• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 22, 2020

    Home security: Closing on a house at the end of the month looking for input on a DIY security system

    Home security: Closing on a house at the end of the month looking for input on a DIY security system


    Closing on a house at the end of the month looking for input on a DIY security system

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Hello, I am moving to a fairly rural tiny house located on five acres of mostly wooded land and looking for suggestions on what security systems to consider.

    Entryway Doors: 1
    Windows: 11
    Notes: There is one drive way that leads up the house and the house cannot be seen from the road.

    I am leaning towards just having one security camera that sits on the front of the house to cover the front door and driveway leading up to the house and would like it to be PoE. I am not sure if I need a NVR or the most frugal way to have just one camera like that.

    I would also like to have a sensor on the door and windows that can chime when opened. Bonus points if we can arm/disarm the system and be alerted via phone somehow when it goes off when we aren't home. But I am hoping to avoid having to pay for home monitoring services.

    submitted by /u/OldLadyCoyote
    [link] [comments]

    Best camera for instant notifications for motion detection

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:08 PM PDT

    I wanted to get a camera to mainly use as a driveway sensor. The camera will be pointed down so it will detect motion when someone pulls in the driveway about 30 feet away. Im hoping to get notified by text or by app notifications right away that way I have time to put my dog away before the doorbell is pressed.

    So I'm looking for an IP camera with PTZ that will give instant notifications. That would also be good for security too with good night vision.

    I am looking to use POE.

    Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Healthyandkicking
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless window contact magnet and glass break combo sensors?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    Do these exist?

    submitted by /u/Ar8i7r3
    [link] [comments]

    University housing upgrades

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm looking for some advice to help me feel more safe as a young women in a university town and living in a multi dwelling house. I live on the second floor and my bedroom has a door that locks but the lock looks flimsy and I still don't feel like it's enough to protect against a possible intruder. Anyhow, any suggestions for something that I can afford on a college budget? TIA

    submitted by /u/whydibother
    [link] [comments]

    Question about moving from Vivint system to a more DIY approach

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    We had a Vivnt system installed in our house back in 2014. It uses a rebranded 2GIG GC2 panel with a number of door sensors, glass break sensors, and smoke sensors.

    Our initial contract is obviously over with. While we haven't really had any issues with it, I'd like to move into a more DIY system and forgo the larger monthly payment to Vivint.

    I want to keep using all the sensors, yet upgrade the panel so I can use it with some of our other smarthome things (Google, mostly). What are my options? Can I use any 2GIG panel? After that, what do I use for monitoring? Do the monitoring companies use an app through which I can see what's going on in my system?

    submitted by /u/funksolebrotha
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi Option with Safewatch Pro 3000?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    I moved into a home with a loaded ADT setup, but not planning to pay $50/mo. Came from Simplisafe, and I liked just being able to arm/disarm and monitor. I read that I can add an envisalink 4 but it requires Ethernet. I don't have a cable anywhere near the ADT box. Is there another option that will be almost plug and play, that can just simply connect to my WiFi connection?

    Here's a link to pictures all my ADT box. http://imgur.com/gallery/wRDb7VV

    Note: I also have a router... As well as another white panel with an antenna... Not sure why I have both. Anyone?

    submitted by /u/Christophunkk
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV options

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Im looking for some advice on designing my own security camera system. Im buying my first home and while there are tons of bluetooth options, Id prefer a hard wired system. I might prefer a kit but Im also open to buying components indiviually. I always see some shitty grainy footage of peoples system online. So Id like to have good day/night cameras probably 4-8 total with out requiring a light source at night. Id also like notifications sent to my phone if it detects movement.(or would that get annoying?) As far as software, can I set certain cameras to lock at a certain magnification to maybe get a better view of the road from my driveway. Im not too familiar with brands and which are good.

    submitted by /u/bourbontooth
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless Camera with Motion Alert with no internet

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Are there any cameras out there that offer motion alerts on a smartphone but do not require the Internet, or even better, do not require Wi-Fi?

    Use case: Family lives in a rural town and just use cell phones or sometimes a hot-spot for connectivity. They work from home now like most of us and would like a motion-activated camera over the driveway to alert them of movement.

    Obviously it would only work when they are home - I'm thinking a phone app + possibly WiFi.

    Any thoughts? TIA

    submitted by /u/ayoungblood84
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice on open source security solution

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm new to the Home Security scene, and just starting to learn, so go easy on me :)

     

    Background

    I currently have an Ubiquiti UniFi network setup. I recently upgraded to 4 switches and 2 access points in my house (3 bedroom semi-detached), and it's working very well. I am running the UniFi controller inside a Docker container in a virtual machine on a fairly old server running VMWare ESXi:

    • 8 CPUs x AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

    • 24GB DDR3 RAM

    • 2TB datastore on two 1TB WD Green drives.

     

    Originally, I was looking to get some Ubiquiti UniFi cameras to add onto my setup, but UniFi is looking much less attractive after they announced they were going End-of-life with UniFi Video, and their replacement solution UniFi Protect is not fully featured yet, cannot be self hosted, is completely cloud dependant, and requires their own proprietary NVR. So instead of Ubiquiti getting my money, I'm looking to roll my own solution. I feel much better about not being vendor locked anyway.

     

    NVR

    Right now I'm researching ZoneMinder as the main NVR option.

    I looked at Shinobi and it seems a bit sketchy. If anyone wants to talk me into another open source NVR software, and out of ZoneMinder, I'm all ears.

    I'm a Linux guy, so Blue Iris is out, as it only runs on Windows.

    I read through Jason Antman's Blog where he compared a number of software solutions, and ZoneMinder still seems to be the most stable.

    I'm a bit concerned that adding the NVR into my virtual machine on such an old CPU may push it too hard. I'm considering building a separate box as the NVR with an AMD Ryzen CPU, and some WD Purple drives. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm not using a huge amount of CPU or memory on the VMWare box right now, so there are resources to spare. Hard drive space I will have to figure something out though. I'd prefer not to use my NAS to store the videos, but have something dedicated for the NVR.

     

    Cameras

    I'm mainly looking at the Amcrest camera lineup right now. They look pretty attractive to me. I like that they aren't cloud dependant and not really vendor locked. I did read that they do go out to AWS to get updates which is a bit sketchy, but I can jail them in their own VLAN so they can't get out to the internet, and only talk to the NVR.

    If anyone can suggest other camera lines to look at, please let me know, but this is what I was thinking of getting:

     

    I'd appreciate any advice on what else to consider.

    submitted by /u/TheOneBlackMage
    [link] [comments]

    IQMotion False Alarms from Supervisory Heartbeat?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. Need some input from the pros.

    I have a Qolsys IQMotion sensor that's been giving me trouble. It's being used with an FP alarmdotcom system.

    The sensor has been falsely giving motion detection signals randomly throughout the night and day. I thought it might be the batteries (they were the original batteries, about 5 years old). The old batteries metered ok, so I'm guessing that wasn't the cause. But now instead of randomly getting the alarm, it triggers every 71 minutes during idle times.

    The sensor is in the exact same position it's been in since it's been installed, and none of the other motion sensors are doing the same thing (all were activated and installed at the same time).

    Sensor: Qolsys IQ Motion (Model: QS-1200-P01) Panel: Interlogix SimonXT

    Since the event happens at frequent intervals (every 71 minutes), I suspect its the supervisory heartbeat, but I can't figure out how and why it's happening. Any help or input is really appreciated.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/dlaynomore
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-wired for alarm system

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, just purchased a new home. House is pre-wired for alarm, sensors at all doors and windows but only one side of sensor is installed at each spot. I know there are 3 spots the pre-wire for the keypads are run to. Also have a plate on corner for motion sensor. I have 15 windows which many I would prefer on their own zone unless they are in the same room. Planning on 1 indoor siren. I would still like multiple keypads around home. I am thinking about also using konnected for smart home ability. I plan in installing myself. I have been researching the Vista20p. Any recommendations on other things I may need?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/gdupoux
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor, Wireless, Battery Powered locally stored camera NVR/NAS kit?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    Is there any brand/kit/setup that fits the criteria of:

    1. Good battery life so frequent recharging isnt needed
    2. Local storage options such as NAS/NVR
    3. Wireless, with or without a base that can act as a connection between a router and the location of the cameras (any setup that allows multiple bases with routers to cover larger areas?)
    4. Supports up to 5+ cameras

    Or is it impossible to find a battery powered IP wireless camera that isn't locked into some sort of cloud subscription system?

    I saw that Eufy Cam 2/E/2C checked the most boxes but only comes with 16gb of SDcard storage and was limited to a 128GB SDCard capacity offering no other expanded storage solution. Plus I read some reviews that the IR sensor on the camera could bug out and drain the battery life of the camera in under 1 day!

    I also looked a little at Hikvision NVR but didn't see any wireless battery cameras offered on their website. Are there any 3rd party cameras for something like that?

    submitted by /u/rW0HgFyxoJhYka
    [link] [comments]

    Security Account Takeover

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I have an Alder security account that I no longer need and I'd like to transfer it to someone. It currently comes with a motion detector, 2 door sensors, CO and smoke detector, medical alerts, and of course camera and keypad. It can be adjusted to suit your needs. If anyone is interested please let me know.

    submitted by /u/Infinite_Nothing8612
    [link] [comments]

    Security for an Outward-Swinging Door

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    Hello! I have an outward swinging front door and I'm a bit concerned about security in my neighborhood. Any advice on how to further secure it from break-ins, aside from a deadbolt which the door already has?

    submitted by /u/socwerk
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless indoor/outdoor sirens

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 02:55 AM PDT

    What sirens does everybody recommend that work with Alexa and Wyze?

    submitted by /u/apl2291
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment