• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 22, 2020

    Home security: Locking bedroom door from outside?

    Home security: Locking bedroom door from outside?


    Locking bedroom door from outside?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Locking bedroom door from outside?

    Hi all,

    I don't want to go into too much depth about my current living situation, but over the past few weeks my male housemate has gotten very paranoid and aggressive and is acting in a way where I feel like he might hurt me/destroy my possessions. I'm not super worried about myself as I am trained in martial arts and can jam my bedroom door shut from the inside at night.

    I am however very worried about what he might do to my stuff when I leave the house. I have installed a home cctv camera in my bedroom which has given me a bit of reassurance, but I'd feel a lot better if I could find a way to lock my bedroom door from the outside.

    I have spoken to the letting agents about the possibility of installing a lock on my bedroom door, but they have said that due to the type of tenancy it is they can't install locks on the bedroom doors (which is a whole other rant).

    TL;DR: I'm looking for a way to lock my bedroom door from the outside to protect my things from my unhinged housemate when I'm out of the house. It ideally won't be (too) invasive as I live in a rented property and it would massively impact my deposit if it were to leave lasting damage on the current door.

    Thank you so much in advance - I am desperate so would be willing to try most solutions!!

    EDIT: I've attached a picture of my door handle :)

    https://preview.redd.it/cqbemyuj9gc51.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=9b479f6e7c6466ab630bd0301bb9b77765feaf3c

    submitted by /u/Downtown_Dragonfly_8
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for wireless camera system NOT connected to the Internet?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    I am looking for a WiFi security camera option that will allow me to have several wireless cameras that all record to a common local storage. I would also like to be able to view live streams from the cameras as well as recorded videos via my local network.

    I do not want to have any video sent out over the Internet encrypted or otherwise. I would like to be able to manage everything from just my local network. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/discoborg
    [link] [comments]

    Best non-WiFi security cameras for my clients

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    I'm a victim's advocate for domestic violence/sexual assault, so I have many clients who desperately need cameras, but live in very rural areas with unreliable WiFi.

    The situations I'm dealing with now mean these people need cameras very soon - I'm hoping to order them (or pick them up somewhere) tomorrow. These are more for evidence for the prosecutor than an alarm system. People are showing up to intimidate a witness, and there is already an alarm system in place, just with terrible cameras. The police are too slow to respond since it's so rural, so these people are definitely gone by the time cops show up. She is armed if that makes you feel any better.

    Anyway, I'm getting some mixed reviews on non-WiFi dependent cameras. Some are tough to install, unreliable, or indoor-only. I'm doing my own research now, but I thought you all might have better suggestions than I'm finding.

    As an aside, I'm thinking of getting her a life-alert type of device since the cell service is so bad and it's a big property. I have tried to put her in our shelter/safe house/hotel, but for many reasons that won't work for her, so I'm dealing with this as I can for now.

    I really appreciate your insight and opinions. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/saucity
    [link] [comments]

    looking for CCTV cam

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    I am looking for an indoor camera that uploads to the cloud or a remote source of my choosing. I need one that doesn't have a subscription, or at least saves the recordings so if I get robbed I can buy the subscription after and then and see the video. it can be wired or wireless but if its wireless it needs to be rechargable. (the cheaper the better)

    submitted by /u/trey_v
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision network camera with light/siren function

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I am in Canada by the way.

    And this is the only model i've found.

    DS-2CD2346G1-I/SL

    Does anyone know any other model with this function?

    anything 4K?

    submitted by /u/braveheart0707
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless IP Camera Access

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    I've been looking into getting a couple of wireless IP cameras for simple home use (UPS delivery, squirrel watch, etc.). Unfortunately, I currently cannot go the PoE route, so I have to live with "something is better than nothing".

    It seems that all of the wireless cameras I've come across require an app and/or cloud access for the initial setup and/or usage.

    Is it possible for a wireless camera to be set up and used through the browser alone?

    I hope this is the right place to ask this probably stupid question. Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/BlueCreamsicles
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a camera for our drive way that has NV & detail (just bought house)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Every other camera doesn't matter I can setup my own doesn't need to be insanely detailed but...

    Looking for a camera for our driveway as it is parallel with the road. Luckily to turn it's sharp so no one should be flying super fast. I'm worried about a random drunk driver over the years driving off a little and nailing one of our parked cars. I want it to be well enough to get the license plate if I have the camera on our porch and pointed down the driveway/road (should be close enough). Don't wanna keep trying out new camera. Wired/wireless/wifi does not matter.

    submitted by /u/RogueAmericanX
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on best cost to value ratio for whole home surveillance?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    No real budget, but obviously would like to keep it as affordable as possible. Id like a whole home surveillance package with the possibility of cloud back up. Maybe 4-6 exterior cameras, and then just as many inside cameras.

    Thoughts much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ThePastyWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Electrified flooring for home defense

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    I am now entering the phase 4 of fortifying my home and wanted to ask this community if they can recommend a manufacturer or supplier for a very particular type of home defense product.

    I am looking for an indoor flooring material that supports configurable transmission of electric current -- similar to an electric fence but instead in the form of tile, wood plank, or synthetic material that can replace the flooring currently in my first floor entryway. My plan would be to remotely electrify this material when my home is under siege during a type II home invasion in order to stun and/or prompt aggressors to evacuate the first floor of my house, thereby negating the need for me to mount a counter-assault. I only need to deliver about 2,000 volts of electricity (on par with a standard electric fence) and obviously I need to be able to toggle this device on or off so that my family can safely walk on the floor during the day. Trouble is I am having a hard time finding anyone who manufacturers such a product. Has anyone successfully used such a device, or any similar device with electric properties, for home defense? Alternatively can you please refer me to a manufacturer? I am open to placing a custom order. Thanks for your consideration.

    submitted by /u/SandersIsSexist
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment