• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    Home security: HOA president doesn't like me having a camera, she is demanding a pros and cons list of having an exterior camera

    Home security: HOA president doesn't like me having a camera, she is demanding a pros and cons list of having an exterior camera


    HOA president doesn't like me having a camera, she is demanding a pros and cons list of having an exterior camera

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    I live in a townhome. I have a corner lot 1 side facing a very busy street that is a main route to a hospital. The other side is a cul-del-sac.

    i have 3 cameras total on the outside of the house. 1 overlooking the 2 cars we park outsided of our garage, 1 is our doorbell cam and one under a deck that can see our driveway and the corner of the busy street and cul-de-sac as well as my porch with my grill and smoker.

    My wife and i have had our cars broken into in march and our now 4 year old daughter was almost taken from our yard while my wife was outside watching her by a man in a work van that crept through the cul-de-sac, got out, walked towards our kid and when confronted by my wife, ran back to his van and drove off in a hurry.

    My Pros:
    * watch over my vehicles (there is a lot of ped. traffic on the sidewalk for that busy street (30 ft away from the vehicles).

    • keep an eye out via motion detection on the points of entry to our house

    • have a sense of security or at least be forewarned when suspicious activity is happening around our house.

    • cameras are there and watching out for us when the police are still on their way.

    any other pros / cons i could list? the cameras are Eufy cameras that do not record 24/7. my neighbor that i share a driveway with has said he is okay with the cameras, he even has a doorbell cam.

    submitted by /u/Geig
    [link] [comments]

    Buy a damn camera...

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    So today since my Jeep is overheating I borrowed a friends vehicle and left my keys at home. It is extremely easy to break into a house when a deadbolt is left unlocked(I already unlocked my nest/yale lock). I probably spent 30 minutes trying to break into my hoyse during the busiest part of the day for my street. 15 cars passed by, several runners and dog walkers passed by and waved not a single person asked why I was trying to break into the house. The only thing I did that made it look like I lived there was check my mail and vape on the front porch in 100 degree heat. Not a single person seemed to care(I live in an area full of nosy people. Had someone tried to break in when I wasn't home my door alarm would have gone off, but without that alarm and camera my house could have been emptied of all it's valuables before I even noticed.

    Having a camera would mean finding the person that breaks in and potentially getting my stuff back. No camera means all the stuff would be gone and I would have nothing to give to the police.

    Please for your safety and peace of mind get a camera, even a cheap one will do.

    submitted by /u/shockycbs
    [link] [comments]

    How to measure and order a Security screen door.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:55 AM PDT

    I'm looking to order a Security door for my house. But I can't find any info on how to measure for it. Do you measure the inside frame or outside? etc..

    submitted by /u/Home_Owner_John
    [link] [comments]

    Cold weather camera recommendations

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    I'm in the Midwest where the winters can be brutal. Would a regular Reolink/Amcrest PoE setup do to survive the winters we have or would I have to look for an extreme weather camera like GeoVision?

    Any anecdotal experience/evidence would help

    submitted by /u/C_Tone
    [link] [comments]

    DIY alarnmsyatrmm system with glassbreak detrxecors

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    Hi all, Looking for some advice in do it yourself alarm systems that I can add monitoring too and that have glass break detectors. So far I've found Abode that has acoustic glassbreak and I can add monitoring. Are there any other systems I should be looking at, especially since I've seen mixed reviews of Abode.

    For context, there are a lot of windows which I'd rather cover with glass break and motion detectors vs putting window sensors on them.

    Edit: Apparently my spelling fixes when I was on mobile didn't change, apologize for the title that makes it look like I was drunk.

    submitted by /u/theazman
    [link] [comments]

    What are the camera choices that can fit this specific need?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    I rent a home a want to set up temporary camera in my kids room. It's a small place so I have two children under five in a room together. My concern is that the oldest is waking up the youngest and has learned to do it quietly.

    I need a night vision capable camera that can do live monitoring and preferably have 12 hours of stored recording. I need to be able to install it in a rental and view it live in another room.

    I plan to do the whole POE camera network when I buy our next home but I need a temporary solution for circumstance. I am incredibly new to home security. I would like to avoid anything that could allow a hacker to view the camera, though I am not worried about jamming as long as they could not watch the feed.

    I have read several posts and saw that you guys are super knowledgeable and helpful, so thank you at least for having this sub.

    submitted by /u/theSaxy
    [link] [comments]

    Abode Home Security?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:38 AM PDT

    I made the mistake of using Vivint for my last house, but now I'm moving and looking for a new security company. How has Abode worked for people? I'm reading through reviews but it's a lot to process.

    submitted by /u/the_8th_weasley
    [link] [comments]

    [DISCUSSION] Ways malicious people might actively spread CoronaVirus and ways to reduce that risk.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    For whatever reason, things are getting more intense around the world. As the world knows Australia burns during the summer. Some of those fires are deliberate, set in malice. I expect the same kind of antisocial behaviour might start popping up with regard to coronavirus. In my local subreddit someone posted that they received a hand written letter. I advised that they should wash their hands, reasonable in these times. But it got me thinking as to ways people might try to spread disease for whatever reason. Has anyone got any other tips or things to be cautious about?

    It might be more personal security but it was a letterbox that got me thinking abut this, as I'm basically in a bug in situation.

    submitted by /u/dumblederp
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend home security bars grate solution with fire escape capability.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Hi I am looking for burglar security bar or grates to protect our home.

    Looking for solutions that are diy and customizable. Windows are oversized/non standard?

    Can anyone recommend a product? I don't know what questions to ask so I'm sorry if this is a poor quality post.

    We need solutions that will not lock people inside in case of a fire.

    submitted by /u/cryocom
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on dealing with shed theif

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Hi il apologise now just incase this is a bit long. I'm basically looking for advice on dealing with someone who keeps trying to steal from my garden/shed and who I have caught sneaking around the property.

    I first encountered him when my girlfriend noticed him raiding our shed in Broad day light through the bed room window. I went out and confronted him basically asked what the hell he was doing. He apologised a lot and seemed to have something under his jacket so I didn't let him leave until he showed me, it was half a bottle of wine. I believe he was trying to get to my lawnmower maybe as its the only thing of any value in there. It dawned on me that he was some sad alcoholic he was about late forties and I could tell he was drunk even though it was the middle of the day. For this reason I kind of went easy on him told him to get the fuck off my property and not to come back. I figured it was relatively harmless and likely a result of him being drunk.

    Il say at this point I see this guy walking back and forth down my street all the time going to and from the shops and his house so I vaguely recognised him. about a year ago I caught him really looking over my fence (not a high fence) he said he was interested in buying my bicycle now I realise it was probably an excuse. I told him it wasn't for sale and pretty much forgot about him until recently. Since then things have gone missing in my shed but honestly I put it down to me being good at losing things ( nothing of substantial value is left in there).

    Anyway I assumed me catching him red handed and shouting at him would have put him off but today I encountered him again. I was driving away from the house ( on a motorcycle in gear so he couldn't tell it was me) and I noticed him heading up the street in the direction of my house so I waited a couple of minutes then drove back to my house just to check what he was up to. I caught him leaning over my fence trying to look into my shed ( which by this point has a lock) I pulled up reved a bit so he'd notice I was there and he walked away. I realised that clearly I didn't get the point across last time so caught up with him down the road. And confronted him again, he didn't realise it was me so tried to tell me there was a bike for sale in the house and he was trying to see it. I called bullshit told him who I was, this time I was very confrontational pushed him and threatened him against ever even looking in my garden again. Think I gave him a fair scare as I pulled up onto the pavement infront of him and immediately got in his face, at first he probably thought he was about to be robbed.

    I don't know how correctly I acted but I felt he needed a bit more of a scare to warn him off. Am I over reacting? I just don't want people letting themselves into my garden and sneaking around the house while I'm out. I have some new cameras on the way and I have motion activated lights etc. If I catch him again what is my best course of action? Do you think I have reason to be concerned about him trying to enter the house?

    Anyway sorry about the long read. I would appreciate any advice :)

    submitted by /u/chrisbarrett97
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment