis, MN

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    I am seeking the advice of this community. We recently replaced our doors, and I am looking for a way to fill the gap between the tile and the door frame.

    See the attached pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnEaMlt

    The top 1/3 of the vertical space is wood, while the bottom 2/3s of the gap appears to be stone/foundation. Any help from the community is extremely helpful.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/markbobfurniss
    [link] [comments]

    Rainbrid Sprinkler won't run when I tell it to. This thing is crazy!

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    I have this Rainbird system in the garage and it's driving me insane!

    https://imgur.com/XDJtJSu

    IT'll run it's program fine but god forbid I need to run tests on it. When I try to run a zone manually and start it either

    A. waits 5 minutes then turns on

    B. waits 3 hours then turns on

    C. doesn't turn on at all.

    I just don't understand it at all.

    What I do is

    1. select the zone
    2. set the time using the + . - buttons Usually 5 minutes which is supposed to be how long the water runs? (maybe this is my issue?)
    3. Press and hold start (>) button until I see "running" status on it.

    I think that's the proper order for this.

    Also test all stations does nothing!

    So what's going on here?

    submitted by /u/GeekCommentator
    [link] [comments]

    How to extract broken concrete windowsills?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    Hi all - I have two broken concrete windowsills that need to be replaced with nice old / new stone windowsills that I had cut out of some old pieces of stone at my local reclamation yard (the detail is original and matches the existing lintels!)

    We had the place surveyed when we bought it and the survey said that the cracks were caused by a reaction between the old black lime mortar that beds the cill and the concrete of the cill itself (bit weird to my mind but there we go). The mortar bed swelled and lifted the cill which is retained at the sides so they both cracked in the middle. I think that these are not original cills as every other cill / lintel / mullion is made out of stone.

    So my problem is how do I extract the existing cills without breaking bricks or windows? I know that the existing double glazing isn't attached to them but the mortar bed is too deep to use a rotary tool. My best idea at the moment is to use an SDS bit to drill down the crack to open it up, then wiggle each side loose. The mortar is old and dry and the cills should crack away easily enough, I just need an angle to extract them.

    Any thoughts on this one? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Maldizzle
    [link] [comments]

    How to clean acrylic bathtub with heavy stains?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    I moved into a house and the bathtub has dark stains that look like years worth of grease and dirt that i cant seem to get out.

    Whats the deal??

    submitted by /u/GenXLite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment