• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 23, 2020

    Home security: How to defend my home against the police

    Home security: How to defend my home against the police


    How to defend my home against the police

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I am a black man living in a conservative neighborhood with pretty much 99% white people. One night at about 9pm, I was taking a walk outside for a bit and someone called the police on me. They came out of their SUVs pointing their guns at me. I explained the situation and showed them my driver's license with my home address on it. I was wearing tight Under Armor clothing with no pockets and no real visible place to store guns.

    In another instance, some of my cousins were over and we were playing rap music. Yes, I do admit it was getting a little too noisy that night. The police showed up again with a noise complaint, but they still pulled out their guns. We all got on our knees with our hands on our heads. They gave me a fine and left. Still don't know why they pulled their guns.

    After reading this article (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/black-woman-shot-killed-after-kentucky-police-entered-her-home-n1205651), I feel that I need to beef up my home defense before something bad happens to me, my son and my mom. So far, I've replaced my entry doors with steel doors and reinforced the jambs and stuff. I got camera system. I feel that as a black man, it wouldn't wise to actually pull a gun on the police, so I didn't buy one. What else can I do just in case the police does something to me like they did to the woman in the referenced article?

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Pen_Usual
    [link] [comments]

    Is ADT worth it? Or going overboard?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    My town is ridiculously safe, there is essentially zero crime to speak of. The other day, some teenagers were messing around and stole some stuff out of an unlocked car in our neighborhood. So now my parents want to get ADT and pay what I think is an unreasonable amount of money to protect the house. I keep telling them to just get a couple nest/arlo cameras if they're really worried, but they're still leaning towards a full package security system. Is ADT worth it at all? I've heard some pretty negative things about them in general, but I just want to hear some thoughts.

    submitted by /u/onyourleftboob
    [link] [comments]

    I'm an idiot. Am I also in danger?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Just had a strange experience. Sitting in a rental home we moved into earlier in the week. Its on a hill and 13 stairs up from the street. I hear a car loudly playing music outside and shortly after see a girl walk by my window. I leap up and open the door and she's on my patio. Probably mid to late 20s, face tattoos, very high heels. Her car is in the middle of the street, running with the windows down. She tells me she used to live here and tells me about how the floorboards on the patio are all original and how the columns have been repainted. She starts crying and telling me about the neighborhood and how things have changed and how her grandpa grew up here.

    She asks to come in and I stupidly tell her yes. Probably because she's bawling but I feel like an idiot for saying yes. There's a global pandemic and all I can't come up with a single reason why this girl can't see this place she used to live. She walked around the entire house, into the basement, sat briefly on the bed (wtf?) and got my number (I gave her a fake number) to hang out later. She was pointing out things that maybe could have been true, like oh you redid the bathroom, here's where the washer and dryer used to be in the basement, this was my room, we had a cabinet here.

    Honestly, she felt manic. She was telling me weird stories, saying the n-word and telling me she's half black, saying someone accused her of sucking someone else's dick and how she carries a knife in her purse because she got attacked for it, telling me she's bisexual, talking about sneaking her Grandpa's Playboy's, and saying she just got pulled over for drinking (she smelled like alcohol).

    So, my question: did I just fall for some weird casing scam? Or is this girl just going through a manic phase? It seems strange that she would come walk around the house if that was her intention. It seemed like she actually knew things about the house, but it could've easily been made up. If she was casing, what can I do now to protect myself?

    submitted by /u/OscarLola
    [link] [comments]

    NEED HELP! Home security system

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    Hello, just bought my first home and looking to install a security system (3/4x cameras, doorbell, windows sensors).

    I have couple friends that have the RING doorbell and different camera setup and they like it. I've been doing a bit of research and it's either hit or miss with some customers. Anyone have the setup?

    I want something that connects via WiFi and can see it live stream (I am gone out of town a lot) also planning on wire since heard it's better than solar or batteries.

    Price range under $800.

    submitted by /u/Utvin84
    [link] [comments]

    Best cheap security cam for off site monitoring?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 02:49 AM PDT

    A quick background: my husband and I just bought a house and were able to move in immediately as it had been sitting empty. The house we were previously renting was a farm house on the same property as our horses so we were always right there, for the most part. The horses are still at the old rental property until we can get fencing put up at the new place, which should be started mid August, and hopefully finished by the end of the month. My sister-in-law let us know today that someone has been in the barn because lights were left on, gates were left open, and other obvious signs. We do have the tack room locked so nobody is able to get in there. The barn has electricity but no wifi. So my question is, what would be a decent cheap cam to install to help keep an eye on things while nobody is there. I don't want to spend a ton for something that uses cellular networks because it'll only be used until we can move the horses over to the new property. I have no problem with going over every other day or so to look at any footage on an SD card because it's only a few minutes away from our new place. I'm browsing Amazon and Walmart.com and am considering a cheap Wansview or D-link. There's also a nifty little cube camera from Walmart that is very small and wouldn't be noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it, but the reviews aren't very good. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/renee1980
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding on a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus. 319.5 vs 345 vs 433?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:00 PM PDT

    I currently have Vivint (ugh). Luckily, it's month-to-month so I'll have no problem switching to a Qolsys system monitored by Surety (alarm.com) later this month. I also understand that even though my Vivint sensors are 345mhz, they are also proprietary and won't work with the new system.

    So, I'm open to "switching frequencies" as I'm considering this an "all new" installation. My question is: Which frequency/brand currently has the best mix of product variety? What about good price points? Should I stick with 319.5mhz since PowerG is also an interlogix thing? Or would, for instance, 345mhz/2gig have more functionality/sensor options?

    Any insight is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/churningaccount
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment