• Breaking News

    Monday, August 24, 2020

    Home security: Bought a House With Vivint Security System Installed... Incredibly Confused About Features/Subscription

    Home security: Bought a House With Vivint Security System Installed... Incredibly Confused About Features/Subscription


    Bought a House With Vivint Security System Installed... Incredibly Confused About Features/Subscription

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit. My wife and I recently bought a home that came with a Vivint security system. The sellers, when showing me the panel and how it all works, told me that they don't pay for the monthly monitoring and suggested that we not pay for it either as it was too pricey and not worth it. From what I've read on Reddit and elsewhere, without paying for the monthly subscription then most of the smart features shouldn't work. I shouldn't have access to the app, the panel shouldn't work, the cameras shouldn't work and the doorbell shouldn't work. But everything works just fine. Is it possible the previous homeowners did pay for the service and didn't realize it, or are paying for it currently without realizing it? Am I wrong about what the service actually offers without paying for the subscription? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/AxiomFTW
    [link] [comments]

    I just had a baby and I figure it is time to embark on my first home security adventure!

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    I have done quite a bit of research and have decided that I would like to purchase a NVR based security camera system. I have been looking primarily at two brands (Reolink and Amcrest) and I wanted to see if you guys and gals had any knowledge or experience with either of the hardware or had any alternative recommendations.

    I specifically have selected NVRs with Dual HDDs, to use as redundancy (best I can tell, both softwares allow this). Both allow for remote access through an app (I originally was looking at Lorex brand systems as well, but apparently their app and support aren't great, so I dropped them off my list.)

    One must-have that I have not confirmed is possible on the Reolink yet is the triggering of recording via sound instead of motion. On the Amcrest system I can use an external microphone to trigger recording on a single channel.

    Reolink:

    NVR: RLN16-410 (I only want 8ch, but this is the only option Reolink has with dual internal HDDs)

    Camera(s): B400/B800 (may use both in the system)

    Amcrest:

    NVR: NV5208E (Selected for the dual internal HDDs)

    Camera: IP4M-1026EW-28MM (has a significantly wider FoV compared to above. +40 degrees almost)

    submitted by /u/Rook730
    [link] [comments]

    Need a camera, IR, don't have internet via wifi, but can use hotspot

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    Ok, so this is my first venture into a security cam. IR nighttime is a must, would like to monitor them via pc, like using manycam since I own it.

    Looking for 720 to 1080, maybe 50-60 $ range (each cam) and HUGE plus if it's on Amazon prime. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at, or how to approach. Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/aoyeah
    [link] [comments]

    New house has a DSC/ADT alarm system that I'm locked out of. Should I keep it or start a fresh?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    My new house has a DSC/ADT alarm system that I'm locked out of after trying various codes suggested on here. The system has motion sensors around the house but I have pets and so wouldn't want to use these anyway. I simply just want a system that I can alarm and if any doors or windows are opened, for the alarm to sound.

    Would I be better trying to get this system working and adding some contact sensors to doors and windows or should I think about starting a-fresh?

    If keeping the existing system who would be able to reset it and set this up for me? I tried calling the security company stickers I found around the house and was told a sales member from my area would be in touch. I heard nothing and don't really want to chase them to spend my money. What kind of company should I be looking for?

    submitted by /u/Farquea
    [link] [comments]

    Milestone XProtect feed encryption question

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    (Edited for some clarification)

    Xprotect has every feature I need (mobile app for viewing+ of the feed is the biggest)..except I'm too inept to go through the strenuous process of creating and installing special certificates for encrypting the feed. I have my system-wide (per device) VPN running on all devices, all the time. Would that be sufficient, alternative to the Xprotect encryption?

    Edit/addition: I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. Windows or Linux and preferably with a free option. I don't need fancy stuff like push-to-talk through the stream; just the ability to check in to my house while I'm outside of it.

    I know this is a sub of super savvy folks, so this is probably just annoying noob BS to you all, but that's why I'm trying to learn.

    submitted by /u/inyourend0000
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior Motion detector lights from Home depot work very well and cheap too.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    They sense when it is daytime and they don't light up during day, but night they do. They are around $10, and I lost the box so I don't have name but they use good 3M adhesive for sticking to outdoor surfaces or any surface.. https://imgur.com/a/0FPAob2

    submitted by /u/xerxes7777
    [link] [comments]

    Best option for window/door security sensors with 3rd party monitoring?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    Moving to a new house and was thinking of getting a ring system for their door/motion sensors and control panel. Later, I will be getting a separate POE camera system instead of using ring cameras, which I've heard aren't great.

    Is ring recommended for home security, barring their cameras, or should I look at other options?

    submitted by /u/naturaljim
    [link] [comments]

    Amcrest IP8M Connectivity Issues, Any Suggestions?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    Hello All, first post here. I am just getting into security cameras for my house. I have purchased three IP8M-T2499EW-28MM cameras to test out. Long story short i had two cameras setup, no issues, i changed from cable internet to AT&T fiber. My cameras wouldnt connect after this. I read on line there were a few settings i needed to change in my BGW210 model and my Orbi router. I got the camera on the corner of my house working but the one on my back porch will not connect. I deleted the camera and tried to set it up again and nothing. I tried to factory resent and nothing. I took my 3rd camera that had not been setup yet, brand new in the box and set it up for my back porch, it connected and worked right away. Any ideas on what is wrong with my other camera that worked and now i can not get to connect no matter what. I even took it and plugged it directly to my POE switch and when i go to setup the camera it says failed.

    I have 6 more cameras to but but i am going to hold off until i sort this issue out.

    submitted by /u/mudhog79
    [link] [comments]

    Vstarcam Model:C63S

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    I have two of these cameras set up for home security. They are great cameras, however the cameras only come with "Low", "Middle", and "High" Motion detection settings and do not have the option to choose motion detection zones. Because of this I am getting alarm notifications every time a car drives by. Is there a way I can use another software for these cameras or am I stuck using the "eye4" app on my iphone?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/GimPy2434
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if a amcrest camera will work on a reolink RLN8-410-E nvr?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    I am having an issue with the reolink night vision. The quality just isn't good enough for my situation so I was wanting to get an amcrest because they have a model with really good color night vision. Does anyone know if it would work with my reolink setup? Here's a link to the video of the camera I'm talking about. amcrest color night vision video.

    submitted by /u/Never-Knows-Best_
    [link] [comments]

    Best WIRED outdoor security camera that connects to cloud?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Looking for a security camera system that connects to ELECTRICITY and sends videos to a cloud storage. Must be outside, without SUBSCRIPTION.

    Suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Faolanwolf2003
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone looking for a good home security system?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    Using Ethernet as power cable for Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (Not POE)

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 05:38 AM PDT

    Has anyone used Ethernet cable with the included power supply to successfully power the panel. Looking to replace my Pulse system with an IQ setup. The current Pulse keypad location is where I want to mount the IQ panel, but I only have ethernet cable running to the basement where the power will originate, total run is approximately 25 feet. Can I use 4 and 4 of the Ethernet cable to get enough current to the panel? Running new cable is a no go. thanks

    submitted by /u/RockCypher63
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment