• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    Home security: The questions that the customer service worker for a potential security provider asked made me uncomfortable. What’s normal?

    Home security: The questions that the customer service worker for a potential security provider asked made me uncomfortable. What’s normal?


    The questions that the customer service worker for a potential security provider asked made me uncomfortable. What’s normal?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Myself and my spouse recently purchased a home, and the previous home owners used a particular security company. They said they really liked using them, as do our neighbors who use their services as well. We were left with a couple pieces of equipment when we bought the house and thought we'd get a quote from them since we already had some of their equipment. I left my number on their website a couple days ago, and today someone from their customer service called me and we were on the phone for 20+ minutes. He was polite, but I felt slightly uneasy. His whole approach to the conversation felt odd to me. He pulled up our homes photos on Zillow to judge what we'd need, he asked if we had any dogs, and he made a joking comment asking if we had any guns because we live in the south. He also asked if we're home frequently. Maybe I've just watched too much criminal minds in my life, so I'm a bit hyper aware of anyone potentially sketchy, but the whole conversation, I felt slightly uneasy. I've never gotten a quote from a security company before so I don't know what questions are normal, and when they're not. Am I being over the top, or were his questions to be expected?

    submitted by /u/_themoodyblue
    [link] [comments]

    New house. Need recommendations for wired, PoE IP cameras.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I bought my first house and I'm looking to install a camera system. I already have security monitoring through Brinks, so I won't need the cameras monitored at this time.

    I have a contractor coming out who is going to run Cat5 to the eves of the 4 corners of the house for me, and wire/punch down everything in my office. I'll have a total of 5 outdoor drops. They can't install any customer-provided cameras, so they're just doing the labor for the cable runs for me. I'm a network engineer by trade, so I won't need any help with the networking/VLAN/security aspects of the camera system.

    I have a few questions for the community:

    1) Is there a popular recommendation for PoE IP cameras with local recording? I suppose I should opt for 4K resolution, but I imagine 1080P w/ night vision would be fine. I would probably only need audio recording on two of the 4 cameras, but even without it is fine.

    2) Assuming that I know how to access my home network at any given time, do any of the COTS solutions offer local recording w/ an App for remote access?

    3) Do any of the COTS solutions work with Alexa/Google and allow me to view them using the Echo Show, for instance, or control the cameras using the voice assistants?

    4) How does the community handle storage? I'm seeing some solutions come with 2 or 3TB HDD's, which is fine, but I would follow the 3-2-1 rule and backup my footage w/ 3 copies/2 different media types, with one off-site (AWS glacier cloud, most likely). My thought process right now is to have the built-in storage be location #1, backup #2 be on my desktop upstairs, backup #3 to my local NAS w/ 4TB in RAID 1, and mirror backup #3 to AWS Glacier storage. Is this a sound strategy?

    5) Following #4 above, are there any recommended solutions that integrate with Synology NAS? If not, is there another brand of NAS that is recommended?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/TsuDoughNym
    [link] [comments]

    Best options for a security system for a one story rental home? Minimal (if at all) drilling or damage?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    I have three young kids. We will be living in a smaller on story home for at least a year. Our old house had a wired/poe system. The landlord has already said he doesn't want "wired" or "excessive drilling."

    I'm not saying I will spare no expense...but I'm willing to do what I can to keep my family safe. I travel a lot so I want to be able to see everything at least externally and make sure there is some type of alarm.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/woodhavenapherical
    [link] [comments]

    Cost of getting outdoor security cameras wired?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    My wife and I bought some battery powered Arlo cameras a few years ago. However, having to recharge them every few weeks is getting really annoying and we'd like to look into getting some cameras wired into the house. Does anyone know how much this sort of thing tends to cost? We would want three outdoor cameras wired to the house.

    We live in Canada, in case that matters.

    submitted by /u/jplank1983
    [link] [comments]

    IP Camera Help - Previously Owned

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    I bought a house that had a security monitoring service using a lyric controller and Honeywell devices. It also has 5 Honeywell IPCAM-WOC1 cameras.

    I have the MAC address but the only way I can figure out to connect them is through total connect 2.0 which I'm understanding would have to pay a security subscription to get an account.

    Is there any way to manually connect to these? There is a reset button on the wiring of the camera but no plug for Ethernet.

    submitted by /u/jd2004ed
    [link] [comments]

    Please help recommend an Outdoor Wifi Light-Bulb-Socket Camera

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    I am looking for an wifi outdoors camera that is powered by a light bulb socket.

    I saw a few light socket cameras on amazon but many had terrible reviews for their interfaces. Right now I use Alfred Camera and think their interface app is great but Alfred Camera is not suitable for outdoors. I need now a device for the outdoors where the power source is a light socket.

    the camera should:

    connect to wifi.

    record clips when motion is detected, temporarily saved somewhere, and viewable remotely.

    clips should be viewable from at least two different iphones.

    camera should be able to auto-resume after power disruption. i know some cameras require pressing power button after power disruption.

    the area is already lit up by adjacent floodlights, so the camera itself does not need to also provide lighting.

    my goal is to find a camera to show my partner across the county and I who/what is using our dumpster across town with minimum fuss. the system should record clips just when motion is detected for my partner and I to view. the camera has access to wifi internet only and only the power from a floodlight light socket for power.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/savehoward
    [link] [comments]

    Dual Path Wi-Fi on the QoQolsys IQ 2+

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    I am having trouble my new Qolsys IQ 2+ and Dual Path Wi-Fi using Alarm.com. When running a test, I'm getting the following errors. 1. Didn't get response from backend. Please wait... 2. Connection to backend is pending. Please wait... 3. Didn't get receipt from backend. Please wait...

    I have been in contact with Surety Home's technical support and they have been in touch with ADC and Qolsys. The connection is attempting to be made on Port 16455. I just received a message that Qolsys has escalated the issue to its Product Development Team. My panel version is 2.5.2. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue and if you have had any success in resolving this issue?

    submitted by /u/Real_Carlisle
    [link] [comments]

    Home security remote server for FTP

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    I'm using mostly Reolink devices, but their Cloud is not available in my country. As they enabled users to use FTP in order to store recordings, I'm interested if there is any suggestion which one to buy/pay annualy/monthly? I only need 32 or max 64 GB of storage with possibility to configure FTP.

    submitted by /u/liqvi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment