• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 23, 2020

    Home security: Looking for security camera after theft and tips

    Home security: Looking for security camera after theft and tips


    Looking for security camera after theft and tips

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    So over this past weekend our neighborhood got hit including us. There were neighbors tailgates stolen and tools taken. My father's lawn mowers were in our backyard and taken too. We have video footage from a neighbors Ring camera that 2 white men came and one pushed the light away at our backyard at 2:45 am. We have already made a police report.

    It was very disturbing for my sister and I because our parents have been working on the road recently and this is a new occurrence. My parents want a security camera before they go out on the road, but they do not know what kind. They are hoping for one that sends phone updates and can see a license plate in the dark if possible. It's scary to me because I have the feeling if they really wanted to get into the house they would.

    For defense all I have is a car alarm, pepper spray, and a pocket knife. We also have a dog, but that night my sister came home at 1 am so we were pretty tired and didn't hear him. We have those burglar door stops that go under the door with dead bolts on the front, and back entrance with an alarm if any door or window were to open. We are worried they will be back.

    Tdlr; Looking for advice on security cameras that catch footage all the time and decent enough quality it should catch a license plate. Should we also invest in a metal gate that extends the entire driveway?

    submitted by /u/QueenLazuli
    [link] [comments]

    Cellular Alarm Contact Sensor & Power Outage Monitoring

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I am looking for some feedback on a device I have been working on. It is a contact sensor and power outage monitoring system. It will send you an email or text message anytime the sensor is triggered. I requires basically zero configuration. It does not require any local WiFi network as it connects over AT&T cell network. You power up the device and login to the app to configure the SMS number and/or email address. It includes an internal battery that will last up 48 hours. This things has many applications, some examples include: alarm system for remote locations or if you have roommates that you suspect may be going over your stuff when you are not home, or even as a mailbox sensor to let to you know if mail has arrived. Any time you need to monitor something opening/closing this is a great sensor for it. It's very well made in a metal enclosure. I'm happy to answer any questions and/or looking for feedback.

    https://www.logmor.com/product/cellular-alarm-contact-sensor-and-power-outage-monitoring/

    submitted by /u/oneruserhere
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior POE | Surge Protection & Cabling Question

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I've run a number of site searches through Google but most of the results I found weren't exactly what I was thinking. So, I'm hoping you guys might be able to point me in the correct direction.

    I have three (3) exterior mounted POE cameras that I'm looking to install soon (already have the cameras). Two of the cameras will be mounted on a brick wall (turret) looking at the driveway and the third will be soffit-mounted (bullet). I have learned enough to know that somehow I need to surge-protect these cameras. What I'm not entirely grasping is exactly how to do that. Further, for the soffit-mounted camera, my understanding is that I need to utilize UTP cable where the cable is exposed (about 6" worth) to prevent degradation.

    All of these cameras will be wired up into the attic. So, I really have two questions:

    1. If I use UTP cable at the exterior camera, can I then switch it over to standard Cat6 somewhere? I had wondered if using a pass-through patch panel would be a good way to go from UTP to regular Cat6?
    2. Regarding surge, I was thinking of utilizing a couple of the Ubiquity surge protectors but I'm not certain how to ground them either in my attic, nor at the rack. What would you suggest?
    submitted by /u/ChappyEight
    [link] [comments]

    Converting concord 4 system into something better

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone-

    I recently bought a home that will not be my primary residence and thus want a home security system that I can monitor from afar.

    The home currently has a concord 4 broad and has some door sensors, some break glass, motion sectors, and fire/smoke/heat/low temp. It has the standard keypad w no functionality for phone or remote control.

    I read that the company that made the concord 4 board is now out of biz so I'm trying to evaluate my options.

    Given the doors are already hardwired I've been wondering whether I should look into retro fitting the unit and am considering the ring retrofit system.

    A few questions:

    1). Does anyone know if the concord4 will work w the ring? And I'm also curious what this other board is overtop of the concord4 (see pic below).

    2). I notice on the concord board there is only one wired zone. Seems odd given the doors, motion sensors, break glass etc. Does this mean all of those sensors are somehow on one zone. (See second pic)

    Thanks for your consideration!

    Boards: https://imgur.com/a/oae4Zic

    Zone wiring on concord4: https://imgur.com/a/GSYLVKB

    submitted by /u/needalarmhelp
    [link] [comments]

    Best non-WiFi security cameras for my clients

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    Frontpoint to Surety Question

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    I have a Simon XT with Verizon LTE. If I cancel my Frontpoint service, am I simply able to start new service with Surety and use my existing equipment? All I have are door/window monitors and a motion sensor.

    I'm happy with Frontpoint, but it seems like the general consensus is that they are charging double what other alarm.com providers are charging. I feel like if I switch I really won't be missing anything. Is that a correct assumption to make?

    submitted by /u/Prime88
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to figure out where to start adding cameras.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Been thinking recently about cameras around the house. Originally I was thinking nest or ring, but I don't want the added subscription model.

    More recently I saw eufy, but don't know if it allows room for growth and expansion or am I locked in to a single camera?

    I also thought I would be with unifi but it seems they are eliminating the on-premise nvr.

    My neighbor has blink, but it doesn't appear to allow on premise storage yet.

    I ultimately want something with on premise nvr options like shinobi. Perhaps even home assistant. I want to be notified of activity, etc and want a history when desired, without any subscriptions.

    My first thought was a doorbell camera as step 1. But more recently I was thinking about just a normal camera by the door since I have a functional wired doorbell and solutions like eufy replace it with a wireless chime.

    In most locations I can get Poe, but also need the option of battery if push comes to shove.

    I figure if I finally get the camera at the front door, this will more easily lead to the camera by the garage and then the back patio etc.

    submitted by /u/kolbasz_
    [link] [comments]

    Any decent wireless video bridges anyone knows of?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    I used to use Videocom bridges because of how simple they were but they went out of business. Does anyone know who the OEM for those was? I don't like Ubiquiti stuff, any other recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Avedisride
    [link] [comments]

    GE Concord 4 - question re: stopping the monthly phone test

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    I have a GE Concord 4 that I use with an audible alarm to the outside of my house. I have no monitoring service like ADT.

    To save money, I recently canceled my home phone since I never use it.

    Once a month the alarm system tests the phone line and alerts me (in the middle of the night) that it cannot find a dial tone.

    How do I delete the landline from the alarm system so it stops running these tests? I want to sleep!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DumpyPajamas
    [link] [comments]

    Cross-posting from r/homedefense. Any help is much appreciated!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    Got a Sannce system off Amazon, having a nightmare setting it up! Any help?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    I got a N48PBE Sannce system 8 POE channels 4 camera kit. So far installed 2 of the cameras. But Im having a right nightmare configuring this system...

    Anyone with experience with these want to chip in?

    Multiple Problems.

    First I couldnt detect my NVR with Guarding Vision (as per FAQ on Sannce site)

    So I couldnt view the system remotely.

    Sannce then suggested trying Annke Sight and SANNCE Sight. After some manual setting. I can get a feed off the cameras.... BUT! its the low quality sub stream not the high quality feed. And i STILL cant remotely set the NVR or set motion detection zones or playback recordings...

    But its the low quality sub stream preview. If I go to the NVR box and set my sub streams to 720p (highest possible setting) one camera will show the preview in the 4x4 and the stream would view on the Sannce Sight client... but if i set the other camera to the same setting, One or the other stream dies. Goes blank. I can still double click on the NVR and see the main stream but in the 4x4 grid it gone, as well as gone on the client.

    I thought the whole point of systems like this was to run it completely remotely, and it being IP based on my network I shouldnt need to monitor the sub streams on my PC?

    Anyway the problems dont end there...

    I also cant set or change passwords for the cameras themselves. So they could be boardcasting online for all I know. Ive tried using the IPCamSuite from sennce/annke but while that lists the cameras i cant do anything with them. Not even view the stream or set or reset a password.

    Also trying to log in via a browser to the cameras directly doesnt load a page. Its as if there isnt a web interface.

    On top of all that while there is a web interface for the NVR its utterly useless. Firstly while it claims to stream the cameras, I have to turn on Flash (which is getting removed away) and when i do enable it, it just shows me a single very low res snap shot and not a stream. I still cant really change any settings to the system nor view recordings.

    Ive already wired up and installed 2 of the cameras, I had to drill holes and channels for the cables so im not overly keen on returning the system. Kinda pissed off tbh.

    Oh and both cameras are called Cam1, ive yet to actually find any option anywhere to change them.

    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

    submitted by /u/Mangy_DogUK
    [link] [comments]

    Zone Fault - DSC - WS4945

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    I have a DSC alarm system in my house with numerous wired and wireless sensors. All of my window sensors are wireless and are the DSC WS4945 sensor. I put the system in 12 years ago, replaced all of the wireless battery sensors with new CR2 batteries 2 years ago, and just a few days ago I got the yellow triangle display on my keypad and when I navigate through it I've identified a WS4945 sensor that shows as a Zone Fault. I removed it, opened it up, there appears to be no damage to it at all, I've removed the battery and replaced it, keeping in mind that the battery is only 2 years old and it doesn't show an expiry until 2027, and I got over 10 years put of my last battery in the same device.

    There's no corrosion, no damage, everything seems to be intact and I'm kind of at a loss as to why this has just stopped working? My first course of action, of course, is to replace the battery and I've ordered a new one, but it won't be here until next week. I'm doubtful however, that this is the point of failure.

    Before someone asks, yes, I do have the terminal software on a computer somewhere downstairs to get into the configuration of the alarm system. To be honest, I haven't done it since I finished the install 12 years ago, and it's on an old XP computer with an old Serial Port connector to the alarm panel. I'm sure it'll even take me quite some time to figure out how to log in and even locate my passwords and that kind of stuff.

    So my basic question here is if anyone can tell me if they've ever had a WS4945 just fail on them, for no apparent reason? I may have a spare one kicking around somewhere, but that is also going to be a major undertaking to try to find the container that I stored all my alarm system stuff in down in the basement somewhere. And I do realize, that if I do have to replace the actual sensor that I'll have to reprogram it back into the system.

    So if anyone with experience in the DSC alarm system, and particularly the WS4945 sensor, if you have any other suggestions before I start going down other roads on what I might be able to do to bring this thing back to life it would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Verminator1414
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment